Ranching Upgrade Mark I Preview Now Available! - 258691

9 minutes ago, vonVile said:

I like the new priority system after figuring it out, but I have a question when it comes to the career symbol. Is that a higher priority than the highest or just a designation?

An Empowered Fan i see...

I FOUND A BUDDY

11 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  1. lineup.png
  1. Why does the hatch egg resemble a tallbird egg?
  2. With these technicolor eggs, they're just in time for Easter.
52 minutes ago, Craftcoat said:

An Empowered Fan i see... I FOUND A BUDDY

A fellow Adam Warren fan~ Currently on volume seven.

15 minutes ago, minespatch said:
  1. Why does the hatch egg resemble a tallbird egg?
  2. With these technicolor eggs, they're just in time for Easter.

A fellow Adam Warren fan~ Currently on volume seven.

Waitin on Vol. 11

• Sad 1

I did not play the preview so far, i like the eggs, but howto manage heat with all those new heat sources?
I understand not really the logic for the gameplay and howto manage that, without drip bug.
Massive steam engine infrastructure, to run the cooling for the rest(withoutexploit/bug/hidden feature)?
That tenured scientists are needed to discover, i don't like.
There are not many ways, to solve problems and sometimes when i play the "new" ONI i feel like playing a creative railshooter, with limited creativity.
When dwarf fortress would have ONI visuals, that would be nice, but DF is a good example, that gameplay is more important then visuals.
I hope Mark 2 could fix that..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

That tenured scientists are needed to discover, i don't like.

You only need the Tenured Scientist in order to analyze the output cycle of the Geyser, not to make use of it.  It's only necessary for tightly calibrated systems that rely on knowing exactly how much is produced and how often.  As a bonus you are also told the current point in the active/dormant cycle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

I did not play the preview so far, i like the eggs, but howto manage heat with all those new heat sources?

I'm planning on using closed loop steam gas pipes to transfer the heat to a central steam turbine room. Steam turbines delete insane amounts of heat.

• Like 1

I played a bit and the changes are nice. But! The game crash all ~5 Minutes. Have played till cycle ~100 and now it is a pain to play it. Don't know what is the problem. The game still crash in few minutes. Not playable for me. I waiting few days and try it again with new patches. This is just horrible at the moment. :shock:

PS: I love the animal animations. :D

As far as animal husbandry goes, it seems to me that Mk I already covered most everything that's already in the game.  We have a new job focused on animal husbandry, we have ways to capture, deposit, and feed every animal already in the game, and every creature save morbs can reproduce.  We've even got a renewable source of meat and a new cooking ingredient to boot.  So, what's left that warrants a Mk II?

I can only guess that new creatures will finally be added to the game.  If this is indeed the case, I hope we'll finally get pacu, volgus (volgi?), and shockworms.  I'd be delighted if at least one of these was aggressive and another carried a new disease.

So about the starvation.   Does the game differentiate between whether a creature is wild or domesticated?

So starvation will only apply to domesticated creatures?   Would really suck if you don't bump into a certain creature and they all die off before you find them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goboking said:

As far as animal husbandry goes, it seems to me that Mk I already covered most everything that's already in the game.  We have a new job focused on animal husbandry, we have ways to capture, deposit, and feed every animal already in the game, and every creature save morbs can reproduce.  We've even got a renewable source of meat and a new cooking ingredient to boot.  So, what's left that warrants a Mk II?

I can only guess that new creatures will finally be added to the game.  If this is indeed the case, I hope we'll finally get pacu, volgus (volgi?), and shockworms.  I'd be delighted if at least one of these was aggressive and another carried a new disease.

I agree, the addition of new critters seems very very likely.

Either in Mk II or during this preview, I hope to see a better way of handling flying creatures. The old lures are not good, I'm pretty sure the devs know that (watching the stream, it seemed like they were aware), and either this or Mk II is where it most makes sense to fix them.

1 hour ago, Luminite2 said:

I agree, the addition of new critters seems very very likely.

Either in Mk II or during this preview, I hope to see a better way of handling flying creatures. The old lures are not good, I'm pretty sure the devs know that (watching the stream, it seemed like they were aware), and either this or Mk II is where it most makes sense to fix them.

That is interesting to hear.  I was thinking about how pneumatic doors can be used to "trap" hatches.  And wondered if they can implement something with similar functionality towards flying creatures.

Due to the larger range of movement for flying,  you would need to have a large basket/lattern or netting to capture them(made of reed fiber maybe?).  Let's say you would build a tall contraption that is around 1 tile wide and 5-6 tiles tall.  And the active trapping area would be the top 3-4 tiles of the device.  

Once the creature interacts with the trap,  the trap/basket goes away and a basket with the creature inside drops to the ground for easy retrieval.

(maybe keep the plastic lure device around,  or build it into the new trap with it costing more materials or time.)

pufts.jpg.42ca7cd3ca0ecde24c6546f389787c64.jpg

I checked the wild hatches and they are all on 0 calories and are starving. I don't know if this means they are dying though, as the tooltip suggests that starving is only a "happiness" debuff. That being said, a hatch did mysteriously vanish from within my base so perhaps they do die eventually. This would kinda suck as I can't imagine having the infrastructure to take advantage of hatches for quite a while after starting.