Any unknown mechanic to share?

birds have a 0% chance of leaving behind seeds when you spook them while you have seeds in your inventory

drop your seeds at least two tiles away from a bird before spooking it if you want a lot of seeds for whatever reason

a use for this would be for crafting a good bunch of woodie's goose idol very early

(this applies for flint, twigs, and grass too when birds are able to drop those for you)

• Like 20

3 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

birds have a 0% chance of leaving behind seeds when you spook them while you have seeds in your inventory

drop your seeds at least two tiles away from a bird before spooking it if you want a lot of seeds for whatever reason

a use for this would be for crafting a good bunch of woodie's goose idol very early

(this applies for flint, twigs, and grass too when birds are able to drop those for you)

Does this work if you keep those resources in a backpack?

59 minutes ago, Well-met said:

kelps can be dried on racks and I think they're better small jerky in every way.

I trust many know this, this is just a safe reminder

Actualy, the hunger value stays the same for all versions of kelp, the only change is health and sanity loss. Wurt can just eat them all raw for the same stats as dry. Wormwood can also eat them raw if you don't want to be sane.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

I did some testing, and found the bird drops can be generalized in this way:

If the entity of the bird drop (seeds, twigs, grass, flint) is on the ground or in a player's inventory within two tiles, the bird will not drop the item when it flies away.

Edited by mistrbushido
entity, not prefab
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mistrbushido said:

the prefab of the bird drop (seeds, twigs, grass, flint) is on the ground

super nitpick: the stuff you see in-game like items, structures, mobs, etc are called "entities", not "prefabs"

a prefab is like a blueprint to a house, while an entity is a finished house

for example, an Egg's prefab name is "bird_egg": the Egg itself is not a bird_egg prefab, merely it's an entity built from the bird_egg prefab

anyway, i just wanted to dispel this common misconception since it peeves me

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:33 AM, Jessie223 said:

super nitpick: the stuff you see in-game like items, structures, mobs, etc are called "entities", not "prefabs"

a prefab is like a blueprint to a house, while an entity is a finished house

for example, an Egg's prefab name is "bird_egg": the Egg itself is not a bird_egg prefab, merely it's an entity built from the bird_egg prefab

anyway, i just wanted to dispel this common misconception since it peeves me

I have spotted an object of the class Programmer

• Haha 7

If rain starts right after the previous rain in spring (the precipitation doesn't stop between two rains), the next one must be frog rain.

Some mechanisms I thought they are bugs, but maybe not.

1. Keep giving offerings to Pig King before the night comes, then he can trade with you during the night, unlike birds. You have to keep clicking on him or use the action queue mod.

2. Burn a crockpot/portable crockpot/meat rack with stale prepared food inside: You harvest food with full freshness. (Not quite useful)

3. Werepig's aggro loses very quick when were-woodie attacks one of them.

4. When spring ends, the Mosslings will fly away. But if you freeze one of them at the end of spring and attack it when summer comes, the Moose will spawn and stay there for the whole year.

5. If you are attacked by an Ewecus and a Houndious Shootius protects you, the Ewecus won't attack the shootius.

6. Kill the Mosslings hatching from the Goose egg immediately (with gunpowder or snurtle slime), a new Goose Nest will spawn at the place they died. Disconnect and resume the world, a new egg will spawn on the nest. Repeat the steps you can get a lot of nests.

7. A backpack with perishable items inside work as an ultimate icebox against spore cloud if it is put on the ground and is picked up after a spore cloud's spawning. Once these items are moved to inventory or cursor slot, they lost their imperishability and spoil fast.

• Like 2

Due to their buggy AI, homeless Mosquitos always fly towards 0,0 and settle there. So catching 2 Mosquitos on the surface and releasing both of them will make one homeless which will lead you to the center of the map. That can make finding the moon easier since in most cases it spawns on the area where you explored the least.

Or you can catch just 1 Mosquito on the surface, move it to the caves and release it there to find the mud biome & the ruins as fast as possible.

• Like 13

(Sorry for my English)

@Electroely

On 2019/9/7 at 12:37 AM, Electroely said:

I am not sure if it is outdated information or just flat out wrong, but the wiki says that these foods "increase the perceived temperature" and that is incorrect. They increase your temperature for the duration stated above. It's kind of like over-time temperature regeneration. They all give temperature at the same rate (a rate which I haven't found out yet), so how much temperature you get from each of them depends entirely on their duration.

The effect of hot or cold food is equivalent to raising or lowering the ambient temperature. The maximum amount of change is 40. For example, if the ambient temperature is -15 and you carry a red thermal stone, your body temperature will be stable at (-15 + 60 * 2.1)/(1 + 2.1) = 36; in this case, if you eat spicy food, your body temperature will be stable at ((-15 + 40) + 60 * 2.1)/(1 + 2.1) = 49.

On 2019/9/7 at 12:37 AM, Electroely said:

When winter comes, I wear a Beefalo Hat and I don't use a thermal stone. Whenever the freezing warning appears around my screen, I eat a stuffed pepper popper and that gives me heat for quite a while (not sure how long, exactly, but it's definitely more than 60 seconds).

The most effective strategy. If the ambient temperature is -20, this will extend your warming time by 15 + 15 * (1 + 240/30) = 150 seconds.

By the way, there is a serious bug about the chilling mechanism: If you split a bunch of hot food into two, the "heat" of the new bunch of food will be reset.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In winter, the wetness of the cave will drop very slowly. We assume that the ambient temperature is constant. We can calculate the time it takes for the cave to change from wet to dry:

wetness.png.b5780b81107211979bd2e1fca14fb597.png

(The cave becomes wet when the wetness rises to 35 and becomes dry when the wetness reduces to 15.)

This means: in the winter, if it has rained, the cave will remain wet for at least 4 days. In my experience, the cave will generally keep wet before spring. In this case, we can fight the Toadstool with the morning star.

Edited by SilentBalloon
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, SilentBalloon said:

The effect of hot or cold food is equivalent to raising or lowering the ambient temperature. The maximum amount of change is 40. For example, if the ambient temperature is -15 and you carry a red thermal stone, your body temperature will be stable at (-15 + 60 * 2.1)/(1 + 2.1) = 36; in this case, if you eat spicy food, your body temperature will be stable at ((-15 + 40) + 60 * 2.1)/(1 + 2.1) = 49.

Oh, I see. I thought the wiki meant that the temperature of the player will immediately increase by 40 for the duration of the effect. I did look at the code to learn about the chill mechanic, but everything else at the time of writing was info obtained solely from experience, so I didn't have enough knowledge on the matter to make that interpretation. Thank you for the correction.

@SilentBalloon and about the insulated pack thing, how come it doesn't stop chilling? My experience and tests and the parts of the code I've looked at show that it does prevent chilling.

Edited by Electroely

11 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Due to their buggy AI, homeless Mosquitos always fly towards 0,0 and settle there. So catching 2 Mosquitos on the surface and releasing both of them will make one homeless which will lead you to the center of the map.

Heh, was wondering recently if others had noticed the center shenanigans.
It can also be located by map icons (or visible structures if you're playing with slightly more intensive settings or mods) briefly flickering in and out of existence in one spot. Basically, whenever these objects come into existence, they're initially spawned at the center of the world, before making their way to their proper location.
Walls/chests are common, but the visible structure part can also occur with building placement silhouettes; they even show without the highlighting in the moment that they first appear.

...the few times I remember locating the center point of the Overworld on accident that way, it was in a grassland with bunnies nearby. Huh. Food for thought.

In any case, I usually make a sign there for tourists.
Or pointing at it, in cases like the last game where the Cave center was out in the void at the Ruins entrance.

3 hours ago, Electroely said:

@SilentBalloon and about the insulated pack thing, how come it doesn't stop chilling? My experience and tests and the parts of the code I've looked at show that it does prevent chilling.

I checked the code and found that you are right.
I studied this mechanism at the end of July and noticed the Chef Pouch and the Insulated Pack won't prevent chilling. Maybe this mechanism changed later because I found the code modified on August 22. It may also be that I made a mistake at the time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SilentBalloon said:

In winter, the wetness of the cave will drop very slowly. We assume that the ambient temperature is constant. We can calculate the time it takes for the cave to change from wet to dry:

wetness.png.b5780b81107211979bd2e1fca14fb597.png

(The cave becomes wet when the wetness rises to 35 and becomes dry when the wetness reduces to 15.)

This means: in the winter, if it has rained, the cave will remain wet for at least 4 days. In my experience, the cave will generally keep wet before spring. In this case, we can fight the Toadstool with the morning star.

My understanding is that the wetness doesn’t decrease at all when the ambient temperature is below 0, though this is true for characters away from fires. I assumed the world wetness behaved similarly. So there is a fixed time to drying below 0 degrees?

1 hour ago, mistrbushido said:

My understanding is that the wetness doesn’t decrease at all when the ambient temperature is below 0, though this is true for characters away from fires. I assumed the world wetness behaved similarly. So there is a fixed time to drying below 0 degrees?

The world wetness behaves differently than the character moisture. If it doesn't rain, the world wetness will drop at least 0.01/sec.  You can enter the following command to check the world wetness: 

print('Wetness: \t', TheWorld.state.wetness)

The character moisture won't decrease when the ambient temperature and the moisture are low enough:

moisture.thumb.PNG.172ead4260b4b9d9b8e2bdd57d922bd2.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can totally use hambat to fight Toadstool if you store it in your backpack and drop it away from spore clouds (like, right next to toadstool the moment it cast spore on you). It's a bit annoying to switch to hambat by clicking on it in backpack but it's totally worth it considering amount of durability-based weapons saved.

Edited by shadowDigga
  • Like 2