what are your thoughts about new islands and a snow island?

35 minutes ago, Pedrohjj said:

I read somewhere that in the next update, Klei will implement new islands and a snow one, what do you like to see?

They never said anything about islands. They said they were adding a new ocean biome that has water spiders and is chilly.

As long as orcas that function as water beefalo are added im fine with whatever they do. imo this is a good fix to lategame sailing being painfully slow, plus being able to ride orcas sounds fun

2-3 more new islands, yes. Snow island? Hmm, not so sure about that.

13 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

A snow island with mactusk villages. That would be amazing.

Why? Since, most times after 1st Winter, you won't need - even on pubs - to hunt MacT ever again (except when new players come, ones that do stick for long play-sessions, not randoms popping in-and-out like shrooms after rain; as for recurrent AFw kills, except personal servers, you won't need more than 1-3 of them per server iteration seeing that most pubs out there, either community moderated or wild shenanigans spots, won't go much past 1-2k - well, Endless ones; Survival rarely goes past 1 in-game year). What would be the functional/useful reason to have MacTs all-year-round? In my view would be a waste of a thematic island on rehashed content without solid ground.

5 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

2-3 more new islands, yes. Snow island? Hmm, not so sure about that.

Why? Since, most times after 1st Winter, you won't need - even on pubs - to hunt MacT ever again (except when new players come, ones that do stick for long play-sessions, not randoms popping in-and-out like shrooms after rain; as for recurrent AFw kills, except personal servers, you won't need more than 1-3 of them per server iteration seeing that most pubs out there, either community moderated or wild shenanigans spots, won't go much past 1-2k - well, Endless ones; Survival rarely goes past 1 in-game year). What would be the functional/useful reason to have MacTs all-year-round? In my view would be a waste of a thematic island on rehashed content without solid ground.

Maybe not hostile mactusk village, since the one on the mainland is clearly a hunting camp, but at that point we'd be dipping into hamlet territory. im pretty sure someone mentioned a glacier biome that isnt really an island and more so an area in the ocean with glaciers and other ice/snow related things, and that sounds cool

They specified "In couple places in the ocean" so I have a strong feeling it's gonna be frozen polar biomes and maybe even use Compass directions and predictably be generated on north and south ends of the map. I think it's a splendid idea and I cant wait to see how it turns out.

It'd be good if they address address the world generation and the edges of the world since sometimes they generate so close to each other, making circumnavigating the world with boat very risky without sinking it or even impossible.

2 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

They specified "In couple places in the ocean" so I have a strong feeling it's gonna be frozen polar biomes and maybe even use Compass directions and predictably be generated on north and south ends of the map. I think it's a splendid idea and I cant wait to see how it turns out.

It'd be good if they address address the world generation and the edges of the world since sometimes they generate so close to each other, making circumnavigating the world with boat very risky without sinking it or even impossible.

Half my ocean is cut off by a forest biome, lol

I think new islands are distractions from the problem with ocean content, in that, its not very enjoyable for many of us. The promise of good loot doesn't make boats more fun, its the interactions and gameplay. Otherwise the sea will just be an annoying barrier that everyone wants to skip through before they get to the good stuff. That's not to say they're bad idea though, I really like isolated areas for niche or rare things, and islands are a really cool way of doing that. Plus they can add much more extreme things that aren't really easy to implement on the mainland, like enlightenment and extremely destructive forces. 

I don’t know but after playing and 100 completing CARTO I am going to be severely disappointed in Klei if they do not ever actually deliver biomes as different as the ones found in CARTO.

Yes CARTO is a short game, and Yes no where near filled with content like DST- But sliding across Ice almost uncontrollably is a No Brainer thing that should happen..

It happens in CARTO and if we’re getting “Ice Sheets” I want new actual gameplay mechanics involved like skidding across its surface, rather than just being some snowy biome that plays much the same as when Winter Season is in play.

I'm all for new islands and content, I just would like it to be well incentivized.

I'm not saying this for the whole of ROT, but let's just say that certain aspects of it have kinda been left behind in my eyes because I felt a lack of incentive to really invest in it. I'll keep it mostly ambiguous on what's NOT incentivized to prevent a derail of the discussion into "What in ROT isn't properly incentivized?", but I will give some ideas on how new islands could be incentivized.

Firstly, you could take the direction that both the ruins and lunar island take: Loot.

If the island (or any new area for that matter) can promise something that is better than what you can get from the surface mainland, then you've taken one step to properly incentivize at least a few trips. Examples of well incentivized loot in ROT/Ruins include things which vary from barnacles to thulecite crowns to stone fruit to glass cutters. Even if loot is only situationally better, there would still be incentive for players to interact with the new area, but the area should at least try make the player interact with it Multiple Times.

Secondly, you can take the direction of the area posing a threat to the survivors.

This kind of incentive is a bit few and far between in the DS series, but it does exist. Examples of this mechanic include: the Antlion, the Volcano of Snackrifice from SW, and the aporkalypse calendar from Hamlet. Not only do these examples incentivize a visit to their area, but they often incentivize repeat visits as well (not as much in antlion's case, but you get the point). The weak part of this kind of incentive is that the threat tends to be a bit boring, unchanging, and uninteresting (A ticking timer that needs to be "appeased"). I personally believe that a well executed version of threatening incentive would be a welcome change; something that requires you to "deal with it", but it doesn't become annoying or tedious. However, I'm afraid that DS/T's playerbase wouldn't want any aspect of the game to pose threat to a player's prolonged survival, judging from the current direction of updates and feedback from the community on said updates.

Personally, I think a well designed new area would use a combination of both kinds of incentives. Loot that is better than what you can get from the mainland, even if situationally (as long as those situations are not very VERY few), and the area should pose a threat to the extended survival of the main cast, provoking them into interacting with it, instead of only being a threat once they set foot there.

Incentives... Incentives....

3 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I hope the new biome only appears durring winter.

If it's something along the lines of 'oh this island is here all year round and constantly has negative temperature' I'll be disappointed

Why? We really don't need more winter stuff.

Archived