Why don't we have turf skins?

Turf skins would still have to have a separate priority from their default counterparts and at that point they might as well make them actual turfs instead of skins.

Plus, turfs are a huge part of base building and I'm not a fan of having them locked behind a paywall, even if that paywall can be paid with spools.

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Turf skins would still have to have a separate priority from their default counterparts and at that point they might as well make them actual turfs instead of skins.

Plus, turfs are a huge part of base building and I'm not a fan of having them locked behind a paywall, even if that paywall can be paid with spools.

Thoughts on the 11 fence skins we have? The 3 stone wall skins we have? All the ice box skins? 

Just now, Gourmand said:

Thoughts on the 11 fence skins we have? The 3 stone wall skins we have? All the ice box skins? 

Those don't have priorities.

And yeah, I know a lot of base building potential is behind the paywall already. Might as well keep this one part free.

Before that, I would prefer each turf to have it's perk if you stand on it. Something like -15% hunger drain on Marble, 60 heat and cold insulation on Wooden, +3 Sanity on Carpeted. If each turf will have it's perk and not be just for visuals, then it would be cool idea to make skins for them.

Average 0 sanity 'where is base player': "Uhhh well um actually we have um turf skins already... yeah um uh guano turf is in the game that means we shouldn't get any new carpets!" 

Average base-building enjoyer: "Give us the skins" 

We have a clear winner folks 8-)

19 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Average 0 sanity 'where is base player': "Uhhh well um actually we have um turf skins already... yeah um uh guano turf is in the game that means we shouldn't get any new carpets!" 

Average base-building enjoyer: "Give us the skins" 

We have a clear winner folks 8-)

Actually problem is quite deeper than this. Somebody explained to me it quite long ago, so I will try to not mess up anything: every turf has its number, not only priority and there is limit of numbers. Every "skin" would take another number - which could make many mods incompatible. Klei would need to make complete rework of turfs (which I dont mind, actually I would welcome hd turfs and option to freely mod more), but last thing I want is to pay for turfs.

I'd rather the devs added new turfs instead of making skins for them.

The potential is there, they just don't want to tap into it. Here let me list some things:

-white carpet made out of bunny pufts

-black carpet made out of slurper pelts

-spotted 'carpet' made with tentacle spots

-stone floor make out of cut stone, a counter part to the wooden floor

-festive floor bought with cawnival tickets

-white wooden floor made with driftwood

-checked desert floor made with desert stones

Like I said, the potential was there all along

13 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

The potential is there, they just don't want to tap into it. Here let me list some things:

These are all good ideas and I hope they see this! I feel as if the building tab would be overrun with different turfs though, so maybe this functionality could be unlocked using the terrafirmer tamper or maybe even a new station.

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

Dont forget a turf made of bearger skins. We need something to waste them

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think this could be a limitation of DST engine

Like, all turfs in the map are pre-rendered when you enter any world, so, they don't have an "anim system" to swap
However, it could be done by directly changing the turf to another one to change the skin
This approach is possible, but I think they would no be able 'turf skin hacking' by commands

5 hours ago, Notecja said:

Actually problem is quite deeper than this. Somebody explained to me it quite long ago, so I will try to not mess up anything: every turf has its number, not only priority and there is limit of numbers. Every "skin" would take another number - which could make many mods incompatible. Klei would need to make complete rework of turfs (which I dont mind, actually I would welcome hd turfs and option to freely mod more), but last thing I want is to pay for turfs.

Like what @Notecja said

If they had to make one, I would want to like to get a wooden flooring skin.
The default one looks very messy and very makeshift. Looks like someone laid down a bunch of boards and glued them together.

I would like a wooden flooring skin that looks much more polished and smooth.

Turf skins are such a funky thing to implement as other wonderful modders in this thread have mentioned, with how there's only a limited amount of turfs you can add with the current system, the priorities of turfs and their skins, assuming turf skins would be entirely new turfs themselves(Because with the current system that's the only way you could do "skins" for them) that'd make it easy to "spawn" the turfs in and etc.

So to propose another idea, why not more "carpets" to build? By carpets I mean these ones under the Merm King and under the YotB and YotC checkpoints/poles.
unknown.png.160a145297d47887f72f5224e33b62b2.png

I always found it a bit unfortunate we didn't have any carpets by themselves without their respective entities on them(merm king, starting point, pole, etc) and even more unfortunately you aren't able to build structures on top of them. I'd really love to see buildable carpets by themselves and the ability to build structures on top of them, I think it'd bring a really nice zest to building in the game. :p

I would just like to mention there is nothing like a paywall in the game, any of the latest skins can be weaved and we get a very decent amount of spools every week just by playing or even loot the skin we're looking for, just like that. There's a little part of luck in that but even if yours sucks super bad you'll get the spools you need in a short period, especially as sometime our lovely JoeW and the team drop spool links in here.
It's a little grind-y but nobody was ever told (or I hope so) that we need to have 100% of the skins unlocked.

So... turf skins? Yes, please, that would be a hell of a remake, I completely get that but the result would be worth it to players that's for sure.

31 minutes ago, ADM said:

I would just like to mention there is nothing like a paywall in the game, any of the latest skins can be weaved

I wanna agree with you - but did they really need to make fence and fencegate recolors Elegants? That still just feels scummy to me.

On turf skins, I'm very tempted to agree just because I want more visual variety for players to play with in their bases instead of always carpet and checkered flooring.

6 minutes ago, Atkvin said:

I wanna agree with you - but did they really need to make fence and fencegate recolors Elegants? That still just feels scummy to me.

On turf skins, I'm very tempted to agree just because I want more visual variety for players to play with in their bases instead of always carpet and checkered flooring.

Just 450 spools

7 minutes ago, Atkvin said:

image.png.d4e724c69c77795a96c8fd83dac26520.png

But, they are distinguished? Except for the pipe fences and gingerbread fences, but I think those are fair enough since they're more "unique" with their design.

Archived