So I'm pretty sure someone's already tried to make a thread like this, but I'd like to create a new space for people to put down their speculation (real speculation, no :DSTpoop: posting here please) as I try so hard to piece together (HA!) some semblance of a timeline of the Don't Starve world and the lore.

I'd like to keep things in a specific kind of format, please put definitives in the main body, and speculation and theories in spoilers. That'd be greatly appreciated. :wilson_nerdy:

From what I know, the canon established in the DS lore is as follows. (Buckle up kids, this is going to be quite the ride):

• Wendy and Abigail are Maxwell's nieces.
  • Charlie and Winona are sisters.
  • Wilson arrived AFTER all the other characters (excluding Winona)
  • Wilson was the only playable character to reign after Maxwell
  • Wilson Arrived in THEIR world sometime in the 1920s
  • Wilson's 'Murican

-----------------------------------------------------------------

• Maxwell's British, lived in Liverpool, England
  • He immigrated to America on July 16th, 1901
  • Sometime after that (presumably 1902), he's living in New York. (The address actually exists, 21 Harold St, New York, NY)
  • Waxwell allegedly died on a train heading to San Francisco in August of 1904, in North Fork, Nevada
  • William is planning to meet with his brother, Jack, who is in Corona, California.
  • It was at this point, that William started using the book for his evil tricks.
  • An unknown amount of time and William Carter is no more, in his place rests The Great Maxwell Maxwell The Great! 
  • Maxwell has caught the attention of THEM, while playing with the dark arts he summoned one of THEM. It looks at him, and then just nope'd outta existence.
  • It is then apparent that THEY have begun to affect him: his nose and chin have become pointier and more angular, and he got lips! His costume has also become darker (Oh god, he's become Edgeswell!)
  • It is also at this time that Maxwell has started putting out ads looking for a female assistant.
  • Maxwell has seemingly stopped his travels in San Fransisco
  • Charlie now joins the battle!
  • Aiding Maxwell for several shows, until one day when he just disappears, and she goes looking for him
  • Charlie enters Maxwell's apartment, looking around the place, completely unaware that there's a black, translucent goop hanging over her.
  • Charlie then finds Maxwell's secret passageway, and the main painting suddenly comes to life, worried.
  • Hands start to reach out to Charlie, and Paintwell is panicked, slamming his hands against the fourth wall
  • Paintwell briefly goes super sayian, causing the hands to disintegrate.
  • Charlie runs out of the apartment, with Maxwell's costume, leaving behind her hat, and Paintwell is nowhere to be seen.
  • Maxwell eventually returns, finds out Charlie has found out his secret, and Paintwell has been replaced by Willpaint Carter
  • Sometime later, in April of 1906, Maxwell and Charlie's final act was held, in which everything went horribly wrong, and they got sucked into THEIR world.

So ALL of this happened within the course of 5 years. Wow.

And so after being trapped on the throne for about 14-23 years. (Even though he complains about it being an eternity), he sucks in Wilson P. Higgsbury, the Gentlemanly Scientist.

And after Wilson dying approximately one million times (give or take a few), he finally manages to free Maxwell, and is on the throne for about two minutes before Charlie arrives, she's like "Oh hai there. I can free you, you want in?"

And we all know what happens next.

Spoiler

I'm going to warn you guys in advance, my speculation isn't going to be neat, tidy, and organized. In fact, it'll be more like Shank; a bloody mess. :wilson_facepalm:

So take that as a disclaimer and proceed with caution!

Now, with that outta the way! *Cracks Knuckles* Time for some speculation.

I'd like to think that when Wilson took the nightmare throne, it released all the other characters. But when they build the Jury Rigged Portal, they plucked the characters out of their world, and put them right back into this mess. 

I mean, just look at Wes here.

Final.thumb.png.26768ab77f56614cc4ef5bc5f5cb3002.png

He's like:

OhNotThisShtAgain.png.69fcdd75a293c5ed9c49d93aec148a77.png Oh, not this :DSTpoop: again!

When Wendy examines the Applied Horticulture, she says:

"Imagine, a rolling field of red flowers..." Searched Google for "rolling field of red flowers", and got a bunch of images of Poppy fields. Upon further examination I got a specific location: Royston, Hertfordshire UK, which is a town in England. So far things are matching up.

When Wickerbottom examines the book, Birds of the World, she says: "The expurgated version, but it has my favorite: Megascops kennicottii." The megascops kennicottii, otherwise known as the western screech owl, is found in north and central america.

Western-screech-owl.jpg

(...Kinda looks like her.)

Expurgated also means watered-down, so it's a dumbed down version of the original book. Woodie also says he "already knows aboot those things.", which could be either another hint of his hatred towards birds, or the fact that he's already read the book (probably ate it afterwards too. :3). So that either means Wickerbottom's Canadian, or just imported the book like a chump.

Also, don't believe me when I said Paintswell briefly went super sayian? Look at this and tell me he doesn't look like he's going super sayian!! 

William_Carter_Puzzle_8-7_Secret.thumb.jpg.ad909a0922a551c0f9d85389e99cbb02.jpg

24 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:
  • Wilson was the only playable character to reign after Maxwell

On stream it was said that none came before Maxwell on the throne, but a lot came after. Currently we know that Wilson & Charlie follow, but I dunno if I would consider that as a lot. Which is a confusing statement for a lot of reasons.

Thing is, if I'm not mistaken, the vod for that stream is gone. So I dunno if it expired, was deleted, or what.

36 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

"Imagine, a rolling field of red flowers..." Searched Google for "rolling field of red flowers", and got a bunch of images of Poppy fields. Upon further examination I got a specific location: Royston, Hertfordshire UK, which is a town in England. So far things are matching up.

This is nothing substantial, you're grabbing at straws. Flowers! Oh jeez, there are flowers in England, theory confirmed!!

42 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

On stream it was said that none came before Maxwell on the throne, but a lot came after.

Potential for infinite ds sequels where it is a different person on the throne with different themes. For instance a hiker becoming king, mountains and whatnot world would appear, cowboy becomes king, it is a wild west world now. And so on, think the Assassins Creed games, where they just make a different time period and place for a different game.

10 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

When Wickerbottom examines the book, Birds of the World, she says: "The expurgated version, but it has my favorite: Megascops kennicottii." The megascops kennicottii, otherwise known as the western screech owl, is found in north and central america.

I thought this was a reference to the Screecher mod they did. I guess it does make sense, but I find it a bit of a stretch.

Also, you're missing the supposed Voxola (That radio that Wilson has in that video) and how Maxwell would've known about it.

Spoiler

My guess would be that when William found Charlie and got decently close with her, Charlie introduced Winona to him, and with that Wagstaff. Wagstaff owned a factory that produced radio's, or as we know them, Voxola's. Winona worked at that factory.

Although likely disregarded as William, maybe throned Maxwell saw potential in those Voxola's as a means to pluck people into THEIR world. But he needed those Voxola's first, so he somehow caused an explosion in the factory where Wagstaff ( owner) and Winona were working at the time, and nabbed the Voxola's and Wagstaff, cuz' why not. Wilson must've then got his hands on one of those Voxola's. Maxwell probably knew that, and strook when our scientist was susceptible.

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

I tried making a timeline thread on the shipwrecked side of the forum but didn't get much of a reply. Maybe we''ll get more of focus here?

Maybe no one there has bothered to come up with a back story for it yet? In which case, you seem as qualified as anyone to cook something up!

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Maybe no one there has bothered to come up with a back story for it yet? In which case, you seem as qualified as anyone to cook something up!

I'd prefer the actual devs to fill in the gaps since they release the updates and any official idea from themTHEM leads to more headcanons and memes from the fandom. Though I appreciate you suggesting the former. :wilson_blush:

15 hours ago, Toast1070 said:

This is nothing substantial, you're grabbing at straws. Flowers! Oh jeez, there are flowers in England, theory confirmed!!

I'm just putting stuff out there. If you're not going to contribute to the conversation, leave.

It just clogs up the thread and more often than not results in derailment. You're not helping anybody by doing what you're doing, and this isn't the first time you've done this either. Don't make the mods give you warnings, or lock my thread. 

If you want to submit your own theories, go right ahead, I just made this thread to spark discussion. But if you're just going to criticize without adding anything to the discussion you can go somewhere else.

Don't become The Neo Curator, nobody likes that guy. :wilson_laugh:

Spoiler

I think that shipwrecked takes place in an alternate timeline.

Let's say what if Wilson didn't save Maxwell but instead built a boat off the island. I know this is a stretch but if you look at the shipwrecked launch trailer, you can see that maxwell is still in control because the ash from the volcano looks like Maxwell's face

IMG_1953.thumb.PNG.c83b90912a108738fb40b74331acd3f7.PNG

Maxwell must have destroyed Wilson's boat and made him crash into an island, starting shipwrecked.

IMG_1955.thumb.PNG.602d8036d073d2229048cdd3969cace6.PNG

(before you ask i did start to make this image from the scene in Back to the Future but then I read no IMG_1956.PNG.ff5235256a8935270fd2df87e4a271bd.PNGposts)

I know you could probably find hundreds of ways to disprove my theory but to me this just seems the most possible.

My messy theory for how shipwrecked takes place in Don't Starve's world

8 minutes ago, Maslak said:

Come on, where is this confirmed?

In some archival examination strings. 

When Wendy examines the NPC of Maxwell, she says "I feel a strange kinship with him.", and when Maxwell examines Abigail's flower, he says “Hm? What a familiar presence.”

That combined with the fact that Jack Carter has twins, I mean it's just too coincidental for it NOT to be true.

Edit: @Maslak, you're confused? Good. Welcome to Don't Starve's lore. With about as much unanswered questions as a FNAF game. :wilson_ecstatic:

Just now, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

I like to think that at first, the world was the basic DS experience, then it later became the Reign of Giants one, which is when Wigfrid and Webber entered. But I have nothing to base that off of.

In Webber's case, he was either there before the merge, or after, it could go either way really.

Because either way he gets consumed by a spider and then forms a symbiotic relationship once you bury his skull and resurrect him. (Wilson, the Necromancer!)

2 hours ago, Silvercide said:

Let's say what if Wilson didn't save Maxwell but instead built a boat off the island. I know this is a stretch but if you look at the shipwrecked launch trailer, you can see that maxwell is still in control because the ash from the volcano looks like Maxwell's face

IMG_1953.thumb.PNG.c83b90912a108738fb40b74331acd3f7.PNG

I'd love a alternate timeline where MAxwell was trapped inside a volcano. He'd be sweating so much.:wilson_ecstatic:

Wolfgang is strong, you know what else is strong? Deerclops. This confirms that Wolfgang is the offspring of Deerclops. Do you know who else has offspring? The MacTusk. Wolfgang has a MacTusk skin for the Hallowed Nights event... this concrete evidence proves that Deerclops is Wolfgang's biological father, and that he had an affair with a MacTusk. So, where does this fit in the timeline? I looked up "timeline" and I found a timeline regarding Ancient Egypt. This means that Wolfgang built the Pyramids of Giza, putting him at the very beginning of the Don't Starve timeline. He is the eldest of the cast, and he most likely has been in the throne before because of his old age. Additionally, he probably comes from England because he is voiced by a tuba and there are tubas in England.

5 hours ago, Toast1070 said:

Wolfgang is strong, you know what else is strong? Deerclops. This confirms that Wolfgang is the offspring of Deerclops. Do you know who else has offspring? The MacTusk. Wolfgang has a MacTusk skin for the Hallowed Nights event... this concrete evidence proves that Deerclops is Wolfgang's biological father, and that he had an affair with a MacTusk. So, where does this fit in the timeline? I looked up "timeline" and I found a timeline regarding Ancient Egypt. This means that Wolfgang built the Pyramids of Giza, putting him at the very beginning of the Don't Starve timeline. He is the eldest of the cast, and he most likely has been in the throne before because of his old age. Additionally, he probably comes from England because he is voiced by a tuba and there are tubas in England.

You really aren't fond of constructive criticism, are you? They're just trying to put things together, even if it can be far-fetched at times. But we do know Klei is a Canadian company, that uses a lot of Canadian life for its work. And Maxwell is British, so it's not too much of a stretch to say other characters would originate from these areas.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:52 PM, Toast1070 said:

I'm going to say this only one more time, if you keep making posts like this and derailing the topic along with flaming, I'll have no choice but to summon a mod to sort this out. You are actively going against Klei's forum rules. @ImDaMisterL can attest to that, can't you?

A couple things - First, stay constructive and on topic please. 

Second, if you are going to post things on the internet, please be prepared for people to disagree with you. If they are not being polite and constructive, please ignore them and report them if you feel it is against the rules. 

Please do not tag moderators as a threat to other posters. 

And let's cool it on the passive aggressive posting, it's gross and escalates things into arguments that don't need to happen. 

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Dorozco said:

I have some sort of a weird thought about the Forge...

You know how in Winona's backstory her factory got destroyed due to a fire, right?
What if the Forge takes place in a hellish version of the ruins from the factory?

Good theory, maybe the events could tie in to the lore of the characters. Hopefully they will, as it would be great to learn more about characters like Wolfgang or WX-78.

Archived