Now in testing - Reap what you Sow

3 hours ago, stranger again said:

hey @Sapientis 

whats your opinion on the new update?

Hay girl, hay!

I love Klei and their effort to still improve their game. As a long time MOBA player I'm sick and tired of balance and turning some characters upside down every month, so I enjoy DST with its not balanced characters, which were never meant to be balanced, but most of them, especially after their respective updates, are unique and fun to play.

This new beta-branch update got me confused at first, but when I tested everything myself I shrug any bad feelings off. If anyone else had or still has some concerns check @Zeklo's guide Farming 101 - Grow Like Never Before, which learns the basics of new farming with ease and shows how to optimize it to low maintenance with good harvest. New farming is harder to learn but can give much better outcome when used to its full potential and we got the Gardeneer Hat to learn that easier.

I love game changes we got. Mainly disease removal and Birdcage, but I also think Bunnyman drop adjust was reasonable. 

Wormwood in my opinion should tend plants just with his presence, because his ability to plant seeds anywhere isn't so useful anymore. 

Wickerbottom's Applied Horticulture change doesn't affect me that much, because I've learnt not to rely on it to gather resources. I don't have problems with food production and I didn't really use Lureplant farms because I always pen spawned Gekkos, it's better for longer worlds and isn't character specific way to acquire basic resources. On the other hand I understand people who get upset about it if they used it as their main source of grass/twigs/rocks/food. With new farm crops this change was much needed, but perhaps Klei will decide to change it back for other plants.

3 minutes ago, Sapientis said:

Hay girl, hay!

hmm do i seem like a female?

i had never considering that someone would think that im a female i thought it was pretty clear that i was a male 

or you just used "hay girl,hay"just normally in the way that some people like to call females "my guy"or "bro"

but to anyone wondering 

im not female(thats pretty obvious)

anyways thanks for giving your opinion @Sapientis

1 hour ago, stranger again said:

hmm do i seem like a female?

i had never considering that someone would think that im a female i thought it was pretty clear that i was a male 

or you just used "hay girl,hay"just normally in the way that some people like to call females "my guy"or "bro"

but to anyone wondering 

im not female(thats pretty obvious)

anyways thanks for giving your opinion @Sapientis

Yeah, it's just me being gay, sorry :D

Plus it's a cheerful country welcome, not really meant to assume interlocutor's gender. It's quite hard to get one's gender in the Internet anyway because English has genderless verbs.

I didn't deduce your gender from your posts and I don't think anyone could deduce mine from my posts either, it's not that obvious in English.

I don't speak English, I use a translator:
I read that some players say that it is not necessary to plant, because you can survive on carrots, berries, butterflies and seeds. So I thought it should be even more necessary to plant. Perhaps not so many carrots appear, eating butterfly wings does not give hunger points, the seeds can only be eaten cooked. Something to force the player to have to plant after a while. ;-)

The new changes look really good, for sure. But I feel that a few of the mechanics are overcomplicated, and could stand to be simplified a bit. What I'd suggest:

• Nutrient mechanic. I feel this is the most overcomplicating mechanic, and the one that I mainly dislike about the new farms. I'd simplify it like this: Plants no longer need a variety of Manure/Compost/Growth Formula. Instead, the "Nutrients" is simply a value of how much the various crops deplete the farmland. With that, the Nutrient-items are also changed:
    • Manures (Manure, Guano, Bucket-of-Poop etc) -> Replenishes the depleted farmlands, like how it used to work with the old farms.
    • Growth Formula -> Apply to specific plants to make them grow much, much faster. Has more uses per bottle
    • Compost - > Could work similar to Manures, but is more effective.
  • "Family"-mechanic - Makes plants grow faster, nothing else. No longer necessary to gain giant crops.

With that, you don't HAVE to plant a specific set of plants - nor in specific patterns - to selfsustain one another and/or get giant crops. Note that there'd still be many things to maintain (Happiness, Watering, Weeds, Manures to replenish exhausted farmland, Proper season), so it's not like it would be an effortless endeavour. It would add a lot of freedom to it though.

1 minute ago, stranger again said:

how powerful?

well I guess not powerful but now that you have the more options for his crockpot year round he could be more practical then before when if you don't have a farm set up before winter you can miss out on the majority of crockpot foods which is really bad because if you keep eating the same recipe then the amount of food gained is less each time

2 hours ago, Sapientis said:

Yeah, it's just me being gay, sorry :D

Plus it's a cheerful country welcome, not really meant to assume interlocutor's gender. It's quite hard to get one's gender in the Internet anyway because English has genderless verbs.

I didn't deduce your gender from your posts and I don't think anyone could deduce mine from my posts either, it's not that obvious in English.

Hay girl, hay! :D

13 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

Hay girl, hay! :D

:wilson_blush:

31 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

has no one mentioned that with the year round source of crops Warly seems like a much more powerful character in solo at least better to me

what do others think?

He definitely does, but not only because of being able to obtain crops in every season. Farms are now much cheaper to set up and I mean MUCH cheaper. A single Garden Rigamajig can give space for 36 seeds planted at once for a cost of 3 Boards, 2 Ropes and 2 Flints plus additional 2 twigs and 2 flints per Garden Hoe. You need to water them from time to time, but they will probably yield some specific seeds much sooner than with previous farming system. And if you worry about nutrients you can always make another farm and dig out the previous one.

26 minutes ago, Sapientis said:

He definitely does, but not only because of being able to obtain crops in every season. Farms are now much cheaper to set up and I mean MUCH cheaper. A single Garden Rigamajig can give space for 36 seeds planted at once for a cost of 3 Boards, 2 Ropes and 2 Flints plus additional 2 twigs and 2 flints per Garden Hoe. You need to water them from time to time, but they will probably yield some specific seeds much sooner than with previous farming system. And if you worry about nutrients you can always make another farm and dig out the previous one.

Reading this made me really excited to try warly with the new farm changes!
The idea of a chef that tends to his farm, makes awesome dishes with crops he grew himself and gets some giant contest winning sized fruits and vegetable  from time to time is really cool.

Okay guys seriously we have seen fishing get a overhaul and become more complex now farms have gotten an overhaul & become more complex.

Disclaimer: Complex does not = harder or more annoying, Complex in my mind simply means deeper interaction & more player involvement which in my opinion means more fun.

But there are other parts of the game players have been wanting overhauls for just as much if not even more so then farms and fishing.

Pets adopted from Critters Den should function more like Year of The Carrat (in my opinion the best pet the game ever had)

Beefalo Taming should be easier, or at least EASIER TO UNDERSTAND Without using a Wikipedia website-

But instead of just rambling on and on about that here’s some pretty hard to deny proof of evidence to back it up:

30C2A78E-06FC-4917-92D3-27A8A16A1E75.thumb.png.aad11bbe0c84c174f3a15d43f5504710.png

yes you see that clearly, the last and hardest achievement for me to get in this game was to Tame A Beefalo.. I had less trouble killing Dragonfly, Ancient Guardian, AND finding that 10% chance drop for Shelmet and Slurtle Shell Armor then I did in taming a freaking Beefalo...

Reap what you Sow and Hook, Line & Inker have both been updates almost entirely designed around redesigning Farming and Fishing respectively.. So I’m just wanting to point this out now for those future re-designs in future updates.

2 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

well I guess not powerful but now that you have the more options for his crockpot year round he could be more practical then before when if you don't have a farm set up before winter you can miss out on the majority of crockpot foods which is really bad because if you keep eating the same recipe then the amount of food gained is less each time

totally, less effort to grind onions and peppers with all the other crops needed filling a good variety of dishes of all kind

This new farming mechanic is actually more simple than it looks. It's, intimidating at first. But it's a lot like basic circuitry, looks complicated. But actually isn't. It's just a matter of finding the right combinations and talking/ playing music (Same thing, fulfilling happiness). You can only have a one-sided conversation at a time, but it does the same thing as playing music. Just less efficiently. A 2x1 garden with a potato+carrot+corn combination that's tended to (Water, fulfilling happiness.) Each tile can hold 9 tilling spaces, which means a 2x1 plot have 3 rows of 6. 1 row for each plant species. Can net giant plants, which give about 2-4 crops. This doesn't apply to the edges because they don't have the family bonus. But it still works out. Each row nets somewhere between or above 11-13 carrots/potatoes/corn with this method (They took about 4-5 days it grow). So it's actually well worth the wait and you only use a small fraction of your time to tend to it (If you have a small plot, that is). I'm going to bet that someone (Or several) on here just looked at the patch notes and thought it was too complicated without actually trying anything. The old method, in Autumn on default settings would only net 1-2 crops in the same 4-5 days. 

Or, in other words. It's more complicated on paper than it actually is in practice. And more beneficial in practice than it seems on paper, like @Mike23Ua said. Complexity doesn't = more tedious work and less benefit outright. Complexity = Deeper mechanics and more player interaction than just shoving a seed in the ground. Which may or may not be more beneficial and not outright inefficient without any reasoning or evidence to back that up. 

Trigger warning, opinions and suggestions.

You know what this update really needs?:
MORE FLOWERS! More flowers and more sort of garden shrubbery for base building, maybe some prettier weeds or ways to tame the wild flowers and make them bigger and prettier, I hoped there'd be decorative flowers and I could begin on making shrubbery or something instead of berry bushes and grass, y'know.

Marble shrubbery from A New Reign are nice, but you can't really sculpt and customize them to look nicer. Would really like to be able to tame them in their biggest or smallest states and ornament them or something like so.

Potted ferns are nice, succulents can't be cultivated to make more which is sad and terribly hard to get. Only way to get more is just spamming telelocator to get some rain and reset the oasis desert for more succulents. Or moslings with that one bug on trapping them for it.

Wicker nerf on the horticulture is a resource gathering downgrade to Wicker players, but doesn't completely take away her playability considering her kit is still overpowered (Geckos work well as an alternative and it always made me happy since, twig farming, eeeeehhhh- yea, that one's a downgrade since it's not as fun to gather with the twiggies). I think books should be expensive without the nerfs, remove the durability and add cooldowns instead. Add AOE to Horiculture like from forge to cast on plants, either to speed up the growth or grow them instantly with it... Especially if this is the actual case for that if Wicker is gonna be reworked as the next character on the list consider spells to work like that or something like so.

ok for the other things in farming - the update itself is super great and I feel never been happier to eat potato puree every day.
I feel like I'm cooking more sorts of dishes I've never cooked before due to the amount of food I get and the variety I get to grow is just awesome.
I never had so much salsa and I will never have enough salsa in the game now.
Dragon pies are now one of best foods in the game cause of this update. Or just cooked fruits that give health alone is now enough.
Pierogi feels almost irrelevant.
Meatballs are poor people food.

TL;DR

Gib flowers for base building to replace berry bushes and such
Marble shrub customization and growth stunting is needed
Succulent renewability succs
Wicker ooga booga meta, fix plant book pls
I love gardening, I love you Klei.

Suggestion
I really like the look of the gardening plots, and I think it works great with other plants too. I think it would be cool if you could flatten all of the tilted dirt in your plots, since you cant place bushes on tilled spots its a little difficult to set this up, but it looks nice.  I think it would be cool if you can plant bushes on the dirt and maybe get benefits for planting on dirt over regular land. With the nerf to wicker, I feel like if maybe planting bushes in the dirt tiles could make them grow a little bit faster or something would be kinda nice too. 

Either way, I really like how bushes look in the dirt.

Don't Starve Together Screenshot 2020.11.30 - 20.39.13.52.png

3 hours ago, locojacob said:

When will the full update be ready? And when will it stop being beta?

Hopefully ASAP :(

I want to start trying out the new farming on ps4 so badly... would've been nice to get it before the Winters Feast update so that we could focus on farming for a bit before needing to focus on the seasonal stuff..

There's no way I'm staying in base and farming when there is holiday cheer, festive lights and baubles and presents to be farming/collecting.... I'd rather rare skins and items you can only get for roughly a month each year then veggies and fruits =P

Archived