George Witherstone [A brief look at the man from Wes' rework]

You thought I was done making lore posts! You were wrong! I'm just here to give a brief insight into the character that Wes saved in the cinematic, whom @Sunset Skye was able to determine the identity of (Shoutouts to Skye).

972169895_GeorgeWitherstone.png.8fb88fb495653316e80aa425892269f3.png

So at first glance, just looks like an ordinary guy Maxwell was snatching right? Well that would be true, except Klei decided to add a very specific detail at the end of the short.
1884031769_WesRework.png.9b352d5e0a32ead1b791e967a7da9a0d.png

At the 2:26 mark of the short we see a zoomed out image of this box in the lower right corner. We see that it says 'George With- , Dramatic Pr-, Magical- ". This one piece of information ties back to the William Carter Puzzles where Maxwell receives a note from someone with a very familiar name to this.

277496721_WilliamCarterPuzzle.thumb.png.12ed49170b1bcf47cc3163851530cebd.png

The two notes on the left show an overdue bill that Maxwell owed someone during his time as William Carter, a travelling magician who recently came to America to make a name for himself. The person he owed money to, was George Witherstone. With his slogan appearing to be 'Dramatic Props and Magic Apparel', and Mr. Witherstone having made a threat to Maxwell to pay up soon or else he'll find him. This gives us more insight as to why he was about to get snatched by Maxwell and why Maxwell was so displeased Wes saved him, Wes saved the man who threated to harm or potentially inflict worse onto Maxwell while Maxwell was carrying out a revenge scheme on him.

Really interesting to see something from so long ago be given more information in the present. Shoutouts to Klei for remembering this man exists lol. Also just as a reminder, we're getting 1 new character this year so who knows, it might be Mr. Witherstone. Who can say for certain.

Oh and oooone last thing, there's a shadow watcher at the end as well in a frame in George's house. Along with a gramaphone ;) Credit goes to @-Variant for pointing this out.
112767265_ShadowWatcher.png.0078c0931debab8d0a1f2c1db8868060.png

That's all from me for now :p Just wanted to share this with y'all. I have something special lore related that I'm planning to post here soon after the next content beta drops so look forward to that, see you around!

Ok, for a more serious reply.

I'm seeing some hints that he may have been travelling. There's a passport on the tableimage.png.a3f861cc660592a0f3f2138f07e50a83.png

As well as his semi-packed suitcase on the sofa. Did he just arrive? Or was he about to leave?

10 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Don't forget da shadow man and Maxwell's very tormenter! 
image.png.8df37373c5e1e727b57277f6d62ad4cb.png

Don't forget the gramaphone!

EDIT: It is absolutely George. There's another suitcase tagged with his initials, image.png.b71c5e3a1abf7afd04f66fafea5de2fb.png

43 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

We do ought to wonder what Max offered him for Witherstone to be standing still instead of escaping the shadows

Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if Maxwell just did it out of spite, and didn’t offer him anything. The large amount of failed survivors/ghosts seems to indicate that Maxwell dragged a lot of people to the Constant, and I assume that a significant amount of them were pulled because Maxwell had particular gripes with them, which seems to be the case of Witherstone.

It does look like the man is concerned or frightened even at this turn of events but then again shadow hands appearing out of the ground surely would make anyone feel that way but it does seem like he was not expecting to be grabbed but that just makes me interested in the power of the shadow throne how Maxwell could seek out specific targets and drag them into the constant.

5 minutes ago, Educated Fish said:

It does look like the man is concerned or frightened even at this turn of events but then again shadow hands appearing out of the ground surely would make anyone feel that way but it does seem like he was not expecting to be grabbed but that just makes me interested in the power of the shadow throne how Maxwell could seek out specific targets and drag them into the constant.

Maxwell gonna tickle him to death, ain't he?

From my observations room looks quite poor: damaged wallpapers and carpet, cheap furniture (in contrast of Wigfrid's short....) which suggest that George himself got into financial problems. At some point he could be desperate to somehow get money and seems his business had to fail (not sure if because of Maxwell... but possible?). He could be tricked that way: a money, or ... a secret, something to be great again... "Let's meet in the dark alley..."

This is not really a speculation on the lore, just an amusing thought I had:
Imagine Maxwell appearing before his newest puppet, all flashy and showman-like, with smoke, and sinister shadows flying everywhere and stuff, and immediately starting a villainous speech full of things like "dime a dozen street magician, am I?" and "be assured, Mr. Witherstone, you will get what you're owed". That goes on for a good few minutes before Maxwell actually takes a good look at the man and realizes he's not his intended victim, but some random mime.

15 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Would be kinda neat if the DLC character this year is Witherstone. Though if Klei keeps the trend of making DLC non-important (non-human) to canon than I guess it's not likely.

maybe Witherstones daughter but grown up? and shed recognize wes

6 hours ago, Scypham said:

Oh and oooone last thing, there's a shadow watcher at the end as well in a frame in George's house. Along with a gramaphone ;) Credit goes to @-Variant for pointing this out.

I saw that too when I noticed the gramophone but didnt care enough to try to determine what it actually was in the picture

On the suitcase in the bottom right corner it says "G.T.W." which yeah yeah probably just stands for his initials. Or does it??? Because after some research I found that it could also stand for the Grand Trunk Western Railroad Company (reporting mark GTW). A company which build a bunch of railroads in and arround Chicago in the late 19th century. (I think, feel free to research yourself, I don't really get trains) 

But to quote Wikipedia "[They were] also part of a group that created and shared ownership in the Belt Railway Company of Chicago that connects every rail line in the Chicago area."

Chicago beeing the place where the Grand Chicago Fire took place WHICH OBVIOUSLY WILLOW IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SO IT'S ALL CONNECTED!

20210402_091122.png

On 4/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, Maxil20 said:

The large amount of failed survivors/ghosts seems to indicate that Maxwell dragged a lot of people to the Constant, and I assume that a significant amount of them were pulled because Maxwell had particular gripes with them

Makes me wonder why would he take his own niece. Maybe to get at his brother somehow? Or Maybe Wendy  was never targeted but sort of like Wes, took the place of her father right before the gateway closes.

It would seem that, as we saw during Walter’s trailer, that Maxwell would just “set the stage” for them to enter but they have to take the final step in order to be transported to the constant, as the cursed radio that took Woodie took Walter as well (Possibly months or years later)

7 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Makes me wonder why would he take his own niece. Maybe to get at his brother somehow? Or Maybe Wendy  was never targeted but sort of like Wes, took the place of her father right before the gateway closes.

It would seem that, as we saw during Walter’s trailer, that Maxwell would just “set the stage” for them to enter but they have to take the final step in order to be transported to the constant, as the cursed radio that took Woodie took Walter as well (Possibly months or years later)

their quotes imply they didnt know each other though. it might have been happenstance that they are related so your second theory would hold more water if one of them were true

Archived