Why you main what you mane when you mein?

1 hour ago, Mindkontrol said:

I know why people play the top couple of characters, Wolfgang, Wigfrid, WickerB, but I am curious to hear who else people are using and why you like them?

50 minutes ago, JellyUltra said:

why do you keep listing Wigfrid in WX-78's spot lmao she's never been considered top-tier

Yeah, WX-78 is part of the OP trio, wigfrid's downside is very restricting, anyway, getting off-topic.

I main Webber when I'm serious because silk farms are very strong, and Maxwell when I want to have fun because low HP isn't a real downside and I like the ease of resource gathering.

Also, both of them are great for lab rush :D

Woodie.
Great personality.

That's why I originally started playing him more, but cave bases are my thing, and I've learned that he's terrific for cave lyfe.
Free sanity from planting trees, you simultaneously add more resources around the caves.
Longer duration on friendship timers, ie LORD OF THE BUNNYMEN
And the moon can't reach you underground. No random full moon werebeavering.
Super easy nightmare fuel farming if you do go werebeaver, good if you want to get some Magiluminescence fuel without a ruins trip.

And this skin makes it look kind of like he's starting to morph into a tree and I like that for some reason.

5b4271d1155c7_TreeWoodie.png.898411e522f41af35d80c678a33160c6.png

I'm sure that everyone has their own reason and personal preference as to why they main who they main.

For me, I main Wendy because she was the first character I did well at surviving with when I started in vanilla Don't Starve single player. Her examination quotes and overall personality eventually became my favorite among the DST cast, too.

I had learned a lot watching guides on YouTube, seeing others stream, and browsing forums/wiki for information and in-depth analysis of the characters. Thus, my play-style changed drastically when I migrated to DST. I had to adapt to the new features as well as increased health of many monsters. Even so, she still remained my most played character.

Once you play enough of the game and progress in skill level, you come to a point where you can survive easily and even defeat all the enemies in the game as any character by yourself. At that stage, all that really matters is who you have the most fun playing as.

Of course, most of what I just wrote usually only applies to when I play solo. For me, I normally try to put others' needs before my own so that affects who I choose to play as depending on what group I join and which characters are being utilized.

I recently got invited to my first co-op in a none-public server and I have been considering taking up Wickerbottom. I launched a solo server to practice as her and rushed the ruins. It was pretty shocking for me to see how fast everything died when poking them as someone that didn't have the reduced damage modifier. It almost felt like I was playing a mod character.

I honestly like all the characters of DST, but there's no denying that some are better at certain tasks than others. I guess in regards to maining a character, it honestly comes down to if you value personality or perks more.

Why do I main my Brobot, Wx-78?
Because 30 day overcharge is just too fun, getting to sprint and blast through the ruins without a care in the world for light sources.

I also kinda like being an errand boy, not having many personal goals, but just sprinting to the other end of the map to get stuff for other people's convenience, and eventually participating in the raid bosses.

I used to main Willow back in beta when a burning tree would chop instantly and keep the logs intact. Back during fun PvP servers when you could burn boards in your inventory and toss them in to another's and watch as they die in a fiery confusion. Good times...

Woodie is my personal main

His character and examines are something I really enjoy and once you get used to his beaver form and can adapt to it properly he effectively has no downsides. Along with a perk that allows for some of the quickest sanity recovery in the game which combos well with beaver form being one of the quicker sanity drops in the game.

Bending my sanity at will along with the uses of faster chopping and being lord of the animals makes for a very engaging character to play and one I personally have gotten very fixed on playing. 

I've tried other characters but...

Maxwell to squishy

All my friends are already Wicker mains

The one friend of mine that dosen't main Wicker already mains Webber

Wilson to generic

Winona same reason

Willow would get me kicked 9 times out of 10

Wendy's damage penalty would take too much getting used to if you ask me

My one friend that dosen't main Wicker or Webber Mains Wolf

Wig's dietary restrictions are annoying

Asking for leftover gears would give me stress as WX because I like pleasing others and I don't want to risk making others mad by asking for something they might not want me to have causing them to reject me...(I overthink things sometimes)

and... Wes has no examines, and I can't live without examines

49 minutes ago, Mr Pig said:

Asking for leftover gears would give me stress as WX because I like pleasing others and I don't want to risk making others mad by asking for something they might not want me to have causing them to reject me...(I overthink things sometimes)

I feel the same way. I try my best to get my own gears from tumbleweeds first, then fully upgrade during the first ruins raid. But If I see we've got like 30+ gears and enough fridges/fling-o's, I'm gonna go ahead and chug those... sorry not sorry. Plus its usually a one-time investment since you're VERY unlikely to die once fully upgraded, so you shouldn't be spending many gears on 1 or 2 Wx's.

2 hours ago, Extant said:

For me, I main Wendy because she was the first character I did well at surviving with when I started in vanilla Don't Starve single player. Her examination quotes and overall personality eventually became my favorite among the DST cast, too.

I'm pretty much the same, with the exception that I learnt most stuff by soloing in DST.

1 hour ago, Mr Pig said:

Wendy's damage penalty would take too much getting used to if you ask me

I can understand that, good thing I'm already used to it :D

1 hour ago, Mr Pig said:

and... Wes has no examines, and I can't live without examines

I agree with this so much! The examination quotes are one of the best things in DS/T, they can make that great atmosphere that sucked me into this game.

4 hours ago, Fill-Lips said:

wigfrid's downside is very restricting

You only lose out on a few good healing and sanity foods. And considering her perks, she doesn't really need them anyway.

Anyway, back on topic: I'm a Maxwell main. There's several reasons for that. I enjoy his personality and his backstory. He's also pretty good at getting basic resources. I often end up hoarding resources anyway, so groups with me are often well stocked on supplies. His perks work well with how I play games like this. And lastly I actually enjoy his frailty. I'm fairly experienced with the game, so the lower maximum health helps keep a bit of challenge.

I like Wx-78.

His examination quotes and personality are quite funny. I'm... average player. I can solo most bosses, I can explore ruins. But I also love to just examine everything around me when I do these things. That's why I like Wx-78. His quotes are better than Wickerbottom's full science definitions, Willow talking about fire or Wilson with his puns

He's fun to play.

He was the 1st character I invaded ruins and killed all raid bosses with.

He gets a lot of cool skins. Don't get me wrong other characters' skins are also good. But when it comes to Wx-78 (and kinda Webber) developers can basically just change everything. 

19 hours ago, ProfessorAlpaca said:

Why do I main my Brobot, Wx-78?
Because 30 day overcharge is just too fun, getting to sprint and blast through the ruins without a care in the world for light sources.

I also kinda like being an errand boy, not having many personal goals, but just sprinting to the other end of the map to get stuff for other people's convenience, and eventually participating in the raid bosses.

I used to main Willow back in beta when a burning tree would chop instantly and keep the logs intact. Back during fun PvP servers when you could burn boards in your inventory and toss them in to another's and watch as they die in a fiery confusion. Good times...

Wait, 30 day? Wasn't 15 days the limit? Which was like 1 or 2 book uses? I usually ask for 1 book to be used on me when playing WX which seems to last at least 10 days before it runs out, I think.

19 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

Wicker because of her books. When I am not her I play as Wilson.

Playing solo so having Wicker is quite good for fighting bosses because you can use books. Also good for farming.

Where are your players?! Wickerbottom is the most powerful character, but nobody wants to play her for some reason! I just want to run fast as that is a huge advantage, so if it wasn't for speed I would use her instead.

Makswell cuz he's better than bearger :)

Spoiler

His 6.66 sanity regen is ****ty btw it's too weak to keep you sane around evil monstas and it's strong enough to be annoying when farming nf earlygame plz buff

Also his duelists are ew klei plz buff :(

dontflamemepls

I just play whoever I feel I should play. I used to play a lot of Willow and Wolfgang in original Don't Starve but since Willow's downside is too overbearing now that I know how to deal with insanity, and I don't have any of wolfgang's skins, I end up being drawn to WX, mainly because I also like the fact gears can be useful past the 2 ice boxes. 

7 hours ago, Lakurius said:

His 6.66 sanity regen is ****ty btw it's too weak to keep you sane around evil monstas

I abuse the dark sword a lot and I rarely go insane as Maxwell unintentionally. His regen is exactly the same as a tam, you know, the best sanity restoring hat in the game. They both stack too. And if you need extra sanity for whatever reason, he still has access to the other sanity restoring methods every other character can use.

7 hours ago, Lakurius said:

it's strong enough to be annoying when farming nf earlygame plz buff

Wormholes and green caps help with that. Once you get 6 fuel you can also make 2 duelists and a worker to be constantly insane.

Since I started playing I automatically gravitated towards the lady characters, 'cause, well, I like lady characters. 

I'm tied between Wendy & Wigfred. Wendy feels a little more challenging to me, because once you know how to farm meat, you're pretty golden with Wigfred. I love Wendy's quotes, the sound she makes when she speaks (most of the other character's annoy me), her lore about her sister, and the fact I can farm spiders, bees, and a lot of things efficiently. She's been a great character to learn on.

After playing Wigfred for a while though... Man it felt like easy mode. Farm and kill all the things. That's just why I like her, she go smash, in a unicorn helmet. Where I was struggling to kill clock works on Wendy, Wigfred can face tank a rhino.

Willow I like a lot aesthetically, but getting her bear to activate is a struggle. I feel like I'm just the charcoal farmer. It is fun to be slightly feared on vanilla public servers though, heh. Not that I'd burn anything important, anyway. :p Winona... Very 1950's aesthetically, looks like she should be flexing her arm saying "We can do it!" But not very fun. Wickerbottom is intimidating and I suppose an advanced character from where I'm standing. I'll mess with her more one day, but for now I'm happy to ghost around with Wendy, or go smash with Wig.

28 minutes ago, AnitaCoffee said:

Since I started playing I automatically gravitated towards the lady characters, 'cause, well, I like lady characters. 

I'm tied between Wendy & Wigfred. Wendy feels a little more challenging to me, because once you know how to farm meat, you're pretty golden with Wigfred. I love Wendy's quotes, the sound she makes when she speaks (most of the other character's annoy me), her lore about her sister, and the fact I can farm spiders, bees, and a lot of things efficiently. She's been a great character to learn on.

After playing Wigfred for a while though... Man it felt like easy mode. Farm and kill all the things. That's just why I like her, she go smash, in a unicorn helmet. Where I was struggling to kill clock works on Wendy, Wigfred can face tank a rhino.

Willow I like a lot aesthetically, but getting her bear to activate is a struggle. I feel like I'm just the charcoal farmer. It is fun to be slightly feared on vanilla public servers though, heh. Not that I'd burn anything important, anyway. :p Winona... Very 1950's aesthetically, looks like she should be flexing her arm saying "We can do it!" But not very fun. Wickerbottom is intimidating and I suppose an advanced character from where I'm standing. I'll mess with her more one day, but for now I'm happy to ghost around with Wendy, or go smash with Wig.

There's a reason why pigmen don't like players to get too close to them... and I'm not talking about Webber. "I'm having pig tönight!"

Also... if there's something strange in the neighborhood. Who you gonna' call? Ghost Wendy!

Depends on the type of server...but I have 3 different mains:

For Endless I go Waxwell. For Survival I either go Woodie or Wendy. 

Why?

Spoiler

Waxwell for starters because I can just get my pal Wicker to make me a buttload of books that I can read later for her, and he's a good resource hoarder gatherer.

Spoiler

Wendy...well first of all I love Abigail for mob control and being my meat shield. Despite not having any meat to speak of...

Her reduced sanity loss is nice too.

Spoiler

Woodie's a Canadian, so I can relate to him on a personal level. You think the whole werebeaver thing is a curse? Nah man, it's just Canadian puberty. True facts.

Archived