[Game Update] - 442403

7 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

The Beta Branch is open again, this time with our farming rework, Reap What You Sow.

Although this is not a Return of Them update we will be using the Don't Starve Together: Return of Them bug tracker and forums for this beta. The "Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta\" folder will also be used for all save data.

This is a pretty substantial update in terms of impact so we need your feedback on bugs and as well as tuning, so please don't be shy. To be clear, there are a lot of things we need to dial in to get the tuning right for this, so tell us what you think, this is not final. There are a number of strings that have not been completed and there are still some items in development, such as the Composting Bin and the Lord of the Fruit Flies so this will be filled out more as we approach release. 

You can follow the directions here to join the beta.

And the announcement post can be found here.

Farming Rework

• Survivors can now plow fields and sow seeds to grow the crops of their dreams
  • Each vegetable has their own unique plant with preferred growing seasons and type of nutrients
  • Stay close and tend to your crops and you will be rewarded.
  • Neglecting crops won't be the death of them, but you might regret it.
  • Be sure to cull weeds before they become a problem
  • Use the Gardeneer Hat to research plants and track your progress via the Plant Registry 
  • Farm like the Ancients with the Premier Gardeneer Hat and learn your plants’ every desire

Changes

• Disease has been removed from transplanted plants
  • The random plant chosen from Seeds is now affected by the season
  • Feeding a Bird in the Birdcage a veggie, will return one seed of the same plant.
  • Increased the amount of time flowers will stay fresh in the End Table
  • The End Table now accepts Forget-Me-Lots and Lune Tree Blossoms
  • Adjusted the Bunnyman’s loot table
  • Birds in the Birdcage will now eat raw monster meat but not cooked eggs

Wormwood Changes

• Is not affected adversely by the Spiny Bindweed and Firenettles
  • Can determine a plant’s needs without the use of technology
  • Can still plant seeds anywhere, but some of the plant’s needs will not be met unless in a farm plot

Applied Horticulture Changes

• Affects up to 10 plants
  • Transplanted plants, that require fertilizing, will have an extra harvest consumed
  • Adjusted the recipe

Bug Fixes

• Players can now combine stacks of objects when the target is floating in the ocean.

View full update

It's happening. They're turning dst into a farming simulator! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

As a Wickerbottom player, who mostly plays Wickerbottom all of the time, the Nerf to only grow 10 plants is a bit too much in my opinion. 
Wickerbottom's first strength comes from her first book "Applied Horticulture" and that what makes her a really good team player, but now since she can only grow 10 plants per book read, it affects us Wicker mains because 10 grass or 10 twigs or 10 berries is gonna cut it, not to mention the crafting nerf of that book.

My suggestion would be, let Wicker still grow all of the plants in the screen, but give it a penalty, or like a book cooldown, or like after that harvest everything that grew cuz of Applied Horticulture needs fertilizing. So that Wicker players, can remain being a powerhouse when it comes to producing a ton of resources (grows plants on all of the screen) while giving it a penalty still.

Another suggestion of mine is book cooldown, let Wicker be able to grow everything on screen but u can only use the book once per day, so that they can still mass farm but it's only once per day

• Like 2

I have never been a fan of the farming mechanic that has existed in the game. My reasoning:

I strongly believe that this game is a time management game before anything else. You have to manage your time and resources wisely to prepare for the major road blocks the game throws at you. Most players hated the old farming system because it was inefficient. The output did not justify the time and resources put into it, especially when there were better alternatives to the Improved Farm (e.g. a single berry bush, or almost anything else).

However, with the new farming system introduced, I have to say that I am not a fan, either. Here’s why.

• The aforementioned time management issue. I do not know the math behind the new system, so I cannot compare it to the old one. However, I noticed that there is much, much more player involvement than before, of which I am not a fan. Tending and watering crops is time consuming. It seems like a huge time sink when there are better options out there.
  • Farming encourages a passive playstyle, one that discourages risk-taking. When you have all of the food you need right in your base, there is less of a reason to leave your base. There is less of a need to take more "risky" endeavors such as going after koalefants/tallbirds/etc.

Like the old system, it seems novel, and its usefulness is questionable. I think it’s an okay addition for later in the game when there is less to do and you can play around with decorating and whatnot. However, the early game applications seem less than ideal.

Now, about those Wickerbottom nerfs…

I agree with what Maxil said earlier: the cost increase and fertilization are annoying, but the nerf to the maximum amount of plants is what takes the cake. I have a few ideas as to why this was put into place:

• Nerfing the exploit with growing Wormwood’s plants. I am perfectly fine with this nerf, actually. Most likely not the main culprit, but I could see why, though.
  • Since disease was removed, this was most likely put into place to deter players from moving all the world’s resources to one spot. It’s understandable. Moving all of the resources to one spot in the world makes it difficult for players who join the server later in the game. However, this severely hinders mega-basing; long-term worlds usually consist of the same established player(s) (people play this game by themselves, too), and there is seldom need for resources to be readily available for new players in these circumstances.

The nerf to the maximum amount of plants diminishes Wickerbottom’s value as a team player. As someone who frequently plays this character, I tend to wait until later in the game before I begin to produce materials en-mass, and this nerf is a hindrance when it comes to progressing into the later stages of the game. It also just doesn’t seem right nerfing her when other characters received powerful buffs with their reworks.

• Like 5

Many people who play or don't play Wicker who don't agree with the Applied horticulture nerfing stated their points and I agree with almost all of them, so i am not going to retype my complaints. But please do reconsider this, Klei. The nerf is very abrupt, very absurd, and too extreme in my opinion. I mean I get that you make the recipe more expensive, you can even throw in thulecite fragments for all I care, but to only affecting 10 plants at a time with the same sanity penalty and book percentage? This actually makes that book completely obsolete and there becomes no point to make and read it at all, unless in absolute emergency. I mean, if the book can't affect the new plant crops, or reading the book one time will require fertilization again, or if one read of the book with the usual coverage with bigger penalty (more sanity drop or cool down, or even cutting Wicker's hp), I would take it, as the book would be still useful in a community server setting. The 10 plants per read makes it totally useless, unless I am making my own base and have no care about other players in such a comm server setting.

This Wicker nerf actually scares me. Imagine if Klei can nerf one book like this, how they will go for the other books and other Wicker advantages. I hope she will not become a slightly better Wilson and completely obsolete / no joy to play. I actually consider Wigfrid quite OP, yet she did not receive a nerf.

The new farming system is more interesting than the old ones for sure, yet also becoming very complicated and time consuming, and totally not suitable for first or second year gameplay espc for the average player. Yet this is a relatively ok development compared to the Wicker book nerf.

Sorry for the rant and I don't want to sound like an ungrateful imbecile; I love the game and had a lot of fun, and Klei's DST updates almost never failed to give joy and excitement, and it amazed me that Klei almost always get everything right. But please do reconsider the applied horticulture nerf.

• Like 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

5 minutes ago, meowswing said:

Many people who play or don't play Wicker who don't agree with the Applied horticulture nerfing stated their points and I agree with almost all of them, so i am not going to retype my complaints. But please do reconsider this, Klei. The nerf is very abrupt, very absurd, and too extreme in my opinion. I mean I get that you make the recipe more expensive, you can even throw in thulecite fragments for all I care, but to only affecting 10 plants at a time with the same sanity penalty and book percentage? This actually makes that book completely obsolete and there becomes no point to make and read it at all, unless in absolute emergency. I mean, if the book can't affect the new plant crops, or reading the book one time will require fertilization again, or if one read of the book with the usual coverage with bigger penalty (more sanity drop or cool down, or even cutting Wicker's hp), I would take it, as the book would be still useful in a community server setting. The 10 plants per read makes it totally useless, unless I am making my own base and have no care about other players in such a comm server setting.

This Wicker nerf actually scares me. Imagine if Klei can nerf one book like this, how they will go for the other books and other Wicker advantages. I hope she will not become a slightly better Wilson and completely obsolete / no joy to play. I actually consider Wigfrid quite OP, yet she did not receive a nerf.

The new farming system is more interesting than the old ones for sure, yet also becoming very complicated and time consuming, and totally not suitable for first or second year gameplay espc for the average player. Yet this is a relatively ok development compared to the Wicker book nerf.

Sorry for the rant and I don't want to sound like an ungrateful imbecile; I love the game and had a lot of fun, and Klei's DST updates almost never failed to give joy and excitement, and it amazed me that Klei almost always get everything right. But please do reconsider the applied horticulture nerf.

Relax. Wicker is still the most powerful character in the game, full-stop. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lanaaa said:

Relax. Wicker is still the most powerful character in the game, full-stop. 

Wicker is not. Wolfgang is. Wicker's way of playing provides more room to think creatively.

In a community server you want a reservoire of grass, twigs, logs, rocks, and basic food for crafting and surviving. Some players focus on farming meat and some farm bosses. Not all farm basic resources. And these players have very little time to farm basic resources, too. In a solo world, then yes, this nerf does not affect me.

But since everyone is like "relax Wicker should be nerfed to oblivion because she is way too broken etc etc", I will just shrug and main another character then, when most cooperative servers are already full of Wig, Wendy, and Wortox.

Bunnymen farm nerf is warranted, infinite bird egg nerf is also warranted, I would say. Disease? We can always turn it off. I would like a cure rather than just eradicate the problem.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

Dude, I'm disappointed with this update. We used to spend time building base and facing bosses, now we will spend twice as 
much time on farms and on the farm. I don't play Wickerbottom, but I saw great updates from other characters and I 
was surprised by the change they made to it. It's really sad. It may just be my first impression. In fact, I really hope it is only 
the first impression, because I was very disappointed.
And I'm sorry, but I really like a nice design on the base and the farms were very ugly. But it does. Just don't build these farms ...
Anyway, I hope to at least put an option in the creation of a world between “traditional world” and “very updated”, as in the case 
f kindling and berries.
Edited by Tha Veloso

11 hours ago, 4potatoes said:

much, much more player involvement than before

previous time spent gathering 10 grass 6 manure and 4 rocks (improved farm) for 1 plant is replaced by minimal material setup costs (1 Garden machine makes space for 36 plants) and player involvement over time. Tending can be automated by running around with a one-man band across ur field, fertilizing can be automated by planting the correct combinations, whats left is water once a day, when its raining this step also is automated. All this for a permanent endlessly self-sustaining source of food. 

or you can opt to not tend to your plants and nothing much changes, you get 1 fruit/veg for every seed you planted. as things are rn you are rewarded for investing time in it but are not punished beyond the way it worked before if u just plant it and forget it. 

11 hours ago, 4potatoes said:

There is less of a need to take more "risky" endeavors such as going after koalefants/tallbirds/etc.

The core element of DST is multiple solutions to the same problem. This isnt a valid argument/complaint. if you prefer to hunt or forage you can still do that if u want to farm as your major source of food you can now finally do that without needing to dump 66% of ur harvest in a bird. 

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 2

Hello, Klei forums! With the Reap What You Sow update coming, would you guys want The Gorge for console/PC without needing mods? This uipdate brings a huge chunk of Gorge mechanics, like the farmland and sowing seeds with a Hoe lets hope Klei will do it with the farming mechanics being so close to The Gorge‘s farming mechanics.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:55 AM, shadowDigga said:

The farms were hated due to being very time-consuming and not very rewarding compared to other food sources. Now they are even more time-consuming and even more complex. And I thought replanting seeds every time was bad. How about making a hole for plant every time?

Didn't think I'd miss the old farms. Oh, and the nerf to growth book - RIP mass reeds farming.

I do have to agree with this.

Let me be clear first.  As a person who really enjoys farming games, like star dew valley and just farming stuff in game and 'crafting/cooking' them.  I "like the change".  As it makes the farming tasks more complex or involving. 

However,  the rewards / benefits of the farming mechanics  is NOT  practically efficient in terms of survival game play.   There are many videos about this on youtube  that points out   the old farming was just not worth it at all.   you're better off making berries and doing berry recipes or other alternatives for food.    Farming before was tedious and too involving.  Involving can be good for those who like it but not the most  min/max optimal way of making use of your in game survival time.   This new mechanics has just made the farming task more involved thus worst as far as efficiency goes.   The reward isn't beneficial.     I noticed some of the plants die after harvest and require reseeding.    I think this process of reseeding needs to be very rare.    In real life, when you plant a stuff,  you don't reseed/replant, you harvest them and tend to them for regular regrowth and payouts.   A fruit tree for example gives you fruits over and over.     I think only wheat might require replanting.     

Maybe replanting seeds  should only be something  that should be done at the end of a season or the plant returns a seed but doesn't regrow after a full season or two or year. 

Also maybe make crafted food benefits better or last longer in hunger value ?  or some sort of  'effects such as  eating a dragon pie slows down your hunger rate or something.   Give speed boost?   heal over time, increase sanity over time.   

Basically, we need a better reward for sinking time into Farming. 

Edited by RonEmpire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

I think the amount of food that we can get is so good.

Today i was messing with combinations and, without being totally efficient, i get ~40tomatoes +~33seeds, ~30 dragonfruits+~26seeds, ~50 corns+~60seeds and ~19pomegranades+~14seeds

Was spring, i made only 2 harvest in a 2×2 field but i use arround of 50% of the terrain. I just expend few days making sure that all the nutriends were good and that my fly pet takes care of the plants.

The only part that takes time is unlocking all the crops info 

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1

I didn't get far enough for the nutrients and fly pet.   So maybe that actually makes things better.

I did notice some stuff are growing during winter which is kind of cool.

Edit:
Just discovered the fly pet.  pretty cool.   the gathering hat is a very nice additional actually.  glad its a permanent. like a cook book.    potatoes grow in winter which is cool.     though i don't quite understand the   nutrient stuff. those icons are hard to figure out.

Edited by RonEmpire

I love this beautiful love and attention given to farming, although I feel there are some things that need adjusting.

The main problem I feel in the update is Wickerbottom's Book Applied Horticulture.

I do think that her downgrade was a bot too harsh to her as a whole. I feel as if her book she creates should have the new recipe to not make it as easy to obtain, but the effects should be altered from the update. Applied Horticulture should only affect up to 10 Crops and that its old power would remain the same, meaning the nerf would only apply to crop and not Grass, Saplings, Trees or any other effected object.

Maybe if she stands on farmed turf that the applied horticulture only applies to the crops while when not standing on the turf that it acts like it's original variant.

The new farming update does introduce nutrients in the crops farming cycles and allows Players to play and experiment with different combinations of plants which is a great addition and gives much needed love and attention to the farming of food in Don't Starve Together. Although I feel as if the nutrient cycle may throw off new player who do not do research before playing and may not understand the new more sophisticated game mechanic.

Overall I have been a huge fan of Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together and love all the hard work and attention given to every aspect, but with the utmost sincerity I believe that some things may need to be revised. 

6 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

I didn't get far enough for the nutrients and fly pet.   So maybe that actually makes things better.

I did notice some stuff are growing during winter which is kind of cool.

Edit:
Just discovered the fly pet.  pretty cool.   the gathering hat is a very nice additional actually.  glad its a permanent. like a cook book.    potatoes grow in winter which is cool.     though i don't quite understand the   nutrient stuff. those icons are hard to figure out.

There is 3 nutrients and the need to stay in equilibrium so in that way you dont need to use fertilice

To know what plant consumes and gives nutrients you need to research with the hat

When you know the info of the crops you can plant them toguether to compensate the nutrients needs

Now i understand why you thought that. Is true that until you learn how it works, planting can be a black hole of materials because the lack of nutrients that your plants need

In the forum there is various guides about this but is so fun to figure by yourself if you have the patience (isnt that hard when you get it)

• Like 1

I payed for Wormwood special perk of planting seeds anywhere I like and now with this update, it makes him completely useless (the only good think left its farming living logs but 5 bucks only for that is ridiculous)

I need to see an improvement, something that keeps him useful. 

Talking to plants it’s not THAT good

Honestly when you start making farming actually usefull you could also start making Wormwood a bit more palatable.

-For example upping his numbers a bit. You need a lot of manure for a compost wrap but it only heals 30 HP? That seems pretty weird either make it 3 Manure or make it 50 HP.

-On top of that the doubled hunger train in Spring is pretty harsch for the disadvantage of the bees following you. 20% more speed is nothing to write home about and should definitly be adrresed.

-His plant interaction is also lacking tremendously. Sure he can soon tend to his buddies faster but there should be some more! I had in mind he can better fertilize like needing less rot/manure when fertilising but that feature is going away so that option went out.

Tl;Dr When helping the plants don't forget the moonplant!

28 minutes ago, ShakerGER said:

-For example upping his numbers a bit. You need a lot of manure for a compost wrap but it only heals 30 HP? That seems pretty weird either make it 3 Manure or make it 50 HP.
-His plant interaction is also lacking tremendously. Sure he can soon tend to his buddies faster but there should be some more! I had in mind he can better fertilize like needing less rot/manure when fertilising but that feature is going away so that option went out.

They upped the heal compost wrap gives from 30 to 45 in the beta, 30 hp instantly and 15hp over time.
I also think that his plant interactions with the new farming system is lacking.

Edited by Picklesaurus

I absolutely hate the changes to Wickerbottom’s Applied Horticulture and almost cried logging in today. Love the new event stuff going on, but I’m debating changing my main character. I would have been open to some type of penalty with the book myself like don’t use it, but removing her ability to grow everything in the screen felt crushing. Like, what’s the point anymore? I totally lost that WOW feeling I get as her book totally failed to do it’s supposed to. This was crushing and I hope you guys make changes ASAP  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XWeaponry said:

This was crushing and I hope you guys make changes ASAP  

hey man you seem to be a bit late:lol:

klei changed wicker about 3 weeks ago and i don't think they are planning on changing her(at least until her rework that is)