New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

3 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

In the Lunar Roots animated short, we learn that gem on Wormwood's chest fell from the moon, and is what gave him life in the first place. So Wormwood is inherently lunar, whether he wants to be or not.

It makes sense, and I guess Maxwell will be shadow aligned by default.

Walter skill tree (idea)

Scout Skills:

1 tracker: can track quicker (-1 tracking vargs, kolaphants, sheep), 2 tracker: can track even quicker (-2 vargs, kolaphants, sheep), 3 tracker: can identify from the 1st track

Tales of Dr.hound-stein: 50% of nightmare fuel per player, The Curse of Camp Lunar-lake: 1 nightmare fuel per player, Monster Mimes from Mars: 2 nightmare fuel per player

Woby Skills: you need 6 Woby skills to access path 4 and you can only master 1 of them

Runner 1: Big Woby last 25% longer, Runner 2: Big Woby last 50% longer, Runner 3: Big Woby last 75% longer, Cooler Bag: Woby has fridge inventory + only players can open it

Armor 1: Big Woby can takes 25% more damage, Armor 2: Big Woby takes 50% more damage, Armor 3: Big Woby takes 75% more damage, Beefy Bag: Woby has +3 inventory and can pick up dropped loot (if she walks on it)

Doggy diet 1: Woby can take any type of meat (morsels need 4), Doggy diet 2: Woby can turn from 2 meats (morsels need 3), Doggy diet 3: Woby can turn from 1 meat (morsels need 2), Puppy trainer: Walter can craft a whistle to befriend 3 hounds (no hound on screen will spawn them)

Sling-shot Skills:

Fast Fingers 1: shoots 25% faster, Fast Fingers 2: shoots 50% faster (same speed as melee), Fast Fingers 3: shoots 75% faster (25% faster then melee)

Bug rounds: Bumble rounds shoot 1 grumble bee per shot (1 taffy, 2 killer bees), Spider rounds shoots 1 spider warrior (1 healing salve, 2 silk) [both have 17 contact damage]

Prank rounds: Egg rounds shoots a stinky area that drains health (2 rotten eggs), Gum rounds shoots super sticky gum to stop mobs (1 glommer goop)

Boom rounds: Firework rounds shoot for 3 x 15 Aoe damage (1 red gem, 1 moon stone), Explosive rounds shoots for 80 damage, there's no boom resistance (10 slime)

Trinket tricks: Walter can shoot any trinket (same as marbles), Slinging Swine: Pigs know how to use slingshots, Harder Peebles: 25% more damage for all ammo

Shadow: Hound Whisper: Walter is neutral to hounds (doesn't included Vargs or Varglets)

Lunar: Hopeful Spirit: Walter sanity damage is halved (spider does 20 sanity damage instead of 40, wearing a pine-tree hat reduces it to 10 sanity damage)

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 5:49 AM, Cheggf said:

Woohoo! Instead of 5 years with very few updates it's 2 years with very few updates! Yeah! 

24 divided by 3 is 8. considering how long its been between terrors below and this update beta it would be around 8-10 months to put out all of the skill trees + these could be released alongside content updates or just right after said update. you are exaggerating this way too much

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crispychips_ said:

24 divided by 3 is 8. considering how long its been between terrors below and this update beta it would be around 8-10 months to put out all of the skill trees + these could be released alongside content updates or just right after said update. you are exaggerating this way too much

Oh no my huge exaggeration! Instead of it being 2 years with very few updates it's only going to be like 1.5 years with very few updates! Enormous exaggeration! Completely incomparable, 1.5 and 2 are.

• Haha 1

I didn't know how I was gonna feel about the skill trees at first but after seeing these I'm loving it!!! I do think the skill trees need to be tied to the world instead of your account tho. I think you should begin each world from scratch.

I'm not sure why ppl are upset about Wilson. He was a default character with no skills, so it makes sense that he has no base skills but can learn perks as he plays. He is in a better spot than he used to be.

I don't really see the point of wormwoods lunar transformation perks, we have potions for that and it's not very useful compared to other characters lunar perks. More lord of the fruit flies...umm??? I don't like how the spore cloud perk puts you to sleep too, maybe change it so that he's immune to lunar mushrooms since he came from the moon. Makes sense to me. Wish he could plant lunar mush trees!

Thanks Klei for all your hard work, I hope you stick to your guns on this one! You have a much better picture of the final product than we do!

Edited by LitulLola
  • Shopcat 2

If we get a rework for every character, maybe Wanda can get a few new watches? 

I was thinking of something like a watch that allows you to age to the age you want, but not rejuvenate, one that rejuvenates 16 years instead of 8 and finally a chronograph, that increases the speed of movement, mining, logging, construction, collection and attack, in exchange for consuming life and hunger faster, also draining health and if you have several active clocks, the effects add up. Something like each activated clock increases speed by 5 or 10%, but the consumption of statistics increases exponentially.

Whether at 20 years of age, consumption increases exponentially, that when you reach 100% you have 200% consumption, at 37 you have 100-150 and at 65 it is 100-100.

This would be the 2nd time-related mechanic that Wanda would have, after her life mechanic.

And even she might have a very powerful end game magic that allows her to skip until the next  day.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:43 PM, gamehun20 said:

D:

Id be a lot more into the idea of skill trees if they weren't shared across worlds. It would be a good incentive to actually stick to a certain character and would be quite fun.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, HowlVoid said:

YESSSS YESSSSSSS

BEGONE FARMING

BEGONE

FROM THE GROUND YOU CAME AND TO THE GROUND YOU SHALL RETURN

I SHALL TAKE MY POUND OF FLESH AND SCORCH EARTH ALL THAT REMAINS

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

So, ahem, what skills does wormwood get?

I haven't been too active on the forums because of real life but uh... Skill tree for wormwood? Oh god please no.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xanadu2003 said:

Id be a lot more into the idea of skill trees if they weren't shared across worlds. It would be a good incentive to actually stick to a certain character and would be quite fun.

Yeah I think that's my main issue with them. You get them but can swap them around willy nilly with the celestial portal. More of a "one and done" why have them if you can just have access to all of them whenever you want? Maybe if you use the Celestial Portal you reset your skill progress. It would heavily discourage people from swapping characters which to me seems like an issue.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Yeah I think that's my main issue with them. You get them but can swap them around willy nilly with the celestial portal. More of a "one and done" why have them if you can just have access to all of them whenever you want? Maybe if you use the Celestial Portal you reset your skill progress. It would heavily discourage people from swapping characters which to me seems like an issue.

I don’t see the Celestial Portal & character swapping as an Issue, you can actually deactivate it Now in World Gen Settings same way you can deactivate the Terrarium from spawning, you can ALSO toggle some additional fun stuff such as Instant World Deletion:

Giving that classic single player don’t starve feeling of no ghost mode, no Revive amulets (unless worn at the moment of death) dying = World Deleted.

I love that Klei is actually listening to their players and providing all these options to play that go beyond just “Default settings”

I wish they would continue to expand upon this particular area of the game: And I can provide several good examples why.

Wavey Jones: Originally released Brutal & Totally Uncompromising, lots of people complain.. Wavey gets hit with hard nerfs to become less challenging.

Pirate Raids and Wonkey Curse Mechanics: Originally released to be much more hostile, curse was unremovable without trading to Monkey Queen, Nerfs made pirate raids near non-existent and Wonkey curse removable by just dying and respawning.

Lunar Rifts/Shadow Rifts: Originally released to not give a damn about your base and had destructive features: Nerfed to politely avoid spawning near your base.

But my point is that there’s no reason we can’t have our cake and eat it too…

Klei added a “Relaxed Mode” that came with 40% damage reduction, but enough players complained and we ALSO got 40% damage Increase.

I personally would love to play a more hostile version of DST- Lower all enemy health so their easier to kill, but increase their damage so they instant kill you if they hit you, change/reduce attack patterns to compensate for their Instant Kill 

These are the kind of things world Gen settings and options SHOULD be able to provide.. But currently don’t.

• Big Ups 1

On 7/7/2023 at 7:49 PM, ALCRD said:

Especially Walter, Willow and Winona.. cause i assume rest of the characters will get skill trees too?

i hope to see both rework AND skill trees for them

On 7/7/2023 at 1:09 AM, twitchgabo said:

- There are two perks that doen's have a discription on wormwood skill tree (from the butterfly friend section, the two on the top right). I think it has something with lureplants/berry crafting:

image.png.d11dd6e595cb3809ab97e5bcfbde4be3.png

these are juicy berry bush and lureplant crafting

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parusoid said:

these are juicy berry bush and lureplant crafting

Thx! In the initial patch there was no descripition but we could have figure it out hehe. The lureplant is really good!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a farming god now lol

21 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Oh no my huge exaggeration! Instead of it being 2 years with very few updates it's only going to be like 1.5 years with very few updates! Enormous exaggeration! Completely incomparable, 1.5 and 2 are.

did you even read what i said

7 minutes ago, crispychips_ said:

did you even read what i said

Yeah. You didn't read what I said, from the very first comment. You're acting like they're going to do 8 non-stop months of character refreshes and literally nothing else in a row, which is nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Yeah. You didn't read what I said, from the very first comment. You're acting like they're going to do 8 non-stop months of character refreshes and literally nothing else in a row, which is nonsense. 

well they might add the skilltree updates in the alongside in otherr updates
they wont do only 1 update for 8 months

Edited by bingo_card

22 hours ago, JJ0264 said:

Walter skill tree (idea)

Scout Skills:

1 tracker: can track quicker (-1 tracking vargs, kolaphants, sheep), 2 tracker: can track even quicker (-2 vargs, kolaphants, sheep), 3 tracker: can identify from the 1st track

Tales of Dr.hound-stein: 50% of nightmare fuel per player, The Curse of Camp Lunar-lake: 1 nightmare fuel per player, Monster Mimes from Mars: 2 nightmare fuel per player

Woby Skills: you need 6 Woby skills to access path 4 and you can only master 1 of them

Runner 1: Big Woby last 25% longer, Runner 2: Big Woby last 50% longer, Runner 3: Big Woby last 75% longer, Cooler Bag: Woby has fridge inventory + only players can open it

Armor 1: Big Woby can takes 25% more damage, Armor 2: Big Woby takes 50% more damage, Armor 3: Big Woby takes 75% more damage, Beefy Bag: Woby has +3 inventory and can pick up dropped loot (if she walks on it)

Doggy diet 1: Woby can take any type of meat (morsels need 4), Doggy diet 2: Woby can turn from 2 meats (morsels need 3), Doggy diet 3: Woby can turn from 1 meat (morsels need 2), Puppy trainer: Walter can craft a whistle to befriend 3 hounds (no hound on screen will spawn them)

Sling-shot Skills:

Fast Fingers 1: shoots 25% faster, Fast Fingers 2: shoots 50% faster (same speed as melee), Fast Fingers 3: shoots 75% faster (25% faster then melee)

Bug rounds: Bumble rounds shoot 1 grumble bee per shot (1 taffy, 2 killer bees), Spider rounds shoots 1 spider warrior (1 healing salve, 2 silk) [both have 17 contact damage]

Prank rounds: Egg rounds shoots a stinky area that drains health (2 rotten eggs), Gum rounds shoots super sticky gum to stop mobs (1 glommer goop)

Boom rounds: Firework rounds shoot for 3 x 15 Aoe damage (1 red gem, 1 moon stone), Explosive rounds shoots for 80 damage, there's no boom resistance (10 slime)

Trinket tricks: Walter can shoot any trinket (same as marbles), Slinging Swine: Pigs know how to use slingshots, Harder Peebles: 25% more damage for all ammo

Shadow: Hound Whisper: Walter is neutral to hounds (doesn't included Vargs or Varglets)

Lunar: Hopeful Spirit: Walter sanity damage is halved (spider does 20 sanity damage instead of 40, wearing a pine-tree hat reduces it to 10 sanity damage)

I just wanna say, if your text is the color of the skittles i barfed up when i was 9, there is a 100% chance of me not reading your post. Not because its childish but because it literally becomes harder for my adhd ass to read.

secondly discussion of not focused on characters should be relegated to the suggestion thread at best. Its not relevant at all

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

I just wanna say, if your text is the color of the skittles i barfed up when i was 9, there is a 100% chance of me not reading your post. Not because its childish but because it literally becomes harder for my adhd ass to read.

secondly discussion of not focused on characters should be relegated to the suggestion thread at best. Its not relevant at all

Walter skill tree (re-posted idea) [black text]

Scout Skills:

1 tracker: can track quicker (-1 tracking vargs, kolaphants, sheep), 2 tracker: can track even quicker (-2 vargs, kolaphants, sheep), 3 tracker: can identify from the 1st track

Tales of Dr.hound-stein: 50% of nightmare fuel per player, The Curse of Camp Lunar-lake: 1 nightmare fuel per player, Monster Mimes from Mars: 2 nightmare fuel per player

Runner 1: Big Woby last 25% longer, Runner 2: Big Woby last 50% longer, Runner 3: Big Woby last 75% longer, Cooler Bag: Woby has fridge inventory + only players can open it

Armor 1: Big Woby can takes 25% more damage, Armor 2: Big Woby takes 50% more damage, Armor 3: Big Woby takes 75% more damage, Beefy Bag: Woby has +3 inventory and can pick up dropped loot (if she walks on it)

Sling-shot Skills:

Why would you think that Wolfgang need the buff THIS eagerly? I mean, there are more characters struggling even before FB contents, why buff a character who is still strong enough against planar entities and doesn't need any buff? Do you really think that Wolfgang needs these buff? Why can't he have more "fun" and "playable" perks? 

Wormwood the same. So many meaningless skills for him, adding his farming perks is just like giving Wolfgang more damage. A whole branch of 5 skills are simply 5 new recipes crafting plant roots which literally helps nothing other than decoration purpose. 3 skills in a row just buffing the tending range. Just in what case do we need this damn range to be buffed? Why can't he have more "fun" and "playable" perks? 

• Like 3
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 2