Wickerbottom Refresh Beta Open!

I like the new books but the Wickerbottom herself just feels like a tool thats required to access the books. The character unfortunatelly feels so bland to play as. Like, if the books were late game magic crafts thats avalible for everyone and Wickerbottom didn't existed at all, I feel like the game wouldn't be much different in gameplaywise. And I truely feel bad, because I would like for all characters to be unique and fun to play. I don't know if you will do any major gameplay changes to her at this point but would be actually incredible if you do. 

• Big Ups 1

6 hours ago, Ohan said:

Perhaps the grimoire should spawn a couple of greater gestalts that try to attack Wickerbottom for manipulating the moon :lol: i think that would be a neat immersion element actually. 

Wickerbottom has always been the survivor who’s able to manipulate the constant the most so its not exactly a new phenomenon. And who knows, maybe her animated short will justify her new found powers lorewise.

At the same time i obviously wouldnt mind if the grimoire didnt reset the moon cycle and just caused a temporary full moon for that night only. Since i do agree its a lil odd

Perhaps she can gain a new downside of shadow monsters being more aggressive towards her when she goes insane.  Her increasing ability to manipulate the Constant to her whims is really pissing Charlie off.

16 hours ago, Duck986 said:

thanks for making Wanda worse btw

Sorry for the agression but shut up. 

Wandas kit is still powerfull as hell. Wortox had a very weak kit and this change is a very good compensation for that. 

Edit: i actually feel bad for saying shut up. @Duck986

Please forgive me. 

Edited by bagherthegamer
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Big Ups 3

I know this doesn't benefit solo players (rip me) but could Horticulture, Expanded force Wormwood into Bloom? Something about that seems really neat and cute. Coming from a solo only Wormwood main at least.

I never liked Wickerbottom, no intention to play her but hopefully all of you have fun with her! Some of those books like really useful.

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

Not sure if I've seen anyone else say this yet but I'm also super psyched for her cinematic and to learn about her origins etc!

She's one of the last characters we don't have a backstory for right? Actually is there anyone else left we don't have a backstory for??

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

She's one of the last characters we don't have a backstory for right?

All I know is that once upon a time there was a library, and then the library burned down, the end

• Sanity 1

Loving everything about this beta, thanks Klei!
I used to be a Wickerbottom main before RWYS, but stopped playing her after the nerf to Applied Horticulture. I was a little worried this refresh would take mechanics away from her like what happened with Wolfgang and WX-78, but that wasn't the case at all. The new spells are fantastic, especially the rain book since we've been asking for a rain effect for so long now. But most importantly, thank you for not giving her a reading meter that would prevent you from using books. Spamming books has always been one of the best parts of Wickerbottom, and I couldn't be more glad that it's still a thing.

• Big Ups 1

If I were to suggest anything I would suggest that wickers full moon book not interfere with the worlds set moon cycle, so rather it makes the full moon occur and continues on to the next stage the world was to be at, as well as making it so if the new moon is the next cycle, either a strange event occurs or, the effect won't take place until after. 

I see this as necessary as it could be used to troll players with the desire to fight the shadow pieces, and perhaps it could have reduced effects on woodie, the poor lumber-goose-moose-beaver-jack could use a break. Perhaps an opportunity for woodie to happen upon something similar to wilbas jewelry?  

image.png

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ZeRoboButler said:

it could be used to troll players

Well tbh celestial altars have more trolling potential since once they're plopped in moon phase is locked until you defeat celestial champion
Other than that I agree what you said about interfering with moon cycles

4 hours ago, Man in the Mist said:

Perhaps she can gain a new downside of shadow monsters being more aggressive towards her when she goes insane.  Her increasing ability to manipulate the Constant to her whims is really pissing Charlie off.

Reading without sanity spawns shadows. 

3 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

Wandas kit is still powerfull as hell.

Compared to Wilson. 

45 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Well tbh celestial altars have more trolling potential since once they're plopped in moon phase is locked until you defeat celestial champion

Trolls aren't typically sticking around for a few years to complete a big complex questline. I don't think the book's trolling potential is a bad thing, though. It's just inherent to the book.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

whenever a trolling issue is brought up eveyrone forgest that torches exist, hammers exists.... anything can be used to troll, its not the item's fault, its the player's

although I do whole heartily agree with this statement, I suppose I just like the idea of it not interfering with the "natural cycle" of the world, and perhaps some respite for woodie's, I guess I just like the idea because if more attention is brought to the full moon then more potential good can come of talking about it. I.e. stuff like woodie's curse, glommer acquisition, moon based events and so on an so forth.

a nice mix of fun practicality and perhaps a consideration for other players and what they would like to do. Of course normally, I like to play with friends so most of these issues may not effect me as often, and although these issues may only affect a small number of people, I would still appreciate the consideration all the same.  

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

whenever a trolling issue is brought up eveyrone forgest that torches exist, hammers exists.... anything can be used to troll, its not the item's fault, its the player's

I literally said it's not an issue and that cc isn't trolly. You are the one who said cc is trolly. 

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

Certainly. But isn't this next scenario absolutely beautiful: random pub, mid-game, see in chat people planning to fight Shadow Chess-piecess the following night. Ensuing day: diligently read Lunar Grimoire. Night coming, put your glasses on and copiously go through the astute allocution of "gamer words" deluge chat morphs into, directed towards you, while checking who they are nominating for a flamboyant server kick - oh, what do you know: it's you! Fun times under the gentle silver disc of Lady Moon up there in the skies (or whatever said Eldritch abomination actually is).

13 hours ago, Parusoid said:

Pyrokinetics Explained - extinguishes fires in 3 tiles radius, gives fiery pen that acts like fire staff, durabilty depends on amount of fires extinguished, can be increased by extinguisihng more fires with book

You know I'd cry in Willow main, but I've cried for so many patches now my tear glands are producing powder

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Duck986 said:

thanks for making Wanda worse btw

She still has the Alarming Clock :>

1 hour ago, IAmV0id said:

Wanda mains can't take this level of abuse, please.

I beaten Klaus as Wanda without this cheese. It wasn't bad at all.

• Like 1

Hello dear, I rarely comment, let alone a patch, but when I see something extremely exaggerated I feel compelled to write. So far the only character that could travel from one point to another instantly was wanda and at a pretty reasonable cost, wait until winter to get the required item which is not exactly cheap (if you play with friends they line up to kill the walrus which is worse making it just another lategame item), also the fact that having the timepieces are also not exactly cheap or accessible for less advanced players, it is also static, as the only way to change the destination again you need another item to recollect it and go to the destination beforehand and a time cost as it has a 1 day cooldown.

Wortox now, right click.... Thank you.

The other changes already make the character very good and should stay, but the map jumping should be removed or it should be extremely expensive in souls so he can only do it 2 times asking for a minimum of 10 souls to do it, to say a quick example.

I urge you not to be intellectually dishonest and respond with factual arguments and not empty opinions, Thank you.

And sorry for my English.

• Like 1