Winona's Character Update is Coming Next Week!

1 minute ago, Captain_Rage said:

That's why you will be able to able to construct a new weapon of war - the catapult! It will help you wage a war for gems and nitre - which fuel the catapult! And thus completes a circle for a war over resource that nobody wanted in the first place - except the Moleworms!

That would be funny, to guard the stuff that's used to power the machines guarding it

1 minute ago, reverentsatyr said:

That would be funny, to guard the stuff that's used to power the machines guarding it

a self fulfilling prophecy

i wonder if by the end of the character redoes will their just be this new mentality of trying to take others resources to experience the new stuff

16 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

actually does that mean that the best Wino strat will be in caves for cave ins giving free nitre and the toadstool being close?

plus the spotlight sounds like it will also be mostly useful in the caves

Currently as it stands pre patch winona is a cave friendly character: you can fix your thermals and clothing without the need of hound teeth from the surface, and you can walk in absolute darkness for longer without penalty, saving light sources. Splorange did a video about using her to rush the ruins with tier 0 technology (axes, grass suits and torches, mostly)

I'd like a lot that this niche of usefulness is even increased after her rework.

10 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Currently as it stands pre patch winona is a cave friendly character: you can fix your thermals and clothing without the need of hound teeth from the surface, and you can walk in absolute darkness for longer without penalty, saving light sources. Splorange did a video about using her to rush the ruins with tier 0 technology (axes, grass suits and torches, mostly)

I'd like a lot that this niche of usefulness is even increased after her rework.

yeah she could but now is better

On 02/03/2019 at 10:53 AM, Sivdun said:

Well, still no reason to pick her over The Big Three, it seems a lot of her gimmicks work around base building now. I will hold my judgment on those structures for now until release.  I really like the crafting speed being tied to her hunger level but spending hunger points on speed crafting is a bad idea imo. If we could get mechanics that work similar to Wolfgang's strength + movement buffs from hunger , where high hunger level allows her to perform gathering and crafting tasks faster and vice versa, low hunger means lower gathering and crafting speed. No changes to Mending Tape are a bit disappointing though.

since every character is getting a rework, i dont think setting wickerbottom, wolfgang and wx76 as ideal characters is a good idea, since they more than likely will be nerfed OR changed drastically, knowing how much fuss they caused to the community already

now if that doesnt happen... yea, theyll probably continue to be a no-brainer

Gotta be honest. As cool as this sounds I don't like it too much.

First issue I have with this, is that it looks like the bad ideas people often come around here:

• "She crafts faster, but it should cost hunger". This is one of those ideas made to offset something that does not truly need to be offset, and it does so so spectacularly that you might as well remove that thing in the first place (think for example: Warly's bigger belly with faster hunger rate... and then add his very inconvenient eating mechanic as an example). The biggest problem with this is that you are constantly crafting stuff, because of this you will constantly find yourself hungry, so you will find yourself constantly searching for food (which is among the main reasons Wigfrid, and specially Warly, are "disliked"). This of course might not be a problem if she only loses 1 hunger point per craft (still not ideal), but if she loses 3-5 per craft you will find that after building just one log armor and one spear you have lost 15-25 hunger (2 ropes for the log armor, 1 rope for the spear, 1 log armor, and 1 spear equals 5 items crafted for a total of 25 hunger points, 15 if they cost 3 hunger points per craft); this severely impacts her mass-producing capability (which was ironically enough the only thing setting her apart from the other characters). Now if she were to have a slightly faster hunger rate and hunger not affecting crafting speed (like it will do now...), it would serve a similar purpose, while still being manageable and keeping her mass-producing capability.
  • "She should have her own stations or something". Not a bad idea by itself honestly (although very vague), the problem comes when they add that one of those stations should rely on another station, which the catapult and spotlight do with the generator (meaning you have to build 2 things to make 1 work, I really hate that kind of thing on any video-game, sometimes it makes sense or is made in a fun way, but usually it doesn't and is simply more hassle for less/same fun; I feel the latter will be the case here). If the generator can be used to power up stuff like fling-o's, the new catapult and spotlight, and such machines (like the sprinkler from Hamlet), in an area, it would be worth to have a 2-in-1, but not by default (with this I mean that I wish for the catapult and spotlight to be able to work without a generator, but with a generator you can have several of them plus other machines working on the same fuel). Another thing I dislike is having 2 of the same exact object (think puffy vest and breezy vest, one of them is pointless because it provides less insulation, and the cost is just slightly cheaper), this seems to be the problem that will come with the generators: the gem one will opaque the other simply because gems are relatively easy to amass just middle-game, and they provide 6 times as much energy-time as nitre (a relatively hard to obtain/renew resource late-game).

Second issue (although a very minor one) I have is that it makes little sense for Winona, a factory worker. How does she know how to build a catapult that runs on electrical/magical power, much less a spotlight? Even more so is that the character that hates gems and magics makes a generator that runs on GEMS! Anyway, I am willing to let it go as "a wizard did it" and what not (after all, how does the entire cast know how to build a science machine and other random stuff? Although every character knows how to do most of them, so we can assume "Them" gave the characters the knowledge? Eh, is still speculation).

Third issue is just my doubts on how this will be implemented: how would the new stations work? Does the generators affect a specific area or do they have to be placed inside/alongside the catapult/spotlight? Can we move the catapult/spotlight once we built it? How big is the range of attack/light? Do we need to load the catapult with something (it is not stated, so for the moment I will assume not, but I would have expected rocks or maybe sculptures/boulders to be a requirement)? Can we turn down the generators to save on energy? Depending on the answers, it can really impact how useful and fun this things will be. They can be pretty cool and fun, or easily become an unnecessary hassle.

I still hope I like it (ha). Just my opinion and concerns on the rework.

20 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

actually does that mean that the best Wino strat will be in caves for cave ins giving free nitre and the toadstool being close?

plus the spotlight sounds like it will also be mostly useful in the caves

That was my first thought. As a caver main, I'm interested haha.

6 hours ago, pedregales said:

Gotta be honest. As cool as this sounds I don't like it too much.

First issue I have with this, is that it looks like the bad ideas people often come around here:

[...]

• "She should have her own stations or something". Not a bad idea by itself honestly (although very vague), the problem comes when they add that one of those stations should rely on another station, which the catapult and spotlight do with the generator (meaning you have to build 2 things to make 1 work, I really hate that kind of thing on any video-game, sometimes it makes sense or is made in a fun way, but usually it doesn't and is simply more hassle for less/same fun; I feel the latter will be the case here). If the generator can be used to power up stuff like fling-o's, the new catapult and spotlight, and such machines (like the sprinkler from Hamlet), in an area, it would be worth to have a 2-in-1, but not by default (with this I mean that I wish for the catapult and spotlight to be able to work without a generator, but with a generator you can have several of them plus other machines working on the same fuel).

I just hope that the implementation of this new generator-machine system is somewhat mod friendly.
Got some ideas that may or may not come to fruition, depending on how difficult it is to work with.

6 hours ago, pedregales said:

the gem one will opaque the other simply because gems are relatively easy to amass just middle-game, and they provide 6 times as much energy-time as nitre (a relatively hard to obtain/renew resource late-game).

On my 350+ world, I never have any problems getting nitre. I just have to take the time to do it.

7 hours ago, pedregales said:

Winona, a factory worker. How does she know how to build a catapult that runs on electrical/magical power, much less a spotlight?

I bet that the catapult will look more like a machine than a medieval catapult. I think it makes sense that she knows how to make machines.

10 minutes ago, ModsterMash said:

Quotes suggest Winona once worked as a miner, and she says she prefers uncut gems. So I think it is interesting that she has a cave gameplay advantage because she does have experience with working in caves.

I mean the catapult could be loaded with only Antlion's boulders, these are only from caves :p

1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

Welp Klei. I hope you guys are prepared for this thread to become the Waiting Thread.

You know. Gaining new pages pretty quickly

oh yea...

I gotta take a break before i propably stir up into a tornado again :?

6 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Welp Klei. I hope you guys are prepared for this thread to become the Waiting Thread.

You know. Gaining new pages pretty quickly

Actually it's already the Waiting Thread since some time (and we still having two days until the update). heh

3 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

Actually it's already the Waiting Thread since some time (and we still having two days until the update). heh

I mean the real Waiting Thread where there's a new post every 30 seconds 

4 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

I mean the real Waiting Thread where there's a new post every 30 seconds 

Probably even less seconds if Klei take a time to put the new material. 

(You know, things like "Hey Klei where's the promised update?!" during that day.) 

Archived