Wickerbottom Refresh Beta Open!

In general, I'm happy with the rework, but I'm not happy that the book "The end is nigh" still cringey and useless, but this can be solved by creating a priority for the place where lightning strikes.

Something like:

Hostile Creature>Neutral Creature> Buildings>Players.

• Like 2

I think Wortox teleporting across the map is great but it should have some limits as hopping anywhere on the map with 20 souls is a bit too much. IMO, Wortox should be more about flexibility of teleportation as opposed to Wanda's fixed places, but he shouldn't get the best of both worlds without similar prep. And I don't really consider having the place mapped to be preparation at all lol.

So there could be maybe some sort of structure he builds that allows him to teleport within a specific radius of it in the map for cheaper than now while making longer distance travel outside of it more expensive or outright impossible depending on distance. So a Wortox player could ultimately cover the entirety of the map with a handful of such structures to be able to teleport anywhere. I think having it right off the bat just trivializes content, which isn't great design.

Wortox would still be better than Wanda at teleporting with similar prep as it would be cheap in terms of souls with the structures built and he would have the flexibility of choosing where to go as opposed to having to go to a fixed location.

• Like 1

Not bad. She had a pretty good gimmick and now she has a lot more varity! I would have added some weaknesses and one restriction to her books because they are her biggest strenght and many other characters' special traits have limits.

Soggy books should turn into wet goop.

Books have a chance to turn ito ashes (dropped from the inventory) when she takes fire damage.

She shouldn't be able to read books in the dark.

Maybe I am asking too much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

Sorry for the agression but shut up. 

Wandas kit is still powerfull as hell. Wortox had a very weak kit and this change is a very good compensation for that. 

Edit: i actually feel bad for saying shut up. @Duck986

Please forgive me. 

That's fine, I'm sorry too, that were my emotions, I now understand there's still a difference and disadvantages in Wortox's buff compared to Backtrek and Rift watches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 2

3 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

wortox fast traveling is so good it shouldnt be only for him

This helps solidify Wortox even more in his role as a support character. He can help others teleport as well, by soul hopping to a lazy deserter across the map.

Edited by cybers2001
  • Like 3
  • Potato Cup 1

Wicker is in serious need of a downside. Not been able to sleep the way it is now is pretty much a perk for her, as she can't be forced to sleep, she only gets groggy, therefore resisting beargers yawn and gestalts attacks.

She could have a damage penalty like Wendy, because she is an old lady.

She should need to have some sanity to read her books (the amount of sanity lost per book cold be lowered).

• Like 1

Reading through this thread (and any update thread) really makes it clear why most developers ignore their playerbase...

EVERYTHING is OP :wilson_enraged: or absolute boring TRASH :wilson_cry:

How about realize that your character perks and downsides arent meant to be the entire focus, rather some spice while you enjoy the actual game.

Stop comparing characters so directly, it is healthy to have a range of challenge characters and strong characters. I play enough public servers with majority Wendy and Wigfrids to know for a FACT that many of y'all only play characters that trivialize the game.

Leave the quirky and niche characters alone and go play Wigfrid you crybabies.

Spoiler

P.S. Give her the shipwrecked book that drops dragoon egg meteors but triggers when players ask "where base"

Edited by Lvb
  • Like 8
  • Happy Hazard 2
  • Shopcat 1
  • Potato Cup 2

1 hour ago, Lvb said:

Reading through this thread (and any update thread) really makes it clear why most developers ignore their playerbase...

especially after even bigger s***storm about Wolfgang rework, which was re-reworked during one of the QoL updates with some community suggestions :/

Edited by Duck986
  • Potato Cup 1

I feel pretty meh about this beta rework.

I agree with a lot of the other naysayers: there’s nothing unique about her.

Consider what made her so cool back in the day. She was the only character with her only craftables (right?). And frankly they were OP. And her downsides were trivial (remember the days when the devs thought that Wolfgang’s “fear of monsters” would be a downside for a character that kills everything twice as fast? heh). And she unlocked some farming potential.

Now though? Character-specific crafting is, to put it mildly, not a librarian-specific thing. And the meta with regards to farming things is much more advanced.

Books that summon mobs, put out fires, slows down mobs, and creates a light source are either not unique enough or don’t contribute to a unique character and playstyle. Wanda has damage output and teleportation: that’s unique enough IMO. Right now the librarian is more like the reworked WX: ooh, 1–3 speed modules, maybe a jukebox thingy for sanity, maybe a built-in thermal stone for summer…

These two characters just get some sundries perks locked behind crafting.

What would make me play Wickerbottom? Right now she’s just a smartass character (actually the Latin name for “smartass” is…) with some craftables.

So what would I do differently? You are all waiting with bated breath. I’m not sure, because it’s definitely harder to flesh out a “booksmart” character in a top-down perspective survivor game where the bulk of the player skill comes from knowing things about the game compared to for example a strongman.

Maybe make books that are both more niche use (for a unique playstyle) and lock them behind an experience system instead of crafting ingredients. She by default gets to craft her Journal for two papyrus which tracks all her learning goals. (The journal is solely for the player and has no effect on her Experience progress. It’s like the cookbook.) These are coded things like “defeat whatever great monster hides in the depths of the fabled labyrinth”. (Granted this a similar thing to  WX’s scanning of The Guardian, but this is just an example.) Then she gets that checked off if the Guardian is defeated in her presence. And the incentive to play as her and not to portal-switch to Wolfgang would be that Wolfgang would not get that Experience. And the challenge is that she starts as a weak character with real downsides: maybe she feels like a frail booksmart old lady which is surely going to die in the Constant, but as she gains more experience (unlocks more books) she grows more and more powerful.

Of course the experience things could be for anything and wouldn’t be limited to fighting things. Growing giant crops could be another goal.

On the other hand she doesn’t have to become super-powerful in the Wanda/Wolfgang sense: maybe her perks could be more focused around utility and combat support.

The cost of soulhopping across the map (using the minimap) shouldn’t be a linear function. It should at least be geometric.

Edited by abrocator

6 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

especially after even bigger s***storm about Wolfgang rework, which was re-reworked during one of the QoL updates with some community suggestions :/

My poor wolfy :wilson_cry:  Don't let me think about it...I have wortox now, yeah, i can overcome this.

22 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

I hated the Wolfgang rework, but with the QoL updates, actually like Wolfgang now overall more than I did before the first rework. I call that a win in my book.

23 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Ayo? THEY MADE TWEAKS TO OTHER CHARACTERS TOO

Like always lately

6 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

wortox fast traveling is so good it shouldnt be only for him

They should make the teleport with the purple gem thing not so hella expensive

22 hours ago, Pep61 said:

oh.... now that i think of it.... seems wickerbottom can't enjoy from winter's feast gifts anymore , since i used to rely on moon shrooms. welp a small cost ig

How did you survive the darkness though?

3 hours ago, UnknowX said:

Wicker is in serious need of a downside. Not been able to sleep the way it is now is pretty much a perk for her, as she can't be forced to sleep, she only gets groggy, therefore resisting beargers yawn and gestalts attacks.

She could have a damage penalty like Wendy, because she is an old lady.

She should need to have some sanity to read her books (the amount of sanity lost per book cold be lowered).

There have been some good suggestions about that.  Axxel's post about some of the ways the books could be vulnerable to damage is a good one.  Cheggf also had a good idea that if Wickerbottom tries to read a book without having the needed sanity she ends up summoning some very unhappy shadow critters.

currently wickerbottom have two type of books

some do something that another item is capable of doing but at a cheaper or more reliable cost, like light, sleep, rain putting out fires

the other is her unique component, books that do something no other item or character can do, create tentacles, bumble bees, spider web, summon birds.

problem with the first is that it feels useful in some aspects, but not nearly as unique, but the same can be said about WX perks

the second category is very unique but half of it is entirely unless a lot of prep is taken into consideration.

Compare that to the other old lady... a revive with the gimmick that will return the player to the original place of dead, sometimes good sometimes worse than the alternative

a conditional blink that requires some learn to use and it more restrictive than a lazy explorer and wortox soul hop, but also technically cheaper in the long run

strongest weapon in the game

rather expensive teleport that gets stronger the longer the server goes, once tusk become something you can spare that is

i dont think any of wanda's perks can be call useless, while some of wickerbottom books are so niche most people wont use them, but that doesnt make them back, it just means they are just that unique, and at least her books feel like the belong to her instead of a bunch of random stuff they added to walter

I have no idea how Klei thought Wartox was so bad / underwhelming to give him such ridiculous prices on fast traveling. the screenshot tells me im able to warp through a whole biome from spawn with just six souls on huge settings mind you. having to discover the map isn't that bad at all considering how it saves a bunch of time it saves and also being able to ovoid the dangers of swamps, splumonkeys and the ruins/labyrinth to reach the point of interest. all that malarkey combined with smaller buffs and lack of nerfs makes for a character who might as well be Jesus. if it stays like this I wouldn't be surprised to see lobbies consisting of only red horny imps.1332333562_Screenshot(30).thumb.png.ba3cbfb8332a9415d44d8516187be9dc.png

• Haha 2
  • Health 1