Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

1 minute ago, Marfoo said:

Like, people think by giving the game negative reviews will do something? Or is it just being butt hurt? 
Klei isn't your friend, they are the company.

People just like pushing sticks into their bike wheels while cycling, falling over as they bruise their knees and cry "I'M DYIIIIIIIING!!!" when the majority people will just turn their eyes to play League or DST or something.

15 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

If DST ends up going the same fate as fortnite(spyware) then I'm out.

Could you elaborate on this? I looked up stuff about it and what I found was that there was incredibly thorough anti-cheat checks running through the epic games launcher, checking DLLs and certificates as well as data collection that...seems to be relevant to the game launcher??

If the privacy policy page on epic games isn't straightup lying (it might be but i dont think it is to be honest), the data that they collect are
technical information about your computer, as in hardware specifications and software such as browsers, usage information about interaction with epic games such as visiting their websites and activity there, crash reports, and the location of your device derived from your ip address.

and this, sssssseeeeeemmmsss innocent enough, especially since it appears as if epic games gives you the choice to opt out, similarly to how DST does? Is there something i'm missing here that you could shine light on...?

Don't starve already had transactions and other money grabbing ways  mostly via skins.
occasionally a new character would come in but it was a character we knew already or was actually completely new.
You could pay for skins or you could just play and earn spools to gain the new characters or new skins that were released.

Either way. Klei just gained a large sum of cash. This means they don't have to worry about finances for the for see able future. They may have made some stuff tencent exclusive in the past (rosete skins) That were eventually implemented in the game as a whole.

I don't see the game changing at all and on top of that I am expecting some great stuff  coming from klei  in the future.
and besides if you really don't like what klei does You can just stop supporting them.
Corporations only do what the majority of the consumers want.  If the majority of consumers don't want it then they wont buy the product.
you may hate tencent for what they have done for the past. 
But what they just did was give klei a life injection that I feel was definitely needed.
Maybe now we can actually meet the character refresh deadlines. heh

Everyone is entitled to their thoughts and these are mine
I am hoping klei is able to keep to their creativity and continues to make great content!

You all can have your politics
Im just here to game.

1 minute ago, Lbphero said:

As in, didn't used to have them but now does like how we have roseate, or still just doesnt have GOH skins?? thats kinda sad if the 2nd one

I am not actually sure. I know klei didn't provide tencent the goh skins because it was kind of like a who was on the throne type of thing.
Maxwell was on the throne when goh was released. And rosete was there for charlie.  and since tencent didnt get in untill then they were not part of the "maxwell reign" so to speak.
Maybe they did release them on that version.
I really dont know
but i do remember that was one of the reasons why we didn't get the rosete initially.

It feels like the underlying sentiment I'm reading is coming from a good place wanting to protect Klei thanks to the long standing good faith they've provided to the community over the years, even though most of it reads as negative feedback.

Whatever the reasoning or agreements that happened behind the scenes I think it should be noted that Klei decided to announce it here for all to see.  This implies that Klei isn't shy nor ashamed of the deal proceedings.

They're not completely transparent on the specifics of the deal, but that's between the two companies and their lawyers.  Them even announcing this isn't technically our business, despite it potentially affecting what goes on with the game(s) in the future.

If Klei thinks they can maintain their power over the strong influence Tencent is known for, then let 'em have a go at it.  We'll find out soon enough if that's truly the case when things shake and settle.

As for now Klei has given us an opportunity to prepare ourselves should it not work out.  Keep an eye out on the privacy agreement, new or drastic monetization changes, and forms of censorship.  I find that these are the things Tencent tend to focus on first should they happen.

I understand how this can feel like a betrayal to some.  They've made a name for themselves with the help of their fanbase and are now selling that to another company of which the fanbase wasn't attached to.  Assuming Klei is fully able to maintain their operations without changing anything at the consumer level, then it won't matter who has the most power in the company itself in the end.  It will effectively be as if nothing changed.  Again, this will be something that the community will need to keep an eye out on to see if Klei really does maintain their power and expressive freedoms.

I'm taken a bit aback seeing some of the comments in this thread not getting moderated, some were just outright uncalled for.  Joe's really letting some things slide by hard, probably understanding that emotions can run high in these situations, but I feel that there's no reason to take it out on others here.  We're all here to play games and enjoy ourselves after all.  If Klei can pull it off and aren't chained down, then we should be able to expect some more great things to come.

Of course, donating a million dollars to ethnic black people, and then selling off your business to an offshoot of the CCP and its ethnic cleansing policies ...
However, without focusing excessively on how execrable such behavior is; my concerns (in my small way) are essentially 2: The workshop and Mac support.
To deal with the possible cancellation of the mods, I have personally saved all the contents for DS that I consider valid and that I fear may be canceled by Tentcent, including the two skin mods.
As for Mac support, if the game becomes Windows exclusive I think I won't physically be able to play it for a while.

image.thumb.png.09ddf2d2a1da5f50319b0571df2f9897.png

I think people are blowing this out of proportions with the spyware thing. Why they care about us doing anything? It's prolly just advertisements and whatever that they'd sell info to. It's annoying, but you can tell that to other medias if you've got problems with that. They'll laugh at your faces like the rest of companies in US or China alike. Capitalism at it's finest.

I know how bad tencent is, but come on, some of you guys just trying to get some attention.

Yes I know it's tencent, but the deal is done. Stop posting same thing over and over again, It only creates negativity. Yes this was so sudden and I got shocked too, but please be positive and don't hurt people over a video game.

4 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

The only deflections I've seen in regards to spyware is that it's "overblown" (opinion) and "other media is doing it" (whataboutism/red herring). Two wrongs don't make a right. You're obviously more than welcome to keep the potential spyware if you choose to, but making light of others' concerns because it differs from your own opinion doesn't really lend to an argument.

I mean, people are 'overblowing' the part with spyware, even though I seen no arguments on what they'd be spying on or caring so much about? I don't know what's this argument since I don't know if people are actually suffering cause of it or not. So far a lot of people play League or Valorant, and they seem fine. And I mean what I say, I don't know if these people even know what they fear if I've never heard it from anyone of having security breaches or so.

2 hours ago, RAFAEL-Y said:

I don’t know what foreigners’ impressions of China are. 99% of people in the comments have never been to China. Everyone is welcome to travel to China and then evaluate China, instead of giving China a stereotype based on the media and others’ descriptions. impression.---------(Google Translate)

(我不知道外国人对于中国是什么印象,评论里有99%的人从来没有去过中国,欢迎大家过来中国旅游,然后再去评价中国,而不是根据媒体和别人的描述去给中国一个刻板的印象。)

I was choosing not to form an opinion on Tencent for this reason. It is very difficult to judge what's real and what's hypocritical Western propaganda. I have a hard time seeing what's so special about Tencent aside from the fact that they're a really big company that is not based in the US. Do you want to say more of your personal opinion of Tencent, as someone who (I assume) lives in China? I am interested in hearing it.

My worries about Tencent are mainly about how it's a very big company buying out a small one, and how that historically leads to a loss of independence for the small company.

17 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

In case you didn't know, different people have different views. You're okay with the risk of having spyware? That's totally fine, but try to understand that opinion goes both ways. There's no wrong in switching games to reduce the associated risks.

It's more on the fact that I'm trying to figure out what do those Spywares do that people are on about here xd

42 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

The only deflections I've seen in regards to spyware is that it's "overblown" (opinion) and "other media is doing it" (whataboutism/red herring). Two wrongs don't make a right. You're obviously more than welcome to keep the potential spyware if you choose to, but making light of others' concerns because it differs from your own opinion doesn't really lend to an argument.

Whataboutism and pointing out hypocrisy are two sides of the same coin. The former is intended as the latter. Whether it's a red herring or not is a matter of debate.

The US military, possibly the greatest single force of imperialism, destruction and terrorism on the planet, is directly involved in the production of many blockbuster Western movies, including Marvel stuff (e.g. the Iron Man trilogy) - the funding reality is that depictions of the US military in US movies are most affordable if approved by the US military. The US military has a strong presence in videogames, as well, including using them for propaganda and recruitment.

The difference is that the crimes of the US government are, through massive culture and entertainment industries that function as globe-wide PR campaigns, kept away from the public consciousness of the average American (or non-American while we're at it), while the crimes of foreign governments are placed under a magnifying lens and make headlines. To say nothing of the spyware and data collection that we all know is done extensively by corporations such as Google, Facebook,etc.

I very rarely, if ever, hear gamers talk about these issues with the heat they reserve for scary foreign companies (for reasons that are pretty clear; xenophobia is encouraged while actual knowledge of domestic issues is suppressed). As such, it's extremely hard to read passionate complaints about Klei selling out to Tencent and not wonder what the big deal is. I mean, it's... not great? But would it be that much better if they'd sold out to an American company?

I'm not whataboutist. I'm just bitter and cynical, bordering on apathetic. It's not great, I know.

Anyway. Unionise your workplace, vote for candidates that will reduce voter suppression and re-democratise your local politics. That's the best you, personally, can do. Review-bombing a Steam game won't do jack all.

has this thread stopped erupting like a volcano?

no?well damn

you guys know terraria still ok

minecraft too 

you guys can try some ETG 

hollow knight is a banger 

if you like rythim games try friday night funkin (its free)

ummmmm skyrim?

Archived