Klei, how long are you going to try to ruin my base? And other suggestions

First there were lunar storms, zapping walls and possibly killing penned critters. Now they mostly spawns over uninhabited areas, making it ok.

Then the new content starts with somewhat uncontrolable portals (ok, you can block its spawners with some shenanigans), destroing any plantlife nearby and flooding your world with these gestalts/ stone boulders. Having a nice row of berry bushes? Too bad, here's a combo of 3 brigthshades occupying it every 5 days till the end of constant. Or boulder just droppes down and uproots everything (if it's underground). You meticulously laid down a border for some area with stone pebbles? Sheesh, must be a pain to set it up again, says tunneling vine (every 5 days, don't forget). Okay, you moved this non hostile cute critters into a pen, just to make the world a little more alive? All hail the hail, these grassgeckos/rabbits/ no-eye-deer / whatever else are out of their suffering, I guess. 

I think you get the idea. All this new content looks interesting and challenging, but I will not activate it until there's a solid solution to these problems. It's like all of this was made with progression-type players in mind. Those who start the world, kill everything and clear all content then abandon the world. Meanwhile best regards to the weirdos who like to stuck for several thousand days in one world to build something. Yeah, that 40 dreadstone per pillar was a nice meme, like can you imagine how much time they are gonna spend farming green gems or killing that werepig for 1/4 of cost of 1 pillar. Oh boy.

Sandbox games should respect the time players invest in their worlds with at least something trivial like not trying actively to destroy/sabotage player-built things. But now it's more like a mockery for trying to do something sound and longevous with more and more stuff that invades your base and you can do absolutely nothing to stop it (unless you find "just turn if off" a solution, which is not). 

Well, saying all that, I like the idea of this new "hardmode". I like the enemy encounters, new bosses, not so much the new loot. You just have to stop implementing things that ruin my base, or at least make it managable. Like have a beacon to attract these gestalts and to not let them infest every plant I've ever planted. And these pillars are just another lightning rod with underground flavor to slap on every 15 squares of land, it was never fun or interesting, just a recourse sink. Look cool though, but tedious. 

And with this new loot, the "dealing with wildfires"-one. Wildfires were never a smart mechanic, I just turn it off. I don't like how it either limits my gameplay to "stay in oasis/ underground" or random stuff gets burned down when you run by. So now you offer me another lightning rod for these wildfires but for a small price of just an in-game year and not using better crafting alternatives. If you want this thing to be viable, just make it so it turns off the posibility of anything smoldering on the whole map, not just in slightly larger then flingomatic radius. And for that it consumes the eye, we don't have much use for it anyway. 

The stone pillar isn't that expensive. As a bonus to using stone pillars, you can also have light bugs and decorated spider dens live in your cave bade without dying to earthquakes. Also no need to worry about new players triggering antlion.

I wouldn't say no to cheaper dreadstone pillar, and more weapons to kill brightshades is cool too. I reccomend playing Woodie or Wurt to easily clear them in the meantime. 

18 minutes ago, Dextops said:

Can’t you counter the new hail with umbralla, canopy trees, and simply unloading the area? Correct me if any of these are wrong.

With the umbrellas you have to turn every single one on, this is assuming you have all of them ready to go up and aren't in need of repairs.

I am not entirely sure if the trees work but you'd need to have a base in a good place near water/redesign your base heavily.

Sure going away can work but I'd rather my pens not die because I stood too long near them, I'd like to have a better solution than just running the second I see hail fall, which will still deal damage to the pens on your way out because I don't think they are immune the second they are out of view.

Damn, its almost like its the whole point of the new arc, new terrors coming your way, destroying structures as they GIVE YOU A WARNING BEFORE ACTIVATING RIFTS. Does NONE of that say 'please consider this bc its a no way back' thing. I know there are supposed to be ways to counteract things but so far, not much has bothered me for about 400 days.

This isnt just some minecraft where it is fine to just sit in 1 single place in the night and everything will just be fine until the morning. 

And, if you are such a cry baby, go to settings and just turn the damn rifts off. 

2 minutes ago, IAmAFurrz said:

Damn, its almost like its the whole point of the new arc, new terrors coming your way, destroying structures as they GIVE YOU A WARNING BEFORE ACTIVATING RIFTS. Does NONE of that say 'please consider this bc its a no way back' thing. I know there are supposed to be ways to counteract things but so far, not much has bothered me for about 400 days.

This isnt just some minecraft where it is fine to just sit in 1 single place in the night and everything will just be fine until the morning. 

And, if you are such a cry baby, go to settings and just turn the damn rifts off. 

Rifts avoid destroying structures I am not sure what you're talking about.

Also "just don't play any new content ever lol" ain't exactly a good solution.

12 minutes ago, IAmAFurrz said:

new terrors coming your way

I don't think lunar hail killing my zoo animals has any resemblance to terrors that can kill me and threaten my survival, it's just annoyance.

17 minutes ago, IAmAFurrz said:

Straight up ad hominem and typical "You Can Turn It Off"

23 minutes ago, CuteC said:

With the umbrellas you have to turn every single one on, this is assuming you have all of them ready to go up and aren't in need of repairs.

That's the whole point! This is endgame content, you should have to have them setup and repaired if you want them to survive some damage. I have to do the same with all my flingos during summer because I don't want to lose the berries/resource instead of just go to the ruins to avoid summer.

4 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

That's the whole point! This is endgame content, you should have to have them setup and repaired if you want them to survive some damage. I have to do the same with all my flingos during summer because I don't want to lose the berries/resource instead of just go to the ruins to avoid summer.

1- What I am saying is that you have to go turn each one individually when hail happens, which will get mobs damaged while it is not turned on.

2- Absolutely no one uses flingos, that's what oasis bases are for, you do not deal with wildfires.

This is the kind of problem that scares me. Ppl are always complaining that DST isn't hard enough but ppl are always wanting new content to be nerfed. If you are not ready to handle all these new factors don't engage the rifts till you are, it's pretty simple. 

2 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

This is the kind of problem that scares me. Ppl are always complaining that DST isn't hard enough but ppl are always wanting new content to be nerfed. If you are not ready to handle all these new factors don't engage the rifts till you are, it's pretty simple. 

People that want the game to be nuclear warfare simulator or nerfed aren't in the same group, also hail is not something that makes the game hard just extremely annoying.

1 minute ago, CuteC said:

1- What I am saying is that you have to go turn each one individually when hail happens, which will get mobs damaged while it is not turned on.

2- Absolutely no one uses flingos, that's what oasis bases are for, you do not deal with wildfires.

You are not understanding me. I don't base in the oasis, for the challenge. The need to setup lots of flingos, fuel them and turn them on early enough to not have my resource wither and loose their resource. Same thing here. If your not ready to remake or setup the solution don't activate it yet and let the rest of us have fun with these new factors

57 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Ok but which do you think is more important

”immersion” or the game actually being fun

Fun is extremely subjective.
My friend loves FPS games but I detest them.
I think Wes, Wolfgang, and Wortox are boring but people find them fun.
Sometimes adversity brings about fun depending on the individual, after all there are definitely some people who have fun being a god and insta killing everything as a reward for beating the game. (See Terraria and the Zenith Blade). Other people have fun with base decoration and creating what they perceive as beauty. Simply allowing options in the world generation can solve it, though at what point do we accommodate others desires for what Klei has envisioned.

Example: I suffer from severe arachnophobia. I go to a doctor's office who has started their Halloween decorations. There are spiders on the front desk. I freak out and leave. Who is responsible? Should the doctor's office not have spooky things to accommodate for people who are afraid of this that or the other thing, or should I either look for a different office or find a work around to my issue (like close my eyes, request someone come to me with the paperwork to distance myself).

15 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

If your not ready to remake or setup the solution don't activate it yet and let the rest of us have fun with these new factors

What about existing worlds? They might have some animal pens already built far away from ocean, having no permanent structure to deflect the luanr hail(the umbralla doesn't count, your pets would die before you activate it).

Just now, _zwb said:

What about existing worlds? They might have some animal pens already built far away from ocean, having no permanent structure to deflect the luanr hail(the umbralla doesn't count, your pets would die before you activate it).

I have several pre existing world that have animal pens that I'll have to figure out and protect. That's the whole point of the challenge in the new endgame content. If one or two dies in one hit (since they aren't AOE)  I'll have to replace the animal with a new one and set up the umbrella making sure I can keep it repaired. I want new challenges that put my base in danger because we haven't had that in any real way yet (deerclops is too easy to counter) These are new challenges that don't have a simple craft one item and it's fine forever that older players have been asking for.

58 minutes ago, _zwb said:

I don't think lunar hail killing my zoo animals has any resemblance to terrors that can kill me and threaten my survival, it's just annoyance.

Its not a terror, its a hazard. You can just prevent it, and its not difficult to do so.

And as for the whole 'turn it off' thing, it seems more like you like complaining rather than taking people's suggestions to counteract things. I think this discussion won't go anywhere so best to agree to disagree.

5 minutes ago, IAmAFurrz said:

You can just prevent it, and its not difficult to do so.

The only prevention method we have is keeping your animal pens next to ocean for above average trees, or covering everything with umbralla, and constantly leaving them on because you wouldn't have the time to turn them all on when hail starts. Both methods ate too limiting for decorative building and ruins the asethetics to some extent, it defeats the point of building decorations in the first place. Sure, it's not difficult to do, but it certainly is just a bandaid solution.

If they have to add hazards purely to annoy you then I'd say it's bad mechanics(don't tell me you'd get killed by this thing).

19 minutes ago, IAmAFurrz said:

counteract things.

If only those counterplay ain't some  cheap bandaid solution

2 hours ago, Green Crystal said:

First there were lunar storms, zapping walls and possibly killing penned critters. Now they mostly spawns over uninhabited areas, making it ok.

Then the new content starts with somewhat uncontrolable portals (ok, you can block its spawners with some shenanigans), destroing any plantlife nearby and flooding your world with these gestalts/ stone boulders. Having a nice row of berry bushes? Too bad, here's a combo of 3 brigthshades occupying it every 5 days till the end of constant. Or boulder just droppes down and uproots everything (if it's underground). You meticulously laid down a border for some area with stone pebbles? Sheesh, must be a pain to set it up again, says tunneling vine (every 5 days, don't forget). Okay, you moved this non hostile cute critters into a pen, just to make the world a little more alive? All hail the hail, these grassgeckos/rabbits/ no-eye-deer / whatever else are out of their suffering, I guess. 

I think you get the idea. All this new content looks interesting and challenging, but I will not activate it until there's a solid solution to these problems. It's like all of this was made with progression-type players in mind. Those who start the world, kill everything and clear all content then abandon the world. Meanwhile best regards to the weirdos who like to stuck for several thousand days in one world to build something. Yeah, that 40 dreadstone per pillar was a nice meme, like can you imagine how much time they are gonna spend farming green gems or killing that werepig for 1/4 of cost of 1 pillar. Oh boy.

Sandbox games should respect the time players invest in their worlds with at least something trivial like not trying actively to destroy/sabotage player-built things. But now it's more like a mockery for trying to do something sound and longevous with more and more stuff that invades your base and you can do absolutely nothing to stop it (unless you find "just turn if off" a solution, which is not). 

Well, saying all that, I like the idea of this new "hardmode". I like the enemy encounters, new bosses, not so much the new loot. You just have to stop implementing things that ruin my base, or at least make it managable. Like have a beacon to attract these gestalts and to not let them infest every plant I've ever planted. And these pillars are just another lightning rod with underground flavor to slap on every 15 squares of land, it was never fun or interesting, just a recourse sink. Look cool though, but tedious. 

And with this new loot, the "dealing with wildfires"-one. Wildfires were never a smart mechanic, I just turn it off. I don't like how it either limits my gameplay to "stay in oasis/ underground" or random stuff gets burned down when you run by. So now you offer me another lightning rod for these wildfires but for a small price of just an in-game year and not using better crafting alternatives. If you want this thing to be viable, just make it so it turns off the posibility of anything smoldering on the whole map, not just in slightly larger then flingomatic radius. And for that it consumes the eye, we don't have much use for it anyway. 

Literally only thing I disagree on are the Brightshades because they don't actually cause any permanent destruction and once killed the plant underneath is still there unharmed. Otherwise AMEN! 

Really annoying Klei are trying to satisfy these anti-"megabasing", anti-sandbox players who just want wanton destruction  and widespread chaos because hurr durr it makes the  game better for absolutely nothing to be safe. Forget having a balance or making threats avoidable like every other aspect of the game or having creative threats that are still fun and challenging but don't just completely ruin the game for those who actually commit to long term worlds. These sort of destructive additions btw aren't actually that challenging they are just destructive for the point of being destructive. Zero creativity or actual challenge, just pure destructiveness.

I genuinely don't understand those who want hail to eventually render their surface world barren and empty of any wildlife over time. Oh yeah how fun letting beefalo potentially go extinct forever, how fun having every koala, grass gecko, no eyed deer from Klaus you left alive to wander the world etc just go completely extinct. What absolutely genius mechanics. Every single week people make posts about how they want the constant to be more vibrant, more filled with creatures and less monotonous and empty which basically every single participant agrees with but then we get mob destroying hail and all of a sudden it's oh neat all hail the hail. Umm what? So you don't want a more alive and vibrant world at all then I suppose? Just mechanics that kill off everything and ruin a huge aspect of the game for others because screw them right?

The umbrallas and oversized trees are just dumb. They don't actually solve the problem. I'm not going to put them up in every single biome and near every single pen and herd and constantly go around repairing every single one every hour to hour and a half, get real what a joke. Im also not relocating and moving every herd or pen to coastline and spending an insane amount of hours setting up oversized trees across my entire world. I don't want my world absolutely covered in them.. maybe I want rain and heat to still be a challenge in some parts of the map also btw without shade from these everywhere. Lastly no I'm not running off to some uninhabited area of the map so the hail doesn't load on anything every single time it occurs, seriously this is the worst one. Oh just don't play the game and get to actually go near anything. Bravo what a genius solution.

Bad design, bad mechanics, selfish players supporting these ideas (there are plenty of ways for klei to implement new ACTUAL challenges and content that don't just completely screw over anyone who megabases, actually utilizes the SANDBOX half of the games genre or sticks with long term worlds) and bad Klei for doing this in the first place. 

It doesn't seem like they're going to stop it damaging mobs cause of the useless band aid "solutions" they've given us so unfortunately it's going to be another turned off forever mechanic for those of us who actually care about our mobs and don't embrace wanton destruction for its own sake and it's artificial "difficulty".  I hate turning off mechanics and there are few I do but this one? Yeah 100%.

To all those supporting lunar hail knowing well how much this damages the fun so many others get to have with the game and don't care: I hope the skill trees for your mains are the opposite of what you want and let you down massively. I hope moleworms eat all the green gems you ever find and never give them back and for those who support it yet still play long term worlds in the thousands of day count I hope you enjoy the barren surface world's you will eventually have when every fragile mob is eventually gone thanks to your previous hail. 

Archived