How would you improve the fighting system?

So as the dst develops it also needs to improve on it's existing mechanics. One of them is fighting. Klei's already in the proces of spicing things up (for example Shattered Spider's crystal attack or Skittersquid's ink blob).

I made this thead so that yall can share your ideas about how to make fighting more interesting

So here are some of my ideas:

-Spider with a fungal parasite, I've thrown this ideas around in previous threads of mine, it would use a simmilar mechanic to Gemmed Hounds'. Basically it would attack you like a normal spider but after you kill it it's bbody after let's say 3 seconds would burst into the same spore cloud that Toadstool uses.

Excuse my poor MS Paint drawings

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fd268b3b479021d3f33045af137d9e42.png

-Petrified enemy who you need to mine down in order to kill them. Pretty self-explanatory, something simmilar to how you cannot kill Poison Birchut Trees and instead need to chop tchem down. Except that this would be a moving enemy

-Utilizing other gems. We have red hounds and blue hounds but what about other gems? Well I tought that a giant moleworms would be pretty swell since molewroms eat anything rocks-related. Each one would have some sort of ability related to that gem.

-Adding weapons with abilities like in forge. 

-Enemies that can dodge- similar to Thief Pig or Scorpion from Hamlet who will jump back after being hit to not be stun locked

Share your ideas

I think a really interesting mechanic, especially for bosses would be to force the player to have more than armor and a weapon for a fight. For example an unavoidable attack that forces the player to put an enemy to sleep, requiring the use of Pan flutes. Or an armored enemy that has to be set on fire and then frozen to break their armor, or something unique - similar to the Forge enemies having their guard. I just think it'd make for more engaging combat.

Just give enemies more different attacks. Normal enemies can stay like they are, but bosses should have at least 2-3 different attacks.
Shattered Spiders aren't a good example for me, you can dodge their attack by walking towards them: Their ranged attack has a min range and thus they'll miss you if you come too close, giving you enough time to kill them.
The Winter's Feast Deerclops is a better example for me: He got two different attacks, the first one is a large AoE attack which forces you to keep distance, the second one is casted way faster than the first one but you can dodge it by stepping aside. A perhaps 3rd attack he has is his insanity aura: After some amount of time, shadows will keep spawning and interupt your battle. Unlike Moose/Goose or Bearger you can't or don't need to keep repeating the same kiting pattern.
Also add bosses some kind of a scaling, depending on how many players are fighting the boss: Soloing a boss is a nice challenge, but fighting as 2 or more will ruin most of the fun, since together you'll become about 4 times as strong as if fighting alone (unless one of you is a jerk).

Maybe give weapons like the Hambat and Thulecite Club a x2 damage modifier, but reduce their swing speed to 0.5. You still have the same DPS, but there's slightly more commitment to each swing.

You could also 1-hit spiders, so I guess that's neat. Other than that, it could just be a nice visual thing where the character has to put effort into the swing.

The Thulecite Club's chance to spawn Shadow Tentacles would need to be multiplied by 2 so there's still the same chance to get the same amount of them.

Not a big fan of adding forge-like weapons to the game as those were temporary and powerful for a fighting server. I love the idea though about using tools to fight (like the poison birchnut tree). Maybe something like a giant moleworm boss that can only be hurt from the tail, but requires you to break it's rocky armor with a pickaxe first in order to do so.

1st.

Stratify melee and ranged weapons. This would serve as an additional metric to adjust parameters via buffs, character exclusive modifiers, for in game sense for balance. Would make it easier to fine tune certain characteristics without breaking others. (Wolfgang would be less broken if his damage modifier didn't apply to ranged things / it frustrates me to no end that Wendy cannot 1 shot anything with the boomerang)

2nd. Add in skills for the weapons. This is actually my biggest wish for this game since I've started playing, it only comes in second due to the preceding being much easier to implement. Image skills which consume durability to use. Would especially love it if Wigfrid's rework, whenever it comes, involves this mechanic more than anything (Maybe she's more efficient at using the skills).

3rd. Add in a proper dodging. If there were actual dodging in this game, monsters could also be much more ruthless in response, their patterns much more punishing and requiring precision to anticipate and evade. Right now everything is fought through the same kiting, only difference being how often you can hit before having to run back and forth. Actual dodging would make the game much more action oriented though, I view that as a good thing, but could see that some may not like that.

A boss that will target your base and smash stuff there isn't really a threat without your base involved.

Also gemed spiders like during seasons (yes even for the spitter spider) dont look at my name pls but I say spiders are one of the most common threats so why not make em more deadly

Maybe you see some spiders travelling in groups after destroying their den or like warrior spiders travelling around

if they add new weapons (they actually bring us a new cool helmet and an OP sword) the game will be so easy  with the actuall mobs and bosses, we need more hamlet like mobs

6 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Fix the dart hitting but no damage bug (if it's still there that is)

try to uneable lag prediction in the game settings and it will fix it (sorry, didnt read that you are talking about darts)

The fighting mechanics are very simple, and I have nothing against that. The only gripe that I have is that there's no visual indicator when landing a successful hit and damaging a monster (well, there is usually an animation for getting hit, but it only shows occasionally for most monsters).

EDIT:

Although I loved the combat from The Forge, but that was quite another type of game.

I was always thinking about a creature that can only be harmed with a specific material/type of material. For example, they could add a new type of lycantroph, or an enhanced type of werepig that can only be harmed by... Well, maybe they could bring silver into the game, but perhaps moon glass? There are many possibilities and I'd love to see some of them.

17 hours ago, LordLegato said:

3rd. Add in a proper dodging. If there were actual dodging in this game, monsters could also be much more ruthless in response, their patterns much more punishing and requiring precision to anticipate and evade. Right now everything is fought through the same kiting, only difference being how often you can hit before having to run back and forth. Actual dodging would make the game much more action oriented though, I view that as a good thing, but could see that some may not like that.

I agree with this. I think the key to making combat more engaging is to make it rely less on memory/kiting. Once you know the number of hits you can get in before an attack, the enemy you are fighting will never actually damage you again. There is no risk at that point. This is worsened by the fact that pretty much every single enemy in the game can be outran with ease. Armor is also extremely accessible and very effective. There is just no risk at all. Combat is an important aspect of the game, but its just boring because of this. Its a shame because really any enemy they add to the game will always fall victim to this unless the combat system is changed in someway. Like you said, your suggestion could be an intimidating change, but that could easily be solved by just making a combat system like this a "hardmode" of some sorts. Though I'd say don't knock it until you try it.

Enemies like the shattered spider and squid are steps in the right direction... They are different at the very least.. Unfortunately they still fall victim to this problem. They are still easily kiteable and their "special" attacks are underwhelming.. I don't think anyone is actually ever going to get inked by the squid!

3 hours ago, Crimson Chin said:

I don't think anyone is actually ever going to get inked by the squid!

I have multiple times before. Skittersquids feel like they're designed to make you panic, they appear in groups and start immediately eating up all of the nearby fish, which means you have to quickly fumble to get their aggro and then fight multiple of them at once on a very small boat. It's not hard to get inked during that.

I personally love the fuelweaver fight (assuming you fight him legit) for actually requiring more than just weapon+armor+healing food to kill. You need a nightmare amulet and lazy explorer to get around his gimmicks. 

I think Klei should expand on this by making bosses with more gimmicks that give more value to some niche equipment. For example, there could be a boss who summons a barrage of lightning and rain as a special attack, and you'd need to wear a raincoat (or be WX) to survive the onslaught. There could even be a boss arena where the temperature fluctuates, and you'd have to switch between a beefalo hat and ice cube to prevent damage. Hell, you could even make a boss that switches between phases of vulnerability (i.e. switches between vulnerability to melee attacks/ranged attacks/ice attacks/fire attacks/electric attacks/wind attacks). 

22 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

Isn't that just Deerclops??

I mean kinda but I was going for more a boss that doesnt agro easy instead he has a bearger sorta slam attack to destroy your stuff and he will leave really fast if you kite him poorly he is the same speed as you.

Deerclops isn't the base destroyer he is the easiest boss because you can make him spawn away from your base but the other boss will look for a area with the most structures not matter where he is on the map kinda thing

More attacks for enemies would be very cool and unique, the basic hit run pattern gets boring, one of the reasons Klaus is my favourite boss. Has nice alternate attacks with his spells, a double swipe when attacking and of course that wonderful mouth, His boss fight is just a lotta fun to me.

I'm against forge like weapons being added to the game for players, I like the basic, "primitive" weapons that we have now, if that makes any sense. Nothing too complicated.

Rework weapon attack animation and add more variaty to usage of weapons. It is frustrating that all melee weapon use the same anim and have same attack range/speed. 

All weapons get 2 different attack moves. Some weapons consume hunger to be used. 

Posible moves:

1. Jab/pierce - fast attack that gives additional range. 

2. Side chop - (uses axe chop animation) - replaces regular attack anim for weapons with sharp edges. 

3. Heavy jump - (uses hammer/mine animation) deals more damage (+30%), consumes hunger. 

4. Heavy swing - (regular attack but slower) deals more damage. 

5. Regular attack - used by non weaponry things. Cane, umbrella etc.

Examples.

Shadow sword would use pierce and chop attack, as it is s sword. Right mouse button changes mode. Left executes attack. 

Hambat/batbat/ruinsbat will use Heavy swing and jump attack. 

Axe and pickaxe will use jump and chop. 

Spear is left only with pierce because other attack moves don't make sense for it. 

More ranged monsters! Is it just Mactusk, bishops, gem deer, and splumonkeys? This will bring darts, boomerangs, and staves all into play, as well as additional tactics and uses for pig/bunny/lobster allies. 

Even though the Mactusk is trivial for me these days, that has to be my favorite set of monsters. Their behavior is awesome. Mactusk shouldn't run back home so quick, and should be a little quicker to turn and keep firing at his prey. But just... So cool how they behave on the hunt.

Imagine if other monsters used or recruited some ranged stuff. The world would become fun and dangerous all over again.

Archived