What turfs you would like?

As I recently watched one or two streams I noticed one thing: all bases look same. I don't mean the buildings or where they put crock pot area. Is all about turfing - everywhere same marble, carpets and scale floors. I can tell limited turfs leads at some point to limited creativity - only cobble roads are giving speed boots, only scale floor helps with fire barely, so in certain areas they are "must have" and in result many base areas look less impressive. Also some turfs cannot be used as decoration - they don't prevent regrowth and allow lureplats to spawn and mess around.

What is to know, there on one of QoL updates was turf rework. Among other things they extended turfs ID numbers to thousands and added sort of implements for turf skins. So probably (I hope) there might be bigger turf update. So I wonder what turfs we might want? Maybe just don't mention too much Hamlet or Shipwreked, don't think we get that content, so as well we might skip it. From my side I can think about reeds turf that looks like mats, or skins for carpets (blue carpets? Or red? Red could look insane!), cobblestone roads, or maybe royal looking scale floor? How about gold floor? Also we might look for different looks and patterns of wood floor - it could be so nice to have options of darker richer colours, or brighter, different shapes...
Nature Garden Screen Reed Mat 1.5x3 m – Luxury Garden PartyRiver Reed Mat - Ilalaimage.png.723fbdba5c1919c8626a291a17cd2c7b.pngimage.thumb.png.23be18fef1b8dbfadfc1dbecd77dc6af.pngAn Architect's Guide To: Wood Flooring - Architizer Journal

Red carpet, gothic carpet, rush tatami, dark wood boards, log floor, natural wood floor (for hippie Wormwood stuff), more civilized paved road for cobblestone (like old streets, not modern ones), beard rug, cookie cutter shell flooring, gothic stone flooring, dance dance revolution mat flooring (the second crossover), patterned wood flooring (like those fancy french looking patterns), bone flooring. 

Also, on top of (wishing to) having to have more wooden floor colours and patterns and such... I really do hope if turf skins get to happen... we get different coloured grass. There's nothing like having variation of natural terrain and I'd L O V E to have a purple one !

Or yknow, a new biome with these but turf skins would be the ultimate time saver to release more decoration content for anyone.

1 minute ago, ADM said:

more wooden floor colours and patterns and such..

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/947965409112494142/1002089545329803344/unknown.png

I tried doing such a thing a little while ago... I was planning to have ones based on different trees in the game + the abandoned ship, but I haven't really gotten past this mockup cause I wouldn't know how to do the coding side of things at all (I took this picture by entirely replacing wooden turf)

A Manure turf. With a constant -400 (real life) sanity aura but would be perfect for celebrating Gorehabba on. It could also be used to keep unwanted guests out of your base and provide some much needed privacy on crowded servers (your mileage might vary depending on how deranged your fellow players are).

I would like this texture from Hamlet:

Spoiler

61093461_.png.049f5edef4e8e7b60c08333809b76416.png

to become a turf (it's neither craftable, nor diggable even in Hamlet; digging just gives cut stones). Also I would like cultivated turf come to DST along with lawn one.

Ruin's turfs look great on surface, I'd like them to be vanilla feature and maybe have special effects to them:

Spoiler

195985379_.thumb.png.cc8d48e9d3a14dcddf6f6929853aa962.png

1140945494_.thumb.png.783289950cf07233147a90f3d4a763ea.png

18436218_.thumb.png.a38f490d3c606d5bc539ca5e98bbe713.png

1059978843_.thumb.png.e47ed75d6e816db2662c161dc7745756.png

1957680365_.thumb.png.0524847eb1fe64ce13d428e943f1c2c8.png

628733638_.thumb.png.9eabbfefe6ae44335190cf830c57579b.png

1357328795_.thumb.png.3b71ab03ca7ab3278f5be25b8fb312bf.png

But I also would like more turfs with special effect (like cobblestone and scaled flooring have): carpet from thick fur (or fur tufts) could have minor insulation effect, there could be turfs with positive/negative sanity drain applied to the ones standing on them, turf that promotes spread of fire, turf that partially glows in the dark (not enough to prevent Charlie from attack, only to see shadows of items and path in general), etc.

I'd say 90% of the time I see a base that uses carpet, it makes me shudder a bit. Then again, I'm also pickier than most about that turf.

There are a lot of really nice designs that use moon/moonshroom turf, cave rock, slime, archives...  

The key is good turf blending and wall combinations.

I want carpets, because I think turf can only go so far(though I'd still like more turfs!)

And by carpets, I mean these:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ed5024613c4220212c557887e4ccd6b7.png

These carpets are so much more interesting to me than more turf and I'd like at some point to see a loom structure that allows us to build a bunch of new carpets in this style. I feel this'd bring a new dynamic to base building because of their unique shapes, and combined with turf it'd look pretty awesome too.

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Would be cool on... top (lol?) of turf update but sometimes I really wish most things of this kind wouldn't block structure placement, it triggers me so bad.

12 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I want carpets, because I think turf can only go so far(though I'd still like more turfs!)

And by carpets, I mean these:

Hide contents

These carpets are so much more interesting to me than more turf and I'd like at some point to see a loom structure that allows us to build a bunch of new carpets in this style. I feel this'd bring a new dynamic to base building because of their unique shapes, and combined with turf it'd look pretty awesome too.

bearger carpet Q.Q

also where is the craftable archives turf scott promised? we are making ugly your fancy biome!!

18 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

I'd say 90% of the time I see a base that uses carpet, it makes me shudder a bit. Then again, I'm also pickier than most about that turf.

There are a lot of really nice designs that use moon/moonshroom turf, cave rock, slime, archives...  

The key is good turf blending and wall combinations.

Also yeah that is really true but the game isn't helping so much at make better decision than the classic woodenfloor, carpet and checker or such. It doesn't extend further away in term of color combined with a material type, you can't have something green and solid, and same with lots of other colors in one way or the other and I'm experiencing that almost everyday I want to build a room and browse all turf possibilities.
A bunch of game with decoration aspect of this proportion just have painting tools solving this deal with fewer tile diversity and I sometime wonder if that wouldn't be an option to explore ? But at this point I'm sure just more turf aimed toward easier decision and logic matching would be the go for. :)

3 hours ago, Hornete said:

This would be very cool! We can even have it like in Stardew Valley. Were you put in a cloth, and then a random object to get the respective carpet you want!

For instance; One cloth, one coal = coal carpet. Or one cloth, one gem = glimmering carpet.

And depending on how many pieces of cloth you put in, depends on how big the carpet will be. One cloth will give you a doormat, 5 cloths will give you a long hallway carpet etc.

Or you could just have it as a crafting station, but tbh they kinda drool

I really hope beard hair rugs become a thing in DST one day. As something that was added in DS for black lines for pixel art, I find it mildly ironic DST never received it (scaled turf can work, but it doesn’t really work too well IMO).

Archived