Why all the Wagstaff Hype?

So, I have seen a LOT of threads suggesting that Wagstaff is added to DST, and I can't place my finger on why. He would be way too similar to winona, since they both have upsides involving different machines and structures, and downsides related to hunger. He would also be another character who wouldn't have a ton of value after making his craftable items. His thumper would be the most broken item in the game in multiplayer, and it would make him the new king of harvesting, making Woodie and Maxwell have much less value. Wagstaff would be too overpowered for the things he can make, and then he'd be pretty much worthless afterwards and there would be no reason to keep playing him. He seems to be built for the singleplayer setting, because he'd be too broken in a multiplayer setting. So, that being said, why all the hype for Wagstaff?

Most of those problems can be fixed in a rework fashion, and the downside relating to hunger thing isn't entirely true. He can still eat everything, it just hurts him a bit. I feel they can work around all your problems with him to make him a good character, there would just have to be a bit of tweaking.

I personally don't think he will get in any time soon, i just want him in because i love his character. He is also pretty important lore wise

Have you actually played Wagstaff in single-player? His thumper isn't the only unique thing about him, there's a lot more stuff to play. Furthermore, it wouldn't be most broken item, it just would be more convenient early-game option than using bearger or forest skeleton to farm trees (forest skeleton basically does the same - farms logs while keeping treeguards neutral to you). And there are definitely reasons to play as him long-term due to peculiar items mechanic which allows you to get extra valuable loot from trees and boulders, as well not having to bother going for desert googles since he got his own. And the short-range telipads require maintenance costs of telebrellas which, while relatively cheap to craft, don't last long (only 10 uses per telebrella) and can't be mass produced in huge amounts at once due to slow regrowth of flowers in the world.

1 minute ago, shadowDigga said:

Have you actually played Wagstaff in single-player? His thumper isn't the only unique thing about him, there's a lot more stuff to play. Furthermore, it wouldn't be most broken item, it just would be more convenient early-game option than using bearger or forest skeleton to farm trees (forest skeleton basically does the same - farms logs while keeping treeguards neutral to you). And there are definitely reasons to play as him long-term due to peculiar items mechanic which allows you to get extra valuable loot from trees and boulders, as well not having to bother going for desert googles since he got his own. And the short-range telipads require maintenance costs of telebrellas which, while relatively cheap to craft, don't last long (only 10 uses per telebrella) and can't be mass produced in huge amounts at once due to slow regrowth of flowers in the world.

i have, but the thumper was just the biggest issue i had.

Just like Warly and Wormwood IF Wagstaff was to ever come to DST he would be tweaked and reworked to better Fit DST.

Wormwood no longer burns, heals from eating loose rot, completely opposite of his solo counter part.

Wagstaff will be toned down / Revisioned to better fit.

11 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

i have, but the thumper was just the biggest issue i had.

The thumper has a huge downside when it comes to harvesting compared to bearger or stalker (or even Maxwell or Woodie) - it's not portable. You are limited to small 2.25 tiles area around it and can only do small harvests at a time. If you need a lot of wood at once (such as for cobblestones), you are better off using aforementioned means. E.g. it's convenient to keep wood supplies in check, but loses when it comes to mass harvesting. I think it appears to be overpowered in hamlet setting due to lack of bearger or skeleton in hamlet world to compete with.

I thought he was added as a thank you to the players who still support Don't Starve, adding him to DST would sorta tarnish that. As for "he was minutes apart from Winona", safe to say the constant has a different concept of time. I still stand-by my opinion that he would make a better mystery character if he was kept in Don't Starve. 

Winona and WX-78 fill his shoes just fine. (Winona inheriting his inventive thinking and WX-78 being a physical construct for Wagstaff's desire to learn)

Because he's the most important playable character in the lore.  He built the Voxola radio which brought the survivors to the constant,  founded the Voxola company, built WX-78, and in Winona's "next of kin" trailer you see him getting pulled into the constant only minutes apart from Winona.  So he gets put in single player and Winona gets put in DST?  

52 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

He would be way too similar to winona

Wurt is similar to Webber and Wigfrid is similar to Wolfgang.  Winona has a focus on buildings while Wagstaff has a focus on his glasses.  While yes, he has buildings they are nowhere near what Winona does.

58 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

So, I have seen a LOT of threads suggesting that Wagstaff is added to DST, and I can't place my finger on why. He would be way too similar to winona, since they both have upsides involving different machines and structures, and downsides related to hunger. He would also be another character who wouldn't have a ton of value after making his craftable items. His thumper would be the most broken item in the game in multiplayer, and it would make him the new king of harvesting, making Woodie and Maxwell have much less value. Wagstaff would be too overpowered for the things he can make, and then he'd be pretty much worthless afterwards and there would be no reason to keep playing him. He seems to be built for the singleplayer setting, because he'd be too broken in a multiplayer setting. So, that being said, why all the hype for Wagstaff?

I got a simple solution for this entire argument.  Rework the character. 

8 minutes ago, --- -.- said:

Cause Wagstaff is best playable character in DS franchise so far.

Correct

1 hour ago, Blue Moth said:

but wagstaff isnt winona and they have different structures so its kinda ok i think

Wagstaff is a very interesting character in DS and has a lot of fun tools to use.  Similar to Warly and Wormwood, he brings unique new ideas to the table in a way that Wilbur and Wheeler really don't.

He also has unique downsides with his headgear requirements, and these are also part of his unique upsides.  He has a strange projected effect when low on health that is unique to him and has interesting lore implications.

16 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I want Wilba but I'm not going to stop anyone for asking for their main to be ported.

I want Wheeler in DST too, and while personally i'm not entirely opposed to Wagstaff getting added to DST, i worry that he'll a.) become a pick and drop character for his telipads and thumper or b.) he gets refreshed but it doesn't go well

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Maxwell would never be added to the game. He's way too similar to Wickerbottom, they both have upsides related to magic and downsides related to an inferior body

Great, now I'm convinced that Wickerbottom needs 0.7* damage. Dammit. 

I think Wagstaff has bigger purpose in the story, enough so he probably couldn't be added as a character in DST. He has his a rather morbid interest in dark magic, and seems to have been actively searching for the Nightmare Throne. He's involved enough in Maxwell's traps that Winona linked all the strange disappearances to him and his radio. He's crazy enough that he would take Nightmare Fuel back home if he could to revolutionize the world, which is rather ominous given the fate of the last civilization that harnessed it. 

But ya know I could be wrong, Wagstaff just seems like he could easily shape up to be the next Maxwell though if they went in that direction. Just another person getting too curious in things they shouldn't know. 

I wouldn't want Wagstaff in DST, just because his entire reason for existing as a playable character was to give something new for people who wanted more content in DS that wasn't DLCs. It'd feel very bleh to me if he then got added to DST despite that, and would almost certainly get updates and small new perks that make the DS version outdated... that'd be like the ultimate sad irony.

Archived