Carpeted tile - too expensive and not good enough

So, Carpeted tiles are my favourite tile for building in the entire game. I always try to make the living chamber full out of it in long term colonies.

But it bothers me that Carpeted tiles are pretty weak compared to metal tiles which grant much superior bonus speed AND a great decor bonus.

It's much easier to produce metal tiles than accumulating enough reed fibers for carpeted tiles. The appearance result looks great but the bonuses are underwhelming.

Anyone make a decent use of carpeted tiles? What your thoughts about it?

The worst thing is they have the audacity to demand 2 Reed Fiber (320kg-640kg PWater) for a downgrade that offers at most +15 decor in comparison to normal tiles.

Not just something has to change... but a lot of it.

Well, a speed bonus between normal tiles and metal could possibly already make it viable. Though more range on the decor or magnitude should be added on top of that still.

Simply, metal tiles should be nerfed. They're already great because of their thermal properties & running speed bonus. Both which make perfect sense. That their decor is so high is, imho, just not justified. I've never looked on an industrial metal floor and thought "Man, that looks SO much better than carpet".

Ok, maybe I have, but I'm weird.

Carpets IRL doesn't actually exist to be pretty, and from my point of view they straight up are not.
Carpets look horrible. Always.
They are there because it's easier to change a carpet than the entire flooring.
Since stuff doesn't wear and tear as such in ONI, it's hard to justify making carpets especially since they are so expensive to produce especially compared to the metal tiles.

Carpets have no purpose unless we damage flooring by wear and tear and have to change them periodically.
In that vein, carpets should be WAY cheaper than metal tiles, offer worse movement speed and WAY less decor but be easy and cheap to replace.
It should also be an add-on to already existing tiles rather than a tileset of it's own, but that's another can of worms.

Ed: Also carpets should totally be destroyed by nasty liquid spills.

Well industrial floors usually aren't gold or copper... Maybe they should be split into "industrial tile" = thermal conductivity + speed boost, but ugly, and "metal panels" = looks great, maybe has to be worked on by an artist, but no speed boost and thermal properties similar to regular tile. To get decent speed and decor carpeted tiles could then be tweaked a bit.

EDIT: I like this idea too, carpets could maybe soak with liquid spills, removing them but getting damaged in the process.

2 minutes ago, FantasticMoose said:

Carpets have no purpose unless we damage flooring by wear and tear and have to change them periodically.
Ed: Also carpets should totally be destroyed by nasty liquid spills.

20 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

The worst thing is they have the audacity to demand 2 Reed Fiber (320kg-640kg PWater) for a downgrade that offers at most +15 decor in comparison to normal tiles.

Not just something has to change... but a lot of it.

Well, a speed bonus between normal tiles and metal could possibly already make it viable. Though more range on the decor or magnitude should be added on top of that still.

It's not even about the decor of the actual flooring honestly.  The issue is that you can use window tiles and get decor from items in different rooms and it would take a significant bump in the decor value of carpet to make it a comparible option.

14 minutes ago, Lancar said:

Simply, metal tiles should be nerfed. They're already great because of their thermal properties & running speed bonus. Both which make perfect sense. That their decor is so high is, imho, just not justified. I've never looked on an industrial metal floor and thought "Man, that looks SO much better than carpet".

Ok, maybe I have, but I'm weird.

If you think about how dupe work,they think copper is good looking but steel is not looking good then gold is god level decor both thing happen on diamond but 0 decor bonus on obsidian  ...their way of thinking is broken in that department lol.

I guess a long range decor bonus for carpet work best(like 5 range?),it make sense a single tile of carpet seem silly.a long continuous carpet should give better decor then metal tile(but metal tile win on small room)  

6 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

It's not even about the decor of the actual flooring honestly.  The issue is that you can use window tiles and get decor from items in different rooms and it would take a significant bump in the decor value of carpet to make it a comparible option.

i only choose my floor with metal for speed tho,but most wall in living area is glass.

Carpet is a nice thing to stand on. It`s soft and usually warm. Why not give dupes a stress reduction when standing on it. This way it doesn`t have th have insane decor numbers. Just let it reduce stress by 10% per cycle when standing on it. This way you get some benefits from putting it in recreation rooms or great halls (where they should be).

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Carpet is a nice thing to stand on. It`s soft and usually warm. Why not give dupes a stress reduction when standing on it. This way it doesn`t have th have insane decor numbers. Just let it reduce stress by 10% per cycle when standing on it. This way you get some benefits from putting it in recreation rooms or great halls (where they should be).

and reduce 10% speed because they love it

2 hours ago, Junksteel said:

It's much easier to produce metal tiles than accumulating enough reed fibers for carpeted tiles.

As someone who flushes my toilet water into reed fibers, I find myself with more of the things than I'll ever need.

5 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Carpeted bedrooms so you don't have to get cold feet when getting out in the morning.
I'd even slap +1 morale on that and feel good.

34 minutes ago, badgamer123 said:

If you think about how dupe work,they think copper is good looking but steel is not looking good then gold is god level decor both thing happen on diamond but 0 decor bonus on obsidian  ...their way of thinking is broken in that department lol.

Their way of thinking is sourced from our society's way of thinking. "GOLD, DIAMONDS! GLITTER!! BLIIIING!!!!" etc etc.

All things considered desirable by the general population take root in somebody's ancient idea to make/sell ornaments that are considered better than less expensive ones and then carefully and patiently working to introduce such behaviors into society. Duplicants are printed and programmed from human templates, both physically and mentally. Blame us, not them.

Just saying.

50 minutes ago, goboking said:

As someone who flushes my toilet water into reed fibers, I find myself with more of the things than I'll ever need.

There is no reed fiber at Arboria for example. I used to do that before the preview too. Now it's just too expensive for some maps and in an awkward position.

1 hour ago, Darkin Coaled said:

Their way of thinking is sourced from our society's way of thinking. "GOLD, DIAMONDS! GLITTER!! BLIIIING!!!!" etc etc.

All things considered desirable by the general population take root in somebody's ancient idea to make/sell ornaments that are considered better than less expensive ones and then carefully and patiently working to introduce such behaviors into society. Duplicants are printed and programmed from human templates, both physically and mentally. Blame us, not them.

Just saying.

Lol I've thought this way too. "Why are diamonds better than cubic zirconia?" Diamond salesman: "because reasons!" 

I agree though carpets and room decor need some work, but that's prolly best left for after release maybe.

Form versus function. I like the notion of having high cost tiles which aren't the most optimal. You should use perfectly optimal play when trying to build towards sustainability and maxing out the base's capacity. Carpets are for showing off. I would even be fine with them getting a dupe labor nerf - require vacuuming every few cycles or they decrease decor. Late game one should idle dupes anyways. 

1 minute ago, bmilohill said:

Form versus function. I like the notion of having high cost tiles which aren't the most optimal. You should use perfectly optimal play when trying to build towards sustainability and maxing out the base's capacity. Carpets are for showing off. I would even be fine with them getting a dupe labor nerf - require vacuuming every few cycles or they decrease decor. Late game one should idle dupes anyways. 

Showing off in a single player game is something that doesn't make any sense to me. But hey, if your boat floats that way I'm fine with it! :D

A good option for the tiles and canvas, would be to process the reed fiber to fabric first at the textile loom, like 1 reed fiber to 6 textiles pieces, then 1 textile per tile or 4 for a small canvas and 6 for the larger.

aslo as some pointed out, adding different morale or stress modifiers to rooms depending on the tiles in the room would be a good idea too i think. 

Archived