Wickerbottom Refresh Beta Open!

to everyone complaining wortox is op,

his best perks before were travelling quickly, and iframes.

wx78, wonkey, walter, or anyone with a beefalo can travel super fast at little to no cost. (some of them are slower than wortox, but i digress)

and his iframes can be copied by wanda with a backstep watch, (for free btw) or you could just learn to kite…

wortox is now perfectly balanced. (ok maybe slightly op but whatever)

• Haha 1

I'm wondering, what those roots in the Roadmap image must mean. We thought that each thing represented a character, gears represented WX, alchemy engine wilson etc. But now that we can finally see how Wickerbottom turned out she doesn't have anything like that...

• Wavey 1

33 minutes ago, xhyom said:

I'm wondering, what those roots in the Roadmap image must mean. We thought that each thing represented a character, gears represented WX, alchemy engine wilson etc. But now that we can finally see how Wickerbottom turned out she doesn't have anything like that...

She holds a book and looks at the full moon in the art. It might be a subtle hint for Lunar Grimoire. Vines probably hint at the content update. 

• Big Ups 1

12 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

She holds a book and looks at the full moon in the art. It might be a subtle hint for Lunar Grimoire. Vines probably hint at the content update. 

Plant friends for Wormwood :cheerful:

4 hours ago, SQilren said:

If wortox got such a rework I think that lazy deserter should also have it. It's nice if you can use it on the solo world. 

you can also try Lazy Lazy Deserter mod if you're on PC.

Edited by Duck986

Some of you are acting like Don't Starve is a competitive game which had its delicate power balance upset and now the whole scene is in shambles. Limited range teleportation isn't that useful, healing food does the job better than dropping souls and staying insane most of the time is annoying as is being attacked by pigs for daring to exist in close proximity to them. Making long range teleportation easier to use and sanity easier to regain aren't game breaking changes like some of you make them out to be.

• Like 3

I've been a main wicker for 4 years now and I like the direction this update is taking, while I think there are things that still need fixing, overall I like the way it looks.

image.png.fea5b8d6230288f2d28fc49412bd09ec.png

I always identified Wiker as an librarian, researcher, and accidental sorceress who was not schooled in magical lore, unlike Maxwell with his Umbra codex and knowledge of dark magic, more like an old woman with a curious mind than while exploring the constant , collect information in her books that due to the erratic behavior of the constant, give rise to spells as diverse as the variety of her own books.

and that is why I like to see how at the moment she is still the same sorceress with a thousand tricks up her sleeve. thanks klei :wickerbottomthanks:image.png.a9fa426b04dfb82b0072c54160055bfe.png

On the other hand, there are still some things that don't work quite right and I think there are other things that need to be integrated to make the update feel complete.

For example more interactions with the other survivors and their books since it seems to be a good strong point of the character, like the help given to Wx78 with lightning, or Wurt benefiting from reading some books.

Maybe make Wormwood bloom or heal by using Horticulture, Expanded

Or maybe Willow upping her sanity with Pyrokinetics Explained

Even a passive buff for Webber or her spiders with Overcoming Arachnophobia

They are just examples.

image.png.d3b76e5c9162470667b0d81cf1848e4f.png

As for the problems that I have found regarding the changes and things that already exist, one of the most important would be the price-benefit ratio that some books have, not all obviously, since some books are intended to be used many times to being able to make the tentacle traps, the krampus farm, or the new little bees that can be potential warriors (I am talking especially about the most powerful books) since some can become over-exploited to obtain exaggerated benefits compared to the ease to create them, for example the Lunar Grimoire, Lux Aeterna along with its extension where you get very cool ways to modify the game but at very low costs which could destabilize the game. Although it may be necessary to correct the price of the books, I think the fairest thing would be to keep the prices balanced where if you want to use any book you can do it for the correct cost.

image.png.f8b3509d839299d91ed1d73975cbadc6.png

Another factor that should perhaps be considered would be Maxwell's ability to use all of Wiker's books as it detracts from Wiker's potential as a unique character, feeling just like an extension of Maxwell.

Maybe deny him the books that generate light or those that spawn mobs.

image.png.c7f58266b68928ea7fe0c01838ff38da.png

Now going back to the problems that I found playing the beta, the most notorious would be the forced transformation of Woodie with the Lunar Grimoire since it is a horrible punishment for poor Woodie if it is used continuously, and on the other hand it would limit the use of said book. sometimes when no Woodie is found in the game which doesn't sound so fun,

Something that could be done to avoid this would be to make Woodie have a new craftable, perhaps another special figure with a fair price so that he can transform into a human without suffering the damage caused by the transformation or at least reduce the damage,

The creation of said book could also be changed to the lunar island structure to prevent it from being created so early in the game.

image.thumb.png.53bd219f1ddb003ecb442984107194ad.png

Another problem I found was the impossibility of controlling the aggressiveness of the bees, they attacked Wortox and Webber for being considered monsters, apart from the fact that when I left and entered my world they attacked me xd. It would be great to be able to use a whistle to calm them down like the one Webber uses on his spiders, or maybe an item that they follow like Chester and his eye bone so they can put them down somewhere safe for the others.

image.thumb.png.c9106dadac41b3219e9b0a6053c4f276.png

Something that is more of a whim that I would like to change would be the number of plants grown in Horticulture Expanded from 15 to 20. I would like to be able to have a taste of the old applied horticulturist even though it has a higher price.

Finally, I would like to apologize if something written here could be misunderstood, my English is very limited and I am using Google's translator to give my opinion, sorry. And thanks for taking the time to read this.

• Like 9
  • Health 2
  • Sanity 1

On 7/14/2022 at 6:23 PM, Pep61 said:

use 2 lureplants lol , still works that way, tested and confirmed

would be nice if Klei could also patch the lureplant/structure cheeses too

Also lots of people have talked about giving woodie a craftable to make him immune to transformation. imo that's just a bad idea. Letting a character overcome their only downside with a simple craftable removes the point of even having downsides. Also if people wanted to troll woodie, he would never know when to wear such a craftable even if he had it since they won't warn him. 

Edited by PetulantPansy

• Developer
6 hours ago, HansimUnglueck said:

Wanda is always tagged as hurt, so Wortox's heal will always count her towards the -2 per player threshold, effectiviely reducing his AOE heal. Dunno, if that is intended design.

This will be fixed in the next hotfix, thanks!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Health 2
  • Potato Cup 1

After testing Wickerbottom "re-work" Beta for a couple of hours, I found 3 pretty glaring problems with it, even though am generally satisfied by its direction, aka keeping Wicker's core intact as the "magical librarian" summoner & building on top of it with additional, optional, books (& the cabinet):

1) Lunar Grimoire's material cost for what it does - is too cheap in regards to the powerful effects it entails over all Constant; instead of 2 Moon Rocks perhaps should be 5 or even 10; maybe even 1-2x Cratered Moonrock(s); or 2x Moon Rocks + 2x Moon Shards + 2x Papyrus; or at least a cool-down should be present, let's say 5-10 days? Another direction is to keep its effects localized on one screen-distance?!

2) Woodie should have some form of protection against over-use of current Lunar Grimoire & Moon Storms (something aside going to Cave Shard or hiding in Bush Hat/Snurtle Shell Armor) - maybe a new Moon Idol (1x Moon Shard + 2x Ripe Stone Fruits) or Moon Amulet? Or solely eating a Ripe Stone Fruit before full moon ensures the bypass of his characteristic transformations?

3) Overcoming Arachnophobia needs to both last longer (at least 30s up to 1-2 minutes) and cover a wider area than current 2x2 turf spaces - 5x5, 6x6 perchance, to be meaningful in game strategies vs mob swarms & bosses. And perhaps have some effect on Webber, some minor buffs (speed bonus the most direct, but can be something related to his minions as well)?!

• Like 4

I really really really hope you guys are planning to rework how teleporting as wortox and lazy explorer works on console because even with these buffs it's just not worth playing as him for that. I know no matter what is changed he'll never be as good as pc where the mouse can instantly zip around the screen, but making it so the teleport location can be moved around like a cursor would be better anyways. It's too laggy to use it for kiting anyways, so at least we can use it for convinient transportation.

(For those unfamiliar with console, the cursor that dictates where he'll teleport is forced to orbit in a circle about two pitchfork tiles away from him, and just faces the way you face, so even without being laggy, if you wanted to kite with it you'd have to turn around to face away from the boss, then hop twice since some bosses have high enough range to hit you still. Same with lazy explorer which just means I never find it worth it to make and using any of its durability always seems like a waste.)

I am pretty upset that most the topics are all about Wortox when those are just a few minor tweaks- what should be being discussed is the current refresh Wickerbottom whom needs a little more time in the library before we’re done with this Chapter.

Please Klei, take in the feedback, regroup and make a better Wicker.. hopefully one that has a few character traits outside of the craftable books.

• Like 1

In these updates, we can learn that Woodie players' experience in the game is not so good. First of all, when the celestial storm event is turned on, the moon is full every night, and the new Woodie players who join the game will transform that night. After the transformation, they will be hungry and empty. This time wickerbottom added a new book to control the phase of the moon, which also caused the same problem. When other characters were cheering for the full moon, Woodie was abandoned by us and sad alone. The random transformation every eight minutes and the consumption of satiety make the game experience worse.

So I think the changes to Woodie are necessary.

My suggested idea is that since Woodie's transformation is over, she will become hungry. Then we can consider that satiety gives Woodie the strength to resist the transformation of the moon. This is a very direct and simple way

If the designer thinks more, he hopes to show that Woodie is a monster who has received the curse of the full moon. We can also try to add the rule that satiety can resist the transformation of the full moon. You can try to add a probability. For example, Woodie has a 50% probability to prevent transformation when she is full, add a new resistance animation, or just a simple prompt language.

As for the specific number of satiety, which can prevent transformation, I think designers will know better than me.

I don't want new gamers to forget Woodie in the future. The former fanatical woodcutter who watched the wood value to control his transformation.

Similarly, I also expect others to have better suggestions and ideas. Even if I don't often use Woodie like me, I can also express my own views and ideas. I firmly believe that Woodie's change is necessary.

• Like 2