Ranching Upgrade Mark I Preview Now Available! - 258691

6 minutes ago, SixbySix said:

Has Klei ever commented on drip cooling to anyone's knowledge?

They have not. No. Nor do I think they will any time soon.

And good luck trying to manage heat without some form of heat deletion now with a tons of new and seriously hot heat sources being introduced.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

If I switch to the test branch, can I load up my main branch save games and the new stuff will appear in those? Will I lose existing save games if I start playing in test branch? And do I have to effectively download the game twice to have the main game and the test branch on my computer? Thanks.

your saves won't load the new stuff

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jigsawn said:

If I switch to the test branch, can I load up my main branch save games and the new stuff will appear in those? Will I lose existing save games if I start playing in test branch? And do I have to effectively download the game twice to have the main game and the test branch on my computer? Thanks.

You can't get the new geysers unless you go through map creation, so a new map.  You won't lose the existing saves unless you delete them.  you can't have the main game and the test branch at the same time.  if you revert, it will remove the test branch files and you'll just have the main branch.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

If I switch to the test branch, can I load up my main branch save games and the new stuff will appear in those

Partly no. You can have the new building and new tech in your old save. But you need to creature a new world to find the new geyser. 

3 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

Will I lose existing save games if I start playing in test branch?

If you once save your game in test branch, you can't load them in job upgrade any more.

4 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

And do I have to effectively download the game twice to have the main game and the test branch on my computer?

NO

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

They have not. No. Nor do I think they will any time soon.

And good luck trying to manage heat without some form of heat deletion now with a tons of new and seriously hot heat sources being introduced.

I don't mind at all that some players happily use the drip cooling trick or other quasi-sketchy heat-deletion methods - it's a single-player game, do anything you like - but you've got to acknowledge this isn't useful as a defense of those things as such. It's not as though the current balance of heat management options in the game is a fact of nature; if Klei wants it to be possible to handle heat without the bugs and weird tricks, it's well within their power to make that happen.

Which really leaves us with the question of why heat is balanced as it is, and how it might change in the future. I can imagine a few possibilities:

1) The drip cooling bug is, for some reason, incredibly technically costly to fix. Klei doesn't like it but would rather ignore it than deal with it, and is just choosing to keep mum because sometimes that's best for PR purposes.

2) Drip cooling and fixed-temp machines are artifacts of the early-access phase of development. Klei plans to fix/change them and move to a more internally consistent thermodynamic model.
2a) These things are bugs and hacks that Klei has put in as patches but lacks the time/resources/ability to resolve coherently, so are here to stay in some form.

3) Drip-cooling, fixed-temp machines, etc. are intentional mechanics. Klei has balanced the game around them and intends for players to use them liberally. For whatever reason, they don't want to make a clear statement to this effect.

As a software developer, and having played computer games for 25 years, I could easily believe any of those.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Supraluminal said:

As a software developer, and having played computer games for 25 years, I could easily believe any of those.

sometimes I miss the computer games of the 90s. True pioneers of the modern gaming community 

Playing with the new systems. Given that hatches can just be picked up (via wrangling) I find it odd that we have to use advanced research to be able to move them somewhere.

having the dropoff station be starting tech(or bundled with basic farming) would make early game hatch management less of a chore make it so the wrangling skill is relevant from the get go

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

sometimes I miss the computer games of the 90s. True pioneers of the modern gaming community 

I most fondly look back on 80s games as true pioneers. Spent so many hours on Elite when that came out to the C64. Same with Pirates!

12 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I most fondly look back on 80s games as true pioneers. Spent so many hours on Elite when that came out to the C64. Same with Pirates!

unfortunately I was born in the 80s so I was too young to play or remember any games that came out then

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Spent so many hours on Elite when that came out to the C64. Same with Pirates!

I spent endless hours play the Bard's Tale I, II and III on C64. The good old days.

Made a video guide if anyone is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLwYj_99NI

I'm still not sure what analysis of geysers does unless it is supposed to review the info panel. Anyone know?

• Like 1

I like your update. Random resource geysers create a scenario where the colony tech is adapted to what resources are available. This will likely promote replayability It's very game changing. I hope it inspires some great colonies.

10 minutes ago, GrindThisGame said:

I'm still not sure what analysis of geysers does unless it is supposed to review the info panel. Anyone know?

I think the stats are now randomized so analysis tells us what they are, I could be wrong

19 minutes ago, ciasteq said:

Not sure if I got lucky, but Gold volcano is right next to AETN lol.. Also got few oil ones, but couldn't find Magma geyser :/ It's supposed to be in Oil/Magma biome, right?

I found a magma volcano in the upper right side of the map in an ice biome.  I don't think biome type determine what type of fumarole/geyser/volcano you'll find

I also found weird glitch... When I got into this world for the first time(using 1st save file), it was gold volcano, but when I loaded game again it became Magma one... With 2nd load it became gold again, but liquid CO2 became copper one hahaha. What's going on? I thought map and every object on it are generated even before choosing Dupes. Steam etc. aren't affected I guess so it's only entombed geysers 'feature'?

Anyone else having issues with Sweeping?  The dups won't prioritize sweeping over regular picking up stuff.  Sweep is supply ?  I tried setting it to highest priority and didn't change the order they were picking things up and delivering to the storage.  Just weren't performing the sweep.  I am unable to set the sweep to higher priority with the priority change tool either.

-S

Edited by SixbySix

3 minutes ago, SixbySix said:

Anyone else having issues with Sweeping?  The dups won't prioritize sweeping over regular picking up stuff.  Is sweeping tidy or supply?  I tried setting tidy to higher priority and didn't do anything.

Yes.  I'm having this trouble too.  If I change the storage to sweep only, it works properly though. 

2 hours ago, Supraluminal said:

1) The drip cooling bug is, for some reason, incredibly technically costly to fix. Klei doesn't like it but would rather ignore it than deal with it, and is just choosing to keep mum because sometimes that's best for PR purposes.

2) Drip cooling and fixed-temp machines are artifacts of the early-access phase of development. Klei plans to fix/change them and move to a more internally consistent thermodynamic model.
2a) These things are bugs and hacks that Klei has put in as patches but lacks the time/resources/ability to resolve coherently, so are here to stay in some form.

3) Drip-cooling, fixed-temp machines, etc. are intentional mechanics. Klei has balanced the game around them and intends for players to use them liberally. For whatever reason, they don't want to make a clear statement to this effect.

4) Bug is known but wont-fix because the system that caused it will receive a larger rewrite anyway.

Edited by SchlauFuchs
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SchlauFuchs said:

4) Bug is known but wont-fix because the system that caused it will receive a larger rewrite anyway.

That's pretty much what I meant by #2, yeah. Known issues, intended to be fixed, but maybe not high priority while large features are still being added/changed. Certainly a possibility.