what new content would you like to see?

So when you lose in the forge, Pugna says he will rekindle the gateway and intends to return to the throne....

...I think it'd be cool if that was an actual thing,

like a in the normal DST universe (the main game), you just had a portal open up with all the monsters from the forge and you had to defend against that with normal DST gear.

1. More decoration and just more "casual" type content

Once you reach end game, there really isn't much reason for you to continue playing on the world. Sure, you can do some type of challenge for yourself (like playing as wes and using nothing but your fists to fight Dfly or something.), but that can get stale really quickly. So what's the only other thing you can do in end game? Base buliding. One thing that I love about DST and DS is some of the buildings and the general structures (especially in the Gorge, Hamlet, and Forge). End tables are nice, but you can only do so much with those. Maybe something like craftable standards, city lights, or even an interactable chair characters can sit on while having different idle animations for them. 

Spoiler

Heck, even the houses from Hamlet would be nice. 

2.  Using content from Forge and Gorge

It always bothered me why Klei would work for around half a year on content that is only going to be playable for 2 weeks. Klei doesn't need to throw everything in the base game, but they need to do something with all of those unused assests. I could see a new PvP mode that has the stuff from the Forge, or even a "castle defense" mode to make things more interesting.

3. Crafting rework

Crafting  items feel pretty grating at times: like having to craft large quantities of items. A simple fix to crafting would be to add config icon to how many of that one item someone would like to craft. I.E. A Wicker wants to make 3 "End is Nigh" books. the Wicker could repeadly click on the crafting icon to make her books, one-by-one, or she could go to the crafting icon, set it to "3," and the crafting animation would loop for three times. This would make crafting a lot less tedious. As for cooking, the more expenseive dishs sould have a lasting buff/defull attached to them.   

4. Food Rework

There is no reason why someone would make anything that isn't meatball when they're hungry; it's cheap, easy to make, and requires next to no time to make. However, this make items like "Turkey Dinner" and "Meaty Stew" feel like a glorified meatball. For the food to more intresting than 3 ice and one monster meat, the more expenseive dishs sould have a lasting buff/defuff attached to them (something along the lines of the "Jellybeans."). Something like giving "Meaty Stew" a "hearty" buff that slows down hungry depletion, or a "happy" buff one ice cream that removes all negitive sanity auras and amps positive auras. 

5. (Mini)boss drops

Varg really doesn't have anything special about his drops, Ewecus drops Phlegm (which does nothing), Down feathers cluter my chests, etc... Varg could really use a more special drop (like a blueprint to hound mounts, hound whistle, or even a dog collar to permantly tame a hound). Phlegm could be use to make "Sticky" gear/turf ( Like a sticky spear that slows down enemies movement.). And Down feathers could be used as fuel or to even make it an ingredient for the Feathered Crown from the Forge. 

Hmm, what would I like to see?

There's several things. I'd love to see something like a gamemode where time would be going slightly faster - 8 minutes per day and needlessly long animations for picking grass/twigs are just time-wasters, really. Some bosses also have way too much HP and fights last too long, taking even above 15 minutes.

That's why I loved events so much - I could finish the ENTIRE GAME in 20 minutes. I know, I know, survival is a different thing. But still, if starting a new game wouldn't mean "well, I have to dedicate now X hours of my time, which I don't have" I would play much more.

Basically, making the DST experience more compact would be great in my eyes.

But since the above most likely won't happen, here's what I'd like to for DST next:

1. More variety regarding worldgen/resources/creatures

Twiggy Trees and Grass Gekkos were a good idea in a vacuum, just really unbalanced when released, leading to negative response from players. These two are still kind of unbalanced compared to regular Grass/Saplings, since they don't spawn around the world as much/require tools to gather.

I'd love to see more stuff like that though.

Also, new biomes which would have a chance to pop up during world generation, but wouldn't be NECESSARY (like, Pig King not appearing). Just a complimentary biome variants with different creatures, but these biomes would provide a kind-of similar function (which would need changing up the strategy a little bit).

2. More interesting loot

Ewecus and Varg still don't drop anything useful. They're just a waste of resources, really. Yep, you could exploit Varg's hound spawn mechanic, but why you don't get anything for slaying that beast?

Also Toadstool's drops just aren't worth it.

3. Balance changes/new season-exclusive content

Some items are useless, while other like Walking Cane and Walrus Hat are ESSENTIAL and both drop from a single mob, during a single season.

So, you kill a Walrus and that's it. That's the Winter content for ya. Oh, right, him and Deerclops. Pengulls? Yeah, they exist, but you basically never interact with them. They're a waste of assets in my honest opinion.

Summer? Oh yeah, better fish half the summer for that 1% chance Goggles blueprint. Also Antlion can be just easily face-tanked. Cactus reskins are only cosmetic. Sandstorms are basically only there to make you waste time on fishing in the Oasis. That's the Summer content.

And no, caves aren't summer content. What changes in the caves during summer? Oh yeah, debris falls on your head if you haven't killed Antlion. That's it.

4. More LORE

Yep.

Legit, an update dedicated to re-balancing the game using pre-existing assets and code would be worth it.
Think about it.

Below is a literal wall of text of things that are relatively simple piece by piece, but would take some time because, well, it's a gameplay balance update.
...but stuff far more complex and well thought out than this is currently on the workshop and more gets added somewhat steadily, so it's certainly doable. Number balancing for non-pvp games really isn't as hard as it looks and isn't important on a first pass as long as the team is ready to make subsequent patches a month after the changes get a chance to settle, so most of the work would be figuring out 'what feels right'.

Spoiler

Implement Forge combat, mob, and movement mechanics, somewhat favoring the player with the most basic content so DST is still accessible to nubs.
Rebalance of Darts and other weapons to compensate.
Remove Deerclopse's and Bearger's de-spawning behavior. We can shake them off, but we should still have to deal with them later.
Have Deer gain an icy recolor of its Laser attack from the second Winter onwards.
More mob mobility. It's funny that the tiny Forge pigs have a special charge attack while the Ancient Guardian is just a fancy Rook with more HP.

Add back the Whistle, just having it temporarily deaggro Hounds and making them howl. Something in the Shadow Manipulator tier.
Make armor last longer as it increases in tier, with Winona's Flex Tape being capable of repairing it.
In general, base combat and gameplay balancing around the idea that difficulty and complexity should increase as a player delves deeper into and masters the game.
This all ties in with world-gen changes.

Implement Gorge crop mechanics with a longer time scale, and implement the new foods/components and recipes in a new form, balanced around the combat updates. This also ties in with world-gen changes, and gives a base-keeper member of the group something interesting to do. Organizing the aftermath of the daily clown fiesta only goes so far.

Rework crafting so you can use similar items in similar usages, making for less cases where one mob or mechanic is useless and one random uninteresting one is absolutely essential, and more paths for advancement. Eyebrella? Yea, that should require a Deerclopse eye, it's a powerful item. But Teeth and Bone Fragments should be interchangeable. Same with Twigs and Reeds. Ect.
Make toothy mobs like Batilisks drop Teeth, too.

Make world gen flow more logically gameplay-wise, and add some Gorge content in the process. No biomes that become completely useless shortly into the game.
Sugarwood Trees and Spotty Shrubs, along with the Sugarwood biome. It can be put in the middle of the swamp, where that little woodland 'oasis' sometimes spawns currently. Maybe even a little settlement with Mumsy and civilized Merms nearby? She did say that they would follow the survivors.
If the last holds true in some form, let's get the Swamp Pigs where the second Pig Village currently spawns, for the sake of variety.
Move meteors to the Rockylands, along with Salt Ponds that we can farm like in the Gorge. Have Pebble Crabs spawn nearby. Make the Graveyard be the centerpiece of the Mosaic, and shrink it. Maybe even move it closer to Spawn, making it part of the mainland. As far as I've seen in gameplay, the biome's main use is in getting an early-game boost to resources.
Combine the 2 Deserts. There's not really a reason for them to be separate, and the areas where each biome lacks can be benefited by their counterpart's strengths. Basically just remove the secondary Desert, and have the Oasis spawn in Dfly's Desert with Antlion and Super Special Offbrand Cactus spawning nearby in a radius. Add the seasonal Sandstorms, and have Dfly fall asleep during them, like Bearger falls asleep on a seasonal clock.

Game-play gates to progress through like Adventure Mode. It's silly that we can slaughter the entire Pig village multiple times and still be welcomed back as friends. Guard the King with Warrior Pigs, keeping their species on a point system like Hamlet. Bribe them with Gold if you want them to look the other way as we slaughter the lesser castes. Have said normal Pigs run in fear from players after a number of their kind have been rekt. People can choose whether they want to work with the Pigs, or keep them as lesser livestock awaiting slaughter.

Walrus update. Change it so that there are only 2 Walrus Camps that (usually) spawn per world. In exchange, add a Walrus Village. Literally a bunch of size-boosted Wee MacTusks living in igloos surrounding a larger one inhabited by a large MacTusk, that fights with a faster Blowdart with a special 3-bolt freezing attack ripped out of the Forge with a blue effect rather than a red one, and more Ice Doggos. Guaranteed drop of a Tam, a Tusk, some meat and at least 1 Ice Dart. When their Glorious Leader dies, have all the Wees charge at player(s) to melee like angry little cinnamon buns, dropping meat and a low percentage of a Tusk.

Actual Gates (like the ones leading to the Atrium) in the Labyrinth leading to the Ancient Guardian. Together with the Guardian getting an Attack Pattern update, it'd make the encounter feel a lot more H Y P E. Which...considering what it is, it should.
This would also provide a softer path for the player to learn things like rapid Sanity manipulation and Telepoofing (or jumping if such items are added with the combat/mobility update...which would be great for crossing tiny land gaps) before the Fuelweaver encounter.

...its been mentioned by the team in the past that these kinds of changes aren't as exciting/don't draw as many people in so they haven't been a priority, buuut...I'd think that an update that changes the way the game is actually played would be more than exciting enough to put together an update poster. Of course, it could also be broken into parts in order to test the theory before diving all the way in.
Since it would largely be a mechanical update, the graphics team would also be left open to work on more skins. Win win.

I'm hoping that some of the less time consuming portions of this might actually be coming for Year of the Pig. Mainly the Swamp Pigs and Mumsy's gang. Here's hoping we'll get Gorge biome elements, too. Please the Salt Ponds and Pebble Crabs. Something for Rockyland.

8 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

Implement Forge combat, mob, and movement mechanics, somewhat favoring the player with the most basic content so DST is still accessible to nubs.

In my view, DST shouldn't have to be accessible to new players. It's the "uncompromising wilderness game", and its entire gimmick is "**** you". I just watched a friend of mine play his first few games, and it was amazing, and he slowly learnt how not to die, which is the best part of this franchise and the reason I don't like the ghost system.

Yea, I had a lot of fun dying over and over in SP learning to play the game. First Eyeplant invasion, oh boy.
I just put early game ease in there as a compromise, because ease of access to the game seems to be a thing the devs are going for in DST.

Some lore on Charlie being one. 

And I have to agree with a lot of others in that I'd love to see the fighting mechanics from the Forge brought in and farming/cooking mechanics from the Gorge. I'd really like to see an update to the food items. 

More food with buffs! We have temperature food buffs, would be nice to see:

movement speed buffs, like in SW,

food that increases max hunger/sanity/hp

Food with DEBUFFS! cheap to make, restores a lot of stats, but gives you movement speed debuff, or increases incoming damage etc

Food that attracts creatures like birds, butterflies, koalelephants,

food that makes any creature attack you first, so you can be a viable tank

Food that increases you craft speed, fishing speed, gather speed

In terms of crockpot dishes, more like Tropical Bouillabaisse (https://dontstarve.gamepedia.com/Tropical_Bouillabaisse) which give you Stardew Valley-style buffs (with specific ingredients that may take a while to reliably farm) would be really cool to see.
That being said, bouillabaisse is incredibly powerful once you obtain all 3 fish types, but seeing more dishes that grant buffs would be interesting.
(It would also be nice to see dishes that grant buffs other than speed or health regen, as these have been seen a few times before.)

On 15/12/2018 at 2:08 PM, Pruinae said:

A way to cross the map "rivers", something like a bridge?

Yeah, I been thinking about something like this too, because the only way to "cross the sea" today is just: Lazy Explorer or Walk the whole map.

Archived