YotB kinda sucks

Hello, new thread.

Chinease new year events were always kind of lacking, with them becoming stale after a while.

But god dang is yotb the worst so far. Lets start of with the fact that it takes like 3 stacks of logs and a stack of gold  (sorry Wurt) just to participate in this thing.

The bell, while a welcome addition, could use some changes as currently bonding with a beefalo prevents you from parking it and breaking the bond messes with domesticated boof's behaviour.

The rewards for the event can be fully acquired after 2 games, since you get costume sketches at the end and beefalo statue sketch is cheap. Thanks to @Hornete's thread one can get their desired boof skin in no time. The whole event gets stale after literally 2-3 games.

Speaking of which, I'm calling it right now that boof skins will become weavable/purchasable and will appear in skin packs.

As I said- imo this is the worst chinease event alongside yotc.

24 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

As I said- imo this is the worst chinease event alongside yotc.

Even if you dislike Year of the Beefalo, do you really consider it to be worse than Year of the Gobbler, which only has increased Gobbler spawns and gives red pouches for feeding them berries? And has the single unique item of the lucky fan?

33 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

The bell, while a welcome addition, could use some changes as currently bonding with a beefalo prevents you from parking it

It doesn't though, just drop the bell and the beefalo will stop following you. I think it's a bit silly to claim that an event sucks when you haven't fully gotten a grasp on its new content.

Anyway, Year of the Beefalo is awesome. There's a ton of stuff to do outside of just the contests, since there's lots of new decor options + beefalo are easier to work with in general, so I know I'll be engaging with the event and beefalo in general a lot.

Yotb is the best yot event to date because it has brought much needed qol changes to a mechanic from the core game no other yot event can say that. Picking while riding, picking up heavy objects while mounted, map icon, bell, going to the caves are all huge improvements. 

The yot events were always silly little mini games to bring some levity to day to day survival. What were you expecting? 

Isnt a bad event. Complaining about resources... is a bad argument 

I can understand that the minigame could not be of your taste but isnt a bad minigame (nothing cant be better thab carrats races)

44 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

The rewards for the event can be fully acquired after 2 games

How? There is 9 skins that cost 3 items each 

Pd. If you want to park the beefalo, dont carry the bell lol

5 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Yotb is the best yot event to date because it has brought much needed qol changes to a mechanic from the core game no other yot event can say that. Picking while riding, picking up heavy objects while mounted, map icon, bell, going to the caves are all huge improvements. 

The yot events were always silly little mini games to bring some levity to day to day survival. What were you expecting? 

I agree its alot of improvements sure the shrine and the fashion contest are focus of the YOTB but the QoL stuff is more important

YOTB might have had less raw content than YOTC last year, but honestly Chinese new year has always been more about side activities than anything else, (and they were not that fun if you were not doing a multiplayer world), halloween gives you a way to replenish totally normal trees while winterfeast gives you light adornments and bosses (and more Klaus)

50 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

The rewards for the event can be fully acquired after 2 games, since you get costume sketches at the end and beefalo statue sketch is cheap.

It took me around 8 games to get everything just from the free complimentary patterns because the first 4 times I didn't realize you need to hit the post to actually count, I though it targeted your submitted beefalo, and for the rest I didn't win a single time, the innkeeper tastes are too complex for my poor brain to understand.

YOTB brought something no Chinese new year brought since the beginning, QoL to an already existing feature, I can grab stuff on the ground while on beefalo (and the bell is something really really nice).

The fact that I can play fashion and bring beefalo to caves/through wormholes from now on already makes the content of this event more compelling to me than all the previous CNY events, even if the event had a lower amount of raw content.

Alright some clarifying

When I said that you can get every reward under 2-3 games I said that under the assumtion that one would be satisfied with 1 or 2 beef skins. In one of my worlds I simply got myself the flowery beef as it fits the theme of my base the most. If one plans to get every single skin then it'd probably take a bit more time, yes.

I did not think that bell would act like an eyebone, thanks for the info skye. Breaking bond messing with domesticated beef's behaviour is still accurate.

And now about how great this update is because of qol. This is exactly why I think this update could've been better. As many people already speculate those qol changes and beef skins will be kept in the game, most likely added back in the March QoL update. Those qol changes could've been added in any qol update but instead were thrown into the yotb one to compensate how the update itself kinda sucks.

Once those qol changes become a part of the game yotb will have nothing of value to add.

41 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Even if you dislike Year of the Beefalo, do you really consider it to be worse than Year of the Gobbler

Yes as yotg was the first chinease event and everything added with it was new and unique as opposed to subsequent events which reused lamps, firecrackers and beast costume. And gobblers giving red pouches for being fed was good and simple enough that anyone could enjoy it. Right now if one created a new, fresh world they'd probably not be able to enjoy this event as they'd simply not have resources required.

52 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

The fact that I can play fashion and bring beefalo to caves/through wormholes from now on already makes the content of this event more compelling to me than all the previous CNY events, even if the event had a lower amount of raw content.

Agree that beefalo caving is awesome (welcome back, Wendy), but wormhole traveling has always been a thing, thanks to beefalo horn - though a bit tricky if other herds were around.

6 minutes ago, myxal said:

Agree that beefalo caving is awesome (welcome back, Wendy), but wormhole traveling has always been a thing, thanks to beefalo horn - though a bit tricky if other herds were around.

The Beefalo Horn also had only 10 uses and was a 25% drop from killing Beefalo. Not really something you could use willy nilly.

29 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

When I said that you can get every reward under 2-3 games I said that under the assumtion that one would be satisfied with 1 or 2 beef skins. In one of my worlds I simply got myself the flowery beef as it fits the theme of my base the most. If one plans to get every single skin then it'd probably take a bit more time, yes.

Personal preference. I wanted all of them because they can be mixed

31 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

And now about how great this update is because of qol

It being a minigame, a atatue and a way to get lucky gold nugges to craft lunar event stuff, as every other lunar event. If you dont like it is fine, other players might dont like carrat races or pig wresling but defining something as "it sucks" because personal preference isnt a constructive way to critic something and less if the statements that try to support the idea are wrong or only works in your point of view

How does the YotB event improve beefalos:

• Introduces an item to bind your beefalo to you
  • Allows you to perform more actions while riding beefalos
  • Adds new features to make taming beefalos easier
  • Makes beefalos renewable even if they become extinct
  • Introduces skins for your beefalo

How to earn Lucky Gold Nuggets in the YotB event:

• Win a race against other beefalos
  • Prove the strength of your beefalo in an obstacle course
  • Guess the Curio Collector's favourite beefalo skin

What you can do to increase the amount of obtained Lucky Gold Nuggets:

• Increase the size of your race
  • Tame your beefalo harder
  • Learn all available beefalo skins

Event themed items you can purchase with your Lucky Gold Nuggets:

• New saddles with special effects
  • Anything to help you with taming beefalos
  • More beefalo skins

It's not about beefalos, it's about skins!

Kinda agree.

Minigame is barely fun and so long for nothing that i had to bring some board and coblestone to craft so it doesnt feel like a total waste of time.

Too much bug, i was afraid of my world being corupted. I hammered every structures as soon as i unlocked every things i wanted.

Im not into beefalo taming so maybe that's the reason im not enjoying this event that much. i still have antlion statue to move but it will wait.

I need one last fish to complete my collection but i definitly dont want to spend a whole season again just for ONE fish.

From the perspective of someome who was pretty involved with beefalo before, yotb is the devs throwing us a huge bone in terms of how beefalo work what with both the beefalo bell and being able to do more stuff while on top of one.

I understand how one who doesnt rlly care about beefalo taming wouldnt feel the same but you have to acknowledge how this event brings large gameplay improvements especially compared to how most others : p

49 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

How does the YotB event improve beefalos:

• Makes beefalos renewable even if they become extinct

So do you think they should be renewable if they become extinct ?

That question could fit with many things, and it could be a global thread. I think it's fine if some things are not renewable, it's an aspect of the game's difficulty.

Trees for example. Once I thought that if I lose all the trees, I would be done. They could burn, being changed into stones. So I liked to keep "tree seeds", few stacks in order to rebuild a forest. I like this possible idea. Sometimes I cleared big areas for future plans, and what a surprise to see those areas full of trees again.

Loosing rare things because of accidents is fine to me. We know it about beefalos. It's not so hard to check their area. Sometimes they're on a small piece of land, in the middle of spiders zone. Like in my game, that sucks, but I just had to clear the nests.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:
  • Allows you to perform more actions while riding beefalos
  • Adds new features to make taming beefalos easier

These two are intertwined

Anything to help you with taming beefalos

I cannot state enough how the Beefalo bell (being able to go into caves and Disconnect with beefalo) and being able to do regular tasks on beefalo, help with the taming process

Win a race against other beefalos

This was the obvious event and for that you think that it should be the logical event but that wouldnt be original because we already had races with the carrat event and was very well done since you needed to train your carrat to overcome the race track, you can make a single road without obstacles where you carrat will only need speed or a track filled with obstacles so your carrat will need orientation, so it was very deep. With beefalo races this cant happend since it will affect the stats of a ingame mechanic like mounting beefalos is, you should improve the speed of a hornery beefalo and, if you shouldnt, this means that a beefalo with speed tendency will always win the race. 

What did klei? A beauty constest adding skins (for free) making a minigame that wasnt expected and fixing one of the problems of taming beefalos with other players: they look the same

Adds new features to make taming beefalos easier

Brush already exist ;)

The only thing that sucks about this update is how much the Xbox one version crashes trying to do almost literally anything...

In fact I haven’t turned the game ON in awhile because I’m waiting on a more stable update (one that isn’t likely to kill my Xbox)

personally I HATE the Cowbell: This thing takes Taming Beefalo and makes it Child’s Play: Now let me explain- Taming a Beefalo was the final achievement in Both DS and DST that I managed to unlock.. 

(As a Disclaimer the following is straight Sticks/Grass taming only: No Saddles, no Riding, No brushing.. etc*)

Now Part of the Reason as to why it was hardest 1- Beefalo show no signs of further domestication aside from a brief fart or a fatter face when we’ll fed, 2- Beefalo that was fed followed you around very very slowly and if you got them too far away from their original herd they would run back to it. 3- Since Beefalo wouldn’t follow you far.. you had to go gather food for it or bring the food to its location each day to keep it fed, 4- Since it never left it’s horde... it could be hard to tell which Beefalo was the one you were taming.

The Cowbell: Nullifies ALL of these problems because the Beefalo follows you constantly, stays caught up with you even through wormholes, caves & teleportation, since it follows at all times you no longer need to be back by the end of the day to make sure it’s fed.. just pluck some grass while out on adventures shove it in its mouth tada.. and SHOULD your Cowbell follower end up in a crowd of wild Beefalo: The lovely little Grooming Station lets you customize your Beef to be easy to spot.

All of the real hassles of taming a Beef are gone now:

And as an added bonus you can pick stuff while riding your Beef (well I hear you can.. I haven’t actually been able to play the game much without constant crashing) 

The customizable Beefalo’s are really fun and I hope that part remains in the game.

And Curio Collector is now officially in the constant WITH The Survivors... Thats Lore right there.

I honestly don’t know what you expected from YoTB.. sure it’s not Epic bouts of Jousting against Clockwork Knights Riding Clockwork Rooks where we charge at each other like bumper cars (but I’m pretty sure if Klei wanted to add a mini game like that there’s always some other time.)

My personal problems with this event (outside of the constant crashing) is how all the challenge of taming Beefalo got significantly easier: And my only Concern about that is Beefalo in my understanding of them at least: (I’ve only ever tamed one ONCE) are supposed to be these ultra helpful battle mounts that makes fighting easier- And if that’s the case: Then taming them just became a cakewalk.

29 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

personally I HATE the Cowbell: This thing takes Taming Beefalo and makes it Child’s Play: Now let me explain- Taming a Beefalo was the final achievement in Both DS and DST that I managed to unlock.. 

It doesnt affect the taming mechanics  and the achievements is just a requeriment for releasing a game in xbox, isnt intended by the devs like others said maaany times

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

It doesnt affect the taming mechanics  and the achievements is just a requeriment for releasing a game in xbox, isnt intended by the devs like others said maaany times

Oh but it does impact taming: instead of YOU having to go back to your Beefalo, it now follows you everywhere- you can feed it As you quest around the entire map.

Archived