Wickerbottom Refresh Beta Open!

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

then your mind would blow when you discover roasted tomatoes and lazy explorers

ah yes, let's compare 20 teleports for 20 bees and 20 teleporters for a pseudoscience station, walking cane and orange gems

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

then your mind would blow when you discover roasted tomatoes and lazy explorers

making those semi-redundant is pretty useful if you ask me

and it's far easier to farm souls than getting lazy explorers

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

his "only drawback" (which is false, he is also a monster) is one of the downsides that most work required, even more than warly's

I don't understand your point in there, but the fact that Wortox is considered a monster is such a big drawback that I always forget about it

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HugoM said:
  • Wortox will get slightly more hunger from eating souls.
  • Wortox will gain a small amount of sanity for being healed by a soul.

Solid Wortox changes right there!

21 minutes ago, HugoM said:

Klaus will now step over the Loot Stash.

buahahahahaha, good by cheese.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zobm said:

making those semi-redundant is pretty useful if you ask me

and it's far easier to farm souls than getting lazy explorers

ye but wilson wont need to farm as much food and will have also 19 teleportations. Wortox doesnt bring anything op

4 minutes ago, zobm said:

I don't understand your point in there, but the fact that Wortox is considered a monster is such a big drawback that I always forget about it

still a drawback

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mantispidae said:

To be fair, her thing really was her books- unless you somehow consider her sleep mechanic and being able to craft tier one the "bigger" part of her kit. (And the no forced sleep could certainly be considered a nice boon for things)

And while you certainly could put more on her base person, she never had the problem other characters with that flavor of mechanics had where you had no reason to pick that specific character in order to access their mechanics (The 'issue' that Winona and Warly have) if you want to use the books, you play Wicker.

It will come down to exactly how interesting the books are, but they did add quiet a few, so I hope the range of things they can do is at least interesting and makes Wicker effectively some sort of book-mage. I don't know what you could really do to Wicker herself as an old lady librarian that wouldn't feel like a random addition just to try and make her play unique when she really doesn't have any reason to. 

Wicker is considered an incredibly boring character, and from what I gather from talking to people (and playing her as my old Main), is that she lacks any core mechanic, or trait, or design that makes her feel fun and unique to play. If Klei never made Wickerbottom, and they simply added the books (with maybe a different visual/context) as magic tab items, nothing would feel missing, nothing would feel off. It would just be a new set of generic use magic items.

The entirety of what makes Wicker fun is her ability to have overpowered spells. When you take that away, people seem to lose all interest. I've seen first hand what happens, not only from my mods but from Klei nerfing her last year.

It's like when a horror movie isn't scary, it needs to have something else to make it interesting, be that story, or visuals, direction, etc.

There are a thousand ways to make a librarian/cataloguer/researcher character interesting, but they decided to do nothing with that, and added more of what makes her problematic.

edit: And don't get me wrong, I like her new books! They are very interesting and fun to use! But that doesn't mean Wicker shouldn't have gotten something that expanded her design. It's a big missed opportunity.

33 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Because a bunch of interesting books that actually do things that you can think about are so much more bland than "Wilson but number bigger" like so much of the roster. If they did anything other than add books it would just ruin her, that's the joke scenario. 

Where in the world did I suggest she should be MORE boring?

Edited by Scrimbles
  • Like 27
  • Big Ups 1

6 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

ah yes, let's compare 20 teleports for 20 bees and 20 teleporters for a pseudoscience station, walking cane and orange gems

lets also compare having to farm x2 food and healing than other characters while a wilson can waste orange gems since they are common

wortox is only strong for people that doesnt have enough experience which is a good design but nothing op the same way that wanda is trash in noob hands but god like in expert hands

• Like 3
  • Sanity 1

I genuinely don't understand why people are still telling Wortox is overpowered. I mean is it because he saves so much time with his souls?

An Experienced Wolfgang player always beats the game faster than any caracter. This includes soul hopping or other things. So whats the problem with Wortox?

Edited by mkemal23
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Sanity 1

image.thumb.png.5ff66f0ca300e217e255d8eb3b93c98d.png

there is a new queen in the town

(their pathfinding is buggy)

edit: you shouldnt be able to hit them with F but with ctrl+click like other followers

47 minutes ago, Pep61 said:

Can we get a book that toggles rain on and off ? 

she got that

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 3

This rework kind a reminds me of the Wigfrid rework, wich I also was a bit dissapointed with.

Don't get me wrong I love all of the work done for this game but this rework feels so much weaker than most reworks. I was expecting new books of course, but I wish there was also some unique changes to the character itself other than the few craftables.

Edited by Mert_TR
  • Like 1

i loved the beta just by the fact wicker is still wicker, thx for not kidnapping her and changing for someone else that just looks like wicker.

Now i will spend the rest of the day testing the new books.

I am sorry for being greedy, but can wortox have the limit of souls like 25 instead of 20 since there were some changes to his abilities.

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

ye but wilson wont need to farm as much food and will have also 19 teleportations. Wortox doesnt bring anything op

food isn't much of a problem if you have something like stone fruit farm and bunny spider farm

basically infinite pierogies and bacon n' eggs

Wortox being able to freely heal huge amounts of HP and having lazy explorer for killing butterflies in very early game is something I would consider op. He's basically able to solo any raid boss early, not that other characters can't do that, he's just having an easier time. Also, being able to heal not only yourself but your entire team is really good. I know that healing food exists, but as I said, it can make a lot of things easier

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

still a drawback

well yes, but no 

it really doesn't alter the game in any way if you're experienced, it only gives you that moment of realisation "oh right, pigs and bunnies don't like Wortox". You don't really make a base near pigs unless you're building a pig farm, and bunnies are aggressive towards you 90% of the time since all you basically need to eat is meat (bacon, honey ham, meatballs, pierogies, etc.), so they're non-existent issue 

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wortox is only strong for people that doesnt have enough experience which is a good design but nothing op the same way that wanda is trash in noob hands but god like in expert hands

Wortox isn't really good for people with little experience tbh, his constant hunger can cause a lot of pain for not experienced players. The same goes for being insane, which is how you'll be playing most of the time as him. For players that know the game well sanity monsters are not a big deal, but for someone who struggles it may cause some problems

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you want to make it the ultimate bookworm godess , imagine if the encyclopedia book could work as a "brain of thought" book straight up form shipwrecked. but making it a high cost book (-100 sanity per use , 3 uses ) and still being locked behind book usages rather than permanently unlocking it. 

not as creative but unlocking it you still require the resources.(this means pseudo , lunar and events crafts avail with the book)

and maybe locking it to have the actual sanity to consume it ?

that's a real encyclopedia this really would need a balance but imagine the possibilities

3 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Btw note that she didn't receive a new meter like most survivors before:wilson_sneaky:

heh imagine an insomnia meter , crafting every book gives you insomnia and the more insomnia, the more passive sanity loss you get , or something LMFAO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pep61 said:

If you want to make it the ultimate bookworm godess , imagine if the encyclopedia book could work as a "brain of thought" book straight up form shipwrecked. but making it a high cost book (-100 sanity per use , 3 uses ) and still being locked behind book usages rather than permanently unlocking it. 

that is what i though when i used it but was disappointed to see that isnt like the brain of thought

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that is what i though when i used it but was disappointed to see that isnt like the brain of thought

ooof , i mean would make sense that way. but so far it's a niche and very limited use book

After careful consideration of all her new books... I have to agree she still seems kind of bland. Lmao :lol:

Kind of a step backwards from what I saw with the Wx-78 rework.

(No meters please)

I would have liked to see something more akin to Scribblenauts. Where you have one book and writing it makes things happen. So her perks feel less detached from herself. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Big Ups 4