How do you feel about the reaction changes ?

ADM

How do you feel about the reaction changes ?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Was the "Sad" reaction helpful ?

2. 2. Was the "Confused" reaction helpful ?

3. 3. Should we have more reactions ?

• Yep
    • Nah
    • I'd like reaction options on topic creation
    • I'd like unique reactions on different sub-forums
    • Other (explain)
  4. 4. What do you think of the "Community reputation" system ?

• It's good
    • It's bad
    • I really don't care
    • It should have more importance
    • Give me reddit karma

Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but i'm happy with no "bad" emotes. Why should every comment be judged? And who are we to judge others people comments anyway? I think of the positive emotes as a way to show some extra gratitude, saying thanks or laughing at a joke. 

Downvoting is a trend Youtube and Reddit kind of set imo. I remember when i was younger other games forums didnt allow nor have "upvotes" or "downvotes" system. Only the moderators could give some forum points. And your "reputation" was measured by both forum points and the amount of comments and posts. I think that helps with a good environment i mean you don't have to judge everything if you don't agree you can answer, ignore or just move on. Is someone rude? Report the post then...

Idk... those are just my thoughts

The confused reaction was being used to annoy/harass people. Or at least, that's how it has been making people feel. This has been going on a while, and it's just not worth keeping the negative reactions around. 

Positive reactions contributed to rep, negative did not. However, negative reactions also didn't lower rep.

Those negative reactions help set a tone for replies on the forum. They put people on the defensive and make them feel targeted, so they make heated replies, which again causes more reactions and spirals downhill. 

6 hours ago, Well-met said:

remove the positive ones too.

make people have to put effort into telling what they like about somebody's thoughts.

make internet forums great again.

this'd be pretty interesting and i'd almost prefer it this way if this is the way we're going

26 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Why was the Sad react removed? Was it considered negative too?

Because it would just replace confused. 

I'd remove all the forum reactions if I thought it solved something. You could argue that it's low effort, but I don't really see the problem with a low effort positive reaction. Low effort negative reactions cause problems. 

28 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Perhaps it is best to remove everything if this is a issue.

How so? 

5 minutes ago, JoeW said:

How so? 

All I wanted is Sad back. Confusion I can understand but positivity is not the same as being honest. I disagree with depression being a negative emotion. I am very disappointed that I cannot agree with this decision.

Apathy is not the same as agreement.

Removing the confused react is fair enough, in my opinion. The encounter I had a couple weeks ago where someone I ran into in a Reforged server said I confused reacted them last week and it hurt their feelings, and I had no idea who they were on here or what post they were talking about, sticks in my mind. (I awkwardly apologised, because what else could I do?)

I'm not convinced that the sad react really would become Confused React 2.0 if it had been kept around, because it already had an established niche of expressing sympathy or, as @Brubs said, that a post moved you emotionally; if anything I might have expected out-of-place, mocking 'haha' reacts to become the new snide dislike button instead, because I've received a couple of those on posts that didn't have anything in them that was intended to be funny. (Not that I'm suggesting the haha react be removed because of this; most of its uses are genuinely positive, it's just a bit more context-dependent than 'thanks' or 'like'. Which I do use in different contexts from each other, by the way!) I mostly saw sad reacts on posts that had things like sad fanart or discussion of Warly's Maman or Abigail's death or times when players died in especially frustrating ways, and while I suppose it's possible that the people who really wanted a button to downvote each other's posts with would abruptly co-opt it without regard for its previous use, I want to believe that it wouldn't be that bad. Or at least, that few enough people would do it that the problem could be solved by telling them to cut it out.

Ok - we'll see how it goes. 

I added sad back, it is also a positive reaction. I was wrong, and I had it as a +1 positive reaction before as well, I assume because I thought of it in the same way - a positive way to react that somebody was saying something that was "sad". 

7 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

I'm not convinced that the sad react really would become Confused React 2.0 if it had been kept around, because it already had an established niche of expressing sympathy or, as @Brubs said, that a post moved you emotionally

Exactly!

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Ok - we'll see how it goes. 

Let us show the world the ugly criers we are :cry:

29 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Because it would just replace confused.

soooo you are ok with the laughter button becoming the new negative reaction but not the sad button?

man, i really need a confused option right about now.

edit- well, at least i can go back to crying at the sad posts in the meme forum now. for a few hours there i was doling out a lot less reacts because i couldn't 'laugh' at the emotional ones

Right? 

Imagine having to decipher arguments with you all on these forums and trying to calm people down on their perceptions on what is being said. 

But also, using the laughter emote on a post that's obviously not funny or meant to be funny is much easier for me to interpret and much easier to see if somebody is specifically being targeted. 

Just now, JoeW said:

Imagine having to decipher arguments with you all on these forums and trying to calm people down on their perceptions on what is being said.

I want to apologize for the pressuring you were given today. I understand things are rough behind the scenes. Be safe where you are, man. Good luck to the rest of your team.

Just now, Canis said:

On the topic of reacts, can we have a "wow" react?

What would it look like? Do you have an emoji suggestion? I could see myself using a 'wow' react for stuff like really impressive fanart or feats of gameplay where 'thanks' is out of place but something stronger than 'like' would be nice to have.

Archived