Winona's Character Update is Coming Next Week!

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

With the update we will also have a new animated short

Gotta say, despite me really wanting this I thought it was a bit of a long shot! I would have settled for a cyclum-like comic but here we are! From the looks of things we are in for some great stuff out of these character updates. You rock, Klei!:D

heres some more speculation: Both generators will have different radiuses. If you connect multiple machines to a single generator it will reduce how long it runs. So say it's connected to 2 machines on a regular generator, it will run for half a day due to the regular one being able to work for a day.

Klei, you ar honestly one of the best video game studios out there- creative, dedicated, listens to their fans, maks fun games that you never get tired of, and very friendly and transparent. Really, thanks for being such a great company! 

Sadly, I don't seem satisfied with this. Wish i was. But i can see the idea behind this, and appreciate it, Rechargeable Generator is a really good idea, however, i think it comes off as plain, many reasons but keeping it short, it is only used in just 2 craftings that... Are ok i guess. Just ok. I don't know if these ideas will develop further or if there is more to come because i hope so. I liked the idea of this generator to be sort of the main tool or gadget that winona could be casually or constantly using every now and then, recharging it with an item that seriously needed more uses. (Really good move there :)).

For the downsides... Just why? :( 2 less seconds aproximately of crafting for even a small 5 hunger loss is terrible for me, maybe instant crafting? So I guess i'm still not playing Winona.

So if this is it, I'm hoping you can surprise us all with the execution in game, since we haven't played this rework, so we can't judge it 100%. 

I hope she can still craft flex tape and use her darkness perk. It was great for caves only as well as long-standing worlds. The changes are strange but not bad I suppose, but I don't see the logic in applying a cost for a perk that is so highly situational and miniscule. The 0.5 seconds deducted from crafting usually only saved about 30 seconds when mass crafting, which only happens about when you need a lot of chests in the starting days or on endless worlds for various things. In my normal play, I hardly ever mass crafted anything and if I did it wasn't much different from mass crafting with any other character. In addition, will she be charged hunger for everything she crafts? Base building doesn't seem like it'd be very prudent for Winona to do if she's hemorrhaging hunger from making a few structures on the server.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

winona_short_teaser.png

Hey Everybody, 

The first Character Update for Don't Starve Together is coming next week on March 7th!

Winona has been hard at work since landing in the Constant, and she’s invented a couple new ingenious tools! Always ready to roll up her sleeves and lend a helping hand, her new Catapult and Spotlight inventions will be sure to keep her new pals safe, no matter what dangers head their way.

Winona’s Catapult

• Requires a rechargeable Generator to power
  • AOE damage to the nearest enemy

Winona’s Spotlight

• Illuminates the nearest ally

Rechargeable Generators

• Winona’s Generator
    • Provides about a day’s worth of power
    • Requires nitre as fuel
  • Winona’s G.E.M.erator
    • Provides 6 day’s worth of power 
    • Requires gems as fuel

However, Winona’s can-do attitude comes at a cost: 

• Winona now consumes hunger when speed-crafting
  • Winona now crafts slowly when hungry (with no hunger cost)

With the update we will also have a new animated short and some huge changes to the drop system.

You won't want to miss this.

See you Thursday!

You guys are incredible :wilson_love:, congratulations to the whole team, I can not wait.

1 hour ago, Chris Snowstorm said:

Sadly, I don't seem satisfied with this. Wish i was. But i can see the idea behind this, and appreciate it, Rechargeable Generator is a really good idea, however, i think it comes off as plain, many reasons but keeping it short, it is only used in just 2 craftings that... Are ok i guess. Just ok. I don't know if these ideas will develop further or if there is more to come because i hope so. I liked the idea of this generator to be sort of the main tool or gadget that winona could be casually or constantly using every now and then, recharging it with an item that seriously needed more uses. (Really good move there :)).

For the downsides... Just why? :( 2 less seconds aproximately of crafting for even a small 5 hunger loss is terrible for me, maybe instant crafting? So I guess i'm still not playing Winona.

So if this is it, I'm hoping you can surprise us all with the execution in game, since we haven't played this rework, so we can't judge it 100%. 

Not anyone can be pleased and that's ok.

Now Winona also has a con tied with hers pro. C'est la vie. Maybe next time think twice (not you, in general the people doing so... those 4-5 recurrent chaps blabbering constantly about re-balances) before advocating something - one might not get what one wished for or in desired manner/capacity. And, again, is ok. Well-earned repercussions.

This generator-business maybe is tied with additional new content, like some kind of special night event or night hostile mobs where mentioned generators play a bon role or aid in such survival event. Who knows.

But... What about the FlexTape? Don't you dear taking that away, Klei! Lmao! 

This is kinda what i wanted. I like exclusive craftings, but i feel like they are less valuable now that you can change characters? 

Still, this is a step in the right direction imo. I am eager to see Wilson's new stuff, for example. 

SCIENCE, BOI. 

6 hours ago, JoeW said:

Winona’s Catapult

• AOE damage to the nearest enemy

Winona’s Spotlight

• Illuminates the nearest ally

Rechargeable Generators

• Winona’s Generator
    • Provides about a day’s worth of power
    • Requires nitre as fuel