Farming 101 - Grow Like Never Before

You know I've never really written many guides to apologies before hand, but let's just dive right into it!
Due Note: This is based on my experience and not code. Data-divers may correct or tweak what is stated here!

How to Get Started - Basics

Farmplots are no more! First thing you need to make is a Garden Rigamajig for 3 Boards, 2 Rope, & 2 Flint found in the Food Tab. This object can be placed along a grid to create a spot of farmland after a couple of seconds. It has 4 uses, and each square can hold 9 crops. Make sure to dig up any Garden Debris with a shovel to make room.

BJfknc4.jpg

Next you're going to need a Hoe (or several) for 2 Twigs & 2 Flint from in the Food Tab. Each Hoe has 25 uses, and is used for creating spots for planting seeds on your existing farmland. Both mechanics play out very much like they did in the Gorge.

Take this time to also craft a Watering Can for 2 Boards & 1 Rope in the Food Tab. This will be used later to water an entire farmland tile.

Knowing Your Plants - Research

If you've already researched the plants or are using the (not yet updated) wiki, you can skip this step. Otherwise go ahead and craft yourself a Gardeneer Hat for a Bucket of Poop, 3 Seeds, & an Electric Doodad. This hat has no durability and is primarily used to view and update your "Plant Registry" much like the recipe book. The hat has two primary functions:

• Research - With the hat equipped, you can research a crop's current stage. There are 5 basic stages: Seed, Sprout, Small, Medium, & Grown, as well as 2 hidden stages: Giant & Rotting. You only need the basic stages to unlock information on the crop.
    Due Note - You can only get the Seed stage from specific seeds. Normal seeds will grow into a random Sprout.
  • Inspect - After a plant has been Tended (will be discussed later) you will be given the option to Inspect. This will prompt your character to comment on the current status of the plant. If there is something making the plant unhappy, it will be said here. Otherwise they will state the plant is doing well. This is what we're aiming for!

There are three main components to a plants needs as seen in the Plant Registry: Season, Water Consumption, Nutrients.

• Season - Self explanatory, the best season for the plant to grow happy.
  • Water Consumption - Self explanatory, the level of moisture a plant needs to grow happy.
  • Nutrients - There are three types of Nutrients: Manure, Compost, & Growth Formula. Different plants will consume as well as produce nutrients. This is the most important detail to understand, as it'll form the basis of what plants you pair together when farming. Nutrients are visible while looking at a farmland tile, but are made much easier to discern with the Premier Gardeneer Hat from the Ancients Tab.

HdQKNHn.jpg

Beyond these three there are three others:

• Happiness - Talking to a plant (right-click), or playing music to it (via Conch, Flute, Band, or a new item) will satisfy a plants' happiness. You need to tend to your plants once per growth stage.
  • Family - Plants will need to be next to (4) plants of the same kind to meet this criteria. Keep this in mind when planting.
  • Killjoys - Plants must NOT be next to any "Killjoys" also known as Weeds. There are 4 different kinds of weeds: Fire Nettles, Forget-Me-Lots, Spiny Bindweed, and Tillweed. Make sure to keep these out of your garden (or at least seperated)!

The Actual Process - Farming

The example listed is OUTDATED. The logic stands, but the nutrient consumption/production rates of the plants have changed.

Let's start with a simple example: Onion & Pepper. Onion & Pepper are both able to be grown in Autumn, and have directly opposite Nutrient usage, and rate. (One consumes Manure at a rate of 3, while producing Growth Formula at a rate of 3 while the other consumes Growth Formula at a rate of 3 while producing Manure at a rate of 3.)

YYY8Fiu.jpgsM3QBc6.jpg

Essentially, so long as you have an equal amount of onions to peppers within a single plot the crops will maintain the nutrients themselves.

W3JyDUh.jpg

As you can see here, within each tile I use 8/9 of the spots with an equal distribution of Onion & Pepper. Plus I try to make sure that each crop is next a couple of their own (4) to hit that Family criteria. So long as these are being grown in Autumn all I need to worry about is Watering & Happiness—and possibly weeds due to the unused spots.

What's The Next Step?

Not all crops have a convenient opposite, and even if they do you may end up wasting space to maintain the nutrients. The trick is finding what plant combinations work for the best result. You don't need a perfect ratio, but then you'll have to periodically Fertilize the plot which is an added step you can avoid with some proper planning.

Fertilizer

Fertilizer can be used to instantly add a specific type (or types) of Nutrients to your plots. To my understanding, each plot tile starts with a random amount between 20 to 40 of each nutrient and can hold a total of 100. This means you are allowed to use crop combinations that result in a net loss, so long as there's enough nutrients for the growing stages (sprout, small, medium). Just make sure you bring the nutrients back up with Fertilizer before planting your next batch!

Spoiler

ryNZAEd.jpg

GM0mgGC.jpg

F&Q

How do I get Giant Crops?
As far as I can tell, if you meet all the plants needs (& don't let it drop) you are guaranteed a Giant Crop (running out of nutrients ruins this)!
Tip - Make sure to pre-water & pre-fertilize (if the soil is off) before planting the seeds. This way you don't stress the plants out while planting.

What's the deal with Fruitflys?
After 35 days the Lord of the Fruit Flies can spawn if there's a harvest/rot of 10 or more plants together. After which he will spawn in the next 20 days if the same criteria is met. Also, I believe the timer is reduced by half a day when a crop rots. So take care of your plants!

Is Wormwood trash now?
Unfortunately, Wormwood doesn't excel at gardening (via the new system) more than anyone else. In fact, I would avoid planting without a hoe, as the crop placement is incredibly finnicky right now and crops may not be considered "on the tile" even if they appear to be.

Combinations

There's a handy thread right here for some top-notch combinations:

Final Notes

I might go into weeds & some other specifics/details at a later point. I've got other things to do today, but just wanted to get the basics out for those who are confused. Questions/Corrections are of course welcome. Happy farming!

T9xPZ9R.jpg

1 minute ago, Wardin25 said:

So, an arrow pointing down means it creates those nutrients, not that it doesnt want them, and an arrow pointing up means that it requires them? (whathever it means, thank you for the explanation and youre the best person ever)

I believe it's down for consume, and up for produce as you would expect. It's confusing because the Plant Registry labels for Manure & Growth Formula seem to be reverse. Otherwise Manure doesn't actually add any manure nutrients...

1 minute ago, Zeklo said:

I believe it's down for consume, and up for produce as you would expect. It's confusing because the Plant Registry labels for Manure & Growth Formula seem to be reverse. Otherwise Manure doesn't actually add any manure nutrients...

k, imma try it with dragonfruit and see what happens

also, each water symbol means one watering right?

i refuse to read this because i want to learn it all by myself 

but im gonna guess since this made by @Zeklothat its a guide so thanks zeklo for making this for people who don't want to waste their time learning everything in the new update

hope you all have a wonderful day or night wherever you are in the world

3 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

k, imma try it with dragonfruit and see what happens

also, each water symbol means one watering right?

There are 4 visual layers of moisture on the farmland and the plants' consumption only ever go up to 3 droplets on the Plant Registry. I doubt each plant will consume an entire layer of moisture, but I don't know the precise number each layer represents.

You need to tend to your plants once per growth stage, not per day.

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

What do giant crops do and also I'm not a fan of how different the plants look compared to the actual crops when you harvest them

Giant crops, which you get from basically taking near-perfect care of the plants, can be hammer for 2 regular crops, 2 crop seeds and either a 3rd crop or a 3rd crop seed. So a single farm tile can give you 18-27 crops in 4 days.

Just a little tip, the projectiles from Fire Pumps can water farm plots so you could place some farm plots next to the ocean with a fire pump nearby on a boat and you won't need a watering can. However the fire pump shoots projectiles randomly, you can however "aim" the projectiles by burning materials in the center of the farm plots.

14 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Just a little tip, the projectiles from Fire Pumps can water farm plots so you could place some farm plots next to the ocean with a fire pump nearby on a boat and you won't need a watering can. However the fire pump shoots projectiles randomly, you can however "aim" the projectiles by burning materials in the center of the farm plots.

Is there such a thing as watering your plants too much. Some of them do not need a lot of water, but would they get "stressed" if you gave them a lot of water anyway?

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

beastiary 

wait....wait a second 

a beastiary...omg why haven't klei thought of this sooner

(ive always had the idea of a beastiary for DST in my head but never suggested it because im too lazy)

23 minutes ago, Notecja said:

I'm a bit scared of this. Looks like I can't leave plants now, when I'm on travel around the world... 

You actually can leave them, worst case scenario you just get the crop and no seeds i believe. Best case scenario you get giant crops

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

About the giant crops, do they still spoil if they're up on the scale? It displays stats for them just like fish in the fish scale, so I would think maybe they stay fresh forever up there?

Doesn't seem like they do. Luckily not all that broken since they aren't too difficult to obtain.

48 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Is there such a thing as watering your plants too much. Some of them do not need a lot of water, but would they get "stressed" if you gave them a lot of water anyway?

As far as I can tell, no. Otherwise Spring would go from farming season to drowning season.

4 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

You actually can leave them, worst case scenario you just get the crop and no seeds i believe. Best case scenario you get giant crops

Dunno their exact mechanics but Lord Fruit Fly seems spawns quicker if crops rot. Or something like that, still haven't figured it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really hope they add Plant Registry sort options. Really needing to sort by season for quick pairing!

omg thank you so much for adding the combinations! that mustve taken a lot of investigative work! i was trying to decipher them yesterday but it was taking so long lol. 

7 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Is Wormwood trash now?
Unfortunately, Wormwood doesn't excel at gardening (via the new system) more than anyone else. In fact, I would avoid planting without a hoe, as the crop placement is incredibly finnicky right now and crops may not be considered "on the tile" even if they appear to be.

I also came to this realization and im so bummed out about it! :cry::cry::cry: Wormwood's wild crops are straight up worse now in several important ways compared to before where u traded longer grow time and spoilage on the vine for the ability to plant without huge resource investment via advanced farms. making farm plots is a lot cheaper now and everyone can practically plant as freely as Wormwood... as a quasi Wormwood main i sincerely hope Klei takes another look at Wormwood to make up for this 

very excited for the new way of farming but very bummed out for Wormwood :frown-new::wilson_cry:

Archived