Licensed Don't Starve Mobile Game (Don't Starve: Newhome)

3 minutes ago, Jujuba Humana said:

Wow, HYYYYPEEE! So Wilson created a parallel Constant where this game happens when the DS ends... Klei always think of every detail and delivers a wonderful lore. Nice job!

they only give the license, isnt canon

1 minute ago, Ogrecakes said:

Take the money and run I guess.

God this looks bad, Don't Starve seems to be getting more corrupted every year.

you couldnt choose a better avatar

Epic KCDA and Maślak bonding with same reacts. 

I'm not particulary fond of mobile games, but I like Don't Starve as a whole, so I hope it's gonna be good. (Also Tencent bad, you guessed it)
In all seriousness I want to see some new lore or something, so it's cool, will follow the news.

Stay safe everyone!

To everyone going "This looks like a cheap chinese knock-off", it kinda is.

This is a common thing recently, where a chinese publisher (usually tencent) offers to make a game more suitable to the chinese audience (As you may know, DST is pretty popular in China, so this offer would obviously seem like a good marketing move). This also allows a studio to not have to develop their content to the Chinese audience because they have their own variant. Something interesting, though, is this game will be releasing in the west as well.

As you can see from the trailer, it's just Don't Starve mobile with  abunch fo weird extra mechanics and characters attached on, basically a way to create a very different game using similar assets. Something similar can be seen with the PvZ2 China apps, though those are exclusive to China, so i'm curious to see how this operates.  

I'm a little apprehensive, since I like Klei Don't Starve much more. This seems much more Fantasy inspired, which, y'know, is fine, but it's not really my cup of tea when it comes to surviving in the constant. 

I'll give it a chance, but I hope the game ends up separate from the rest of them. 

42 minutes ago, bruh momento said:

klei pulling up a riot games by showing a game out of no where

Well it is developed by Tencent, same people who own league of Legends (not make), so no surprise for me.

2 minutes ago, Pandawee said:

I feel it! *-*

Sometimes I think about showing up at a Klei artist's house and offering to work cleaning, removing snow and shopping in exchange for classes, food and a place to sleep. Hahahaha

Klei.png

Wait there’s a kickstarter campaign for this.. but not other much more important things people have been begging for? Uhm uhh okay Wow. For everyone’s sanity sake I’ll refrain from playing my broken record BUT!!

I Do have a “Lore” Theory about this mobile game.. it appears that everyone in it is mostly children... Maybe this explains where Pipspook are coming from? 

4 minutes ago, BreadScientist said:

To everyone going "This looks like a cheap chinese knock-off", it kinda is.

This is a common thing recently, where a chinese publisher (usually tencent) offers to make a game more suitable to the chinese audience (As you may know, DST is pretty popular in China, so this offer would obviously seem like a good marketing move). This also allows a studio to not have to develop their content to the Chinese audience because they have their own variant. Something interesting, though, is this game will be releasing in the west as well.

As you can see from the trailer, it's just Don't Starve mobile with  abunch fo weird extra mechanics and characters attached on, basically a way to create a very different game using similar assets. Something similar can be seen with the PvZ2 China apps, though those are exclusive to China, so i'm curious to see how this operates.  

The Chinese market is really strong for any industry. We in Brazil only hope that the values do not accompany the base of other games aimed at the Chinese public such as Saint Seya Awakening. For us the value of the dollar is higher than a minimum wage for some purchases unfortunately. But Klei's overall profit is encouraging because it also means more investments in other games.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wait there’s a kickstarter campaign for this.. but not other much more important things people have been begging for? Uhm uhh okay Wow. For everyone’s sanity sake I’ll refrain from playing my broken record BUT!!

I Do have a “Lore” Theory about this mobile game.. it appears that everyone in it is mostly children... Maybe this explains where Pipspook are coming from? 

Theory - is just what you want to see, there is no strong facts. I can relate by saying that its all in Wilson`s mind, simply because we saw that everything starts when camera move into Wilson`s eyes.

13 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

God this looks bad

It looks like Klei has no respect for his own game!

15 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Don't Starve seems to be getting more corrupted every year.

And even clentaminator won't deal with it.

I will be honest... this announcement disappoints me more than I can express through words. Tencent is not a company that is known for their ethics, and they are pretty much considered to be the EA of China. They are also heavily involved with censorship made by the Chinese government, as they own both WeChat and QQ, the two dominant social platforms in China. Their integrity can be summed up as "questionable", at the very best. Such censorship allows events such as the Tiananmen square massacre and the Uyghur concentrations camps to pass unnoticed, which is akin to pretending that the suffering of these people never existed. This is not right, and I do not think that these are actions that your studio condone.

Now, I understand that making a deal with Tencent would be extremely beneficial to Klei, but I do not think that the benefits are worth it. Klei has always been that quiet underrated studio developing masterpieces in my heart, and I wish nothing but the best for its economic development. But I cannot stand the idea of Klei being associated with a nefarious name such as Tencent and I sincerely believe that such an association will corrupt the very values that the studio hold dear to. Tencent's influence (and by extension, the Chinese government's influence) is spreading around the world at an alarming rate, as demonstrated by their ownership of a significant amount of shares in various game companies. They own about 25% of Activision, own over 50% of Supercell (majority stake, which means that they call the shots), and own stakes in nearly every significant game studios in existence. They are even considered to be the biggest game company in the world by some. Such a presence worries me, and events such as the censorship of the word "Uyghur" in LoL or the Blitzchung Hong Kong incident in Hearthstone should be taken as warning signs of what could happen if a biased company obtains too much influence on a game.

Reconsider your agreement with Tencent, I implore you. The games that Klei makes has been a safe haven for me so far, and Don't Starve is a franchise that has a special place in my heart. It being butchered by an unethical company such as Tencent would be a sight that I would not be able to withstand. Please, do not associate with them. I beg you.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This image is the home screen of Darkest Dungeon. The game here in question I believe you didn't have to go there.

I only raised her because of the artistic similarity between the games, which for me is very pleasant hehe.

About your theory ... "Klei multiverse" *-*

Archived