Wanda info video

22 minutes ago, Dextops said:

no healing is a massive downside and your health constantly going down furthers this

No healing isn't much of a downside when death is meaningless due to your infinite use LGA that doesn't even give rez sickness. She also starts with an infinite use heal on a 2 minute cooldown, so her health draining over time isn't much of a downside.

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

No healing isn't much of a downside when death is meaningless due to your infinite use LGA that doesn't even give rez sickness. She also starts with an infinite use heal on a 2 minute cooldown, so her health draining over time isn't much of a downside.

This is my biggest issue with her design atm. Debuffs that are [directly] countered by their buffs are extremely difficult to balance, and I've yet to see if Wanda manages to pull it off well.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

She is interesting, that's for sure; but seems more like a Princess Musha 2.0 Steam Workshop OP mod. Kinda puts to shame the other characters in enough departments. At least in a numerical and ideal conditions environment. Remains to be seen how she fairs the madness of pubs, but clearly is superior to rest of cast. And I don't know how to feel about this.. and general direction of DST.

To me she doesn't feel like a modded character so much. Feels a little like a counterpart to wickerbottom like how wigfrid and wolfgang are, but with mechanics more resembling Wormwood, Walter and Wortox, I know that doesn't really make sense, but just stick with the simile. Conceptually and aesthetically, definitely well-fitting into Don't Starve theme and atmosphere, more so than can be said about some other characters. *cough*Wurt should be axed*cough* excuse my hot take :D

Just because there's a modded character with the same or similar concept doesn't mean she is automatically a worse character as a concept though. Don't see how such a mod being there would reasonably reinforce that notion.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the "general direction of DST"?

Just now, Zeklo said:

This is my biggest issue with her design atm. Debuffs that are [directly] countered by their buffs are extremely difficult to balance, and I've yet to see if Wanda manages to pull it off well.

Actually that's a very valid criticism. I have had this problem with Wendy in terms of her mechanics. The inability to hit as hard as other players is directly negated by Abigail being a damage powerhouse, meaning that sure, different way to play the character I guess, but the drawback is nullified by a buff, so you kind of have a different equilibrium or are left with extra buffs overall.

Also Wanda's description, while looking linguistically clever, describes nothing about her traits clearly. For all I could tell when pausing the video at that description, it could be describing the exact same thing in 3 different ways. Did not get the impression that it's describing her using clocks to manipulate time and space or her constant aging being a core penalty. I suppose better trait descriptions could be:

* Can manipulate time and space

* Ages over time

* As capable as her age allows

To be fair, the aging trait and the age affecting what she can do and how well can be seen as one and the same anyway, so realistically you could shorten the description to just 2 traits.

5 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Yeah she looks like a really interesting character but all of her complexities are thrown out the window when she has an item that makes it impossible for her to lose since the cooldown on it is short enough to keep preventing the world from resetting. I think the infinite use LGA should have a long cooldown (10, 15, maybe even 20 days), the iframe watch could probably do with a longer cooldown on it, and either her weapon's damage should be toned down to not be absolutely bonkers or she should become much harder to play to compensate for the very high damage output (all health clocks share cooldowns and/or wearing armor doesn't do anything).

Other than that she looks fun. Her biggest issue by far is the infinite life watch.

56 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

true forgot about that
tbh i don't see this getting into the final release everything else about her is pretty balanced

Wormwood and Wanda get out of the portal together. Wormwood kills himself by crafting living logs, Wanda then grabs the logs and breaks his bones to craft immortality.

Wanda perks:
- Endless Mode
- Craftable Wormholes
- Wolfgang
- Wigfrid
- Wortox

I guess Klei got tired of the Wolfgang master race vs Wigfrid days

I think Wanda has awesome mechanical design, great theming, and fun abilities.

From a design perspective, 10/10.

From a numbers/tuning perspective, she is absurdly overpowered to a bizarre degree.

She’s a time witch with awesome space/time magic.  No problem here, love it.

She uses an alternative health system that gives her additional perks and boosted damage with magic items when close to death.  Neat, people have been wanting a glass cannon character.

She has a weapon that does 81 base damage, and even unfueled with no age damage boost deals fresh hambat damage at longer than normal range… why does she have this at all?

Dark swords were the upper limit on weapon damage for years, and I don’t see why a character with innate damage boosts also needs a weapon that does significantly higher damage than any other weapon in the game.

Also, the cooldown on her self-revive being 2 minutes makes it impossible to lose the world even if you play very badly.  There’s no need for it to be that low.

I’d give the balance a 2/10 because she doesn’t 1 shot bosses or have actual godmode.

My biggest issue with her is the overpowered weapon. If it was my choice i'd remove it completely. Or lower the damage and make it unusable without fuel.

Also the reviving item could have longer cooldown and durability maybe.

Other than that, I like the mechanics and I think I'll appreciate her as the new character. Right now, i kind of feel like she'd make other characters obsolete for me because of the teleport thing. Can't wait for testing her out.

So, my thoughts on the Wanda character after seeing so many ambassadors posted:

• She doesn't have a use for healing items / healing foods. So, a lot of useful foods like pierogi and trail mix are made obsolete?
  • She can use her Ageless Watches to regain 'health' in age, and multiple watches have their own respective timers, but this will take up a massive amount of inventory slots. Yikes.
    • Edit: As pointed out by Lakhnish Monster, any watches on cooldown are unable to be deconstructed. Thus, the only method is to make multiple watches to spam 'heal' faster.
    • Edit 2: Turns out this point was mentioned in Rhovious' video even earlier today, just to give credit to whoever discovers this earlier based on their Youtube post.
  • Her crafts are mostly on the expensive side, and even requiring to rush ruins / ancient archives as well as tier 2 magic tab for some crafts.
  • Only Wanda can use her own crafts, so her rifts and reviving watches are technically unusable for other characters / a solo player switching to other characters.
  • Her Alarming Clock pseudo-ranged weapon boasts even higher base damage than a Dark Sword / Glass Cutter. This will definitely attract more players to opt for her and depreciate the perks of other fighter-like characters like Wolfgang / Wigfrid, since Wanda is the only one able to use this weapon.
  • Having base sanity that is fairly high, Wanda may have a hard time farming for nightmare fuel (but still easier than Maxwell).
  • The "high risk, high reward" play is a fun upgrade to veterans who want to challenge themselves more.

Lakhnish Monster's video covers really in-depth information, and I thank him for clearing some thoughts of mine while making this post.

I have only one main question, did Klei got rid of all QA employees? Or they think ambassadors will do just fine as an ersatz QA team?

And a small one, why does most other characters have a main definitive strong gimmick over which all the gameplay is revolving and now we get that abomination with infinite revive, infinite weapon, nearly infinite heal (use multiple clocks, not like you need any slits for multiple dark swords), blink (a bit awkward but quite usable), great utility skill with wormholes  (even between shards, which is awesome), and she can smack 428 damage with goat jelly at a cost of few fuels?

Come on. Something has to go on the chopping block. Don't they read horrible stories about game developers and power creep that kills games?

P.S.: Watching preview streams was laughable. No obvious critique while killing Bearger in 15 hits with glee. xD

I live the idea, but the execution on the glass canon ability, AND the wormhole mechanics is a lot for one character considering all Wurt gets are Merms...:sad:

Seriously, why does she have bonus dark sword damage (Something Maxwell would make more sense having than her). Why does her whip at low damage rival the dark sword, and can't break?

Idk, She seems like alot, guess I'll just have to play her to make my final note...

Uhhh.. Okay, she seemed "strong" while listening to streams. But reading and watching the info vid? 

Her goal is to make every other character obsolete. No need to continue the reworks if she releases in this state and stays like this. The other characters simply won't be used anymore because they pale in the shadow of Wanda.

I don't need to point out what everyone else already has. Just adding my voice to the crowd of "So OP". A wee bit of tuning here, perhaps? Maybe more than a wee bit?

The Alarming Clock weapon does need tuning for sure, but what people (who haven't played yet) need to keep in mind is that the massive damage not only is only slightly higher than a mighty Wolfgang, but only comes in when Wanda is:

• At the equivalent of 35 health or lower
  • With her health still trickling down every 40 seconds
  • With only one means of healing

That weapon also has longer range and can stun lock some enemies, but attacks slightly slower (I saw someone unable to attack Deerclops three times before kiting with it.) Again, I agree it needs nerfing, but do keep all of that in mind before asking for it to be nerfed into oblivion.

So to say she is a Wolfgang + whatever is to ignore that Wolfgang's strength comes in for way cheaper, way safer, and with a speed boost. Gotta change that argument, please.

11 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

At the equivalent of 35 health or lower

That can stretch pretty far though i imagine with a night armor on. Since in her old age she suffers less sanity drain from using/holding magic items anyway. (I know from yt content that thats the case for dark sword but i havent seen anyone confirm it for night armor yet but id assume so) if it does work like that she has the potential to be a very NM-fuel hungry character between her wrecking ball weapon and night armors. 

I agree with what you said though. 

Still i am a lil salty on wicker’s and especially maxwell’s behalf :roll:. Max was always the shadow mage glass cannon in my eyes but i guess not in the eyes of the devs since wanda fullfils that archetype waaaaay better.

Cant wait to see what they have planned for wicker and max refresh :shock: (maybe a melee book for wick made out of marble that deals 200 dmg at 0 sanity :lol:)

Archived