Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

I really want things to be okay, but part of me is worried about how much damage Tencent causes to Klei, DST is one of my favorite games, and I really don't want to see a genocidal government destroy every particle of code from it. They could just thorn the contract apart, but it will never happen. The CCP will not stop until someone decides to stop them, and this will never happen too.

Don't Starve will die, and this will happen. It was good while it lasted.

1 hour ago, GelatinousCube said:

Question regarding PS4 version: In my settings there is no option or box to tick or untick for Data Collection. What does this actually mean? That data is automatically collected from PS4 version with no option?

EDIT: Logged in just to suss this out and try to find this in the options and my daily gift was a winter chest which contained the skin I've wanted most this Winters Feast =\ So many conflicting feelings..

I think most games on PS4/Xbox do not have a way to disable of data collection: Plus I don’t think Data Collection really does anything, if you play Rocket Arena press the Accessibility Options button, scroll to account and there you can enable or disable data share usage 

Now it is important to note: that this feature is in your game so that should you have a bug that needs reporting the developers can directly pull the last things you did in said game so that they can observe your actions and try to come up with a solution for what caused your bug: Information they would not have if you did not agree to letting them share it.

I do NOT think your PS4 is going to collect your home address, birthdate, Maiden Name, Next of Kin should you suddenly come up missing.. etc etc, 

for RA in particular: This allows EA access to your EA data and when you log in to the EA Access app it can see what types of games you enjoy playing and that’s how the “Recommended For You” section works.

With DST i would imagine that such data collecting (in addition to providing Klei strings of gameplay data for bugs) would observe what type of Skins you purchase most from the in-game shop and could possibly prioritize the ones it thinks you will like. (I do not think that DST currently does this, but if it were ever going to.. that’s what Data Collecting is for)

34 minutes ago, Pindeh said:

This is basically digging your own grave. 

Maybe. If I was a Klei employee, I'd take the most money from Tencent on the way out and start something new.

Then agian, Klei employees are likely very, very dedicated, so their best bet to retain control would be forming a union. Canada already has a higher union rate, so they could even claim it's standard business practice.

Ok, that's ENOUGH! Which is worse? 

You kept silent when KLei sponsored Organization BLM Black Lives Matter with $1,000,000. Where are you when the President of the United States with 70 million fans had been banned on Twitter?

And now you are free to express your discrimination against the Chinese gaming platform. As hiding behind the keyboard to vent your dissatisfaction? All this is just to satisfy your vanity.

A group of addicts who treat hatred as a drug. How hypocritical! Maxwell will be ashamed of you.

INFIRMUS

7 minutes ago, DST_LSJ said:

Ok, that's Enough. Which is worse? 

You kept silent when KLei sponsored Organization BLM Black Lives Matter with 1,000,000 $. The President of the United States with 70 million fans had banned on Twitter.

Or now you are free to express your discrimination against the Chinese gaming platform. As hiding behind the keyboard to vent your dissatisfaction. All this is just to satisfy your vanity.

A group of addicts who treat hatred as a drug. How hypocritical! Maxwell will be ashamed of you.

INFIRMUS

Wow, not sure if brainwashed or just brainless.

I can honestly careless what people say or think about me, so insults thrown my way just get ignored & forgotten- but please remember that not everyone shares my protective unicorn bubble.. and what you say can & does effect them- so I would like to ask that everyone please stop throwing insults at other forum members.

We all have different opinions and views and it is okay to express them, it is NOT okay to call someone out or insult them just because you disagree with their views.

Case in point: I respected Klei’s decision to support the BLM movement and support my friends & family & all the people effected, I DID NOT Support the Hostile riots and street takeovers the BLM Groups were partaking within..

Bad behavior is bad behavior regardless of your age, sex, race, relationship preferences etc.. 

I respect sensible people who act responsibly & still manage to get positive results.

So please remember to be kind to your friends, your family, and your fellow neighbors- 2020 was hell on everyone on the entire planet, let’s ALL collectively try to move forward for a brighter tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Cut him some slack bro you know if you live in China and go against anything Chinese or CCP you "disappear" and maybe your family too.

11 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Oh. Save it.

Political position determines how much benefit the supervisor can get. No matter whether he is honest or not. I have no words to you.

4 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Hahah, this raises an excellent question: how does Don't Starve actually look like in China? I guess it must abide to all their censorship laws..? I've seen seen pictures with comparisons of the normal Dota 2 client and the Chinese dito; depicting skeletons is a huge no-no in China, so Valve has changed the icons, and even 3D models, to look different (apparently a drawing of a man getting impaled by a spear is better than a drawing of a skull over there). There are quite a few images of skeletons and skulls in Don't Starve.

I did see long pig meat in the game file. But not in game.

Chinese respect the dead, because each skeleton was once a person. Destroying their bodies to get Bone Shards itmes is disrespectful to them.

Chinese do not judge how people from other countries treat the bodies of their companions.The Chinese culture is to bring their bodies back to their hometown and bury them.

There is no problem with animal bodys and Bone Shards in the game for Chinese.

Don't need to politicize it too much.

I don't understand why this is necessary and I have very low faith in a buyout of a small indie studio ending anything but badly.

Why are we doing this?
Klei has been around for 15 years, and we have made many changes over the years in order to respond to a changing world. Consistently, my wish has been to enable people to do their best creative work, to learn and grow, to not have to worry about finances, and be able to enjoy their lives outside the studio. This has not changed.

You don't actually need to grow. I promise you, nobody will fault you for staying at the exact same size you are now and continuing to produce new content at the same rate as now. Don't Starve is a household name level successful franchise that should be enough of a cashcow to keep itself funded as well as fund new games you make. Not to get all political, but you don't have to keep getting bigger and bigger. Perpetual growth is unsustainable capitalist nonsense. Maybe you should replay one of your own games? The one about megacorporations wielding absolute power. :-)

(The only people associated with the company I could think of who could REQUIRE growth, for the sake of increasing profits and creating returns on investments, are investors/shareholders... which is, well, uh, probably not a good reason to become even MORE beholden to investors/shareholders. Once you lock yourself into the vicious cycle of having to grow in and increase profit, how are you going to be able to retain independence?)

28 minutes ago, Hekateras said:

Don't Starve is a household name level successful franchise

...Is it? DST is certainly a big game, and most people who actively play games on steam at least know about it, but I do not think the series is at all a "household name." That's the kind of thing you'd call Star Wars or Minecraft, not Don't Starve.

Archived