what are your thoughts about new islands and a snow island?

15 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

I think new islands are distractions from the problem with ocean content, in that, its not very enjoyable for many of us. The promise of good loot doesn't make boats more fun, its the interactions and gameplay. Otherwise the sea will just be an annoying barrier that everyone wants to skip through before they get to the good stuff. That's not to say they're bad idea though, I really like isolated areas for niche or rare things, and islands are a really cool way of doing that. Plus they can add much more extreme things that aren't really easy to implement on the mainland, like enlightenment and extremely destructive forces. 

What are your problems with boats? I personally think they're pretty darn fun. My problem with the ocean has always been the lack of content, and hey! We're getting some more of that, but I'm curious the problems you have with boats.

17 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I hope the new biome only appears durring winter.

nah i don't like this idea because what would happen to structures on the ice berg my idea would have it so there are blizzards during winter and during then snow piles will grow on machines and in other seasons the place is habitable the blizzard effect would work the same like moonstorm and sand storm except fashion goggles will be enough for good sight  

6 hours ago, Hornete said:

What are your problems with boats? I personally think they're pretty darn fun. My problem with the ocean has always been the lack of content, and hey! We're getting some more of that, but I'm curious the problems you have with boats.

Very grindy to get started with a proper boat (and patches!), and I just don't find fishing particularly interesting, so I'm not left with much to do.

Barnacles are on the other side of the map, and aren't really needed so I don't really interact with them, and the Gnarwals and RockJaws have come in so few numbers (or I'm just mega unlucky/lucky) that I've only ever seen one Gnarwal, and I assembled the Lunar altar before I found a single rockjaw.

The cookie cutter biome with all the salt is pretty cool though, I appreciate how they affect the player and their boat, whilst not damaging either in any non-preventable way, the only limitation is that I don't use salt and cookie cutter caps enough to keep returning to it. Now that's a little contradictory to my previous statement that "good loot won't solve this". What I mean really is that "good loot isn't enough, the journey should be enjoyable as well" so apologies for that.

The boats being slow isn't necessarily a problem, but their maneuverability is shocking, so I just find myself constantly watching my character play an animation for 6 whole seconds or just waiting to get to the destination, which leaves me so bored. I also just heard a lot of complaints at ocean content which reinforced my mindset. I don't hate it, I just find it a bit dull. Hope that answers your question. 

Now for silly idea: If you could have a steering wheel that controlled the angular velocity of the sail instead of the position (so it would continue turning indefinitely when you let go of it) that would be really awesome so you could kinda make the ship move whilst doing something else. 

Edit: Learned to paragraph. 

4 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

Very grindy to get started with a proper boat (and patches!), and I just don't find fishing particularly interesting, so I'm not left with much to do. Barnacles are on the other side of the map, and aren't really needed so I don't really interact with them, and the Gnarwals and RockJaws have come in so few numbers (or I'm just mega unlucky/lucky) that I've only ever seen one Gnarwal, and I assembled the Lunar altar before I found a single rockjaw. The cookie cutter biome with all the salt is pretty cool though, I appreciate how they affect the player and their boat, whilst not damaging either in any non-preventable way, the only limitation is that I don't use salt and cookie cutter caps enough to keep returning to it. Now that's a little contradictory to my previous statement that "good loot won't solve this". What I mean really is that "good loot isn't enough, the journey should be enjoyable as well" so apologies for that. The boats being slow isn't necessarily a problem, but their maneuverability is shocking, so I'm just find myself constantly watching my character play an animation for 6 whole seconds or just waiting to get to the destination, which leaves me so bored. I also just heard a lot of complaints at ocean content which reinforced my mindset. I don't hate it, I just find it a bit dull. Hope that answers your question. 

Now for silly idea: If you could have a steering wheel that controlled the angular velocity of the sail instead of the position (so it would continue turning indefinitely when you let go of it) that would be really awesome so you could kinda make the ship move whilst doing something else. 

Ah well that's fair enough, I personally enjoy a lot of the content you mentioned and I never found any trouble with getting a proper boat up, I like taking the time to make my boat and most of the time it's going to be the only boat I make for the majority of my gameplay so I don't mind the highish starting cost. I agree about gnarwails, finding them can be so tedious, I would like the trident a lot if it wasn't for the 3 horn cost of the weapon.

8 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

Very grindy to get started with a proper boat (and patches!), and I just don't find fishing particularly interesting, so I'm not left with much to do. Barnacles are on the other side of the map, and aren't really needed so I don't really interact with them, and the Gnarwals and RockJaws have come in so few numbers (or I'm just mega unlucky/lucky) that I've only ever seen one Gnarwal, and I assembled the Lunar altar before I found a single rockjaw. The cookie cutter biome with all the salt is pretty cool though, I appreciate how they affect the player and their boat, whilst not damaging either in any non-preventable way, the only limitation is that I don't use salt and cookie cutter caps enough to keep returning to it. Now that's a little contradictory to my previous statement that "good loot won't solve this". What I mean really is that "good loot isn't enough, the journey should be enjoyable as well" so apologies for that. The boats being slow isn't necessarily a problem, but their maneuverability is shocking, so I'm just find myself constantly watching my character play an animation for 6 whole seconds or just waiting to get to the destination, which leaves me so bored. I also just heard a lot of complaints at ocean content which reinforced my mindset. I don't hate it, I just find it a bit dull. Hope that answers your question. 

Not gonna lie, the neglect displayed here towards the Enter key is throwing me off a bit, but I think I agree with a lot of this.

I am generally fine with the way the boat controls and I think most of the loot is pretty decent, if you view it in a vaccum. But the way to get it involves challenges that do not work well with boats that are so slow to turn and so hard to maneuver.

Take Salt Crystals for example. I think fighting off the Cookie Cutters is fairly easy and I'm fine with a bit of slow paddling to go from Salt Stack to Salt Stack to mine the salt. But then the stack never completely disappears, so you now have to take your maneuverability-deficient boat on a slow, slow paddling course around the Brine Shoal to get to the other side of the Salt Stack and collect the salt crystal you just mined and that just about makes it all 10 times more tedious and time consuming that it should be.

And then there's Barnacles, which are an amazing food, except for the part where you have to gather it. Slow boats do not work well with enemies that attack from a range, have herd mentality and deal Dark Sword damage with AoE + a chance to cause a leak. Trying to take Sea Weeds head on is practically a lost cause, unless you are willing to waste tons of armor and boat patches to tank them. So you are left waiting for night, to paddle / slowly sail your way from Sea Weed to Sea Weed and collect barnacles via a razor or via killing the sea weeds in their sleep. And because the boats are slow, good luck getting a decent number of Barnacles before the night is over.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:26 PM, SinancoTheBest said:

They specified "In couple places in the ocean" so I have a strong feeling it's gonna be frozen polar biomes and maybe even use Compass directions and predictably be generated on north and south ends of the map. I think it's a splendid idea and I cant wait to see how it turns out.

It'd be good if they address address the world generation and the edges of the world since sometimes they generate so close to each other, making circumnavigating the world with boat very risky without sinking it or even impossible.

Interested to see how these get retrofitted into old worlds. My Lunar and Pearl islands are perfectly crammed next to my mainland because of this and i love it. I honestly don't have much space in my ocean so these new islands would probably merge to mainland or be 2 boat bridge away :) 

On 7/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, Gourmand said:

Half my ocean is cut off by a forest biome, lol

Same mine is cut in half due to being an old retrofitted world. I basically have the Atlantic and Pacific oceans 

19 hours ago, Szczuku said:

If it's something along the lines of 'oh this island is here all year round and constantly has negative temperature' I'll be disappointed

I don't think it's realistic to expect an entire biome to vanish and reappear yearly. I'm no dev but that sounds like an unnecessary nightmare. If anything it would make sense for it to be available in every season except Winter. Like maybe the island has a different effect on players that makes it so cold it's hard to stay there even with heat sources and insulated clothing, encouraging you to go there in the off seasons mainly summer where you you would have no risk of overheating or wildfire. Basically an ocean oasis/ way to get ice year round, which would be nice and could really switch up the gameplay from the typical oasis or cave base in Summer.

20 hours ago, Szczuku said:

If it's something along the lines of 'oh this island is here all year round and constantly has negative temperature' I'll be disappointed

Why would that be a disappointment anyway? Massive glaciers irl don't melt in the Summer and reappear in Winter lol they are cold all year round. It would be dumb of Klei to time gate new content behind 25% of the year considering most players don't survive first Winter they most likely will never experience the new content. They have enough on their plate already without trying to explore the ocean first Winter.

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t know but after playing and 100 completing CARTO I am going to be severely disappointed in Klei if they do not ever actually deliver biomes as different as the ones found in CARTO.

Yes CARTO is a short game, and Yes no where near filled with content like DST- But sliding across Ice almost uncontrollably is a No Brainer thing that should happen..

It happens in CARTO and if we’re getting “Ice Sheets” I want new actual gameplay mechanics involved like skidding across its surface, rather than just being some snowy biome that plays much the same as when Winter Season is in play.

Ice turf sounds interesting. It could be like compact ice that doesn't melt outside of Winter which would make sense in context of the new biome. Imagine overlaying ice sheets onto cobblestone roads similar to the way far plots overlay onto regular turf. Think of the SPEEEED!

14 hours ago, Dextops said:

nah i don't like this idea because what would happen to structures on the ice berg

Part of the challenge, unlike lunar island you can't set up a small base. Every visit depands on how well you've prepared yourself.

12 hours ago, LonelySkeleton said:

I don't think it's realistic to expect an entire biome to vanish and reappear yearly.

During winter it has special stuff on it and can be walked-on. Every other season it's just a bunch of icebergs floating to indicate where the biome will spawn  (much like walrus camp)

12 hours ago, LonelySkeleton said:

It would be dumb of Klei to time gate new content behind 25% of the year considering most players don't survive first Winter they most likely will never experience the new content. They have enough on their plate already without trying to explore the ocean first Winter.

1. Nobody forces them to speedrun the content 1st winter. It's a survival sandbox, not racing sim 

2. Entirety of Eye of the Storm is late game content that most public servers never get to experience.

3. If someone gives up after dying 1st winter then this game is not made for them. Simple as that.

I'm seeing a lot of people getting their hopes up for some huge island with Mctusks and stuff and it kind of makes me worry.
I'm not expecting a lot, they were very hesitant on making any sort of islands during RoT, the update line that introduced the ocean.
It's not impossible, but I'm gonna keep my expectations low, if they do something grand I'll be pleasantly surprised!

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

I'm seeing a lot of people getting their hopes up for some huge island with Mctusks and stuff and it kind of makes me worry.
I'm not expecting a lot, they were very hesitant on making any sort of islands during RoT, the update line that introduced the ocean.
It's not impossible, but I'm gonna keep my expectations low, if they do something grand I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Yeah, I think at best we might get an ocean biome with ice sheets you can walk on the same way you can walk on boats.

28 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Yeah, I think at best we might get an ocean biome with ice sheets you can walk on the same way you can walk on boats.

now im actually conflicted. do i want an island or do i want something like the swamp in sw or like the salt biome
if they do add something like the salt biome i hope it has some more stuff and a bigger reason to go back and has some more cool mobs to fill the ocean
if its an iceberg as an entire island i just hope it has a cool mechanic to go with it like how the lunar island has lunacy
anyway i hyped

10 minutes ago, Dextops said:

now im actually conflicted. do i want an island or do i want something like the swamp in sw or like the salt biome
if they do add something like the salt biome i hope it has some more stuff and a bigger reason to go back and has some more cool mobs to fill the ocean
if its an iceberg as an entire island i just hope it has a cool mechanic to go with it like how the lunar island has lunacy
anyway i hyped

I'm not dying to get more islands, tbh. If the ocean is to be improved, it will have to be improved with content that you engage with on a boat. Islands that you get to and from by sailing in a straight line for 30 seconds don't really add to the ocean, after all, and a big issue with sailing right now, imo, is the amount of mobs and items that spawn randomly while you're on a boat, which will only be improved if you are incentivize to stay on the boat more.

On 7/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, thegreatJash said:

A snow island with mactusk villages. That would be amazing.

Yes. Friendly non-tusk versions. To keep the hunters valuable. 

I’d love mactusk society. Maybe even recruit them like pigs. 

I think an actual arctic area would be awesome. Super super cold in winter. 

We need more island destinations. Tropical or jungle or arctic. 

On 7/7/2021 at 11:35 PM, -Variant said:

I think that was because they didn’t want to mess with shipwrecked but original ds has been so completely surpassed by dst now.

it’s time for a larger map with more islands. 

and adventure mode to finally take down Charlie.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, SkyistheGround said:

would it be awful if it had pengulls year round

(gasp)  Maybe that can be where they originally come from!  Like, they leap _out of the ocean_ in winter, which means they came from...elsewhere in the ocean...

I'm not sure what I actually want (or expect) with new islands...first of all I'm just glad to have SOMEwhere else to sail TO.  I do kinda like the idea of having polar-ice-cap-ish islands (and if they ONLY show up in winter, that would mean The Constant is officially _not_ in an ice age)* because if they appear at the top and bottom of the map, that'd kinda give some structure to the world, make two of "the edges" MEAN something other than just being the edges.  (Not sure about general climate belts all _over_ the world; that'd be weird in addition to taking a lot of work to make...work, with the random-generated worldgens and then would you have different season cycles at different lattitudes?  Man, living on a huge ball of dirt is complicated, in game-programming terms.)  

Anyway the science nerd part of me kinda likes the idea of ice islands/continents at the north and south, but the "I just want to see RoG and Shipwrecked together properly as one contiguous world; is that so wrong?" part of me just wants scattered islands with different resources around that are just interesting and useful to sail to.  Not just once, for a mission or boss fight, but every now and then, like "Oh crap it's winter and all the grass near me has been picked.  Wait!  That island off the coast to the northwest has grass too!" and so you have a reason to go there more than once, even if that reason is mundane.  Stuff like that.  I guess I just want like, more ocean...geography. (shrug)

...Notorious

On 7/7/2021 at 11:45 PM, Szczuku said:

Part of the challenge, unlike lunar island you can't set up a small base. Every visit depands on how well you've prepared yourself.

During winter it has special stuff on it and can be walked-on. Every other season it's just a bunch of icebergs floating to indicate where the biome will spawn  (much like walrus camp)

1. Nobody forces them to speedrun the content 1st winter. It's a survival sandbox, not racing sim 

2. Entirety of Eye of the Storm is late game content that most public servers never get to experience.

3. If someone gives up after dying 1st winter then this game is not made for them. Simple as that.

Solid counter points!

4 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Where did they discuss these additions?

in the forum post where webber rework went live pretty sure

if you mean about water spiders and the chilly biome in the ocean that is

On 7/7/2021 at 4:22 AM, glowy person said:

Why? We really don't need more winter stuff.

Right? Winter is already the most content-packed of the seasons.

You get Pengulls, Ice (technically available in late Autumn and early Spring too, but you can't reliably farm it until Winter), Walrus MacTusk and his two amazing drops: the Tam o Shanter and the Walrus Tusk, which is used to craft the Walking Cane, the Brush and, indirectly, the Lazy Explorer. Oh, and, of course, it has Deerclops and the Deerclops Eyeball, of course, which is used for both the Eyebrella and the Houndious Shootious.

Meanwhile, Spring has Lureplants, which, don't get me wrong, have been amazing since Troubled Waters, and the Moose/Goose, whose feathers can be used for the Luxury Fan, Weather Pain and Down Float.

And Summer... has Cactus Flowers, which are only really useful in summer, an RNG-fest of a fishing game no one seems to like, and a boss whose drops are only really useful in multiplayer.

2 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

I keep seeing the word "island" and it just makes me think how funny it'll be when the beta rolls around and we get a dozen different threads from people being disappointed that Klei lied to them about adding a new island.

This. An island isn't out of the picture obviously but I'm not getting my hopes up for one.
I doubt we're getting an entire island, I'm expecting something small, like brine/salt shoals. 

15 minutes ago, glowy person said:

Question, (since this is a thing asking about new content) is the reason most new content is optional for any specific reason?

If so that's a double bladed sword imo.

Because constantly giving the players more chores they have to complete so Charlie won't smite them right where they stand would suck the fun out of everything in no time.

Also... "new" content? Half of the original, vanilla Don't Starve is completely optional as well.

Archived