Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

I played this game for 6 years, and have several thousands of hours, and I wouldn't hesitate to quit if I feel I can justify it ethically. I love going on twitch and helping new players become more interested in playing the game, and I've purchased loads of skins and always have a great time playing. I like supporting Klei - not Tencent.

Having said that, this decision almost reaches that point of quitting. Klei knows the reaction people had to New Home. A decision to adapt to a "changing industry" is taken as selling out to a future of exploitative game development practices. (yes we can talk about American companies being awful as well - I do not buy from Amazon etc etc, but Amazon does not virtually own the entire video game industry so these critical conversations are very relevant and important.)

Klei has welcomed a great community over the years so it's shocking to me they feel they need to even make this decision. One of the reasons to support the company was because of it's appearance of independence. Because of the great community Klei has brought together, you would think transparency would help with keeping this warm welcoming community, but Jamie Cheng is incredibly vague in describing the deal. Why not have the finer details public so people can decide for themselves if they support you or not? Jamie says - paraphrase "oooh it's just a few boring accounting changes, but not much really happens :D", but everyone knows that's a giant evasion to explain a giant decision. A decision and response so trite feels an insult to the community's intelligence and passion to support this company.

Perhaps people working at Klei should stand up and have a voice with Jamie? Perhaps this deal is set in stone and there's no turning back... And we really don't know how bad it is so far.

Either way, I hate it - most other people who are at the age of reason hate it. I suspect Klei knows this is not optimal, and insults us pretending to not know. I will just have to see how things unfold to decide what changes I need to make as someone who was an avid supporter.

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Tell me what paywalls have lol or poe

Please work on your Grammar.  Are you using google translate?

31 minutes ago, Gods fiddler said:

you're probably right hahaha
F

Yeah, rip

I'm glad I got these when they were on sale years ago, so this hasn't hit me as hard as it could have.

I'm gonna get my money's worth before they ruin it.

1 minute ago, Shishoo said:

Please work on your Grammar.  Are you using google translate?

you shouldn't tell people to work on their grammar. not everyone's first language is english. try to learn a new langauge, it's not easy.

20 minutes ago, YesterdaysLemon said:

So wait, if Klei maintains creative control, does that include the Steam Workshop? I am REALLY HOPING they don't disable it

If anything happens to the workshop or ever see a launcher, I quit, I'm already not willing to just lunch the game at this time but this would be the last nail in the coffin for my own game experience for Klei.

5 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

-snip-

Honestly this sums up my feelings. The way this has been set up and described seems so weirdly vague. And the fact there's been barely any proper feedback to any of these complaints is concerning. I mean I get it's a bit overwhelming to respond to this but like, something feels way off and it's making everyone tense and upset. With how much of a disaster this has been so far and the lack of real clarity and feedback it's become really...upsetting to say the least

i play league of legends and didso before tencent took over.  now vs before tencent took over?  they expanded much more and they have added a lot of content.  i'd say it was better for lol to sell to tencent as the game is much better now imo but the game has become greedier as it has many more things you can buy, the worse stuff is probably the loot boxes and the almost monthly events that cost 15-20$ to be a completionist. but i haven't spent a penny on league for a long time, it's fairly fun despite the few toxic players.  they expanded league into a couple other things like tcg and whatever the other one is but i've never played either of them

i do worry about hearing that lol has an anti cheat system that's spyware since tencent took over though

2 minutes ago, ADM said:

If anything happens to the workshop or ever see a launcher, I quit, I'm already not willing to just lunch the game at this time but this would be the last nail in the coffin for my own game experience for Klei.

That would be even beyond last nail. Like extra nails and boards to be sure nothing will exit from coffin...

I'm not hopeful about the future of this company now.

Such a shame, too. DST is such a big comfort game to me and it really helped me get through 2020. I was excited to see what 2021 would bring, but now reading these posts has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I figured something was up the moment they mentioned that Tencent would be working on New home. I just didn't expect it to be this bad. 

Just now, Well-met said:

bro you're literally brand new. dont come and boss regulars around

"boss regulars around?"  When did I do that?

Overreacting a bit, aren't we?

Just now, Farlan said:

I'm not hopeful about the future of this company now.

Such a shame, too. DST is such a big comfort game to me and it really helped me get through 2020. I was excited to see what 2021 would bring, but now reading these posts has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I figured something was up the moment they mentioned that Tencent would be working on New home. I just didn't expect it to be this bad. 

Same tbh.  I'm trying to stay hopeful, but I'm expecting the worst.

i feel heartbroken by how terrible 2021 has been so far with the whole dream doxing situation and the call em carson allegations and now THIS 

its sucks because im a guy of positivity not negativity so yeh, this sucks

5 minutes ago, viberr said:

i feel heartbroken by how terrible 2021 has been so far with the whole dream doxing situation and the call em carson allegations and now THIS 

its sucks because im a guy of positivity not negativity so yeh, this sucks

I haven't heard or have been aware of any of that as I live under a really big rock.

People don't seem to get that problems don't just go away with a new year.

I'm just waiting for Psychonauts 2 to release, I really like Double Fine games.

Just now, ZeeDragon said:

People don't seem to get that problems don't just go away with a new year.

yeah i know man but it isn't even February and i would say this year is almost as bad as 2020 so how bad will it be by the end of the year?

With the lack of information despite us asking, I assume some FAQ will be released soon? Because we're left hanging and I myself can't really handle it. 

Please, I barely got rid of one massive stressor in my life and this appears. I just want to know what I'm standing on, and the original announcement is nothing but a sheen of ice. 

1 minute ago, viberr said:

yeah i know man but it isn't even February and i would say this year is almost as bad as 2020 so how bad will it be by the end of the year?

Well, I don't know how to answer that but I know this:

"When something bad happens, people act stupider so more bad things happen." 

- My Mom.

In short, if you don't want it to get worse. Don't be dumb.

Question regarding PS4 version: In my settings there is no option or box to tick or untick for Data Collection. What does this actually mean? That data is automatically collected from PS4 version with no option?

EDIT: Logged in just to suss this out and try to find this in the options and my daily gift was a winter chest which contained the skin I've wanted most this Winters Feast =\ So many conflicting feelings..

Archived