Don't Starve Roadmap

So in one of the Klei devs own words, I would like to see one of you say exactly what kind of game Don't starve is supposed to be, we know what the website says. But I want you to say it, it would clear up at least half of the arguments people have on the forum.

I'd assume its sandbox on default settings.

I've been playing Don't Starve for a few months now and have seen it grow from what my friends called a "Tim Burton's Terraria" to a vastly amazing game with potential so great that it literally shakes the foundation of what I thought made a game great. I am so excited for what a completed Adventure Mode could bring to the game.

The post launch stuff has not been set in stone just yet. All of our focus is on wrapping up the game and completing the roadmap. I am sure we will be ready to hammer that stuff out and present that info out to everybody around then.

The post launch stuff has not been set in stone just yet. All of our focus is on wrapping up the game and completing the roadmap. I am sure we will be ready to hammer that stuff out and present that info out to everybody around then.

I have to agree with Joe finishing the game should be top priority.

As we approach the end of the road(map), I want to interject with a couple of things that I feel need tweakin' before the actual launch of the game. (PS: An early congratulations to Klei on a job well done. The game's fudging great!) PPS: This will be a loooong read. Hold on to your butts.

Wolfgang, Wickerbottom, and Experience Points

I think we can all agree Wolfgang is practically Don't Starve's "easy mode". Though, unlike Wes, who is specifically billed as "hard mode", Wolfgang's place in the character roster remains a bit befuddling. He is unlocked third, with 33 day's worth of experience, yet has the highest health, hunger-meter, and damage done in the game. Why is he unlocked before the next three? Directly after Wolfy we have WX-78, whom isn't quite as overpowered as Wolfgang, but most definitely a good character- he has the ability to nullify one of the game's features (food spoilage), and after the Automaton we have Wickerbottom, who's perk is decent, at best. She doesn't have to build two research stations- well, so what? Most players have an Alchemy Engine up by day 6 anyway. Her perk is barely useful.

What I'm trying to say here is that the order the characters are unlocked is rather short-sighted. The obvious solution, of course, is to simply re-order the characters. I feel I have a better solution, however- how about, instead of leveling up, we give each character a set of requirements (appropriate to the character) to unlock that specific character? For example, we could give Wes the prerequisite of dying three times, and Wickerbottom the prereq. of crafting several high-tier items. You get the idea.

Varied Dialogue for our Characters

I feel the different characters don't have enough dialogue. This is more of a nitpick, and a personal peeve, but every time you examine something, your selected character says the exact same thing, every single time. I feel these characters all have potential for interesting backstories (particularly Wilson), but the fact that Wilson asks the same rabbit if he likes science every time ruins my suspension of disbelief a bit.

What I'm saying is, I'd appreciate a bit more dialogue for the characters. (Though the limited amount of responses from WX-78 is slightly justified, as he is an Automaton. Or a delusional man in a robot-suit, whatever Kevin feels like.)

The Name of that Gosh-Damn Spider at the Main Menu

Srsly, he crawls all over your buttons. Surely Klei has a name for him/her? Come on, don't leave us in the dark here.

That last item is just filler. Have to fulfill the Rule of Three, ya know.

ALRIGHT THAT'S IT THAT'S ALL GOOD NIGHT EVERYBODY. And thank you for reading all of it, if you did. I await feedback.

:kiwi:

[MENTION=2]Bigfoot[/MENTION]

Happy to hear you might be unlocking most of the custom sandbox options from the start, this should make the new and casual players happy and keep me from being a rude prick to them when they cry. :boxing:

In all seriousness the game is meant to be challenging and I just don't want the core game to change into something that isn't, so custom sandbox is the perfect solution without having to add the dreaded difficulty sliders.

You may have just found the solution to making everyone happy, time will tell, but if you have, you deserve a cookie for accomplishing the impossible. :applause:

/starts baking cookies

[MENTION=4538]Moonkis[/MENTION] -- interesting. My feeling is this: that players will eventually graduate from sandbox into adventure. To be clear, adventure mode is not a "side" thing. We're heavily invested in making it the story mode on Wilson's grand adventure, and fully realizing that path. But what I meant by core, and perhaps core is the wrong word, is that players will be placed in sandbox in the beginning of their adventure, and it's where they will cut their teeth on the game and learn how all the systems work. Once players are ready, they can take on Maxwell.So I guess my point is: story mode has not changed! I will continue to think about how best to convey our modes to make sure it makes sense to players.

Well, there once was a research system. It was taken out. It was kind of fun to feed the science machine. Why not connect the Sandbox mode to the Adventure mode by actions the player carries out in Sandbox mode?One of the things I miss about Don't Starve is the lack of Reason to explore the world. Introducing treasures like you did with this update made it fun to go around exploring and run into an abandoned farm. Yay me! Free shovel and fields to plant.But nothing I do here will affect my interest or options for Adventure mode. How if I fed the Science Machine I would unlock something that led towards Adventure mode? It could be the Adventure mode itselfIt could be revelations of a map piece that contained an gizmo needed to start in Adventure modeIt could be that completing tasks in Sandbox mode such as getting a Koalephant Trunk, Spider Queen's Head and and MacTusk hat would be trigger that had Maxwell drop a hint about how to start Adventure mode. Or just allow you to start it.Sandbox games have this annoying thing built in to them: They have no purpose. Sandboxes are for toddlers, Real men play Games with goals (I know it isn't true but Sandbox just makes me think nondirected fun) It is just semantics, really, but tie the Sandbox into the Adventure mode as a Prologue really. Once you can master MacTusk, FireHounds, find a Koalephant and down a Spider Queen you're ready to go!

[MENTION=9331]Addle[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6062]MycoLogical[/MENTION], I think Wickerbotton portable science machine is a hell of boost in the early days. The spear and logsuit from day one without a base, also the shovel to give an additional log from every tree. I played her a couple times and not having to hunt that first gold nugget and being abble to build first tier prototypes anywhere makes her the perfect cartographer. So, if she is to be improved further, I would suggest increasing the radius of her map fog eraser. [MENTION=2]Bigfoot[/MENTION], thank you and your team for making this hell I can turn into paradise.PS: Also thanks for trying to kill me on my sleep with the bedroll change, you almost made it. Keep trying, better luck next time =)

While you're finishing the game, perhaps you could check up on the spelling on the characters' quotes when you examine certain objects. For example, Wilson's quote for examinating an Evergreen is "It's all Piney.". I don't know if the capital P is intended (might be a pun, which I haven't figured out), but it looks better when their quotes are spelled correctly. :encouragement:Don't blame me if I have made some spelling mistakes, English isn't my native language, but it was just a small notice that I wanted to bring up.

I do love Wickerbottom. :D

...I'm always risking my life to,get some: it is, IMO, the most valuable commodity in the game.

But that's the whole point... taking risks and making sacrifices to survive... BUT I am hoping they are adding these "treasure chests" Kevin talked about soon! Any words on them? It would be awesome to find random items in these chests and if you are really lucky like a dark-sword or something .. or just a bunch of wood :-P

• Developer

Maybe a bit early to ask, but how will the content flow go after release? Will it go the same as the content patches have been released up to now?

This we're not sure yet. Right now our rate of content is kind of crazy, and we *know* that sometimes things get in not fully balanced, but that's the nature of in-progress game development. We've got to get it in there and try it out.Post-launch I think we'll need to be more judicious. I have some ideas, but I want to run them by the team before I mention them :)

This we're not sure yet. Right now our rate of content is kind of crazy, and we *know* that sometimes things get in not fully balanced, but that's the nature of in-progress game development. We've got to get it in there and try it out.Post-launch I think we'll need to be more judicious. I have some ideas, but I want to run them by the team before I mention them :)

I suppose that there will be different expectations once the game has gone retail regarding new content. I do love the format of it now though, have a teaser and hints, post a video and ship the patch with a lovely poster to boot, it makes every patch exciting. I understand that you can not say anything until it is all set in stone with the team, but let me ask you a theoretical question (I can always try), how would you like the game to be six months from now if it was an ideal situation regarding time and resources?