Carpeted tile - too expensive and not good enough

Honestly carpeting isn't even a good floor material in the first place.  It's flammable, difficult to clean, becomes hideous when unkempt, a cesspool for microorganisms, and your enjoyment of the carpeting decreases with its age.  I know none of this matters in the scale of ONI, but honestly I think it would be a much better solution if it was just replaced with "Fancy Tile" which could only be made out of abyssalite (a use for abyssalite!) or some rarer material like that.

Two versions of fancy tile, depending on how cpu intensive it would be:

1.  If the game can handle each being tile being its own art piece, make Fancy Tiles workable by artists.  Of course the decor the tiles offer scales with the artist's talent, as well as a visual change to the tile.  Crude Fancy Tiles look scuffed, Masterful Fancy Tiles are unusually flat and have a shine on their exposed surfaces.

2.  If the game can't handle each tile being its own art piece, make Fancy Tiles only constructable by artists.  Just give the tiles a flat +10 in a radius or something like that.  Only a suitable trained artist can build the Fancy Tiles.

Well it could be a system like dwarf fortress, where you have rough unhewn wall (the unworked natural tiles), then smooth tiles (the normal tiles we are used too) and above that engraved tiles. for balance considerations the idea with the artist constructing them seems fair^^

EDIT: I need some nice "mushbar with dreckos surrounding it" engravings in my life.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, Lancar said:

Simply, metal tiles should be nerfed. They're already great because of their thermal properties & running speed bonus. Both which make perfect sense. That their decor is so high is, imho, just not justified. I've never looked on an industrial metal floor and thought "Man, that looks SO much better than carpet".

Ok, maybe I have, but I'm weird.

Then you should probably get out more.

https://www.architonic.com/en/products/mosaic-floors/0/3248751/1

https://www.architonic.com/en/products/floor-tiles/0/3248730/1

My personal problem with carpet tiles is the need of reed fibers. I need all the fibers for the exo-suits/normal suits AND the insulation. U need 5 per 100 KG... The paintings needs also fibers. So, for me is the only way to don't build or use buildings, that need fibers too. Another problem is the lack of water in the map. Sometimes you have misfortune and too few sources to feed a thimble reed farm. They need 35KG/Cycles. U need many of them to build insulation pipes later. Normally the polluted water is depleted and you have still too few fibers to make your insulation for Liquid H2 or Liquid O2. Yeah, it is possible to make it with other materials like ceramic, but then, you must trick a bit because the liquid is heating up over time and break the pipe. The only one solution without any problems is the insulation pipe. Fire and forget.

That is the reason why i spam metal tiles normally. The decor value is also much better.

The real-world advantages of carpet are:

1. Cheap
  2. Less likely to hurt yourself falling
  3. Thermal insulation between floors
  4. Sound dampening

1 is completely out the window with needing one of the more expensive resources in the game, 2 is a complete nonissue, 3 is often undesirable. For carpet to be useful in a realistic way, we'd need more sources of sound to wake our dupes up, and they'd need to cost a lot less as something that just covers the top of a tile rather than being a whole tile.

2 hours ago, Nebbie said:

The real-world advantages of carpet are:

1. Cheap
  2. Less likely to hurt yourself falling
  3. Thermal insulation between floors
  4. Sound dampening

1 is completely out the window with needing one of the more expensive resources in the game, 2 is a complete nonissue, 3 is often undesirable. For carpet to be useful in a realistic way, we'd need more sources of sound to wake our dupes up, and they'd need to cost a lot less as something that just covers the top of a tile rather than being a whole tile.

That might be an idea with sound dampening. Reduces a loud sleeper "noise zone" per carpet tile used. Maybe some sound-deadening background tiles would be possible. Hell, heavy machinery should transmit noise through floors/walls. Surely dupes don't mind sleeping to the sounds of an oil refinery, 2 tiles away, but snoring is too much to handle.

Noise pollution should be a thing if dupes get annoyed by light while trying to sleep.*

Edit: New trait: heavy sleeper -- can sleep through noise/light without penalty?

Reed fibers are pretty easy to amass now that we have been allowed from high above to wild farm. Just plant an unused area and come back in a hundred cycles.

Loud sleeper (is that the name?) already sleeps though light, not sure about noise.

10 hours ago, Blazing Falken said:

New trait: heavy sleeper -- can sleep through noise/light without penalty?

+1

But if we ever get any kind of life threatening mini-disasters (fire?) they get to sleep through it too. Additionally, Red Alert conditions do not wake them up.

Speaking from experience.:)

Archived