How do you feel about the reaction changes ?

ADM

How do you feel about the reaction changes ?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Was the "Sad" reaction helpful ?

2. 2. Was the "Confused" reaction helpful ?

3. 3. Should we have more reactions ?

• Yep
    • Nah
    • I'd like reaction options on topic creation
    • I'd like unique reactions on different sub-forums
    • Other (explain)
  4. 4. What do you think of the "Community reputation" system ?

• It's good
    • It's bad
    • I really don't care
    • It should have more importance
    • Give me reddit karma

I think we should make a new thread to suggest new reacts! Would be great!

To be somewhat on topic, if people target and harrass others with reacts continues, do you guys think itd be a good idea to make reactions anonymous? No one can see who reacted to their posts.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

To be somewhat on topic, if people target and harrass others with reacts continues, do you guys think itd be a good idea to make reactions anonymous? No one can see who reacted to their posts.

That could segway very nicely into adding up and down vote reactions, which I think we do need here.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

do you guys think itd be a good idea to make reactions anonymous? No one can see who reacted to their posts.

Not exactly sure I'd like the reaction system to be abused like the Confusion button was presumed. I still stand by what I said. Though "laugh" is considered a concerning trip to the edge as "bullying". So let's be careful.

We're almost all to blame here. Yes, including everyone I've seen naming names, you too, and me. Let's not go scapegoating here.

With that said:

Speaking from personal experience, yes, I have felt frustrated/uncomfortable receiving confused reacts, but I have felt the same reading people's words. The only difference is that when some reacts to you with words you get a chance of replying and defending your point. When someone reacts with the emote button, you kind of... just have to take it.

I'm curious to see how the forum goes from here. It's definitely worth the experiment before we continue pushing our arguments on the topic. Nothing's gonna blow up.

If it all goes to hell and for some reason the reacts come back, I would bet that the time out from them will have been enough of a cold shower for the confused button "abusers" to take the message and chill out a bit.

9 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I think we should make a new thread to suggest new reacts! Would be great!

anon reacts would take away a lot of the "they are just trolling me and aren't actually here to engage" reactions from the one receiving the react but i am not sure if it changes the way certain members will see it. not knowing the name of the persons who are unhappy doesn't change how fragile some people can be when they cannot see themselves in the right

personally i would be all in for it. i'm not always happy to get a negative reaction but it beats out having someone actually say something abusive to my face then being told it is my fault for looking and i should just pretend i don't see it, yanno? also some of the suggestions i see floating around are really inappropriate but not actually reportable and letting the community express dissatisfaction lets staff know that the person saying it is an outlier and not speaking for everyone else

24 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Well bois we did it. We annoyed a dev into giving us Sad back

Naw =)

I think we landed in a good place.

The issue came down people feeling targeted and my ability to decipher what was happening and deal with it. I think where we are at now helps both of those things. 

I'm sorry but not having anything remotely close to a dislike/downvote button on the forums (which is a place that should be used to discuss the game and it's future, among other things of course) is very counterproductive and borderline dismissive. Disagreeing or disliking something shouldn't be considered a bad thing nor should a simple emoji be considered harassment. I want to know when someone dislikes or disagrees with something that I've posted and I'd say that more people use reacts than they actually reply to the post themselves. That's because it's easier and there's also heaps of people that don't feel comfortable being as vocal as others on the forums- reacts allow them to give their input and acknowledgement without having to actually reply to the thread. 

I don't think the problem here is the reacts and I don't think that removing them will help much at all. The problem, unfortunately, is more with some of the members of this community.

People have bad takes, that much is simple And frankly, While It's always better to have a civil discussion about something, sometimes you just need to be able to tell someone they're take is bad and be on your way. While it definitly shouldn't be used for harrasment, I don't think that's really a good reason to remove an entire reaction that had an entirely valid use, Unless that harassments was incredibly wide spread.

1 minute ago, Theukon-dos said:

People have bad takes, that much is simple And frankly, While It's always better to have a civil discussion about something, sometimes you just need to be able to tell someone they're take is bad and be on your way. While it definitly shouldn't be used for harrasment, I don't think that's really a good reason to remove an entire reaction that had an entirely valid use, Unless that harassments was incredibly wide spread.

If you disagree with something then you should rather tell the one you disagree with why you disagree with him and not just give him a "F*** you!" answer (what was literally the effect of the confused reaction), because that won't help anyone.

Just now, Viktor234 said:

If you disagree with something then you should rather tell the one you disagree with why you disagree with him and not just give him a "F*** you!" answer (what was literally the effect of the confused reaction), because that won't help anyone.

people did that before though and those sometimes ended up being actual acts of public abuse

15 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Disagreeing shouldn't be a bad thing nor should it be negative. There's a healthy way to go about it and your way seems a lot more toxic than a simple dislike button. And to be honest sometimes I want to know if someone dislikes something I've done without my thread being clogged up with a bunch of "hey this sucks!". Sometimes an actual discussion is needed and other times a simple dislike is enough. 

Not to mention English isn't a lot of peoples first language so it can be kind of difficult for them to actually reply, reacts are pretty universal. 

10 minutes ago, gaymime said:

people did that before though and those sometimes ended up being actual acts of public abuse

In that case forumers should consider using the report button.

2 minutes ago, reichull said:

sometimes I want to know if someone dislikes something I've done

If you really want to know if others do like or dislike whatever you've done, you could just start a poll. That would also motivate other forumers to tell you if they like it or dislike it.

On the topic of anonymised reacts, I'd prefer not to do that with the remaining four reactions, because I don't think it would help that much as an anti-harassment tactic (if you're arguing with someone and your post gets 4 likes, 3 thankses and 1 clearly inappropriate "haha" or "sad", there's an obvious prime suspect for who planted it) and I like being able to tell when I get a positive react from someone I don't regularly receive them from. Like when I made a silly joke about Webber last month and got a 'haha' from nome, for instance!

I think downvotes have value as a feature, mainly as an easily visible indicator of suggestions that are very unpopular with the community (or posts that may or may not contain bad ideas but are really badly written, I suppose). But being on the receiving end does tend to upset or irritate people, so I think it's fair for moderators to look at the pros and cons of an upvote/downvote system and decide they'd rather not deal with the resulting negativity. And having an unofficial, improvised downvote button was worse than either having an official one or not having anything of the sort.

Oh well, we did it indeed ! Our favorite sad face is back but as I said nothing about this was important or expected an actual return, my point was to see if the community had a positive/negative opinion about this surprising change but in addition to that we've got a bunch of original opinions on such little reactions and I learned some stuff as I've read all of them (and mods sure did as well), never underestimate how far people can go for a confused face, but I'd say, that's how forums work... in conclusion :

democrasad.thumb.png.b953fc86f9657fa481117b1ccf3931aa.png

Yooooo what's going on ? o_O

Are those test reactions, @JoeW ? I think we should follow @Hornete's ideas and make a design thread for these new reactions then ! :)

Just now, TheHollowKnight said:

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 7.11.54 PM.png

Men, I'd love these one as actual forum emojis so I don't have to copy the images from the wiki or upload new images everytime :wilson_curious:

Archived