Don't Starve Roadmap

I have one question: Will there be DLCs for stories of other characters? I guess many players would want to know where Wx-78 came from, or if Willow is related to Wilson. That kinda stuff.

Yes i would love to have something like this where we can spend our hard earned experince points for sort of DLC or extra characters or like a in-game shop you can find that lets you do said thing or how about if the complete story mode with a character you get a video of how they came here and there past life before the events of don't starve and possibly a bio!

Watching the learning process has got to be the most amazing thing about games. This game is perfect for it, because while watching it you are saying "no, you don't have to dig up saplings for twigs" Then later you hear him echo that same thought as he learns how the game works.What i think is so fascinating about sips_ playthrough is how he vocalizes every thought and reason. It's an insight into a brand new player's mind and thought processes.

Maybe it's the wine that I just quaft or the fact that it's late here in Sweden or that I'm over reacting, but I felt I better write down how my initial raw feelings is towards this announcement was before thinking it over.

I think we both can see where you may have gone wrong here :abnormal:

Regarding the sticky, I like this news and think things are going well. Except hounds. :)

Everyone should check this out. One of my favourite Youtubers going into Don't Starve completely blind with the latest update. It's cool to see what he notices and picks up on a very first playthrough!

hes my fav youtuber too! *high five*but i had such a fun time watching that video. it was hilarious seeing hime figure stuff out :D

Still not loving how underpowered the spear is since the winter update.However, I am here to shower Klei with praise for one of the best experiences I have had with games and the online community of that game in... well, ever.This site and the game have gone hand in hand throughout development of the game, and allowing us, the customer, to be pretty much the engineers of where the game went, what was kept, what was discarded and what new things we wanted to see, was more than any other developer has done in any other game I own.Klei, you should be held up in front of every AAA developer and publisher in the business as a way to keep customers happy AND release a solid product.The game is fun, large, cheap, intelligent and hilarious, and I have experienced less bugs with 150 hours of this in beta than I have in 1 hour of ANY modern AAA title. That is how good you guys are, and you should be proud of that as well as how friendly and close you have been with this community.I don't want this message to sound like a goodbye, but maybe as the end of one chapter and start of another for this game.Can't wait to see what comes post-release, and thanks again for all the amazing work so far, you guys RULE!!!Oh, and remember... just DON'T STARVE, ok

Still not loving how underpowered the spear is since the winter update.However, I am here to shower Klei with praise for one of the best experiences I have had with games and the online community of that game in... well, ever.This site and the game have gone hand in hand throughout development of the game, and allowing us, the customer, to be pretty much the engineers of where the game went, what was kept, what was discarded and what new things we wanted to see, was more than any other developer has done in any other game I own.Klei, you should be held up in front of every AAA developer and publisher in the business as a way to keep customers happy AND release a solid product.The game is fun, large, cheap, intelligent and hilarious, and I have experienced less bugs with 150 hours of this in beta than I have in 1 hour of ANY modern AAA title. That is how good you guys are, and you should be proud of that as well as how friendly and close you have been with this community.I don't want this message to sound like a goodbye, but maybe as the end of one chapter and start of another for this game.Can't wait to see what comes post-release, and thanks again for all the amazing work so far, you guys RULE!!!Oh, and remember... just DON'T STARVE, ok

Couldn't agree more! Much <3 Klei! :)

Well , After returning to these forums (had trouble with my PC etc.) I think that the games direction is great , Its awesome seeing how this game will grow , but I have some arousing questions :-Like many others asked on this thread : will you upload short animated videos or biographies written by the characters in game to find out about how all of the characters got here?-Do you have a general idea on when all of the characters will be released? It would be cool to get around 2-3 characters every character updateThat is all :)Thanks for making this wonderful game (even though I've not played sinse winter release because I wanted to take a break)

I think we both can see where you may have gone wrong here :abnormal:Regarding the sticky, I like this news and think things are going well. Except hounds. :)

I disagree, I still think I did the right thing to post my un-revised feelings, they are true and none-compromised, it summarizes exactly how I felt, which is important, anything else would just not do that, it would come close but not accurate.Edit:Most time I would think before writing ( I almost do that every time ) but sometimes it just will not do, it's highly situational.

Sup. I know i'm beating the deadest horse in the known universe and most of the fifth dimension, however... (dare i say it) Multiplayer. Thats it, thats all i'm going to say, but... yea.Don't be too turned off, the M word isn't what i'm actually posting about. I just wanted to say I really liked your 'custom sandbox.' Have you ever tried setting everything to 'lots' and seeing how long you could survive? Tallbirds kill me in like, a day or two, its super fun. Anyway before you finish out though, you really need to open up the options within sandbox to include 'world mechanics.' I'm talking spoil and meat effigy specifically, (I would get rid of sanity as well, but you made it such an integrated part of the system...) but who knows, a god mode would be pretty cool, or a map creator. Those are the things that generate long term interest in a game.

Oops I brake the M word rule up ahead, so stop reading if your going to be a stickler. Its one of my dreams for this game (other than multiplayer co-op) is to have a team fight function, Survivors vs. Savages. You know how pigs are oddly similar to those fish things that live in abandoned houses? Well in this case it would be the normal characters to these weird grass monsters, all war painted up. I'm talking up to 5v5 team fight battle royal with each of the different unlockable characters (yes I know there's 7 characters) vs. with their bushman counterparts, the team to kill all the opponents, (or score the most kills within 30 minutes) is the winner. Each player starts off fairly well supplied, with enough grass, twigs, flint, logs, and jerky to last them a few days, (as well as having spears and log armor unlocked). Oh and did i mention: Traps are invisible to the enemy team??? I think i just did. Be sure to watch where you step.

That or the game mode: 'Most Dangerous Wilson.' This is a three player game, lasting about 20 minutes, where one character takes control of Wilson (with all items researched). Wilson then has 1 day before the Hunters (2) spawn. Hunters spawn with 2 hounds under their control (short ranged, can't move very far away from their masters) and 2 spears, 1 net (short range imobalizing trap, can be set or used at melee range), 2 torches, 1 log armor, and a full stack of grass & wood. Hounds will be able to sniff out Wilson's trail; Anywhere Wilson walked in the 24 hour period will be visible via footprints on the hunters (provided they have a hound still alive) screen. If Wilson lasts 5 days without being killed he wins. If the hunters find and kill Wilson, they win. Hunters have a slightly faster movement speed than Wilson.

Yep! For at least 6 months. Then we'll see after that.

I know you've already said you're keeping the post-release vague because it's not fleshed out, but can we assume that post-release content will be coming less frequently? I have to admit, I keep coming back to the game because it changes so often. That's not to say I'd be bored without it, but by this point I've come to expect it. And I'm afraid that the game will feel to stagnant for me if the content slows or stops. I really hope this doesn't happen though. Maybe make some huge goal that gets tough for late games to keep me coming back? First winter is always the hardest, but as the game length goes on it just gets a lot easier. If I can make it to day 40-something, I can keep going almost indefinitely until I make some dumb mistake.Oh darn. I just realized that what I've suggested comes down to the whole difficulty debate that has persisted from the beginning. I think the difficulty sliders have fixed some of the problems, but it really just means that I'm set by day 70 instead of 40. I really just want some challenge element that keeps me coming back trying to get even one day further than my best. But this currently doesn't really exist. When I got to day 100 for the first time, I knew I could easily make it to day 200 if I wanted to, but I had no drive to go that far.

Yes i would love to have something like this where we can spend our hard earned experince points for sort of DLC or extra characters or like a in-game shop you can find that lets you do said thing or how about if the complete story mode with a character you get a video of how they came here and there past life before the events of don't starve and possibly a bio!

Oh,no!One of the things that I liked originallywas that there was no DLC.You paid for the game and that was it.I suggest,instead,they put in that after Adventure Mode.

Lots of opinions scattered around this topic,The fun in this game is great, beta is new for me. In Story mode i would like to have less items in the 1st couple worlds untill u get further. and be able to normally save your game.As tuning continues, u can tweak newer worlds, and once in a while add new items or monsters.As for multiplayer. i can imagine this is not doable for many reasons. But if some big sponsor would help, this platform suits great.Having the feeling not to survive alone. And be able to set player kill mode on ofcourse. and off for the nice guys.Mustfix is Save GAMES! i've lost HOURS of playtime because STEAM is deleting or changing files so the game does not recognize the previous game i've saved. This really bothers me and made me quit for a week. Implement the savegames within the game. It's obvious u don't want it to be a saving game because u can't load your save back again when u die. This is absolutely fun unless Steam is deleting the save games.. I rather see these bugs fixed than new content so i could get to the latest items. 50 hours playtime can be insane in a normal life. So unless it becomes multiplayer and you just die, its more fun than playing single player. Anyways , waiting for the next release and will spend a lot of hours.Thats all for me to say.Cheerss

If i could give out a random award to whomever i choose,for reasons i made up. Klei Entertainment would get it for sure. **** EA,and all those big name developers who release poor console ports,and games with terrible endings.

so your saying, when we build our little walls/barriers. . . THERE GONNA BE BROKEN DOWN?! i love getting a little camp started. and little farms. what keeps me playing is the "creepyness" and "new creatures" for example, at night, and that little hand peaks out, and takes my light/campfire :// i get shivers. i really love creatures like chester.and making pig armies. i wish that they would stay longer, and not turn into werepigs, and break my house down ://there should be an option. for example, if the pigs "do" have homes they wont turn into were pigs. i want a loyal piggy... ://so yes, the games difficult level is pretty high. but, ive never encountered any other resources, besides grass, rocks,wood,sticks, ect. because i cannot find them... i played this game over 12 hours straight... yes its addicting...

After reading the first post in this thread, I feel compelled to try and give some player feedback, aimed at Klei, but shared public for people to agree/disagree. I don't think anyone should care about my feedback on it's own, cause I'm just one player, but it looks like this thread is filled with people who have been playing this game as it developed, so I wanted to provide some feedback from somebody who came to the game fresh.

So I recently got Don't Starve on steam, after seeing the trailer video and getting totally hooked by how appealing it seemed. I liked mark of the ninja and eets, so expected it to be a very cool game, which it totally is. I like rogue-like permadeath games, the danger of it is fun and exciting, and it makes luck and discovery so much powerful.

However, after playing it for like 3-5 hours almost every night for about two weeks, after pouring through the wikia wiki like 10 days in for tips and giving it a few more days trying to use what I learned, I rage-uninstalled the game. When my friends ask me about it and if they should try it out, I tell them I hated it and don't bother. I know it's Beta, and I'm certainly hoping it will change in a way I can appreciate all the awesomeness in it, but I honestly can't help but regret I even tried it and feel like I wasted my time at this point.

The basic problem is this:

We’re currently working on what I’ll call the mid-game. This is when you have a foothold established in the world, and you are going about the business of surviving and exploring. RIght now people are surviving a little too well, so we’re focusing on adding threats (like the hounds) that act as a push-back to your expansion. We’re also re-evaluating the farming/planting/etc systems to make it so that you can’t steamroll your way to success.

I don't know what the "mid-game" is really, and I doubt I actually made it there (each night's playsession ended in death, never saw winter), but the random push-backs are a bit ridiculous overpowered for somebody who wants to learn and enjoy the game. I know I could play sandbox, but I just have zero interest in that. It's not the difficulty that I have a problem with really, it's that the majority of the ways I'd die felt completely unfair. I loved slowly starving and having to search for key ingredients and struggling with setbacks. But to have the game constantly take every situation where I'm just starting to get things together so that I'm not slowly dying and ramp the difficulty up in a moment to where I'm struggling to not die this very moment is just cruel game design for new players.

Combat in particular is lame and feels horrible. The hounds are not good for the game. They don't give up. I can't take them on in a pack. Unlike the tree or krampus, I don't feel like I have any influence or control over them. Mining spiders is fun, but dealing at all with a level 2 spider nest with spider warriors is not, and every nest eventually becomes a level 2. I love the idea of finding and avoiding a level 2 until I can take it on, but having the one nest in range become level 2 as I'm struggling to get enough webs to do anything just sucks. I like the danger trade off of frogs being around ponds so that you have a great food source next to something dangerous, but the insta-spawn of frogs combined with their high damage means you often get a huge hit with no warning to avoid it. The fact that you have to keep creeping farther and farther out from your home base and into danger to get enough resources (like gold) to survive is great, and well balanced. But when you run into stuff like those birds that will mostly ignore you than suddenly decide you must die when you aren't near their eggs just sucks.

I'm sure the game is well balanced for the people who have been beating your beta and want a new challenge - but I believe the curve is damaging your new player acquisition.

You put a few traps in the spider nest and kite them until all have been catched and the nest is alone, free meat, silk and the item for healing salve and your hp is untouched, you can destroy the nest if it's far form your base or leave it alone if it's close to keep farming once spiders have spawned.For the hounds prepare a few meats and throw them to the ground 1 by 1 when you start hearing the hounds, when they come they will start eating and you have plenty of time to kill them, you may receive a few hits but with log vest and a helmet + spear should be done very soon.I think you just rage quit like the people who do the same with Dark Souls when they are noob and die all the time, even if it's an awesome game, and by the way in Don't Starve you have a few ways to revive.