Maxwell Refresh Beta Open!

Not Impressive. Yep, checked. There some improvements and cool things, but in general is not enough, maybe just after Wicker and WX I was expecting too much. Utility of servants is limited and still out of control, duelist just still die on hit, even with traps used on enemy. But what really need to be changed, I will leave to Maxwell Mains.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Bunnyash said:

Will there be an option to toggle work on and off? The main thing I found inconvenient was shadow miners mining the marble trees and loggers chopping decorative trees.

They only work in specified area and they don't last very long so unless you misplace them, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, b l a n k said:

Sounds like Minecraft's ender chest, but public. To prevent other players from stealing the items you put inside, I would've removed Chester from the equation, and having a storage linked to the players who created them, (but still accessible publicly when other players click on them), like Woby's chest

I'm afraid no one playing on public servers is going to use this feature, knowing the items they put inside may disappear at any moment

just publicity is the main feature, all chests are portable, except for being crafted, it is very convenient for one to collect a bunch of items and the other to take them out of the chest and sort them at the base. If you make it personal, what's the point? You can just take the chesters and move the items to another place and put them there, you can’t do this in the mine, so they use shulkers there

Edited by GodIess
  • Like 3

Maxwell's Unique Idle

Spoiler

player_idles_waxwell-idle.gif.fbe887cb30eca959911fdc8a29221345.gif player_idles_waxwell-idle2.gif.c79e1055b112e966f1f5a71f4e71ef57.gif

Magician's Chest

Spoiler

magician_chest-idle.gif.02b3daca5204002571e871c226ce0802.gif magician_chest-loop.gif.2e974bb67c399a10e1a742cc77e58bae.gif

Shadow Sneak

Spoiler

shadow_trap-spawn.gif.b66136966f090b0e6a7b905213609882.gif shadow_trap-trigger.gif.0d16bc505d771adc1fbedca21379c880.gif shadow_trap-explode.thumb.gif.5221fcb9a3a7cbfbda24304240d0ab55.gif

Shadow Prison - Pillars

Spoiler

shadow_pillar-idle1.thumb.gif.fabe1bbe88dbeba29647e2725209c6b3.gif shadow_pillar-idle2.thumb.gif.ef175f45b551ee8d40139145d2406205.gif shadow_pillar-idle3.gif.c35efcf281d88c1fda75a81773a13c7a.gifshadow_pillar-idle4.gif.453d372672fdd7768db83c8b691086b2.gif

Maxwell Main Menu Animation (Note: Large File)

Spoiler

dst_menu_waxwell.thumb.gif.042c25a428a9528d21979ac307a7cd50.gif

EDIT: And the compendium info...

Maxwell's Compendium Data

Spoiler

Birthday

October 22

Favorite Food

Lobster Dinner

The Nightmare King

The former king of the Nightmare Throne and an egomaniac to boot, Maxwell (who earned his name from his former stage persona "The Amazing Maxwell") was once the naive and unimposing "William Carter", a penniless man from London who dreamt of being a world-renowned magician. When fate put William in possession of the Codex Umbra, he felt true power for the first time in his life. Casting off his old, meek ways and fully embracing his new persona as a charismatic master of dark magic, Maxwell achieved fame and success, but still found himself hungering for more. As he delved deeper and deeper into his magical tome, immersing himself in its secrets, the dark knowledge within addled his mind and clouded his heart. In his final performance, Maxwell lost control of the shadow magic he'd used so brazenly and both he and his stage assistant Charlie were pulled into the Constant. There he would remain for what seemed like an eternity, tethered to the Nightmare Throne and compelled to ensnare more victims in the Constant's trap

He is still baffled by the thought that someone he tricked into the Constant could find it in their heart to set him free... well, baffled and annoyed really. He never liked owing a favor.

Edited by Instant-Noodles
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • GL Happy 1

Logging into this account for the first time ever JUST because I have to say this:

The Codex should not be a spellbook. This is a horrible idea. Especially if you keep the health requirement the way it is. The Codex is and will always be Maxwell's ''thing''. It works for characters like Wickerbottom because the books as a whole are her's, but to have Maxwell's Codex have durability just. It's the one way he accesses his main power. No. Abigail's flower doesn't have durability.

I like not having to set it down, keeps people from playing ""funny pranks"" by stealing it but the durability. No no no, absolutely not.

Also the shadow servants as they are are just a downgrade. Sure you don't have to use flint and fuel but they last such a paltry amount of time, worse than singleplayer even. They cover a tiny area and they only mine, chop, and dig. Things I know a lot of Maxwell mains like myself were thinking of, like collecting grass and twigs, and a longer lifespan would make setting them somewhere then leaving viable but as it is now? Literally just a nerf. A bad nerf.

Also the fact they have to bring the supplies TO you. At least let us put a chest down or something.

Edited by RatherRabbit
more thoughts
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

This, ummm.

This honestly isn't great.

The spells are cool, though I'm not sure how often I'd use them. 

The Hammerspace is genuinely fantastic. Though I wish it was shared between shards.

Duelists are still completely useless LMAO. Like, cool, I can get six of them now. Still die in a single hit to anything worth using them against.

Servants feel worse than before, despite the fact that this should have just been a buff on paper. Though we'd need more testing to be certain.

Even if they are better than before. That's only if they're harvesting things in a small area. Because they work in a specific area now, you can't; say. Have a pack of miners following you through the desert or rocky biome. They're really, only good for wood now. 

...And they're still outclassed by Bearger.

Oh, and you can't lock your sanity down to below 15% anymore sense all the shadows are temporary. 

I think that's all I have to say about him. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Magician's top hat being so universally useful, I'd probably say that this is the worst rework sense Willow's. Maybe even Winona's. It's just... really not good. 

Edited by Theukon-dos
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RatherRabbit said:

The Codex should not be a spellbook. This is a horrible idea. Especially if you keep the health requirement the way it is. The Codex is and will always be Maxwell's ''thing''. It works for characters like Wickerbottom because the books as a whole are her's, but to have Maxwell's Codex have durability just. It's the one way he accesses his main power. No. Abigail's flower doesn't have durability.

The Codex is refueled with nightmare fuel, you don't need to recraft it.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 3

8 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

This, ummm.

This honestly isn't great.

The spells are cool, though I'm not sure how often I'd use them. 

The Hammerspace is genuinely fantastic. Though I wish it was shared between shards.

Duelists are still completely useless LMAO. Like, cool, I can get six of them now. Still die in a single hit to anything worth using them against.

Servants feel worse than before, despite the fact that this should have just been a buff on paper. Though we'd need more testing to be certain.

Even if they are better than before. That's only if they're harvesting things in a small area. Because they work in a specific area now, you can't; say. Have a pack of miners following you through the desert or rocky biome. They're really, only good for wood now. 

...And they're still outclassed by Bearger.

Oh, and you can't lock your sanity down to below 15% anymore sense all the shadows are temporary. 

I think that's all I have to say about him. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Magician's top hat being so universally useful, I'd probably say that this is the worst rework sense Willow's. Maybe even Winona's. It's just... really not good. 

It definitely needs some work, but it does have some good stuff.

shadow walls seem really good. they even work on raid bosses. combines pretty well with Walter.

The fact that servants can now pick up items is also pretty nice, although I'd prefer if they stayed around a little longer.

Shadow duelists... honestly can't say how useful they are rn, but they aren't so costly now, so maybe there'll be at least some use for them?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Notecja said:

Btw.

Where is the epic buff spell from Wolfgang short? ;_;

Maxwell was not the one who enhanced Wolfgang in the train accident. He was knocked out. The shadows enhanced Wolfgang on their own to save their future puppet king.

• Wavey 8

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

The Codex is refueled with nightmare fuel, you don't need to recraft it.

Honestly that's still pretty bad. The Codex can no longer lock your sanity lower, so getting more nightmare fuel is going to be incredibly difficult. Just means the Codex can no longer sustain itself, which I suppose on paper sounds like a reasonable nerf, but when you add in the fight to get and keep your sanity low enough as well as taking on the nightmares as such a fragile character, PLUS the nerf to the clones?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Theukon-dos said:

Seems like an oversight given how it works...
Hey devs!

2 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

If there were an option for them to follow like before, the hammerspace hat would be quite a lot more useful for transferring gathering trip stuff back to people at base.
I'd like to see both, though. Maybe a magic command for active shadows to stick to a certain location, or a page from the Codex that does similar?

For my own feedback...
I like some of the concepts at play here. He could be good with iteration!
Two other things I think he really needs: healthier duelists, longer-lasting minions in general. Personally, I don't think there was anything wrong with the permanent followers.

When I made some Max suggestions years ago, I thought of castable commands. The idea still holds up, and the UI stuff would support these changes well!
Abbreviated version:

+ Summon Puppet
   - Summons a Shadow Puppet, alterable by command abilities.
   - Can be dispelled via punch.
   - By default, they do nothing but follow their summoner. means more damage)
  + Dispell Puppets
   - Max raises a hand with a shadowy effect toward the sky.
   - Kills all active Shadow Puppets.

+ Commands:
   - Each is targeted via a small AOE targeter, which changes the behavior of all Shadow Puppets in its range.
   - This allows for specific Puppets to do specific things, and for Bound Puppets to keep performing their assigned task.
  + Command: Reset
   - Puppets are respawned in their default state.
  + Command: Bind
   - Puppets set Max's current location as their central activity point.
   - Puppets return to that exact point whenever idle.
  + Command: Scatter
   - Puppets ignore their task and run from eachother/Max/everything, maintaining this behavior for 5 seconds.
   - Basically just a way to make them deaggro/stop working on an object, or easier to target for individual commands.
  + Command: Chop
   - Changes Puppets' type to Chopper.
  + Command: Shovel
   - Changes Puppets' type to Shoveler.
  + Command: Mine
   - Changes Puppets' type to Miner.
  + Command: Slay
   - BFG DIVIS
   - Changes Puppets' type to Duelist(/Slayer?).
   - Duelists will prioritize the leader's target, but will otherwise attack anything normally/easily aggressive toward players.
   - Creatures befriended by players will not be automatically targeted, unless currently aggroed toward a player.
  + Command: Guard
   - Changes Puppets's type to Guardian.
   - Sticks within a few feet of Maxwell/its return point, attacking anything normally/easily aggressive toward players that gets close.
   - Creatures befriended by players will not be automatically targeted, unless currently aggroed toward a player.

+ Shadow Leech
   - Reach a shadowed hand out toward the (valid) target and, with shadowy particles, they produce 1 Nightmare fuel.
   - If the target is a player, restore 10% Sanity if currently Insane; otherwise, the ability fails to activate or produce Fuel.
    + This requires the target to ACTUALLY be Insane; the state with red screen distortions and shadow creatures targeting the victim.
    + In other words, be below 15% Sanity.
    + This ability does still work in Enlightenment zones, under the same rules of 15% or less in the bar; provides an alternative source of NMF.
     - Yes, this can be used to troll. So can half the content of the game if you really want to. Cooperate or don't.
   - If the target is any type of shadow creature, deal 150 HP damage to them.
   - 120 Second Cooldown
  + Grip of Madness
   - (The update basically already added this between the panic and the pillars lol nice)
  + Dark Embrace
   - Summons a shield similar in appearance to the Thulecite crown, which absorbs all damage before armor, but breaks upon taking damage greater than its value (but doesn't bleed the leftover damage through; any attack striking the still-active shield will fail to directly damage the shielded prefab).
   - 75 Shield value
   - Can be used on anything with a Health component
   - Lasts 5 seconds
   - 30 Second Cooldown

• Like 5

Might be a good idea to remove shadow chester from the shared inventory. I use only shadow chester and that means I essentially don't get an extra inventory. :/ 

You might say that it's a way to transfer items to base but a shadow chest can already accomplish this right?

also really sad that wormwood now won't get the root chest.

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1