Home for My Art, Maybe?

I'm pretty new to digital drawing, I much rather prefer pen/pencil to paper, but I have an interest in game design so I've been giving it a go. I'll probably post DS/DST artwork here, as it's my favorite game and I draw lots of inspiration from Klei. I'll just start off w/ a Poison Birchnut Tree, one of my favorite monsters, just love the design and overall look of it.

poisonbirchnut.png

Edited by glommerhugger
adding new art
  • Like 8

Just now, minespatch said:

Excellent use of perspective! The vast and manic touch on brushstrokes in the background! Impressive. The birchnutter on the right's adorable. Looks like he's having a good time.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'll be practicing w/ digital a lot more, trying to get the feel of it down. Hopefully I'll find some time to make some better work.

• Thanks 1

Digital is really frickin' hard. You see this amazing art on the internet all the time and how hard can it be, right? I find that nothing I make lives up to my expectations.

From what I know, the vast majority of digital artists who work in the industry use Wacom Cintiqs. So they're still looking at what they draw as they draw it. Don't give up pen and paper entirely--it's still a good way to learn.

This is a good start. Happy practicing!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Digital is really frickin' hard. You see this amazing art on the internet all the time and how hard can it be, right? I find that nothing I make lives up to my expectations.

From what I know, the vast majority of digital artists who work in the industry use Wacom Cintiqs. So they're still looking at what they draw as they draw it. Don't give up pen and paper entirely--it's still a good way to learn.

This is a good start. Happy practicing!

I could never give up pen and paper, but once again thank you, yeah I guess it just takes a lot of time and practice. Don't know if I'll ever be 'as good', but one can dream.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

21 hours ago, glommerhugger said:

poisonbirchnut.png

I agree, keep practicing. This is pretty good, I personally find the shading to by my favorite, how you managed to express texture through it. 

For the longest time I did digital work, but with my mouse. I'm getting used to the tablet now. I have to wonder if it's less awkward with the mouse if you can get used to the mouse... I guess, perhaps not. 

I never thought about the Birchnut guardians though, this is awesome. They are some of the more intriguing denizens of the constant, for sure. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 6:39 PM, glommerhugger said:

I much rather prefer pen/pencil to paper

Same, only I stick with traditional and rarely do digital (and I usually trace a drawing digitally since I'm not confident with freehand) :p

You've gotten really good but we also like to see traditional stuff. Like what Rosette said, don't give up on pencil and paper entirely :)

• Like 1

I really don't think you have to update the first post with new art. It's just easier to post when you finish it, no offense.

On 6/4/2018 at 2:39 AM, glommerhugger said:

depthsworm.png

I like the whole perspective but if you were to add anything, if your program has a noise tool, make some noise on the ground to give texture for dirt. I love the light effect!

• Thanks 1

Just now, minespatch said:

I really don't think you have to update the first post with new art. It's just easier to post when you finish it, no offense.

I like the whole perspective but if you were to add anything, if your program has a noise tool, make some noise on the ground to give texture for dirt. I love the light effect!

Yeah, I don't like how the dirt is, either. I'm pretty sure I don't have a noise tool, but I could look. Is there another effect that could substitute.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, minespatch said:

What's your paint program again? There should be some tutorials online to get you the dirt texture just right.

I use FireAlpaca, since y'know it's free and I'm cheap. I'll look through tutorials to find it, thanks for the suggestion. BTW I've noticed you're incredibly helpful in the Don't Starve/Klei community. So props to you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, glommerhugger said:

I use FireAlpaca, since y'know it's free and I'm cheap. I'll look through tutorials to find it, thanks for the suggestion. BTW I've noticed you're incredibly helpful in the Don't Starve/Klei community. So props to you.

Are you a mac user? Had to use it for a long time before getting back into Windows with paintdotnet.

12 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Are you a mac user? Had to use it for a long time before getting back into Windows with paintdotnet.

Nah, I use Windows. I also have paint.net, but I liked FireAlpaca more, even with its drawbacks. However, I am new to the whole digital art business so I'm sure there are pros and cons that have slipped me by.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the main complaint here is with the dirt. It looks way too soft and overblended compared to the worm itself. Making the edges between the different shades of brown harder should help with that, especially in the foreground.

Also, if the lure is really glowing brightly, it should be casting a blue light on the areas of the worm and dirt closest to it. It doesn't have to be super blue, but a blue line here and there would add to the idea that the lure is a source of light.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, glommerhugger said:

Nah, I use Windows. I also have paint.net, but I liked FireAlpaca more, even with its drawbacks. However, I am new to the whole digital art business so I'm sure there are pros and cons that have slipped me by.

You can use both! No need to limit to your projects. Paintdotnet has a noise effect already installed. Fool around with the noise filter in the effects section with brown colors and then gaussian blur it to see if that can work as a ground texture.:wilson_smile:

4 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Yeah, the main complaint here is with the dirt. It looks way too soft and overblended compared to the worm itself. Making the edges between the different shades of brown harder should help with that, especially in the foreground.

Also, if the lure is really glowing brightly, it should be casting a blue light on the areas of the worm and dirt closest to it. It doesn't have to be super blue, but a blue line here and there would add to the idea that the lure is a source of light.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

You can use both! No need to limit to your projects. Paintdotnet has a noise effect already installed. Fool around with the noise filter in the effects section with brown colors and then gaussian blur it to see if that can work as a ground texture.:wilson_smile:

i kinda tried to apply what you guys suggested, don't think it's the best, but it's new. Hopefully you'll think it looks better. 

depthsworm.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, glommerhugger said:

Just finished w/ depthsworm  if anybody has any ideas for work, kinda unsure on what to do. I'd appreciate suggestions.

depthsworm.png

I really really like this one. Depths worms are one of my favorites!
Have you ever seen them eat glowberries left on the ground? I learned the hard way. Don't leave your moggle-fuel-supply on the ground. I dropped it to sort inventory while trying to carry loot back, wandered away just a bit to pick up something, and... I watched the worm come up and eat it... 
They also try to eat their friend's glows when they come in hoards, I always have to swipe up the berries in the middle of battle. 
It's interesting to know their diet though. I wonder if they're just territorial or something? Is that why they attack us?

I've always been interested in dangerous animals that aren't actually out to eat you, just kill. I guess because in my research on animals and wildlife (I work with animals and stuff, but have done prior research), the more dangerous animals are the ones that are afraid of us. A lion can eat and be full, and will not be a danger if he's already had his fill. But a hippo will kill you because you're there. Territorial + Hyper-aggressive towards anything predator... Lions kill less than 100 people yearly. Hippos kill an average of 3000 yearly. 

The most dangerous animals on out planet aren't out to eat us, but who knows for the constant, really. But Depths Worms might be a unique and interesting exception, considering I've seen them eat glowberries and lesser glowberries.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I really really like this one. Depths worms are one of my favorites!
Have you ever seen them eat glowberries left on the ground? I learned the hard way. Don't leave your moggle-fuel-supply on the ground. I dropped it to sort inventory while trying to carry loot back, wandered away just a bit to pick up something, and... I watched the worm come up and eat it... 
They also try to eat their friend's glows when they come in hoards, I always have to swipe up the berries in the middle of battle. 
It's interesting to know their diet though. I wonder if they're just territorial or something? Is that why they attack us?

I've always been interested in dangerous animals that aren't actually out to eat you, just kill. I guess because in my research on animals and wildlife (I work with animals and stuff, but have done prior research), the more dangerous animals are the ones that are afraid of us. A lion can eat and be full, and will not be a danger if he's already had his fill. But a hippo will kill you because you're there. Territorial + Hyper-aggressive towards anything predator... Lions kill less than 100 people yearly. Hippos kill an average of 3000 yearly. 

The most dangerous animals on out planet aren't out to eat us, but who knows for the constant, really. But Depths Worms might be a unique and interesting exception, considering I've seen them eat glowberries and lesser glowberries.

That's a really interesting perspective on Depth Worms, I've known about hippo's territorial aggression, but never though about applying it to the Constant. Yeah, I also think Depth Worms are really cool and well designed, which is why I decided to draw them. 

If there's any other things you'd like to see drawn, I'm open to option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, glommerhugger said:

If there's any other things you'd like to see drawn, I'm open to option.

Ever played Shipwrecked? I'd rather you have your own choices to draw from, there's more inspiration that way, but mentioning a category and then drawing your favorite from said category might work.

Forge too, plenty of interesting creatures there, if you want to try one of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2