[Game Update] - 442403

• Developer

The Beta Branch is open again, this time with our farming rework, Reap What You Sow.

Although this is not a Return of Them update we will be using the Don't Starve Together: Return of Them bug tracker and forums for this beta. The "Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta\" folder will also be used for all save data.

This is a pretty substantial update in terms of impact so we need your feedback on bugs and as well as tuning, so please don't be shy. To be clear, there are a lot of things we need to dial in to get the tuning right for this, so tell us what you think, this is not final. There are a number of strings that have not been completed and there are still some items in development, such as the Composting Bin and the Lord of the Fruit Flies so this will be filled out more as we approach release. 

You can follow the directions here to join the beta.

And the announcement post can be found here.

Farming Rework

• Survivors can now plow fields and sow seeds to grow the crops of their dreams
  • Each vegetable has their own unique plant with preferred growing seasons and type of nutrients
  • Stay close and tend to your crops and you will be rewarded.
  • Neglecting crops won't be the death of them, but you might regret it.
  • Be sure to cull weeds before they become a problem
  • Use the Gardeneer Hat to research plants and track your progress via the Plant Registry 
  • Farm like the Ancients with the Premier Gardeneer Hat and learn your plants’ every desire

Changes

• Disease has been removed from transplanted plants
  • The random plant chosen from Seeds is now affected by the season
  • Feeding a Bird in the Birdcage a veggie, will return one seed of the same plant.
  • Increased the amount of time flowers will stay fresh in the End Table
  • The End Table now accepts Forget-Me-Lots and Lune Tree Blossoms
  • Adjusted the Bunnyman’s loot table
  • Birds in the Birdcage will now eat raw monster meat but not cooked eggs

Wormwood Changes

• Is not affected adversely by the Spiny Bindweed and Firenettles
  • Can determine a plant’s needs without the use of technology
  • Can still plant seeds anywhere, but some of the plant’s needs will not be met unless in a farm plot

Applied Horticulture Changes

• Affects up to 10 plants
  • Transplanted plants, that require fertilizing, will have an extra harvest consumed
  • Adjusted the recipe

Bug Fixes

• Players can now combine stacks of objects when the target is floating in the ocean.

View full update

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Health 1
  • GL Happy 1

Just now, X-lem said:

My beta dedicated server keeps downloading version 441390. Any other dedicated server hosting having this issue or just me?

Same. This is the .bat that I'm using:

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 -beta returnofthembeta +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster ReapWhatYouSowBeta -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster ReapWhatYouSowBeta -shard Caves

Am I doing anything wrong/

The Applied horticulture nerfs are still something that I'm hugely troubled about.

• The cost was raised to 5 seeds and 5 manure, in addition to the 2 papyrus. In all honestly, this is probably the change I can take the most. It's certainty not the end of the world, you just need ways to farm more manure.
  • The crop growth, on the other hand, was just as I feared: It only regrows 10 plants period. It doesn't matter if it's a row of crops, a field of grass, or even trees, the book will only ever regrow 10 plants tops. Maxwell also shares a similar effect.
  • The double hit to harvesting means grass plants will only get 10 growth cycles tops. I don't feel too annoyed by this, but it also isn't very fun, either.

Overall, I'm very troubled with these nerfs. Megabasing is something I always enjoyed, and applied horticulture helped a ton with that. Having it nerfed so severely is really sad for me to see, especially 8000+ days in where I don't enjoy mass farming grass/twigs/reeds.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

7 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

The Applied horticulture nerfs are still something that I'm hugely troubled about.

• The cost was raised to 5 seeds and 5 manure, in addition to the 2 papyrus. In all honestly, this is probably the change I can take the most. It's certainty not the end of the world, you just need ways to farm more manure.
  • The crop growth, on the other hand, was just as I feared: It only regrows 10 plants period. It doesn't matter if it's a row of crops, a field of grass, or even trees, the book will only ever regrow 10 plants tops. Maxwell also shares a similar effect.
  • The double hit to harvesting means grass plants will only get 10 growth cycles tops. I don't feel too annoyed by this, but it also isn't very fun, either.

Overall, I'm very troubled with these nerfs. Megabasing is something I always enjoyed, and applied horticulture helped a ton with that. Having it nerfed so severely is really sad for me to see, especially 8000+ days in where I don't enjoy mass farming grass/twigs/reeds.

well i hope you can still enjoy the game after this nerf to applied horticulture 

Edited by stranger again
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The farms were hated due to being very time-consuming and not very rewarding compared to other food sources. Now they are even more time-consuming and even more complex. And I thought replanting seeds every time was bad. How about making a hole for plant every time?

Didn't think I'd miss the old farms. Oh, and the nerf to growth book - RIP mass reeds farming.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Considering the fact that I almost never find spots with 10 or more reeds close to each other I would say that the cost increasement was the biggest nerf on her book, since other 2 nerfs don't affect her reed farming abilities at all, unless you're lucky enough to get a Reed Field Trap on your world.

i still hope that the old farms are still a thing and work how they dit and the new farm field is more work but more reward and to make it i guess more balanced make it so that normal farm plots can only grow random seeds but the farm field can grow known seeds and can give you more food and seeds then farm plots i feel like that way everyone will be happy use normal farms but get only random stuff but its no much work for them and or use farmfields to make sure you get the exact food you want and get more but you have to work for it i mean the seafishin dit not just replace pond fishiin it gaves you more option so thats how i feel like and i hope klei you will give us both option for farms and not just replace one workin thing whit something overly complex