Any unknown mechanic to share?

6 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

You can totally use hambat to fight Toadstool if you store it in your backpack and drop it away from spore clouds (like, right next to toadstool the moment it casted spore on you). It's a bit annoying to switch to hambat by clicking on it in backpack but it's totally worth it considering amount of durability-based weapons saved.

That sounds rather like a "do this if you're insanely good" rather than a "unknown mechanic"

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Well-met said:

That sounds rather like a "do this if you're insanely good" rather than a "unknown mechanic"

It's like, not hard at all. Equippable inventory items remember their last position before being equipped even if last position was in chest or dropped then repicked backpack as long as the slot is not occupied.

Edited by shadowDigga
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

It's like, not hard at all. Equippable inventory items remember their last position before being equipped even if last position was in chest or dropped then repicked backpack as long as the slot is not occupied.

How often have people beaten toad with a single hambat? I'm very curious.

Lureplants are the best source of food for boat trips. Each cooked leafy meat provides 18,75 hunger points, 4 of those provide 75 hunger points (daily hunger). Lureplant itself regrows leafy meat in 2 game days unless it's winter. That means 8 lureplants are capable of keeping one player with default hunger drain fed if he manages to collect leafy meat exactly every 2 days (I'd plant few extra lureplants for more loose timing). What makes lureplants stand out of the crowd is their ability to be planted on the boat and their 0 deployment restriction - that means you can plant them as close to each other as your mouse allows you and with this mod you can plant lureplants at exactly the same position, allowing you to have as many lureplants on the same boat as you want and not run out of space.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

You can totally use hambat to fight Toadstool if you store it in your backpack and drop it away from spore clouds (like, right next to toadstool the moment it cast spore on you). It's a bit annoying to switch to hambat by clicking on it in backpack but it's totally worth it considering amount of durability-based weapons saved.

As long as you run fast enough, the spore cloud can't catch up with you.

2019-11-16_16-24-17_1_Moment.thumb.jpg.8c67f40fa4646dedf271a324db322067.jpg

2019-11-16_16-24-17_1_Moment_1.thumb.jpg.581d7c13bf19a1266350b74510bac5b2.jpg

• Like 3

Abigail is faster than rabbits. You can attempt to attack the rabbit and let Abigail do the job. She only attacks once though so you should combine this tactic with the smacking rabbits with an axe tactic.

Stand between the rabbit and its hole and then force attack it. If you do it correctly you can kill the rabbit before it runs from you. This is because the rabbit's instinct to run home is stronger than their instinct to run away from you. This is a tutorial from a youtuber I found. You should experiment with different camera angles. Some angles are easier ehile others are harder.

https://youtu.be/aAdK9k_lbpM

The Deciduous biome has the most amount of food for vegans. Mushrooms, Birchnuts and the occasional event food (I only know about pumpkins during Halloween). The Swamp biome has the most meats. This is free meat. Not "I have to kill a mob" meat.

Pig King Village sometimes have pumpkins if it's Halloween.

It's smarter to pick a mandrake during dusk or night rather than morning if you have no inventory space. Leave rare items for others if you have no need for it i.e pan flute for Dragonfly.

Abigail dislikes neutral treeguards (pacified treeguards). She will aggro onto them instantly.

If you have two Abigail's Flowers and more than 4-5 days have passed since you made the extra flower, it's ok to let Abigail suicide in the frog pond biome near the road if you have enough sanity or want to be insane. The result? Alot of food in exchange for 50 sanity if you revive Abigail.

Kill butterflies. Many people underestimate the power of butterflies. I guess that's why Klei made butterfly wings so powerful.

Your first pickaxe will always be at 9% after mining the maximum rocks and your second will always be fully destroyed after mining the maximum rocks if you use the first pickaxe too. You can mine 5 rocks with the first pickaxe and 6 if you use the first pickaxe with the second. Useless info but I always count my pickaxes incase I need the 9% pickaxe for thermal stone.

Axes do not deal extra damage to trees although I wished they would like Werebeaver form.

A burnt pig on a head will still drop 1 pigskin and some twigs upon being hammered alongside charcoal. A normal one will drop 2 pigskins and 2 twigs. A case of "Don't judge a book by its cover".

Wormwood's sanity depletion upon seeing a tree being chopped by others perk is based on location, not if you seen it or not. The range is about 2-3 pitchfork tiles. This is also the case when you burn a tree. You don't need to run far from the tree. Just far enough that it won't deplete your sanity after it burns finish. Therefore, burning a tree and running around it during Winter won't reduce your sanity but running around it until it's done burning will deplete your sanity.

The sanity loss per rate for Wormwood's sanity depletion upon seeing a tree chopped by others perk is maintained. This means that if you run straight into the stump of the tree chopped and run out again you will still lose sanity at a high rate. This is the same for being near and moving away.

Willow can overheat in Winter due to Magma in Dragonfly Desert and rapidly extinguishing smouldering objects. This is great for joining in during Winter. It used to be not really great since Willow has 3 seconds immunity only but after her buff it's much stronger. Light a tree on fire, stand next to it and start extinguishing smouldering objects nearby. No objects? Drop a grass or twig. You can drop 2 or more if you're confident in your reaction time. Due to her increased overheat limit and Bernie, Willow can almost overheat and then equip Bernie for 60 insulation points. Rinse and repeat.

Despite her perks, Willow is actually great for surviving Winter if it's Day 1 and everyone just joined. Although she has less tolerance for cold, her ability to increase her temperature to extreme numbers and then maintain it with Bernie makes her the best Winter character on Day 1 with Woodie following behind with his 45 insulation points, Lucy for wood and 240 insulation points if he gets his hands on monster meat. 

!!MY OPINION!!

Earlygame characters: Characters that are designed for joining a random server but not really designed for surviving until Day 18750. S-Tier: Wendy, Willow. A-Tier: Wigfrid, Maxwell. B-Tier: Woodie, Wicker. C-Tier: Wilson, Wolfgang, Wortox. D-Tier: Webber, WX78, Wormwood, Wurt. E-Tier: Winona, Warly.

This is based on starting items, perks and excludes all setpieces. We place the character in a normal biome and they can only use their starting items and perks. Some characters's Tiers, like Wolfgang or Wurt, will change depending on situations. Wolfgang being having infinite food and Wurt in the Swamp. Ask me about those situations if you wanna see their Tier. This is just an opinion from me after I analyse the characters. Keep in mind that S-Tier also means Low Tier in lategame. So Willow and Wendy tends to be weaker in lategame since most of their perks are irrelevant by then.

Only C-Tier character all game: Wilson. He is C-Tier earlygame, midgame and lategame.

Midgame characters: Characters that are in the middle. Viable for joining servers although they need some set up time and also viable for hosting servers where you, the host has to play in the server until Day 10000+. Usually are characters that have items they need to make or require items that are abundant in midgame to function well. S-Tier: Wicker, Wolfgang. A-Tier: Wortox, Wormwood, WX78. B-Tier: Warly, Maxwell, Woodie. C-Tier: Wilson, Winona, Wurt, Webber. D-Tier: Wigfrid, Wendy. E-Tier: Willow.

This is when Spring flowers start wilting (Wendy and Willow) and Summer flowers start blooming. Logs, Grass and Twigs shouldn't be a problem anymore so resource gatherers start falling behind although they are still needed for base building materials. Food and resources are high in quantity so Wicker and Wolfgang should be happy at this time of the game. Base builders or I like to call them Autumn Flowers (Webber, Winona and Wurt) start to slowly bud and their Tiers gently float up.

Lategame characters: Day 10000+ base builders, here are your beautiful characters! They are weak in earlygame and viable for midgame but lategame is where they truly shine, or in this case, bloom! S-Tier: Webber, Winona, Wurt. A-Tier: Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, WX78. B-Tier: Wortox, Wormwood. C-Tier: Everyone else except Wigfrid, Wendy and Willow. D-Tier: Wigfrid. E-Tier: Wendy and Willow.

So... this is where we separate "meta" characters from "ok" characters. Did you take a look at Wicker and Wolfgang's Tiers? What did you notice? They are always high Tiers. While Wolfgang does struggle in earlygame, that's because I limited his hunts and food. If the Wolfgang kept hunting and killing (like all wolfgangs) he would certainly be in B or A Tier. Take a look at Willow, Wendy, Webber, Winona and Wurt. They have a huge change in Tiers. That's what makes them "ok". They aren't viable all the time but have powerspikes and drops. It's what stops them from being overpowered but also makes them not as favored. Take Winona for example, you almost never see her in a hosted or dedicated server. Her cost for crafting isn't just materials, it's also hunger. This makes her a pseudo Wolfgang: Always hungry but doesn't have good perks. She's reliant on hunger and all you get is faster crafting speed. And if you're hungry... expect to rage at how slow she works. Her strength is in catapults and unfortunately that is a mid-lategame thing. Why play a lategame character when you have to quit the server and have it get reset anyways?

Edited by Booklover
Because I can
  • Like 4

You can farm flints for tools and nitre for bath bombs without having to leave the moon island(s) if you have forest petrification on the server. Just plant huge evergreen forest and eventually it all will turn petrified. (Petrification seems to spread like disease once triggered on random trees.)

• Like 4

Build small bases all over the map with only the absolute bear essentials included in them (Cookpot, Science Machine, Campfire/Endo Fire, Tent) 

Remember once you have built an Alchemy Engine or Prestihatinator and learned all their available crafting recipes from them you no longer Actually NEED those items.

(you still need the Science Machine to open earned curio packages though)

Deerclops becomes a Non-Issue when there isn’t a base for it to spawn into and wreck..

Additionally- Deerclops, Bearger, And Tree Guardians Do not cross over water, so Technically you could just hop on a boat and repeatedly hit them all from a distance without ever being in any danger ever again.

And if I worked at Klei (I do not but IF I did..) - I would redesign them so that they CAN cross over the water, Similar to those old Godzilla movies where it looked like Godzilla was playing in waist deep water and Not the Ocean. But hey that’s just me.. I think it would be quite hilarious actually.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

1 gunpwder explosion can break open 20 Stone Fruit, the rest will merely get booped a small distance away.

Meanwhile, Snurtle Slime explosions can only break open 1 fruit per slime.

1x Slurtle Slime can break open 2 Stone Fruits.
1x Gunpowder or 1x Snurtle can break open 10 Stone Fruits (More than 1x Gunpowder will burn your Stone Fruits!).
Any of Bearger attacks can break open 10 Stone Fruits.
1x Antlion Sinkhole can break open 3x4 = 12 Stone Fruits.
Maxwell's Shadows (automatically) or Wurt's Merms (if commanded) can break open Stone Fruits, but the Merm will start eating all the Stone Fruits if you're too far away.

1 use of a Weather Pain has a chance to break open 40 Stone Fruits, if you're lucky enough.

Edited by Viktor234
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

1x Slurtle Slime can break open 2 Stone Fruits.
1x Gunpowder or 1x Snurtle can break open 10 Stone Fruits (More than 1x Gunpowder will burn your Stone Fruits!).
Any of Bearger attacks can break open 10 Stone Fruits.
1x Antlion Sinkhole can break open 3x4 = 12 Stone Fruits.
Maxwell's Shadows (automatically) or Wurt's Merms (if commanded) can break open Stone Fruits, but the Merm will start eating all the Stone Fruits if you're too far away.

1 use of a Weather Pain has a chance to break open 40 Stone Fruits, if you're lucky enough.

I see, thanks for clarifying and correcting :) However, i shall have to test this again, because i've seen what ive posted and i may have miscounted stuff or something.

• Like 1

This thread got upgraded to graphs level.

For 2020, I project we will have at least 10 scientific papers on Arxiv, with at least 100 citations in the field.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, Viktor234 said:

1x Gunpowder can break open 10 Stone Fruits (More than 1x Gunpowder will burn your Stone Fruits!).

Now that makes sense, why my 20 stacks of 10 stones were opened all at once.

I initially set it up to open one at a time, but gunpowder too stronk.

Any way to have the stone fruits not move too much after blowup? I wish to only blow up fruits when I need them, to prevent spoilage.

Some general tips for Winter Feast items:

Gift Wraps can be used to compactify storage containers like chests. For example, you can make single chest hold 36 slots of items instead of usual 9 if you wrap intended contents first. Pretty useful for stuff that is farmed in huge amount and then slowly spent like minerals or silk. (Too bad gift wrap can't be crafted outside of the event unless Klei changes it, blueprint for it would've been very valuable boss drop)

All winter foods aka "junk that is lying across the world" have certain foodtype for which many mobs have specific behavior. All of them can be used as everlasting bait for mobs that eat food of that foodtype and are excellent for fire farms because they can't burn.

Heavenly eggnog ("winter_food9") has a meat foodtype and can be:

1) Converted to eggs by feeding to bird in the cage. Pretty useful considering that these don't spoil and stack to 40 unlike tallbird eggs.

2) Bait for buzzards, hounds, spiders, pigs, buzzards, squids.

3) Death ticket if carried around bunnymen.

Eternal Fruitcakes ("winter_food4"), Plum Puddings ("winter_food6") and Apple Ciders ("winter_food7") have Veggie foodtype and can be:

1) Given to pigs or monkeys (indirectly) for manure.

2) Bait for rabbits, bunnymen, pigs, gobblers. (Beefalo, koalephants and ewecuses should also be attracted to Veggie foodtype but I never seen them doing that.)

3) Non-spoiling food to keep rabbits, moon moths and butterflies in the inventory alive. IMPORTANT NOTE: Eternal Fruitcakes reduce health by 2 points so they will instantly kill butterflies and moths & will eventually kill rabbits because they don't regenerate health. Don't use Eternal Fruitcakes here.

The rest have goodies foodtype and don't really have much use. You can still use those to feed starving butterflies because these can eat everything - luckily, none of them reduce health and can be used safely. Goodies are also valid bait for pigs.

Winter's Feast trees stay at their maximum growth stage once grown and can't turn into treeguards. This can be used to safely harvest birchnuts in Autumn at the cost of 1 manure per tree.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

Heavenly eggnog ("winter_food9") has a meat foodtype and can be:

1) Converted to eggs by feeding to bird in the cage. Pretty useful considering that these don't spoil and stack to 40 unlike tallbird eggs.

Oh wow, I had no idea about this! I've never seen it brought up even once in the years that Winter's Feast has been going on. I've always thought Eggnog was the worst of the Winter treats, because meat = long eating animation (and still only 3 hunger), but I never thought that usually meat = eggable too. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 6

On 16.11.2019 at 5:24 AM, shadowDigga said:

Lureplants are the best source of food for boat trips. Each cooked leafy meat provides 18,75 hunger points, 4 of those provide 75 hunger points (daily hunger). Lureplant itself regrows leafy meat in 2 game days unless it's winter. That means 8 lureplants are capable of keeping one player with default hunger drain fed if he manages to collect leafy meat exactly every 2 days (I'd plant few extra lureplants for more loose timing). What makes lureplants stand out of the crowd is their ability to be planted on the boat and their 0 deployment restriction - that means you can plant them as close to each other as your mouse allows you and with this mod you can plant lureplants at exactly the same position, allowing you to have as many lureplants on the same boat as you want and not run out of space.

So basically if you make a sea base instead of berry bushes you have lureplants. That’s actually very useful.

• Like 2

I know I might be late, since I haven't played lately, but:

Since the fishing update, with live unstackable fishing these things are now possible:

- Grabbing fishes as worthox for souls (like merms that die in swamps for instance)

- Selling live fishes to PK for 5 gold, making it a great method for gold (previously, only eels gave 5 gold)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

I know I might be late, since I haven't played lately, but:
[...]
- Selling live fishes to PK for 5 gold, making it a great method for gold (previously, only eels gave 5 gold)

[Game Update] - 388647:

On 9.1.2020 at 1:09 AM, ScottHansen said:

Fixed the amount of gold the Pig King gives for Freshwater Fish

=> You're at least 17 days, 12 hours and 5 minutes too late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

This is a known mechanic but I've seen some other common things here and this I didn't know after playing a while 

Make bunny men anti boss machines. 

Tl;Dr plant 20-30 bunny hutches near/ on bee queen. Use helmets( bee hats ) for them to take less damage. 

Make a fence with powder cake(eternal fruitcake) to make them outside all day/night

Optional (make road for faster movement and a fridge for meat / food) 

Hammer the hive and watch the bunnies kill the queen. 

U can use this for other bosses but make sure they don't destroy their houses. 

As the bunnies die, you get more bunny tails to make more hutches for other shenanigans. 

So today, I saw two buzzards fighting each other over rot. One ended killing the other. I've never seen this mechanic before. It got me thinking about how these might be the only animal species in DST that fight and kill each other over food. 

20200405031113_1.thumb.jpg.d3b5f19eb7539fd752873ea0dcd80153.jpg

20200405031118_1.thumb.jpg.09f26dbda1448c1a557a4e8610a152f2.jpg

20200405031119_1.thumb.jpg.0ec764138c300e6a97e555a4a92f9b91.jpg20200405031120_1.thumb.jpg.aca2ec0fee5ecc42ae27cedcca5932cb.jpg

Edited by Squirrel12
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1