What aspect of the game do you want Klei to focus on more?

Do you want Klei to work more on Survival or Sandbox aspect of the game?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Klei to work more on Survival or Sandbox aspect of the game?

• Survival
    • Sandbox
    • I don't know

Hello, new thread.

Dst is a 'Survival-Sandbox'-type of a game. That's why I'm asking if you'd guys want Klei do focus more on survival aspect or sandbox aspect, of the game.

Because tbh I could find flaws in both of these.
Survival- well... for the last 2 years 90% of content didn't really impact general survival that much. Some of existing mechanics could use an update
Sandbox- most of decorative items fit in the same category: fancy. Player's can't really make whatever setpieces thay have in mind, skins help with that more than actual items. At the end of the day most megabases look pretty much the same.

Don't get me wrong, the stuff we receive is nice... but there's only so many optional tasks or uses for a statue one can get enjoyement from.

Discuss

I feel like another option should be just optional content or exploration. A lot of the recent things have fallen under this category IMO not necessarily sandbox elements. (Though some like the shells are)

I would rather have some more survival elements. Stuff that impacts you no matter where you are at some point in the game.

I think Sandbox and Survival go hand in hand with one another To be honest... and I can not fairly vote on this poll because 

Sandbox implies adding new biomes, new hostile mobs that want you dead and more of Sandbox for you to explore within.

Survival means (please read above sentence)

10 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Edit: This poll for sure needs more options as some others have said

It doesn't.

I'm not asking if you want more enemies, forced content or decorative items.

I'm asking if you play dst because of Survival or because of Sandbox.

Do you prefer fighting enemies, making farms or whatever or do you prefer building and 'shaping' the world to your likes (since this isn't Minecraft or Terraria and we can't really shape the world, but you get the idea)

9 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

I'm asking if you play dst because of Survival or because of Sandbox.

I play DST for both, I have a fun time enjoying the survival aspects for a year or 100+ days, after which I will focus on base building and more of the sandbox aspects.

No you asked- What should Klei focus more on. And I feel like that’s an unfair thing to ask.. because Sandbox and Survival are like a good super hero and a good villain without the other... NEITHER could actually exist.

To me the new AoE shattered spiders (which have been in the game since the first RoT update) on their own new island biome is just as much of a Survival thing, as it is a new Sandbox area to explore thing.

They need to give more incentive/ revamp farming imo. It's a lot easier to just grab a bunch of berry bushes (and more efficient too) and then a bunch of fertiliser for them, along with just creating a bunch of spider farms for meat and eggs, and have that be you're whole food situation mostly sorted. Really doing much else feels like putting in a whole lot of effort for not much more reward.

Survival, specifically they need to do more with caves. Ocean is a WIP, so Im not worried atm for it, but caves are dull. You only go there for lanterns and ruins, theres nothing that serves any importance down there. 

One huge change I'd love above all else is for the worlds to be more varied, a lot of worlds feel kind of samey in both games, when I played the switch port of Don't Starve I saw world generation differences like a pig king town right at spawn; I was very pleasantly surprised because I saw something that usually isn't in it's standard spot. 

Don't Starve and Together's world generation feels like a jigsaw puzzle where you put any piece where you want, but you can't change the pieces; here's some examples:

• if you find the cobblestone road, there's a 90% chance that it's going to lead to the deciduous forest and then to the pig king, with a sinkhole and glommer statue nearby, if you find the road in a swamp, or near a bunch of ponds you're probably going to run into chester. 
  • If you're at spawn and see all kinds of turf then you're close to a rock biome.
  • If you're in a desert biome, there's going to be that savanna bit in the middle with volt goats.
  • If you're in a thick forest with a road, you're probably going to run into that bit with the three beefalo with a few mandrake nearby, surrounding that bit will be a forest with a few graves, spiders, and some pig houses.

What I'd like is to make all these elements much more random and less grouped together, so if you find one thing you wont know that the other thing is probably there. More things like land bridges and other land generation changes would also be very nice. I think adding more elements of variation like juicy berry bushes wont fix the variety problem entirely since it's just adding more pieces, but they do help mix things up.

By your definition of sandbox, i'd prefer Klei focused on survival.

However the definition for sandbox in relation to games that I always think of is something like this-

"A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish."

(I took this from here- https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3952/sandbox-gaming . This is more or less how I would define "sandbox" in gaming).

Going by the above, I would like Klei to work on the "sandbox", the world we inhabit when we play. Doing this will also allow for Klei to work on survival at the same time.

Going by your definition of "sandbox", no. Of course I wouldn't want Klei to only work on skins.

Core game hasn't seen much love in a long time.

I want more focus on challenge, more seasonal threats, harder hound waves, a summer giant to replace the Dragonfly, anything like that really.

None of the Return of Them content interests me in the slightest because its not worth doing from a core, survival game focused player like me, fishing yields very little food for time spent, and you can just cast a line without lures and bait to get Wobsters right at the edge of the main island.

The moon island is just pillaged for its stone fruit and starfish traps, and then it provides nothing else of real value, the celestial altars crafts are mediocre compared to many other, much easier to obtain items, the Hermit crab provides nothing of survival use, the Malbatross and Crab King both have pretty worthless drops (so far), Gnarwails aren't worth hunting and they hardly show up, Skitter Squids I've seen maybe twice, and they just run off, and they dont provide useful drops. Unless you're playing Warly, salt is worthless and is only used once, and the Cookie Cutter Cap is also worthless, treasure hunting's drops are REALLY bad...

Pretty much every update has been about checklist, trophy content, that is "challenging", but completely optional and doesn't pose any constant threat, and often doesn't even yield a useful reward, more cosmetic and trophy stuff.

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Survival and cat creatures. I want more kitties in the game.:wilson_ecstatic:

Oh! I know what you'd want!   The... bacoons? Sadly, they never got implemented... But they look so CUTE in the concept art!

post-236059-0-26789200-1417633186_thumb.jpg.23b42a7267f4348f8adf4706c231a5e1.jpg Couldn't find a bigger image but I think it's visible enough.

Meanwhile I just want Hamlet Pogs in DST.. they happen to be cute and I’ve fallen in love with them!

(Hamlet seems to have a lot of the Stuff DST as a Whole suffers from..)

Lack of Challenge, Lack of Environment.. I mean yes today is the release of HAMLET on Xbox but from what I can tell by playing it content on this scale should’ve existed in DST a long time ago..

What I mean by that is- A Simple change like Poisonous Frogs that are in Hamlet.. can make you fear frogs again.

Hamlet seems to be overall advanced past DST.. and by that I mean the actual WORLD Itself- DST you can run around for wide stretches of empty vast lands filled with mostly nothing (or sometimes even ACTUALLY Nothing) 

Where as DS Hamlet seems to have a little more life, I saw some cute little Tree Squirrels (tiny little dudes and I didn’t try to interact with them..) as Well as some Pigeons & tiny little bugs crawling around in grass which were noticeably smaller in size then ANY of DST’s Mobs..

Disclaimer: I have not played Hamlet enough to clarify rather these almost microscopic looking mobs have any ACTUAL Gameplay purpose or if they’re simply just there to be purely cosmetic.. 

But I could tell just from the short play session I had in my Ham world that the Environment itself seems to feel more alive and bursting with life.  

TL:DR is I want more Sandbox Biomes to Survive within.

9 hours ago, joker177 said:

Of course, it’s both survival and sandbox

Well obviously. I'm not asking Klei to turn dst into survival-only or sandbox-only type of game. 

8 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

I feel like you make a post like this after every update.

I don't see the problem. In the slightest in fact

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Core game hasn't seen much love in a long time.

I want more focus on challenge, more seasonal threats, harder hound waves, a summer giant to replace the Dragonfly, anything like that really.

None of the Return of Them content interests me in the slightest because its not worth doing from a core, survival game focused player like me, fishing yields very little food for time spent, and you can just cast a line without lures and bait to get Wobsters right at the edge of the main island.

The moon island is just pillaged for its stone fruit and starfish traps, and then it provides nothing else of real value, the celestial altars crafts are mediocre compared to many other, much easier to obtain items, the Hermit crab provides nothing of survival use, the Malbatross and Crab King both have pretty worthless drops (so far), Gnarwails aren't worth hunting and they hardly show up, Skitter Squids I've seen maybe twice, and they just run off, and they dont provide useful drops. Unless you're playing Warly, salt is worthless and is only used once, and the Cookie Cutter Cap is also worthless, treasure hunting's drops are REALLY bad...

Pretty much every update has been about checklist, trophy content, that is "challenging", but completely optional and doesn't pose any constant threat, and often doesn't even yield a useful reward, more cosmetic and trophy stuff.

Well, in general, it is difficult to argue with you, because many aspects in reality do not give special advantages. It's frustrating. But on the other hand, developers need to lay a lot of groundwork before adding anything for everyday survival. So maybe in the future, developers will rework or be able to implement something new in the game.
Now it looks relaxing. The ocean doesn't make you sweat. It doesn't challenge you, make you wonder or learn something new. This is very sad, but I think it will all change over time.

Spoiler

Well, we should respect the work of developers, because they are trying to please us and they are also under pressure for deadlines ,_,

Archived