[Game Update] - 576123

• Developer

Changes

• After defeating all mutations once and receiving your first Spark Ark, you will be rewarded with an additional Spark Ark for each additional mutation defeated thereafter.  However, it’s still necessary to cycle between mutations, meaning you can't just defeat one of them repeatedly to get multiple Spark Arks.
  • Spark Ark now drops when its crafting recipes are deconstructed. It drops empty when the Ice Crystaleyezer is hammered down.
  • Glommer is now lunar aligned.
  • Unknown Scrapbook dependencies are now shown as question marks.
  • Gestalts that have targeted corpses essentially decrease the amount of Brightshade Gestalts released by the Lunar Rift, thereby speeding up the Rift's closure.
  • Houndius Shootius can now be deconstructed using a Deconstruction Staff.
  • Ground pound damage range should now match the original range, which in most cases was much smaller than the size of the original FX.  The FX has now been adjusted to match the actual damage range.  The workable destruction range has also been adjusted to match the FX where applicable.
  • Added more sounds to the new creatures.
  • Further improvements to Lunar Hail performance.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed Abandoned Junk spawning when the Lunar Rift is disabled, after destroying existing ones.
  • Fixed some timer issues related to Abandoned Junks and Wagstaff’s hints.
  • Fixed some issues with Wendy Roseate and Warly Verdant skins.
  • Fixed Saw Horse and Bookcase playing the wrong animation after being hit.
  • Fixed bug with missing fire animation on Crystal Deerclops’ head spike.

View full update

• Like 56
  • Thanks 3
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 1

4 minutes ago, V2C said:

Houndius Shootius can now be deconstructed using a Deconstruction Staff.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, V2C said:

After defeating all mutations once and receiving your first Spark Ark, you will be rewarded with an additional Spark Ark for each additional mutation defeated thereafter.  However, it’s still necessary to cycle between mutations, meaning you can't just defeat one of them repeatedly to get multiple Spark Arks.

This sounds very promising.

• Like 4

The spark ark changes are lovely, thank you. I do hope that you are considering a rework of the hail mechanic as it is still extremely deadly to mobs such as glommer, friendly fruit fly, and gekkos. I had an entire setpiece of crustashines that got absolutely massacred by the hail. Seems like a mechanic that should either not affect mobs at all, or at least give us a mechanism for preventing hail damage to mobs.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 4

2 minutes ago, Paxtonnnn said:

that one's going to be the most interesting because if they make grass gekko pens no longer a reliable source of grass these forums will go INSANE

If they attack you and have 900hp each, It would be prudent to be able to put them to sleep to harvest grass. Problems need to have solutions. 

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

19 minutes ago, Paxtonnnn said:

that one's going to be the most interesting because if they make grass gekko pens no longer a reliable source of grass these forums will go INSANE

Actually.. they could just make grass renew itself over time like it does in Endless Mode, and then people wouldn’t need to be so reliant on Grass Geckos, AND if Grass renewed itself they could add new animations into the game such as Beefalo actually grazing and chewing Grass.

Either Way, I’m excited to see what Grass Geckos and Koalephant Lunar Mutations are going to look like.

• Like 5

Would there be a slim chance that bearger end up being farmable with the hostile flare ? 

idk locking it to 5-10% on first autumn and scale up to 30-40% beyond second autumn. Still surprised there's no more expanding on this feature , has some potential.

• Like 18

Thanks for all your hard work, the new changes are very exciting. However I am still puzzled by the lack of changes to lunar hail damaging mobs despite the community feedback. In case you missed it, there's a quite heated discussion here on forums. Could you please elaborate on Klei's perspective on this topic? Is there something we are missing here, could there be some deep significance in this destructive new mechanic that the community is not aware of?

I recently watched a video on Don't Starve development history and it seems to me that Klei never adds features to the game without a good reason. Everything that was added at some point was to counter some unwanted player behavior, or to improve game experience, or to solve an issue that affected game's performance. But here I'm struggling to see what issue are you trying to solve by having hail damage and kill small innocent creatures. 

I thought a lot about it and my only plausible explanation is that lunar hail mechanics was likely copied from earthquakes mechanics which also always damaged mobs in the caves. But in the caves it feels that there is a good reason for it: earthquakes can drop both rabbits and moleworms, and there needs to be a regulation mechanism for how many can accumulate over time. Just like moleworms/slurtles/rock lobsters eat minerals to prevent lag from too many entities left on the ground. But the rest of cave creatures are not too endangered by earthquakes - they either have health regen (bunnymen, rock lobsters), either respawn upon ruins reset (slurpers, slpumonkeys, depth worms), either don't come out during earthquakes (slurtles). Now when you just take this mechanic and apply it to the surface world without changing, it doesn't seem to bring anything meaningful to the gameplay experience. It does bring a lot of frustration to players who like variety and liveliness of the Constant, and especially to the ones who go out of their way to populate worlds. Unlike earthquakes, lunar hail does not cause any creatures to fall on the ground, so there is no need to artificially control their population and kill them to reduce lag. So what is the point then? And if it's not about the performance but related to adding new challenges to the game, then how damaging innocent creatures is supposed to challenge players? If anything having their drops appear without player doing anything is the opposite of challenge.

Please explain Klei's stance on the topic so people can finally stop guessing and arguing over it.

• Like 11
  • Big Ups 2

1 hour ago, V2C said:
After defeating all mutations once and receiving your first Spark Ark, you will be rewarded with an additional Spark Ark for each additional mutation defeated thereafter. However, it’s still necessary to cycle between mutations, meaning you can't just defeat one of them repeatedly to get multiple Spark Arks.

Is that means the first year 1 Spark Ark. After that, the second year you could get at most 3+1 Arks? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, V2C said:

Gestalts that have targeted corpses essentially decrease the amount of Brightshade Gestalts released by the Lunar Rift, thereby speeding up the Rift's closure.

Honestly this is a really creative solution to brightshades. I do wonder if multiples of say a lunar varg count to the cap though.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, V2C said:

dayummmm thats heaps good, no longer will a badly placed Houndius just be forever wasted. Now they just need a tiny little buff or upgrade you can apply with pure brilliance/pure horror.

2 hours ago, V2C said:

After defeating all mutations once and receiving your first Spark Ark, you will be rewarded with an additional Spark Ark for each additional mutation defeated thereafter.  However, it’s still necessary to cycle between mutations, meaning you can't just defeat one of them repeatedly to get multiple Spark Arks.

Nice one

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

The spark ark changes are lovely, thank you. I do hope that you are considering a rework of the hail mechanic as it is still extremely deadly to mobs such as glommer, friendly fruit fly, and gekkos. I had an entire setpiece of crustashines that got absolutely massacred by the hail. Seems like a mechanic that should either not affect mobs at all, or at least give us a mechanism for preventing hail damage to mobs.

This needs to be addressed sooner rather than later, I'm on console so hopefully there will be a fix/solution before I play the new update or at the least I'll be able to toggle Hail off completely (I'd much rather have it on to experience it but not if it damages mobs/there's no dependable solution to it doing so) but PC players are having set pieces and decorative mobs in their long term worlds suffer the effect of Hail and undoing their hard work already. Hail really needs to not damage mobs or we need a VIABLE, foolproof and dependable way to stop this from happening (no above average trees and Umbrallas are not anywhere near good enough or dependable) in large areas. 

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

Maybe we’ll be forced to mutate gekkos idk.

Problem is all the ones we already have will likely be dead before we eventually get that option/update =( 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually.. they could just make grass renew itself over time like it does in Endless Mode, and then people wouldn’t need to be so reliant on Grass Geckos, AND if Grass renewed itself they could add new animations into the game such as Beefalo actually grazing and chewing Grass.

Either Way, I’m excited to see what Grass Geckos and Koalephant Lunar Mutations are going to look like.

That isn't why Geckos are better... you can easily just make a huge field of grass instead of using geckos and use the new scythe. It's that Geckos produce an absolute TON of grass (especially with other animals penned in with them to scare them constantly) and are far more efficient and give you way more grass. Grass not being a renewable resource isn't why Geckos are better. Players aren't necessarily "reliant" on grass geckos its just that players a long time ago discovered that you can have much more effective and productive grass farms with geckos than by simply replanting a ton of grass tufts in one area. 

57 minutes ago, Lovens said:

Thanks for all your hard work, the new changes are very exciting. However I am still puzzled by the lack of changes to lunar hail damaging mobs despite the community feedback. In case you missed it, there's a quite heated discussion here on forums. Could you please elaborate on Klei's perspective on this topic? Is there something we are missing here, could there be some deep significance in this destructive new mechanic that the community is not aware of?

I recently watched a video on Don't Starve development history and it seems to me that Klei never adds features to the game without a good reason. Everything that was added at some point was to counter some unwanted player behavior, or to improve game experience, or to solve an issue that affected game's performance. But here I'm struggling to see what issue are you trying to solve by having hail damage and kill small innocent creatures. 

I thought a lot about it and my only plausible explanation is that lunar hail mechanics was likely copied from earthquakes mechanics which also always damaged mobs in the caves. But in the caves it feels that there is a good reason for it: earthquakes can drop both rabbits and moleworms, and there needs to be a regulation mechanism for how many can accumulate over time. Just like moleworms/slurtles/rock lobsters eat minerals to prevent lag from too many entities left on the ground. But the rest of cave creatures are not too endangered by earthquakes - they either have health regen (bunnymen, rock lobsters), either respawn upon ruins reset (slurpers, slpumonkeys, depth worms), either don't come out during earthquakes (slurtles). Now when you just take this mechanic and apply it to the surface world without changing, it doesn't seem to bring anything meaningful to the gameplay experience. It does bring a lot of frustration to players who like variety and liveliness of the Constant, and especially to the ones who go out of their way to populate worlds. Unlike earthquakes, lunar hail does not cause any creatures to fall on the ground, so there is no need to artificially control their population and kill them to reduce lag. So what is the point then? And if it's not about the performance but related to adding new challenges to the game, then how damaging innocent creatures is supposed to challenge players? If anything having their drops appear without player doing anything is the opposite of challenge.

Please explain Klei's stance on the topic so people can finally stop guessing and arguing over it.

Extremely well put, thought out and explained! Far more so than my angry rants on the topic :lol:

Klei please give us clarification on what is going on here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, V2C said:

This is an amazing change I've hoped would happen for so long! Could this change possibility be applied to single player Don't Starve at some point, for other features like a Houndius Shootius never killing other Houndius Shootiuses was added in Single player after DST made that change.

• Like 5