Wickerbottom Refresh Beta Open!

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

no trips to moon island and ruins to craft, not bad

oh what i meant is the actual book lol . my suggestions would make it way better , would equalize to wanda's ability to tp to ruins or lunar

• Like 1

OMG!!! Not only Wickerbottom refresh but also a lot of love for other character!!! BTW, I need to know this, If Woby takes light hits means that she take the damage like a normal beefalo? I know that she doesn't have hp, but it feels weird that beefalos take the damage (not ranged damage) but not big Woby that is like a beefalo.

Edited by Memetan

7 minutes ago, Rafi. said:

Free Wortox i-frames ??? Wortox was so good already, is some people really enjoying playing absurdly powerful characters ?

Wortox can literally teleport across the entire map and you are worried about his useless dodge being able to happen twice in a row. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Scrimbles said:

So... wait, all Wicker got was more books?

The problem with Wicker was that she had no interesting mechanics to herself, she had craftable books sure, but they never felt core to her character.

This is like, the exact joke scenario I have been talking about for months.

Yeah... I'm quite upset too that she cannot teach the pigs to read and does not have a unique meter for when she runs out of mana

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wavey 1

i really like this rework, it makes wicker feel like she fits in with the rest of the cast in terms of utility, something she has sort of struggled with since all the other reworks has come out.

but i still have some small issues with the rework

1. woodie continues to suffer from constant full moons, he used to only suffer during late game in which moonstorms were active but now they can be early game and unpredictable. woodie really *really* needs a way to reliably deal with full moons with how often they appear compared to the past

2. having the first item that can summon rain be exclusive to wicker kinda sucks, the presence of rain is very important in a lot of situations and having control over it being locked behind wicker feels bad. maybe a new rain flute item? idk

• Like 25

I can’t play in beta sadly- but the changes to Wortox are questionable considering he already had ranged healing to the entire team of players (and now gains sanity while doing so) all from punching a few bees, or butterflies- they took a character I felt was already strong and made them even more strong..

And I feel like at this point with survival content nerfs and huge buffs to already powerful characters that it is very very clear to me that Klei is now trying to shift away from the challenging/survival aspects of what made Dont starve and it’s DLCs don’t starve.. DST has been changing and I guess maybe in hopes that they can draw in more players by making things less difficult??

I honestly don’t know.. but then you have to ask who are you still making the game for? The original fans who loved it for what it was, or the fans you’ve picked up along the way by changing the game to appeal to them more?

Wickerbottom being a librarian and all I expected would get more books, that just makes sense.. Now if only someone could tell me what each of those books do would be nice.

Also so far I have one small nitpick- I don’t like wickers Idle animation.. can it be changed so that she is holding a book in one hand while doing the shush animation with the other? Book can be opened like she’s reading it and annoyed your too loud, or closed and held closely to her chest like her most prized possession. Either way just the generic “Shush” is disappointing in my opinion.

Sad to see that no further tweaking to Moon Quay pirates and the Wonkey curse were made for this update though.. :( 

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Wortox can literally teleport across the entire map and you are worried about his useless dodge being able to happen twice in a row. 

I don't feel like I need to repeat something everyone as already said, but you do you.

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

the original fans already learned the game enough to considere wortox op or even useful...

That is not in the slightest what I meant, they gave me Day 1 Beefalo mounts which is basically Armor, Speed and Weapon all in one- but so far they have made no changes to add new content to accommodate for that Day 1 Beef companion. Sure I guess I can just NOT bell bond a Beefalo.. but once you know a feature is there it’s hard to overlook..

Other changes include but are not just limited to: Giving Wortox free soul hops, and teleporting around the map, Walter being able to take damage with Woby without being flung off her back (pretty sure bee allergy will be thankful for this one..)

And overall in general they’re making armor and resource crafting costs less- but aren’t adding any new mobs that are going to challenge me..

Why make cobblestone turf easy to access if you have no plans to add mobs I’ll need to run away from while using that faster turf?

I haven’t liked a lot of changes they’ve done to this game for awhile now because they’re making everything too easy without amping the world, it’s biomes, weather, A.I. etc up to 11.

Though Klaus no longer being too dumb to step over his loot stash is a nice change I guess lol.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, splorange said:

2. having the first item that can summon rain be exclusive to wicker kinda sucks, the presence of rain is very important in a lot of situations and having control over it being locked behind wicker feels bad. maybe a new rain flute item? idk

Yeah I think the utility of rain shouldn't be locked to just one character. I think it'd make sense though for such a process to be more involved for other players, via a structure or mob or etc, rather than just being a DIFFERENT item that spawns rain, though. This way Wickerbottom keeps the extreme convenience of it, while other characters aren't locked out and can put in the extra effort for the same results.

• Like 1

I think klei is damned if they do add stuff to wicker and damned if they don't. If they don't people will complain about how she will doesn't really have much to her character beyond her books. On the other hand, it is highly likely that any adds are going to not be entirely faithful to the original character, as not many new and unique mechanics to make people WANT to play wicker and only wicker are few.

• Like 1

New wicker books look awesome. Her entire thing was always “breaking” or rather forcing mechanics of the constant to do her bidding and i love that this has really been expanded upon. 

whatever u do klei do not backtrack on the rain or full moon books please lol. Although i wouldnt mind if a chunk of moonglass was added to the grimoire recipe in addition to the moon rock. 

I was hoping end is nigh would get changed somewhat though. After WX refresh it has lost its main and pretty much only purpose. 

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, splorange said:

i really like this rework, it makes wicker feel like she fits in with the rest of the cast in terms of utility, something she has sort of struggled with since all the other reworks has come out.

but i still have some small issues with the rework

1. woodie continues to suffer from constant full moons, he used to only suffer during late game in which moonstorms were active but now they can be early game and unpredictable. woodie really *really* needs a way to reliably deal with full moons with how often they appear compared to the past

as for the woodie issue i think they should bring back Wilba's silver necklace or something similar to it to prevent fullmoon's transformation.

and as for the rain , rain keeps happening as normal , but now she can toggle it off or on at will if people doesn't want to struggle with frog rains or summer scorch

• Like 1