New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

I overlooked this earlier since I like the other stuff in his kit but it does seem a bit weird that Wormwood has a fruit fly perk; there's not really any reason to want non-friendly fruit flies around, and neither the basic ones nor the Lord of the Fruit Flies have good drops if you already have a Friendly Fruit Fly. So who's that one for? Friendly fruit fly rushers?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, . . . said:

The game's catering too hard to becoming easy and casul. Skill trees for every character is literally just free powerful perks there is no balance anymore for Wilson it was okay cause he has no abilities, but having extra abilities for characters that already very strong like wolfgang or wanda in the future... and with klei neutering every update that adds actual difficult things into the game its lame.

at this rate mod characters will be more balanced than the vanilla cast lol

i might remind people you can just not use the perks? no downside for not useing them apart from not useing em last i checked

2 hours ago, Grinek said:

hello 
Uh, oh, so I tested the new beta and I really don't like it, woodie definitely needed this change,  wolfgang is okay, but he didn't need a buff but freaking wormwood 75% of his new skillset perks  is useless , like who needs more bloom? or a walking carrot and friendly saladmander following  you , turning him into webber v2.0 
i started maining wilson because of his rework making him so special he even got his animation , now everyone is getting a skillset tree turning wilson into a joke character from "haha no rework" to "haha basic perks on your skillset tree" 
i like the idea "changing" the characters that no one plays but do they really need a skillset? 
characters like willow , winona , walter? definitely need a buff but not in that way  i mean you can skip "the surviving experience" by using one command 

basically klei is turning Don't Starve Together into pick-a-like RPG game "do you want to be on the bright side or the dark side"

pov the one battle wormwood (bloom speed boost moment)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jestymun said:

This is such a peanut brained post and I think you know it.

People are annoyed because they thought that Wilson's skill tree WAS his rework, and that was more or less okay. Now we're seemingly finding out that every character is getting a skilltree. Wilson was arguably a character that needed a rework the most as he was left so far behind the other survivers. Now he is left having a skill tree, but no rework, where the other characters will have their reworks and their skill trees. That's what's frustrating. Wilson was cheated of his rework. He just got his skilltree first. And it isn't great either.

Wilson was "Cheated" of his rework because he is still essentially the tutorial character, what would be the point of giving wilson, a character that is meant to be a doorway to the game and its mechanics, a unique feature that wouldn't be applied anywhere else in the game? Wouldn't it feel odd that only Wilson had this whole "skilltree" feature? Cause i feel like it would; hell i could see it even spark confusion on new players, new players that would play wilson would see that he has a skill tree and would most likely instictively think other characters would have the same treatment, which wasn't the case but now is going to be.

Frankly i still believe a lot of the concern about this update is just more out of fear about how "game changing" this update can be, but if you quite literally just ignore the skill tree, the default characters are still there, sure you might be less "powerful" than someone else that decides to take the skills but it's not like its "increased health" or "increased damage", and most of the actually pretty useful skills are locked behind the endgame (or settings being changed, i guess)

The core game is still there, it just has sprinkles ontop for extra flavour to those who want it.

• Shopcat 2

• Wolfgang Skill Tree added
  • Wormwood Skill Tree added
  • Woodie Skill Tree added

Why did you make a character exclusive gimmick as a rework to then just give it to other characters? Either give Wilson something new or get rid of these changes. Please think about it, even just a bit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

YESSSS YESSSSSSS

BEGONE FARMING

BEGONE

FROM THE GROUND YOU CAME AND TO THE GROUND YOU SHALL RETURN

I SHALL TAKE MY POUND OF FLESH AND SCORCH EARTH ALL THAT REMAINS

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

So, ahem, what skills does wormwood get?

Bro, I know how long you've been waiting for this :mrgreen:

• Big Ups 1

48 minutes ago, slurper gaming said:

i might remind people you can just not use the perks? no downside for not useing them apart from not useing em last i checked

pov the one battle wormwood (bloom speed boost moment)

This isn’t in the SLIGHTEST how video games work, especially on Xbox Live… I guarantee you that what’s actually going to happen is: Players will inspect your character, notice you have Skill points but none are distributed Anywhere… And then they’re going to vote/kick You & ban you off the Server- But wait!!! It’s Xbox Live right?? So they can also report you to XBL for bizarre & stupid reasons such as: Not contributing to a team, intentional trolling of other players. Not using a Headset to communicate, And guess what?

You just got yourself a nice little Xbox Live Ban for a few days/weeks.

Sure you can TELL people just don’t use a certain feature, but to avoid all the above highly probable things that could happen: It would better if Klei just provided server settings so whoever is host can opt if players can use skill trees or if they’re disabled.

Because from my POV: The characters were pretty decent as they were and didn’t really NEED more power with a Skills System.

Now I have to worry about Tail Slamming Beavers, Fire Dumbell tossing Wolfgang’s, and Wormwoods with an Army of Fire Saladmanders running around.

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1

17 hours ago, Jason said:

The next DST beta test update is live now. The main feature of this update is adding skill trees to three more of the Survivors: Wolfgang, Wormwood and Woodie. 

Go here to see how to enter the beta branch on steam if you have not done that before.

Changes:

• Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris.
  • Equipment forged from the Brightsmithy and Shadowcraft Plinth can now be repaired using specific repair kits.  When they reach a fully broken state, they can no longer be equipped until repaired.
  • Equipment changes:
    • Umbralla can now be activated on the ground to generate an area of effect rain barrier.  Please note that acid rain does not heal the Umbralla while it is activated like this.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer provide acid rain immunity.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer drain sanity when equipped.
    • Ramping shadow planar damage buff now only requires equipping Void Cowl instead of the full set.
    • Void Robe now blocks negative sanity auras (e.g. from monsters or other scary objects).
    • Brightshade weapon buffs now only require equipping Brightshade Helm instead of the full set.
    • Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness.
    • Brightshade Armor now has minor damage reflection.
    • Dreadstone Armor and Dreadstone Helm no longer drain sanity when not self-repairing.

This is the most excited i've ever been! Well, time to boot up DST.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You just got yourself a nice little Xbox Live Ban for a few days/weeks.

Sure you can TELL people just don’t use a certain feature, but to avoid all the above highly probable things that could happen: It would better if Klei just provided server settings so whoever is host can opt if players can use skill trees or if they’re disabled.

People here have a so called computer you know a desktop pc which doesn't rely on dumb services like xbox live or ps whatever i really don't think people will vote you for not using your points

Edited by gamehun20
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lovens said:

Also could we maybe get a tweak on the frequency of deadly brightshade spawns? They are ridiculously annoying and get in the way of everything.

Thanks for talking about this. Never before have I seen this game have such an annoying update as Taking Root. I also hope that they also lessen the need for that horrible Restrained Static farm, that's the WORST mechanic of the game right now. Having to do THREE times the lunar storm event is just awful.

42 minutes ago, Drieuq said:

Wilson was "Cheated" of his rework because he is still essentially the tutorial character, what would be the point of giving wilson, a character that is meant to be a doorway to the game and its mechanics, a unique feature that wouldn't be applied anywhere else in the game? Wouldn't it feel odd that only Wilson had this whole "skilltree" feature? Cause i feel like it would; hell i could see it even spark confusion on new players, new players that would play wilson would see that he has a skill tree and would most likely instictively think other characters would have the same treatment, which wasn't the case but now is going to be.

Frankly i still believe a lot of the concern about this update is just more out of fear about how "game changing" this update can be, but if you quite literally just ignore the skill tree, the default characters are still there, sure you might be less "powerful" than someone else that decides to take the skills but it's not like its "increased health" or "increased damage", and most of the actually pretty useful skills are locked behind the endgame (or settings being changed, i guess)

The core game is still there, it just has sprinkles ontop for extra flavour to those who want it.

The tutorial argument just doesn’t work anymore, imo.  I’d understand if all characters were locked behind an exp wall, but they’re all readily available from the get-go.  I hardly ever see new players picking Wilson because he’s not beginner-friendly; they almost always go with a character like Wendy.

The issue is that they’re placating to something entirely different and disregarding their own main character.  His rework short still sidelined him for the overall plot progression, and now a feature that was supposed to be unique to him and his rework is being shoved into different facets of the game.  Plus the complaints people had regarding the over-saturation of character-based updates.  

• Like 6
  • Health 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

16 minutes ago, RotTown said:

Аргумент tutorial просто больше не работает, имо. Я бы понял, если бы все персонажи были заблокированы за стеной опыта, но все они легко доступны с самого начала. Я редко вижу, чтобы новые игроки выбирали Уилсона, потому что он не подходит для новичков; они почти всегда выбирают персонажа вроде Венди.

Проблема в том, что они потворствуют чему-то совершенно другому и игнорируют своего собственного главного героя. Его короткая доработка по-прежнему оттесняла его на второй план в развитии сюжета, и теперь функция, которая должна была быть уникальной для него и его доработок, внедряется в разные аспекты игры. Плюс жалобы людей на перенасыщение обновлений на основе персонажей.

I agree with every word you say

• Like 1
  • Health 1

I feel like it should be said that wormwood only having lunar affinities is disappointing. Yes, I get that it makes sense canonically, but it takes away the point of having two sides to begin with. And don't start by saying, "Oh, well, just don't get the affinities," or "Maxwell will probably be only shadow, so it balances out," because that's wrong. I shouldn't have to opt out of the update or its perks just because I don't like the lunar affinity. I'm saying that if this update is designed to allow players to pick between the shadows and the moon, then let ALL characters have that reflected in their skill trees. I want to be able to, pardon the pun, REAP the rewards of whichever side I want, whenever I want. I don't want to have to dump my favorite character into the bin every time I want to go the shadow path.

• Like 1

Man I was really hoping that wolf got a canebell rather than the leg day or the over mighty meter. I think it would basically achieve the same goals, but it would be less tedious overall bc we wouldn't spend so much time working out, idk

I think Wolfgang and woodie should get something  craft able for the affinity like a dread stone/moon rock  dumbbell  and a Lucy upgrade like a Mobile form for woodie’s were forms so she can chop along side you for lunar, stuff grows around her like how wormwood was created for shadow she calls on the power of shadows turn her self in to a nightmare monster  Surrounding the axe or holding it or something maybe they can reanimate a tree guard corpse using the opposite powers or another option is a shadow/moon glass axe  

• Wavey 1

6 hours ago, Jestymun said:

I'm not committed to Wilson. I rarely play Wilson actually, I mostly play wigfrid, wormwood, and Maxwell. I'm not being tribalistic either. I do think other characters are fun. I just think you're being willfully ignorant as to why players are upset.

Was Wilson never supposed to have unique quirks? In base DS his beard helped him survive the one big obstacle in the game that comes on it's own terms: winter. Additionally meat effigies were the only reliable revive meathod in that game, making the easy access to beard hair pretty significant. The game has come a long way since then, and most characters have changed to reflect that. I don't think it's a stretch to think that Wilson might benifit from an update. 
Also it sounds a lot like you don't play wilson, and yet you are telling wilson players what their character is supposed to be, and saying that they don't have a right to want something else, which is obnoxious.

So people wait until other characters get their own character-themed skill tree to get upset, then? Does that not sound like entitlement to you? Sorry I don’t sympathize.

• Like 2
  • Potato Cup 1

20 hours ago, Jason said:

Changes:

Huh. So it looks like we are going the skill tree route. It's not the most organic or user-friendly way to refresh the characters and certainly not the way I would've had it done, but I still do like the opportunity here for a middle ground between reworks and characters being stuck the way the are. 

I'm guessing this as an extension of the early game/endgame approach mentioned in the roadmap? Skill trees that maintain progress across different save files encourages players to try different characters more to unlock the points and test different perk combinations. The arpeggiated nature of the perks means that some favor new players while some favor veteran ones. It's not a terrible way to handle unlockable features in an ongoing-service type of game, but imo its still clunky. The fact that these skill trees are functionally unlockable features for the player profile masquerading as in-game level progression for the save file is awkward.  

That being said, I'm very welcoming of these character touch-ups in any form. I don't play these particular fellas enough to have opinions on their perks, but I'm excited to see what this could mean for the full roster!

20 hours ago, Jason said:
  • Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris
  • Equipment changes:
    • Umbralla can now be activated on the ground to generate an area of effect rain barrier.  Please note that acid rain does not heal the Umbralla while it is activated like this.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer drain sanity when equipped.
    • Ramping shadow planar damage buff now only requires equipping Void Cowl instead of the full set.
    • Void Robe now blocks negative sanity auras (e.g. from monsters or other scary objects).
    • Brightshade weapon buffs now only require equipping Brightshade Helm instead of the full set.
    • Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness.

Love seeing so many player suggestions taken to heart!

Edited by D_Good_Fellow

I like these skill trees. Woodie fixed! Also good job on these, I don't get why everyone goes "Oh no skill trees", like the problem with skill trees are not skill trees itself (i see these as "you can have good things as you like but not everything at once, fit your gameplay") but what is in that skill trees. And we got good stuff, maybe something needs adjustments, but I see there gathered ideas from forum, and some devs ideas. If all these good things were just as perks, that would be ever more powerful. Personally I would change one thing about current state of skill tree - that usage of some perks (specially those with planar damage) was unlocked by opening rifts and per game, not by just killing a boss (and to open rift anyway you need to kill a boss). I don't feel fully ok to kill a celestial champion with one character and unlock all planar and affirnity perks for every character from a start of game.

(when Winona fix? Please!)

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Are you forgetting a very very early game set piece that was added into the game last year?

Setting Stage literally let’s you farm almost completely free high tier items.. and ONE of those items is a Miners Hat.

The entire game is either directly… or Indirectly becoming so much easier than its single player counter part.

I don’t like the new direction the Franchise has been headed in for quite some time now… but I’ve given up any hope whatsoever that they’ll add the Rogue-Lite Adventures Mode from Solo DS..

All I wanted was “Don’t Starve, but with Friends!”

DST… has become instead “Simplify the hell out of the franchise so it appeals to a broader audience of gamers.”

I personally don’t like it.. but complaining about adding darkness immunity to a very late-game boss locked glowing helmet is the least of my concerns..

Those free Miner hats from killing some easy to kill rose bush hounds though.. now that’s something to be slightly concerned about.

It's funny how you always seems to complain about wanting "rogue", "uncompromising", "no-megabasing" experiences in DST but u're also the first one to ask access to the shadow rift update without killing fuelweaver, same to lunar rifts. Make it make sense please! If you want to pester all the posts in this forum asking for challenges all the time at least complete all things to do in this game.

As for the update... I'm really excited to see what comes next and to play with wormwood 

Edited by Peaches44
  • Like 2