What do you think the next update would be about?

3 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Why would little rat hogs be aggressive?

They're mad that Klei passed them over in favor of dreckos.

31 minutes ago, minespatch said:

So... Volgus will still be a thing?

I sure hope so.  Them and shockworms need to be in the game, in my opinion.

I'm hoping for an update where they revolutionize the game, like in alpha. So much so that the whole game dynamic would change. World building, social things perhaps, creatures, and some general cleaning, like how sleeping puflets look as if they belong on the floor, not air.

Maybe some special things to make everything unique?

19 hours ago, mr peeps said:

like how sleeping puflets look as if they belong on the floor, not air.

Then again how do pufts float? Would it even be possible for them to sleep on the floor?

I think they just deflate enough to be able to safely sleep without floating into orbit. :wilson_dorky:

On 5/12/2018 at 3:41 PM, watermelen671 said:

Then again how do pufts float? Would it even be possible for them to sleep on the floor?

I think they just deflate enough to be able to safely sleep without floating into orbit. :wilson_dorky:

well, thing is that they kinda squish, as if they are laying on the floor

I think they should provide some waste disposal options. Like you put in power and gas/liquid/solid, a and out comes...nothing. This would close the gap they currently have for an endlessly running colony. As it is at the moment, there are very few regulation mechanisms for matter, everything has to be just right. For example, dupes need exactly 1000kcal/cycle. You cannot underfeed them a little, and maybe have them move slower as a result. Ranching has added a bit because you can control what critters eat, but it is fully manual and tedious.

2 hours ago, mr peeps said:

well, thing is that they kinda squish, as if they are laying on the floor

Spoiler

5a39b779869d78becddac30e633bfa98.png

f71cf556ede1a082905880e0fd27b5f1.png

86968e48008d08a59436f6f4ccce5007.png

Partial Puft Puncturing of Perpetual Pressure Propulsion. :wilson_goodjob:

Shine Nymphs do the same thing, it's just more believable because their little rotors keep spinning when they fall asleep. Nobody knows how Pufts maintain flight...so I suppose it's safe to assume that they just partially deflate, so they don't float away while they're relaxed and asleep. (Because if they maintain flight by regulating internal air pressure, it would kinda go out the window as soon as they fall asleep.)

Spoiler

And by out the window, I mean LITERALLY out the window! SOMEBODY GRAB THAT PUFT, THEY'RE FLOATING INTO ORBIT!!! :wilson_horror:

1st & 2nd law of thermodynamics overhaul, consistent power usage, waste heat output, conservation of mass & energy. Replace combustion based power (which is highly irrational given a lack of oxygen...) with radioisotope, geothermal, and nuclear. New buildings to manage waste heat and reject heat to space/void. Asteroid surface access with eventual end game goal of building an escape rocket. 

13 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

Nuclear (fission and/or fusion) power would be really cool. Would give an additional use for Tenured Scientists, training into Nuclear Scientists / Particle Physicists.

But then we would need an Uranium or Plutonium geyser in addition, unless that stuff runs infinitely. Talking of fission, was ther not some dupe that claimed he could nuke the whole colony?

12 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Talking of fission, was ther not some dupe that claimed he could nuke the whole colony?

Nikola's bio talks about a laser so powerful it could destroy the whole asteroid.  IT's a nod to Nikola Tesla, who dreamed of constructing what he called a "Death Ray", which may or may not have been a lightning based weapon that may or may not have worked, but the principle behind it is solid.  If that is in fact what he tried to make.

4 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Nikola's bio talks about a laser so powerful it could destroy the whole asteroid.  IT's a nod to Nikola Tesla, who dreamed of constructing what he called a "Death Ray", which may or may not have been a lightning based weapon that may or may not have worked, but the principle behind it is solid.  If that is in fact what he tried to make.

I was always under the assumption that his deathray gave birth to microwaves and radar

Just now, Kabrute said:

I was always under the assumption that his deathray gave birth to microwaves and radar

I believe they were parallel/branching lines of research, not the same one.  My understanding is that the Death Ray project was a separate project.

Also note great uncertainty with which I couched my entire description.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

But then we would need an Uranium or Plutonium geyser in addition, unless that stuff runs infinitely. Talking of fission, was ther not some dupe that claimed he could nuke the whole colony?

U/Pu has about 1 million times the energy density of coal/oil. So fission power would be more about finding/refining the fuel and making the parts of the reactor, control system, and cooling/power generation systems.

32 minutes ago, QuantumPion said:

U/Pu has about 1 million times the energy density of coal/oil. So fission power would be more about finding/refining the fuel and making the parts of the reactor, control system, and cooling/power generation systems.

I would actually be way more ok with nuclear power if it was a multi piece power plant as opposed to a single oversized generator like the steam turbine is. 

22 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

I would actually be way more ok with nuclear power if it was a multi piece power plant as opposed to a single oversized generator like the steam turbine is. 

But that'd kinda make a problem wouldn't it? You'd need ALL parts, AND to have a fully set up and inter-functioning area specifically dedicated to operating nuclear power. Which to me just seems inconvenient, especially when there's much easier forms of generating power that's much easier to set up and have running.

Spoiler

Also, people keep talking about how they want nuclear power, but how are we going to deal with radiation, cooling, and nuclear waste? We can't just feed it to Hatches (at least not anymore), and leaving it out in the environment risks getting dupes contaminated with radiation, which can cause mass contamination to clean water supplies, or really ALL supplies in general. Do we put it in lead containers? Where do we get the lead? Where do we put the containers, do we just bury it or jettison it out into space? What if it re-enters orbit? Would it break up upon re-entry, and coat the atmosphere in radioactive isotopes? 

TL;DR If Nuclear power is mis-handled in any way shape or form, EVERYBODY IS SCREWED.

With the way Dupes are functioning now, and the delicate nature and precision required for operating a nuclear power plant, I'd say it'd be safe to say that nuclear power is going to be the absolute LAST upgrade we're going to get, IF we get it in the first place.

I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE AN ONI CHERNOBYL, ARE WE CLEAR? 

Spoiler

NU-CLEAR? :biggrin-new:

i am not aware of any systems that directly harness the material energy of nuclear fission, afaik nearly all nuclear power systems are little more than steam engines with an insane fuel source, as such, materially speaking we can already create and utilize the greater portions of nuclear power systems vis a vis the boilers with integrated turbines.

When they add nuclear power it should be realistic.
A dangerous technology, which destroy surroundings.
Hope dupes are not so silly like humans, to add that stuff, but when not, it should have massive negative impact.
Energy is no problem in ONI, with nuclear power, dupes perhaps create an isotope, which is needed for hyperdrive, to leave the asteroid..
imagesvc.timeincapp_com.thumb.jpg.098310e833ed47b17134f5e94600895c.jpg

Archived