Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

to be honest im in a similar camp as many other people here. i'm not worried abt the games themselves but like...why is this even happening? as far as we know klei is pretty well off, considering they made a million dollar donation to the NAACP ~6 months ago. you're still actively making money on skins and game sales. so why was it necessary to sell even more control to tencent? is klei struggling to make ends meet on your end? something's missing here. unless this really was just done in order for more growth and profit even when the company is doing well enough which is...disheartening, to say the least. 

56 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

...Is it? DST is certainly a big game, and most people who actively play games on steam at least know about it, but I do not think the series is at all a "household name." That's the kind of thing you'd call Star Wars or Minecraft, not Don't Starve.

"Household name" among people who game, maybe.

I'm a big fan of Klei's much more obscure games, specifically Invisible Inc. When trying to convert more people for the cult, I often start with "You know the studio that made Don't Starve?" I have almost never had a person not know of DST at least by reputation.

5 minutes ago, taako bell said:

to be honest im in a similar camp as many other people here. i'm not worried abt the games themselves but like...why is this even happening? as far as we know klei is pretty well off, considering they made a million dollar donation to the NAACP ~6 months ago. you're still actively making money on skins and game sales. so why was it necessary to sell even more control to tencent? is klei struggling to make ends meet on your end? something's missing here. unless this really was just done in order for more growth and profit even when the company is doing well enough which is...disheartening, to say the least. 

I see it as the same kind of mentality as the one where a movie release that makes a modest profit compared to the money that was put into it is considered a "box office flop". Where anything short of multiplying profit is considered a failure.

Always gotta keep growin'.

4 minutes ago, beanboy12 said:

...the...ahem....the what?

People got mad at Klei with a tencent mod over on the chinese side of discord and the thread went on for like ten pages. There was hilarious fanart of ideas of "ripoff" don't starve characters. I lost the screencaps in 2016/17 so all I have is that picture that was thankfully not archived.

guys, just turn data collection off.

and when you do, just play the game alone.

i dont care if i dont get updates or anything, im not going to play a game by a company who sold out to another company that supports the ccp.

it was fun klei, but ill come back to online servers in like... 2 years.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

People got mad at Klei with a tencent mod over on the chinese side of discord and the thread went on for like ten pages. There was hilarious fanart of ideas of "ripoff" don't starve characters. I lost the screencaps in 2016/17 so all I have is that picture that was thankfully not archived.

well thats...great!

9 hours ago, Toros said:

It’s really obvious some of you are very young and haven’t seen what happens when a small company sells out before.

1) There is absolutely no reason to believe Klei retains creative control.

A company saying they retain creative control is the standard line given when a company is bought out and no longer retains creative control.  Klei knew this decision would be massively unpopular and is currently looking to contain the outrage and reassure naïve customers that it will be business as usual.

2) Small companies being acquired by large companies generally ends poorly.

It’s happened time and time again that a small company who takes risks and innovates gets bought out and suddenly makes decisions that are aligned with maximizing profit, not treating customers well or continuing to innovate.

3) Tencent is especially bad even compared to other large publishers

A history of installing spyware to farm data for a government currently engaged in genocide and harvesting organs from prisoners is a whole lot of bad all at once, and as terrible as EA is with killing franchises they aren’t on the same level

4) Klei has never been particularly business-savvy to begin with.  Assuming they “know what they are doing” is foolish.

Some easy examples off the top of my head:

a) Klei did not recognize the immense potential of a multiplayer version of their game, and were vocally against adding multiplayer until years and years of pressure.

b) Klei handed off development of Shipwrecked to Capy Games, who provided beautiful art and music but had a ton of issues with their game design.  Klei eventually went back and made some great QoL changes.

c) Klei intended to have Shipwrecked as a standalone game and only integrated it as a DLC after enormous community pressure.  This decision created a huge number of bugs because it was not designed as a dlc from the start.

d) DST should’ve been developed as 64-bit from the start.  While I can understand not wanting people with potato computers to be unable to play, not switching over to 64 bit causes huge losses in performance and limitations on what can be done with the engine.  It was not a forward-thinking choice at all.

e) Klei spent a lot of development time and money on events (forge and gorge) and servers which while they were popular with the community, didn’t make much money and almost all the art and code was scrapped after the events ended.

f) Klei had revealed a very ambitious roadmap in 2019 for updates and refreshes which anyone familiar with the company knew was completely unrealistic.  Unsurprisingly they fell way behind schedule.  For those who don’t remember, they said they would release one refresh per month, and a new character every two months.  2019 brought 4 character refreshes, and 2020 only had 2.  At the current pace it’ll take them a total of 4 years, not 11 months, to refresh all the intended characters.

g) Don’t Starve: Newhome is a mobile game Klei is not developing loosely set in the DST world.  The beta test was delayed and then made only for Canada, in a time period where mobile gaming is not popular.

Those of you who are feeling hopeful about this announcement are operating from a position of irrational faith.  A firm understanding of how buyouts work and Klei’s history as a business do not suggest optimism for them moving forward.

Future games will almost certainly be Epic store exclusives and we’re likely to see much more aggressive monetizing of products currently being worked on.

This is the best reply in the thread, I think. I'm not particularly old but old enough that I've seen a number of beloved small IPs and developers from the 90's and early 2000's go this route. I'm afraid it very much looks like Klei is in over their heads here.

11 minutes ago, Hekateras said:

"Household name" among people who game, maybe.

I'm a big fan of Klei's much more obscure games, specifically Invisible Inc. When trying to convert more people for the cult, I often start with "You know the studio that made Don't Starve?" I have almost never had a person not know of DST at least by reputation.

Me with Rosto of Mind My Gap.

Pretty sure a good portion of the people here haven't played shank despite it being one of their earliest games. I know a friend who has blacklisted klei years ago due to their dropping out of Sugar Rush because of Nexon clipping it away from Klei and trashing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Rush_(video_game)

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE

Slow down. Let's not go do time machine shenanigans. You know the phrase "If you give a mouse a cookie"...:wilson_shocked:

yeah... sorry.

4 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Yeah. Please don't. 

i mean, its physically impossible so i dont plan on doing so.

im just making some jokes, truust me, im not the WORST of what many are saying.

I don’t know what foreigners’ impressions of China are. 99% of people in the comments have never been to China. Everyone is welcome to travel to China and then evaluate China, instead of giving China a stereotype based on the media and others’ descriptions. impression.---------(Google Translate)

(我不知道外国人对于中国是什么印象,评论里有99%的人从来没有去过中国,欢迎大家过来中国旅游,然后再去评价中国,而不是根据媒体和别人的描述去给中国一个刻板的印象。)

Welp. I played so much League and Valorant that I don't know what's the point of using my data and selling it to tell what a complete nerd no lifer I am xd same for the amount of time I played on DST which is waay more and kinda might be freaky to tell. Frankly, it's not a comfortable idea to know they collect that data, but so does practically almost any companies these days, and yet we're shaming China more for that stuff, even though we could try to cancel Facebook yet we don't.

I read a lotta posts here to know at least some portion to why people are furious about Tencent, and I can understand that but we're really not in power here to tell them what to do and not to. Neither we can tell what Klei wants to do, since they are a business and, to quote, not our friends. They were honest with this announcement, they told that they're still in lead to whatever they release and hopefully still in full power of their creativity. I appreciate and hope what they said they are honest, and even if that still makes me very concerned - I hope for Gorge to come back and better than ever. :B

Any-hoo, expect Winnie The Pooh as the next DLC future character.

Archived