New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

I am just gonna say Klei did really awesome job here, for now we have choice to build a survivor for us not like other reworks that klei had to think what should be nerfed what should be removed/added. Skill trees are very good way for everyone, why? So skill trees have unique abilities that can satisfy style we enjoy the character, complaining about something was removed and replaced was creating too much controvesioin in forums specially for people who started learing about this character. I really liked way they Klei reworked Wilson and i was hoping for more Skill trees and i was surprised but this beta. Re-Work should be something that a Character or a survivor have something new and if we didn't played for long or we forgot about that character acctualy exsist and we should try and perhaps change mind about past. With perks that can perhaps change playstyle skill trees are really good options and it's been almost 7 years since i first launched DST and Klei is always surprising with something new! 

Thank you for this support and listening to us :wilson_love:

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Jason said:
  • Wolfgang Skill Tree added
  • Wormwood Skill Tree added
  • Woodie Skill Tree added

Don't know how i feel about this but i am still excited to see what other characters would get.

Especially Walter, Willow and Winona.. cause i assume rest of the characters will get skill trees too?

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

~snippity snip snip~

so you're annoyed because the characters all got items and perks that could lead to griefing? 

I mean that's fair, but you seem more annoyed about the fact that willow doesn't have those kinds of perks

but I don't think that's the right attitude to have right now, my friend

I think you should be excited for what willow can get with her perks! 

like imagine they give her back the infinite lighter with one of the perks!

or make bernie do AOE! 

I think considering the new stuff she could get is better than being upset about the stuff she lost( but then again, I'm not very smart so If you don't agree with me, then you can just ignore the message)

Edited by viberr
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This isn’t in the SLIGHTEST how video games work, especially on Xbox Live… I guarantee you that what’s actually going to happen is: Players will inspect your character, notice you have Skill points but none are distributed Anywhere… And then they’re going to vote/kick You & ban you off the Server- But wait!!! It’s Xbox Live right?? So they can also report you to XBL for bizarre & stupid reasons such as: Not contributing to a team, intentional trolling of other players. Not using a Headset to communicate, And guess what?

You just got yourself a nice little Xbox Live Ban for a few days/weeks.

Sure you can TELL people just don’t use a certain feature, but to avoid all the above highly probable things that could happen: It would better if Klei just provided server settings so whoever is host can opt if players can use skill trees or if they’re disabled.

Because from my POV: The characters were pretty decent as they were and didn’t really NEED more power with a Skills System.

Now I have to worry about Tail Slamming Beavers, Fire Dumbell tossing Wolfgang’s, and Wormwoods with an Army of Fire Saladmanders running around.

thats the best part in dst theres a ingame chat and the characters are still good without the skills and idk what games you play but most games with skill points but dst kinda is diff in this case also what games you play i have no clue every game with skill points i have played i havent had any issues not picking skills as  no ones going to get pissed  bc someone whos doing mid isnt picking skills when there the one dieing well haveing the best skills  one might call what you said here a skill issue depending on who they are but I still think if you don't like them your self you can play alone or just not use them your self

6 hours ago, Dr.Webber said:

You always have the option to not use them

i fully agree with this

Edited by slurper gaming
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Peaches44 said:

It's funny how you always seems to complain about wanting "rogue", "uncompromising", "no-megabasing" experiences in DST but u're also the first one to ask access to the shadow rift update without killing fuelweaver, same to lunar rifts. Make it make sense please! If you want to pester all the posts in this forum asking for challenges all the time at least complete all things to do in this game.

As for the update... I'm really excited to see what comes next and to play with wormwood 

You want it make sense? Play single player don’t starve- A game where I was challenged by the world around me due to the way the games actual map was generated, challenged by having to endure 5 different worlds and make it to the end of the game, challenged by having to come up with clever ways of getting into seemingly-inaccessible areas, or by having to carefully watch my step in a dark temple filled with booby trapped poisonous arrows.

if you want it to make sense.. please just play the single player game, you never had to fight a single multiplayer designed boss at all, in fact: You never had to fight any bosses at all! But you were still challenged by the way the map generated the world.

If you want my way of play to make sense how about we split the Beefalo biome from the mainland so I have to sail across the ocean to find and obtain my Beefalo? Or how about we place Pig Kings Island on the other side of a pond I need to build a raft and paddle across to gain access to?

My point is DS & DST are two completely different games meant to cater towards two completely different groups of players- and that’s why Klei has this problem of peoples playstyles clashing with one another.

Yes I activate rifts without fighting a boss, but I do that to access new content within the world around me that’s going to challenge my day to day survival- you know.. more like single player don’t starve.

And no I don’t actually find Brightshades or Ink blights to be End Game threats.. I actually find them to be more in-line with single player don’t starve:

Aka the World, the actual game world around me.. presents me with a new danger or problem and I need to figure out how to solve it, or run away from it to stay alive.

Content that in MY OPINION is only locked away behind needing to fight a boss at all so that it can “ease” players who struggle to survive in DST as is into new challenges.

If you can handle fighting CK, CC & AFW- You can handle world altering changes their defeat brings about the world around you.

now my question to You is why do you think Klei added a toggle to activate those things without needing to fight those bosses?

Could it be that maybe they realized it was a scummy move to lock new world based challenges behind fighting a completely optional boss?

Perhaps they added those settings for people who want to experience new world based challenges without spending hours or days worth of time doing other in-game tasks to reach that point?

Maybe they’re available for the same reason you can change your worlds starting weather season and experience Winter/Summer without having to wait out Autumn?

Your telling me to complete the games current challenges before demanding changes- I’m telling you that the challenges I enjoyed about the franchise are either absent from, or Nerfed into Oblivion in DST in favor of yep you guessed it-

Optional Multiplayer Designed Raid Bosses that once defeated: Bring the changes to the world around me that shouldn’t be locked behind a boss in the first place.

Now does it make sense?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This isn’t in the SLIGHTEST how video games work, especially on Xbox Live… I guarantee you that what’s actually going to happen is: Players will inspect your character, notice you have Skill points but none are distributed Anywhere… And then they’re going to vote/kick You & ban you off the Server- But wait!!! It’s Xbox Live right?? So they can also report you to XBL for bizarre & stupid reasons such as: Not contributing to a team, intentional trolling of other players. Not using a Headset to communicate, And guess what?

You just got yourself a nice little Xbox Live Ban for a few days/weeks.

Sure you can TELL people just don’t use a certain feature, but to avoid all the above highly probable things that could happen: It would better if Klei just provided server settings so whoever is host can opt if players can use skill trees or if they’re disabled.

Let's say that your argument is true and the Xbox Live community is that toxic, people will report you for not enabling the skill trees and you lose in all scenarios.

Im neutral about the skill trees, I need to see all of them to have a good opinion, but saying that Klei should change something just because an unmoderated community  (which they have no control of) is so toxic, doesn't make sense as that won't change much of that toxicity.

But im not going to lie, they can make a "Classic DST" world preset along with adding the option to disable Skill Trees, that sounds good and I like having options.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, GiltGbros2 said:

The skill trees for Wolfgang, Woodie and and Wormword are so cool (10% speed boost) but then Wilsons are just.... transmute beard hair into beefalo hair.  As a Wilson main this hurts :wilson_cry:

It's insanely painful. I so much want Wilson to be updated in this update as well:wilson_cry:

• Like 4
  • Sad Dupe 2

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

You want it make sense? Play single player don’t starve- A game where I was challenged by the world around me due to the way the games actual map was generated, challenged by having to endure 5 different worlds and make it to the end of the game, challenged by having to come up with clever ways of getting into seemingly-inaccessible areas, or by having to carefully watch my step in a dark temple filled with booby trapped poisonous arrows.

if you want it to make sense.. please just play the single player game, you never had to fight a single multiplayer designed boss at all, in fact: You never had to fight any bosses at all! But you were still challenged by the way the map generated the world.

If you want my way of play to make sense how about we split the Beefalo biome from the mainland so I have to sail across the ocean to find and obtain my Beefalo? Or how about we place Pig Kings Island on the other side of a pond I need to build a raft and paddle across to gain access to?

My point is DS & DST are two completely different games meant to cater towards two completely different groups of players- and that’s why Klei has this problem of peoples playstyles clashing with one another.

Yes I activate rifts without fighting a boss, but I do that to access new content within the world around me that’s going to challenge my day to day survival- you know.. more like single player don’t starve.

And no I don’t actually find Brightshades or Ink blights to be End Game threats.. I actually find them to be more in-line with single player don’t starve:

Aka the World, the actual game world around me.. presents me with a new danger or problem and I need to figure out how to solve it, or run away from it to stay alive.

Content that in MY OPINION is only locked away behind needing to fight a boss at all so that it can “ease” players who struggle to survive in DST as is into new challenges.

If you can handle fighting CK, CC & AFW- You can handle world altering changes their defeat brings about the world around you.

now my question to You is why do you think Klei added a toggle to activate those things without needing to fight those bosses?

Could it be that maybe they realized it was a scummy move to lock new world based challenges behind fighting a completely optional boss?

Perhaps they added those settings for people who want to experience new world based challenges without spending hours or days worth of time doing other in-game tasks to reach that point?

Maybe they’re available for the same reason you can change your worlds starting weather season and experience Winter/Summer without having to wait out Autumn?

Your telling me to complete the games current challenges before demanding changes- I’m telling you that the challenges I enjoyed about the franchise are either absent from, or Nerfed into Oblivion in DST in favor of yep you guessed it-

Optional Multiplayer Designed Raid Bosses that once defeated: Bring the changes to the world around me that shouldn’t be locked behind a boss in the first place.

Now does it make sense?

Rifts appear only after defeating certain bosses due to lore reasons. Like in Wilson trailer where Wagstaff Dont Starve were building portal, Wilson helped him and in the next update trailer we see Wagstaff Dont Starve complete portal working, hes thinkin about something and the next shot is lunar rifts appear.

Same with shadows rifts and its trailer and previous one foreshadowing upcoming rifts.

I like when shorts and other media outside of actual game foreshadows whats to come in actual game. It adds charm to it

• Like 2

On 06.07.2023 at 22:57, Mike23Ua said:

Да… но меня чертовски сбивает с толку то, что Клей рекламирует это «Из-за пределов» как явное окончание игры DST… так какой же «смысл» в предоставлении деревьев навыков персонажам, если вы получаете эти деревья навыков только во время последние части игры?

В сжатом виде это похоже на покупку Seasons Pass для Batman Arkham Knight только для того, чтобы узнать, что на самом деле можно использовать те 50 долларов различных скинов Бэтмобиля, которые вы должны сначала пройти всю игру, и к этому моменту вам ничего не остается делать, кроме как ездить на своем бэтмобиле. в пустом городе, очищенном от всех преступлений.

TL:DR- ЗАЧЕМ ДОБАВЛЯТЬ ДЕРЕВА НАВЫКОВ В КОНЦЕ ИГРЫ?!?!

Так запутанно… 

No, this is not how it works, it's made for new players who, to be honest, can die on day 10 and recreate the world without finding a way to resurrect happiness, and so again and again , moving further and further, they get points and with the experience they gain, they get improvements that help them adapt to this not easy game each time going further and further 

• Like 1

I wanna provide my thoughts and critiques on this update so far! I was dissatisfied by the addition of a skill tree at first until I really thought about it (and saw how good Woodie's was since I'm very biased). I think skill trees are a decent idea and people just need to warm up to them and just think of what it could do especially for characters that struggle.

I will not talk about Wolfgang's skill tree just because I think that it's very generic, and it's supposed to be.

For Wormwood, I am actually very interested in these changes brought to him to focus on his utility that he provides to a server but also enabling him to gather resources more efficiently, and I'm even happier to see that his performance in combat wasn't neglected with the two lunar alignment skills that he has! Being able to transmute carrats essentially means you are trading a carrot for leafy meat which enables getting lureplant early for example is such a nice addition, and renewable source of reeds in monkeytails is absolutely insane. However, I can't help but feel like farmhand isn't a very good skill outside of Bee Kind but I think that's okay, not all of the tree has to be excellent.

I'll stop beating around the bush though, the reason I want to talk about Wormwood is his Mushroom skill tree and the absolute joy of his Poor Sap and Moon Shroom cloud perks. And while those are in my opinion very good perks to have, I can't help but feel like increasing his efficiency at farming mushrooms is lackluster seeing that farm plots such as potatoes provide the exact same health utility with no sanity drawback and bramble husks provide a drawback free trip to the desert to collect up to a stack of cactus flesh, with both methods not being season reliant either. And so, I'm just gonna shoot my shot: I think that Wormwood should have one of his perks in the skill tree modified to be able to plant Moon shrooms in planters! It would pair perfectly with Moon Shroom cloud would make for an excellently available get-off-me perk for the character who's worse at healing than all of the cast. I'd be overjoyed if that was added.

As for Woodie, I first want to state how overjoyed I am with these changes. I figured that the only Woodie changes we'd get would just providing a way to not be forced to transform during full moons to compensate for Wicker and Moon storms. These changes really go through and beyond to let Woodie excel at being a jack of all trades which I absolutely adore. I do have two critiques though. The first critique is that Curse Embracer completely invalidates Transformation TImer, there's hardly a reason to invest into longer were-time when you do not suffer any penalties for chugging idols. And I think that comes back to Curse Embracer being too good, if it still provided a sanity penalty like Maxwell's followers do I think that's be a good way to tune it down. As for my second critique is Weregoose mastery, while I agree that you should only be able to pick one Mastery skill and I think that Moose and Beaver are close to each other in terms of appeal, I think Weregoose mastery just absolutely fails to meet that standard outside of speedrunning and could use a boost to provide something equally appealing. My suggestion might sound or be too good, but I think that if Woodie was allowed to teleport map-wide during Weregoose in a way shorter range than Wortox, and to land in a random location in a radius around the selected area that'd be a way better perk. You'd still be giving up Werebeaver's stomp and Weremoose's AoE potential. Ontop of that, I just think the Weregoose perks past one are all too underwhelming, but I have no clue how I'd change them at all.

These are my thoughts on the beta so far, thank you Klei for this update and providing all of your characters with equal levels of love.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

After playing more with Woodie's changes, I still think sanity drain is too harsh for him especially when against large sanity auras.  The fact that he cannot use any sanity foods or equipment while transformed means its a real problem for me, most character downsides can be mitigated with items much more easily.

13 hours ago, demon3000 said:

I not like it. All skills trees need unlock after defeat final boss (CC or AF), not to give at the beginning. 

no, the skill trees need you to survive for a long time to get the max amount of points to spend for more skills. there are only a few bit of skills that require beating CC and AF, those perks aren't the only perks the character has on their skill tree. Just surviving will give you points to spend

Can we just have a wooden walking stick skin for walking cane? Just realised how pretty it is... Even if it isn't exactly the same, just some wooden cane with that cute twirly pattern at the end of the cane would do :wilson_angelic:

THIS   IS   HORRIBLE

This maybe the worst DST update of all

Why we need skill trees? Instead normal mehanics Klei want to add FREE character bufs... game lost any sense : you just doing nothing and buff your character forever. As I remember this project started as "uncompromising survival simulator" right? Klei have a lot of cool ideas, but this will alleviate game too much. For example : WX-78 he's need to investigating enemies for upgrading, sense almost same, only WX need to do SOMETHING.

If Klei wil do DST too boring, it will be worse and for players, and for ourself, they simply destroy game

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shopcat 1

This new update looks really great so far. I love the idea to give skill trees to every characters. It makes them even more unique and interesting. I just hope it won't take again 5 years to update all of them.

It would be great if the wooden hat could be crafted by other characters, since the wooden suit can already. I understand that this update tries to give every characters unique crafts and abilities. But I think what Woodies got is already enough for making him unique.

It would be great and useful if Wormwood was able to also craft grasses, normal saplings, and mandrakes.

Edited by Hypsellis

On 7/7/2023 at 12:48 AM, Creatorofswamps said:

Please don't do this,. . This destroys the whole concept of fear of the dark. We don't need a way to fight it. If you want it that way, then let it glow a little in the dark and lose its strength at night. It would be better than just standing in total darkness without being afraid of Charlie.

you'd hate to learn about moggles or straw roll.

On 7/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, AveHortor said:

I like the idea of everyone eventually having a skill tree, but I feel like only Wilson should be allowed to have insight be cross world. 

Regardless of if you hate or like the skill tree, one thing that would probably fix a lot of issues that at least I have with it is making the insight actually have to be gained over time. This way, it's not a huge mental juggle to decide what perks you are going to start off with, helps ease the power ramp up from the perks,  increases the value of your decisions, flows better in gameplay as something you can do after returning to base as a sort of self-upgrade, flows better within the story as well in that it's the character gaining insight from their surroundings, and allows for more creativity based on your situation instead of praying that the perks you picked come in handy (ei. Picking werebeaver mastery in the hopes that you will be able to get a situation where it is optimal over weregoose or weremoose). I think thus if this idea is to be implemented, then the perks should be more meaningful choices. A lot of Wormwood's perks are incredibly situational, with almost half of them needing him to be blooming, and transmogrifying carrots into carrats and light bulbs into light bugs is rather useless when carrats don't really do anything, and you can just go make a bug net as any character for light bugs. The same can be said for Wolfgang's, but I don't think he needs any more power ^^;

I can't for the life of me imagine having a fun time picking out each and every single perk that I will have for the entire playthrough on the character select screen, as if I'm in a mall shopping for clothes, after I finally decide who I want to play as. Though, it would be fine for Wilson to have permanent insight, and it would quell some of the complaints about no longer having utility (to which I disagree, I think his transmutation perks are really useful and Gem Transmutation III lets you skip the moon caller staff event entirely). Also, Klei, please call it something other than a skill tree. That just fashions the perks as much as an RPG element as everyone is making them out to be. Perhaps something like Survivor Specialization?

I love the concept of the update and can’t wait to see the skill tree applies to my beloved Warly. (Spice duration boost, chef pouch upgrade, something more interesting than just stat boost for his meals)

There is one thing I don’t get. Woodie and Wolfgang get a mean to choose a side (Dark or light). But wormwood cannot, does it imply that he has a side by default? It sounds sad for their players.

• Big Ups 1

5 minutes ago, SuperDonuts said:

There is one thing I don’t get. Woodie and Wolfgang get a mean to choose a side (Dark or light). But wormwood cannot, does it imply that he has a side by default? It sounds sad for their players.

In the Lunar Roots animated short, we learn that gem on Wormwood's chest fell from the moon, and is what gave him life in the first place. So Wormwood is inherently lunar, whether he wants to be or not.

• Like 3

Just now, Arcwell said:

In the Lunar Roots animated short, we learn that gem on Wormwood's chest fell from the moon, and is what gave him life in the first place. So Wormwood is inherently lunar, whether he wants to be or not.

secret path unlocked: Child protective services- Charlie adopts wormwood

• Haha 2