What do you think the next update would be about?

On 26/05/2018 at 2:35 PM, mircomars said:

I'd rather take an escape-plot as end-game

I am pretty against this being the cause.

They were put on the asteroid for a reason, If the reason was to "Escape" then why put them there... I reckon you are there to mine materials, blow up the asteroid to save your planet, or move the asteroid to save your planet. Would be pretty dumb if they said right we are gonna put you in an asteroid, then you need to escape and come back home, where there is another you because you are a duplicate.

6 hours ago, Martillo said:

I can't think a way that make usefull, fun or simply functional "explosions".

If you can't you don't need to! 

In this case explosion for me is something that PhailRaptor said. I can add this: 

- explosion of broken building\equipment\plants etc.

- inaccurate handling of tools by Dupes (kitchen stuff for example)

Definitely, it will take a lot of effort to develope the whole system of these interactions. And maybe it's not as nessesary as you might think it is. However it's just my 2 cents of suggestions. 'Cause I think it would be fun to see a little KABOOM, let's say, in a gas pipe because of inappropriate mixing of gases! Use your imagination! ;)

On 5/26/2018 at 8:35 AM, mircomars said:

please don't add enemies.

Why do some players have such an aversion to combat in this game?  Hostile critters/NPCs are setting-appropriate, match the theme, and represent the one unpredictable problem we'd have to solve for.  A little less predictability would be a good thing, in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Martillo said:

don't know why a lot of people suggest explosions. I think is a really bad idea, besides that, it does not fit in the game.

You say it doesn't fit the game, but there are art assets within the game's files that indicate the developers at the very least used to think otherwise.

8 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I am pretty against this being the cause.

They were put on the asteroid for a reason, If the reason was to "Escape" then why put them there... I reckon you are there to mine materials, blow up the asteroid to save your planet, or move the asteroid to save your planet. Would be pretty dumb if they said right we are gonna put you in an asteroid, then you need to escape and come back home, where there is another you because you are a duplicate.

I think you're downplaying the possibility that the dupes were ever anything more than an experiment being conducted by the Gravitas corporation.  If the dupes are essentially leftover lab rats in an abandoned laboratory, it makes perfect sense for them to "win" by "escaping the lab."

I think combustion mechanics would actually fit the game perfectly!

Organics should burst in flames in high temperatures given presence of oxygen, emitting hot dirt, CO2, a bit of steam and light. Removing the oxygen by any means, like flooding with CO2 or water - kills the fire...

Also, hydrogen and oxygen with a spark (like from a wet battery) could produce hot steam (here's your explosion by the way)

At the very least, I don't want enemies added unless they also add in non-hostile encounters.  Especially if they've come looking to trade.  Perhaps their food stores are low and they'd happily trade those omelettes you've stockpiled for a ton or two of ore they've got in their hold.

15 hours ago, goboking said:

I think you're downplaying the possibility that the dupes were ever anything more than an experiment being conducted by the Gravitas corporation.  If the dupes are essentially leftover lab rats in an abandoned laboratory, it makes perfect sense for them to "win" by "escaping the lab."

We could also be there to destroy the asteroid, loads of different things, but escaping from your survival situation is cliche, Rimworld and Factorio both have you escape right? Obviously the games are different but still.

In the other heavily atmospheric simulated game I know (SS13). fire is used to destroy. It heavily pressurizes any sealed area with superhot CO2 and destroys oxygen. It's a game with a different goal though, where the ultimate fate of the sandbox is to be destroyed.

In ONI, where we are playing in our sandbox to create and survive, fire needs to be handled differently. Adding more punishment to already punishing game is fine by me, but some may not like it. Adding 'random' fires to machinery seems like a needless change. There are two ways I think of where fire could be handled ONI-style. One would be to use a thermo-electric generator, but that may be a too effective way to delete heat. Another would be perhaps allowing us to utilize superhot gas, radiator heated using a burn chamber perhaps, for sucking into canisters that go into machinery or mining bombs.

Fire's complicated. I think there's other things like expansion on disease, combat, dupes themselves, or endgame before Fire.

5 minutes ago, old_fantom said:

Have they done the twitch previews on Wednesday in the past?  Or do they open the beta branch and do the twitch preview on Thursdays?.  I can't recall.  

Always Thursdays, at least in recent memory.

Boxing gloves, for idle dupes, that they can punch other dupes, while idle.
When active dupes are punched, while doing tasks, they take gloves on too and take a fight with 12 rounds, each 10 cycles long.
When other active dupes come by, they watch the fight.
New research tree on tier 5, includes popslimemachine(could be automated).
boston_party_entertainment_inflatables_b

I am looking for a dupe bar.  You can ferment reed fibers and balm lilies.  New jobs, bartender and still operator.  But the asteroid is a dry county.  So we will need revenuers.  We will also need runners to move the liquor.  New tier 7 job will be mafia boss and G-Man.  

9 minutes ago, old_fantom said:

I am looking for a dupe bar.  You can ferment reed fibers and balm lilies.  New jobs, bartender and still operator.  But the asteroid is a dry county.  So we will need revenuers.  We will also need runners to move the liquor.  New tier 7 job will be mafia boss and G-Man.  

Reed fibers? I don't think you can ferment cellulose fibers...

Spoiler

5b0ff82c61062_Screenshot(376).thumb.png.d204dc2cb678a9e984e0ac11ea9c73d5.png

Apparently it does...and it makes ethanol. While not real booze, it does make for a good fuel source!

Also, clearly missing the OBVIOUS alcoholic beverage maker: sleet wheat.

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

Reed fibers? I don't think you can ferment cellulose fibers...

Reveal hidden contents

5b0ff82c61062_Screenshot(376).thumb.png.d204dc2cb678a9e984e0ac11ea9c73d5.png

Apparently it does...and it makes ethanol. While not real booze, it does make for a good fuel source!

Also, clearly missing the OBVIOUS alcoholic beverage maker: sleet wheat.

Gristle berries could also probably be made into an alcohol. 

On 5/29/2018 at 9:25 PM, Man in the Mist said:

At the very least, I don't want enemies added unless they also add in non-hostile encounters.  Especially if they've come looking to trade.  Perhaps their food stores are low and they'd happily trade those omelettes you've stockpiled for a ton or two of ore they've got in their hold.

I think radio contact with non-hostile NPCs for trade would be cool.  A diplomacy or haggling skill for our dupes could be a fun addition to the game.  But I suspect it's incompatible with the developers' desired end-game scenario.

In the final phases of the game, we expect the tech tree to be much deeper than it is now, extending to what we would call “space tech”. During that phase, the Duplicants will discover why they are trapped on an asteroid, and what they can do about it.

I'm speculating, but I suspect we're going to try to build a rocket in which we'll escape the asteroid and "win" the game.  If so, we could use radio towers to signal for rescue instead of flagging down spacefarers for trade.  Again, that's just speculation on my part and I could easily be wrong.

2 hours ago, old_fantom said:

I'd LOVE a lounge, complete with a bartender serving Bristleberry Juice to the patrons.  It would be the prefect spot for idle dupes to loiter, it would be atmospheric, and it would allow the artists to come up with some cool new buildings and animations for the game.  I'll take it a step further: allow 3rd-tier artists to sing (creativity isn't limited to painting and sculpting, after all) and give us a karaoke machine for the bar and our dupes have a real chance to cut loose after a hard day's work mining out the slime biome.

I've always been one of those really weird people that thoroughly enjoys the challenge of under water levels so I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of submerged no one.  Throw in some of those fancy electric eels that some people have mentioned to make it extra dangerous.  A really difficult area to take that's not meant to be tapped into early game.

Perhaps some new plant types that require being partially or fully submerged in water in order to grow.  Seaweed? Rice?  Mmm, Pacus sushi rolls...  oh!  Or maybe a way to grow algae.

An expansion on the lore would also be nice.  It doesnt even have to be any thing big.  It could be some sort of flooded research/science centers that aren't nearly as dilapidated as the current ruins are.  They could have additional varied and unique automation puzzles for us to solve in order to get at the tint tidbits of lore that leaves us with more questions than answers.

Also, I want to be able to build those fancy tables and vending machines.

Archived