Now in testing - Reap what you Sow

I’m going to assume that the people who think Wickers Applied Horticulture book was too OP has never actually properly utilized her other books such as a field full of Bird Traps and the Birds of the World book.

Wicker is, Was, and probably always will be (unless Klei Nerfs her beyond recognition) an absolutely AMAZING food resource gatherer.

But you have to factor in that Birds of The World also requires tons of Set-Up and preparation to utilize with either tons of traps placed or a Sleepy Time combo. Killing Spiders, getting Silk making Traps etc..

Horticulture required just as much (if not more) work then the above mentioned combo because it requires you to quest around the map and gather the various plants and trees you needed to grow your rewards.

again I come to the conclusion of if something is Overpowered let it be Overpowered but make sure that Overpowered status requires the player to have rightfully earned it- and in that regard I fully agree that the original Horticulture was flawed and too easy- but now it’s nerfed to the point of sounding like it’s not worth the effort put into it.

Klei didn’t require Wicker to venture into other areas of their game for unique ingredients like Wendy having to go to graveyards for Mourning Glory or Wigfrid to go get Spittle Fish for Fireproof Battle Scroll, They merely increased the amount of Seeds and Poop you need to spend your time to pick up both of which can easily be mass produced right where your standing.

Personally I feel like if your going to introduce new content into your game or even want to gradually introduce newbies to decades old already existing content- 

Forcing them to go out and actually get and bring back ingredients like Seaweed Barnacles or Slurtle Slime would have gave the book a proper Nerf.. without having to make it near absolutely useless.

I say this as a WENDY MAIN and a Secondary WIGFRID MAIN- Wendy has to go to X Specific Location, do Y Task, To get Z crafting Ingredient. Wigfrids Fireproof Scroll? Same Circumstances..

The TL:DR it further defines the character and gives them a specific role they need to fulfill. This becomes extra especially true when playing SOLO and you don’t have other players who can help go to X specific location, to help with Y task, to help you build your Z crafting Ingredient.

1 hour ago, Nikki Darks said:

See, this is very fair enough, you actually explained yourself without crying over "wicker ded, plz halp".

But like, to me, playing with a Wickerbottom, NEVER felt good.

Wicker made and still does make the game too easy, anything she does makes the game too easy,

And with how DST works, it makes the game easier for everyone else, and for a game as easy as DST... Yeah, no thank you.

Her functionality stays the same, Klei nerfed her most BRAINDEAD aspect, which is effortlessly farming UNREASONABLE amounts of resources and food, in a matter of seconds.

You can't tell me this doesn't break the whole idea of "Uncompromising SURVIVAL".

Also, there's the thing of absolutely feeling bad.

It doesn't feel good (to me at least) to play a character like Willow, Webber, etc, etc and have a Wicker who completely replaces my entire character's purpose by existing, even through different means.

If you have 1 Wickerbottom, and 10 Wesses, it wouldn't matter, the game would still play out the same way it would've with different characters.

Why? Because Wickerbottom takes every aspect of the game, flips it, and makes it incredibly easy.... And her downside?

Not being able to sleep :)

These nerfs are very welcome if you ask me, she feels reasonable now, and not like you're playing with creative on.

How does wicker step on willows toes? I kind of understand Webber, but willow seems like a stretch. 

2 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

You can't tell me this doesn't break the whole idea of "Uncompromising SURVIVAL".

Once you go into megabase territory, the survival aspect becomes a pretty small component; a lot or a little of the same excesses won't change survival chances that much, especially if those same excesses would only be going into cosmetic upgrades.

Yeah... I think I figured out why it also doesn't sit too well with me; it's a base cosmetic nerf for lategame players. Not a nerf for those who don't abuse Wickerbottom, sure, but a pretty big nerf for those who do. It also game-mechanic nerfs people in early stages too (which seems like it's a rather big nerf but can be justified because we're balancing the sheer OPness of Wickerbottom), but I'd argue that its unintended consequence is this huge lategame cosmetic nerf too (when survival isn't the biggest concern anymore).

2 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

If you have 1 Wickerbottom, and 10 Wesses, it wouldn't matter, the game would still play out the same way it would've with different characters.

Why? Because Wickerbottom takes every aspect of the game, flips it, and makes it incredibly easy.... And her downside?

These nerfs are very welcome if you ask me, she feels reasonable now, and not like you're playing with creative on.

I do agree that she feels more reasonable now, with not an overwhelming amount of food output as a result. The terraforming aspect of Wicker has been a huge part of her appeal to me since an early stage, but if people wanted to actually kill bosses, do other interesting things than just surviving, they'll eventually need to branch off for these aspects. Wigfrid for earlygame easy team survivability, Wendy for spider-bending (blending?) abilties, Wolfgang for rushing bosses, Woodie for chopping everything in sight, Maxwell for versatility in resource gathering, Winona for mass crafting and more elaborate base setups, Webber for... well Webber needs a buff, Wortox for easy team heals and speedrun ruins rushing, Wormwood for crops everywhere, Warly for special foods, Wurt for merms and the challenge.

Wicker's playstyle is hugely tied to the base itself. Pretty well-known also that Wickerbottom synergizes well with any character, partially because of how well terraforming goes with just about anything we do. People would eventually get bored of this playstyle, and I feel like Wickerbottom's just a phase that players go through. I remember thinking at one point that Wickerbottom is the best thing since grilled cheese sandwiches, but now she's just someone there to replace the resources when needed. 

I feel like, some days, I just want to play like creative is on. Like someone else mentioned, after I set up something that's elaborate enough to justify the insane rewards, I think it should be alright to reap those rewards. Just a personal preference, I think that's what it comes down to at the end of the day. Thanks for sharing your perspective though.

Though I still need to see how things turn out when the update is finally out, the Wicker nerf hurts a little. I agree with everything people said before, like that the recipe should just require more work etc.

10 Farmcrops affected? Well that alone would be totally fine. 10 grass? That's one drying rack, oof...

Also I don't really get how the ten plants affected by the book are chosen. Just closest proximity to Wicker? Only one type of plant at a time? Can somebody explain this?

Five seeds, two papyrus, ten poops are needed to craft one Applied Horticulture book.

This book can only be read by Wickerbottom to take effects.

This book could only be read twice.(Nerf the durability.)

This book could only be read one time per game day.

Wickerbottom must have more than 33 sanity to read this book.

The book takes effects just as before. (Not only 10 plants, but a full screen of plants.)

These are my ideas.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Whoa! This is lookin' real fun, ain't it?

Welcome Back, we now have a nerfed Wicker (which is still subject to more changes) and a whole new farming System and just so your not confused- this isn’t being considered as part of the Return of Them Update stuffs.

Also new Twitch drop for a very pretty Alchemy Engine skin. 

19 hours ago, Cheeto-Jesus said:

It does make the process a lot slower though. I'll only be able to get more out of my yield by walking by every 3 game days, and every time I walk by and unload the screen, I'll get about 100 more grass. That's gonna be a lot less than simply getting 1500 grass per sitting, with a lot more legwork involved. Imagine if fences, doors, tents, drying racks and hay walls costed 15x more in grass resources. (Rope costs 45 grass now.) If I'm trying to prevent grass geckos from spawning (they decrease tuft counts and make things look uneven), I'll only be collecting grass by this lureplant method; this production nerf pretty much means a 15x increase in time needed to collect grass for items needed on high volumes. 

If I did actually want to read, then I'll need to read 10x the book amounts to achieve the same results, which also means 50x higher manure and seed needs, not to mention a 10x papyrus cost increase. Pretty much forces the farm to be passive instead of active, and at that point I might as well go with a grass gekko pen. That'll lag my computer to high heaven, but it's gonna take a lot less input than what I'm currently looking at (which is a ritualized walk-through of plants every couple of days).

The whole point of the lureplant farm is to build things at scale. It harms nobody since the equipment made is structural for the most part. 

Disease is pretty accepted as an option for people to turn off. To myself (no judgement to others, they can play however they like), I feel like setting grass tufts to high violates the game somewhat. It also defeats the purpose in that I'm still harvesting transplanted grass, which takes a fair bit of manual (manure?) input and takes a long time to collect. More tedium. Overall it's just a nerf that's a bit hard for me to swallow.

Alright, so if I understand this correctly, is it more of the idea that you "want 1500 grass NOW" in one single day rather than let your lureplant farm passively harvest 1500 grass over many days or invest more time into making a larger lureplant farm?

The new update seems dope as it adds alot of new mechanics and imbues a new breath to what used to be only a noob trap, or something u tried to loop for dragonfruits only, unless u were warly or wormwood, in which case it still was a race about turbo feeding your bird and mindlessly replanting before winter came.
However, despite how happy i am about Klei pumping out new contents and trying to listen as much as possible to the playerbase, i see some crucial flaws:

THE CROPS:
While the new system is very deep, and also allows for synergies between crops to create a sorta of automation, thus rewarding knowledge and skill, it also looks like the game now is rotating alot around this, however it makes sense that if u want good hields you need to invest time and work in it; its still too early to judge how good and changing this is, for sure it looks fun, but I'm afraid it may encourage base sitting, or it may prevent people from exploring or taking long trips, basically creating a loop very similar to the first times of DST where people would just camp close to beefalos and spam rabbit traps with no actual risk or involvement.

WORMWOOD:
Won't lie, it really looks like wormy may lose some of his flavour now, bumt I'm more than confident that Klei will find a way to still have him as an unique character and new interactions and uniqueness will sprinkle up; if anything, the new seeding system avoids u racing the clock from day 1 up to the first winter where u got stuck in a loop of: rush a base to start planting, harvest, mass feed to a bird, repeat before winter strikes.
This basically meant u were not using much if not any of the products u were planting, while now u have crops AND seeds so you can decide how much you "invest" and how much you use. Time will tell, and if it turns out that our rooty boy is being outclassed by basically everyone with a hoe i think buffs/changes should be made.

WICKERBOTTOM:

I highlited this as hard as i could, cause the nerf hit the granny heavier than afking in the caves during an Antlion attack.
Wicker has always been one of my mains, if not THE main, not cause of tierlists, not cause speedruns, but because it felt so good being able to craft a backpack and a shovel right off the bat, and start my trip to terraform the land, using a pitchfork to carefully and precisely cut lines into the various turfs and place my saplings, bushes and twigs accordingly, turn it into berries and turkey farms, drying racks, etc etc.
Wicker is the defintion of early game base momentum, and that momentum would translate into a huge boost to start megabases, or would allow you to keep refilling the resources during the endgame when u REALLY need those, mostly for decorations or comfort, rather than survival, which leads me to the next point.
People always complained about WX, Wolfgang and Wicker, mostly because they offer alot and dont demand much back as downsides, as long as you know what you are doing, but this, cept wormwood, is true for every survivor; specifically talking about Wicker tho, while she provides huge benefits to the team, what she gives is mostly QoL or basic resources, thus saving time and tedium from some actions.
She can generate food for sure, but that's achievable from pretty much everyone, be it butterflies, rushing lunar, spider farms, pigs/bunny farms, honey and so on.
Another thing that I find important to bring to everyone's attention, is that Wickers have to work way harder than they are credited for, and most people only see the final result, without realizing that you had to: dig up all the bushes, grass and and saplings, replant them 1 by 1, go to the swamp and farm reeds and/or tentacle spots if you are setting up traps or boss kills, find a good source of manure, which in most cases is either rotten edibles or bulbs, if its bulbs that means you need to have the knowledge to fastly spot muddy biome, aka triangulate the ruins entrance or knowing very well the caves world gen pattern, get back to the surface and convert it to manure/rot, fetilize all the stuff 1 by 1, read the book and lose sanity in the process, pick everything 1 by 1, read again and so on, all of this before the first winter and whle collection stuff like gears, rocks and logs (not to mention that the berries wont last for so much anyway).
Is this an impossible task for a veteran? It's not and therefore it's fair you should be rewarded for it, but it shows how such results are not the mere fruit of "right click on the book and ez".
This is a PVE game for the most part, and the AH nerf doesn't affect the PVP aspect anyway, so IMO if you dont like some strat or survivor, simply don't use it.
However, i saw some people complaining that Wickers ruin their fun, and while i personally never really thought about it, I don't know why they are basing with others in the first place if being advantaged for that bothers them, and i also find this silly as this can be applied to every other survivor: Wolfgang ruining the fun soloing dragonfly with a perfect kiting, Wigfrid ruining the fun afk tanking the beefalos and giving you free  winter hats, Webber providing 12540 glands so you can keep healing and fixing your mistakes, Wendy handing you over pockets full of butterflies, Maxwell gifting logs etc etc; What do i mean? that the "Problem" isn't Wickerbottom, it's players playing MULTIPLAYER and complaining that other people are being efficent and pulling their own weight.
Sometimes it almost looks as if people are racing their mains against others, so they want X nerfed only so that Y can look better, rather than wanting Y buffed (of course its still a survival so if we keep buffing everything around, without buffing the hostile environment too, things may go south).
At the end of the day, AH was mostly used for twigs and grass, with a nice added early game bonus for bushes, and all those resources go into cosmetic customization or basic stuff, rather than creating a lethal weapon able to abuse any boss or enemy in the game, also now that quite some survivors got reworked, despite wicker being still a very consistent one, if we take AH away from her she loses most of her niche uses and identity (things as lichen and lureplant harvesting, for example, doesnt really exist anymore with the new AH).
What surprised me is that Wicker is as old as the game, and this triple nerf out of the blue, without a real explanation, it's very weird; at first i thought it was either a nerf preparing her to be reworked and rebuffed, or just a nerf to avoid abusing the new crop system and have, this way, unmasked stats about the crops efficency, however this doesn't seem the case seeing how this nerf directly targets grass turfs (stuff grown by AH and harvested makes it requiring to be re fertilized sooner).
Not much to add here, except i trust Klei and i wish they can find a solution to this, be it either having the book not interacting with crops, or having 2 separate books, 1 for crops etc etc, and one for resources such as trees, reeds, grass and saplings and/or bushes.
If wicker will stay gimped, we better expect a nice and juicy rework to bring her shining again.

WINONA:
While winona isn't mentioned in the patch note, seeing as all of this rotates about crops, I'd suggest finally making her spotlight useful, as a source of heat/light for the plants, therefore interacting with them and favouring their growth.

SKINS:

Love the razor skin and it lets me think that maybe, MAYBE, we will finally get a skin for the pitchfork aswell, one of my fav items that never got skinned so far (at least nor that i know of).

TL;DR: Wicker got super gutted especially when megabasing and gathering resources, things that did not add challenge but tedium and slow down her early game boost which is where shes supposed to shine, if you really want to keep the books nerfed the best solution may be to avoid it growings crops, or have 2 separate books for resources and for edibles or crops, wormwood may feel outclassed by the new system where everyone can plant stuff, the system is generally good tho. Winona may use some love for the spotlights working as a growing source for crops and PLEASE make a pitchfork skin.

4 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

lureplant farm passively harvest 1500 grass over many days

grass plucked has a chance of spawning grass geckos, thus destroying a single tuft. I'd rather get the grass in a day rather than risking a single item that can never be returned once lost because it was left for a little too long

On 11/26/2020 at 11:31 PM, Sapientis said:

For everyone worrying about Wickerbottom:
keep in mind she's been one of the best if not the best character in the game for quite some time.
She really is the definition of how cheating works in similar games.
Let her have a break, we are still to get an update on her.

:wickerbottomthanks:

Cheating? how a character that can't sleep and always have to keep in mind health food and sanity to keep her good and only had one good book to make plants grow and other that only work in WX is cheating? cus tentacle trap is so boring and annoying to make that would be better to JUST NERF THE TENTACLES instead of literraly DESTROYING her unique skill.

Wolfgang takes ZERO SKILL to play his is the unique character in the WHOLE GAME that walk faster enough in his might form that can dodge even DF in rage mod and deals double damage without any downside, you only need to eat when you gonna fight and he has so much sanity that he can easily beat deerclops without loosing more than 100 sanity better than wig that ALWAYS has to fight against shadow creature in boss fights because she don't have high sanity and insane hard crafts that don't help at all in the game,  i only use wicker farming book two or three times by season but since it grows everthing i don't need  to spam a lot but now? i'm gonna have to spend almost 10 days colleting resources to spam her power bebfore winter to get LESS than i would get with her normal state and guess what? since i waste ALL MY TIME to make her power viable i don't have any usefull items in my base.

This update is only to drag the game more, wicker was never OP is like people who say "Wortox is op" and always when you say "Can you heal me?" they reply "i don't have souls" and their are insane and without HP, 90% of the people who say wicker is easy and OP can't barely do anything usefull with her and this is true for wortox if klei is balancing the game around characters not being high reward so let's nerf WENDY, WORTOX, WOLFGANG, WIG, WOODIE(He cut trees to fast is op), MAXWELL(idle simulator and always get thousands of resources) and make all characters bee like. "You have this power but is so useless that you gonna play like a normal character without power".

Balanced character are characters that have unique powers but they have downsides that they have to deal, i would rather have a hard craft to her farm book instead of a book that barely do anything usefull now.

This update is great but the farming process don't worth the effort and wicker nerfs is unecessary just make the power don't affect the new crop since the devs want a farming simulator experience to their crops is just that, people who like farming will grow their plants and people who don't like farming are gonna grab a bunch of berries and make them grow with her book or let them grow normaly, balancing a game just because ONE SIDE of the comunity like to farm is not fair, is like to say "we gonna nerf all giants because the players who like farming can't deal with the giants" or "we gonna increase the health and dificulty of any mob because players who like fight aren't getting good battles". 

thats one aggressive comment @Lord Cafemaybe you should calm down?

just because you don't find wicker OP doesn't mean that others will think the same 

also you do need skill to play wolfgang if you told a newbie to play wolfgang they will die 

13 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

is like people who say "Wortox is op" and always when you say "Can you heal me?" they reply "i don't have souls"

that just means you're not good at playing wortox because he still (despite him being very OP)needs some skill to play 

15 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

See, this is very fair enough, you actually explained yourself without crying over "wicker ded, plz halp".

But like, to me, playing with a Wickerbottom, NEVER felt good.

Wicker made and still does make the game too easy, anything she does makes the game too easy,

And with how DST works, it makes the game easier for everyone else, and for a game as easy as DST... Yeah, no thank you.

Her functionality stays the same, Klei nerfed her most BRAINDEAD aspect, which is effortlessly farming UNREASONABLE amounts of resources and food, in a matter of seconds.

Also, there's the thing of absolutely feeling bad.

It doesn't feel good (to me at least) to play a character like Willow, Webber, etc, etc and have a Wicker who completely replaces my entire character's purpose by existing, even through different means.

So you're basic saying she make the game easy for others? so i wanna a nerf in Wolfgang because he alone can easily beat any bosse without almost any problems, i wanna a nerf to wendy since he can  grab thousands of food without getting a single hit, i wanna a nerf to woodie and max since they can grab thousands of valueable resources without any problem.

Each character has a power  to make the game more fun if for you is a big deal making crops, trees and bushes growing so don't make a farm and let them grow normally since  you're making the game easy for you since you're grabbing them and putting we're more convenient to you. 

You wanna make her power more hard? books don't work with 0 sanity and has a higher sanity cost and harder craft, completely fine now, noobs will almost never use her power and pro players will not get insane to spam her books or use purple amulet to get insane and  use books without problem(because is op to use end game craft to make our life easy).

But if you try to balanced the game is this way, everthing would be  OP,  hambat would be OP since makes spears useless, wormwood can't get any HP  from food  this make her hard but good players can deal  with this and she had the power to make crops, worm and wicker(two no fighters characters) could beat hard boss with enough preparation but now they are so useless that is the same as playing with a character with no power but no downside(so wilson is op now?) i don't wanna to always have a wolfgang or wig to do all the fights for me, crops and plants can grow without wicker just take some days(fighters charactes will be grinding valuables resources while this time pass) but farming characters have to think ahead to compensante the lack of power that they have with their farming skills but now we don't have this we're like a wilson but with downsides.

Switching characters is the most OP and Broken thing in this game and you  can literraly rush this and pick the better of any characters like(wig armor and spear) wolfgang to battles but people complain?.(no)

again @Lord Cafeyour comments are kinda aggressive you should really calm down

2 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

Switching characters is the most OP and Broken thing in this game and you  can literraly rush this and pick the better of any characters like(wig armor and spear) wolfgang to battles but people don't complain?.(no)

there was an entire topic about the celestial portal where some people complained about it 

also your entire reply didn't really make sense 

you do know wicker is still really good at farming?

its not like they straight up deleted her book they just nerfed it 

29 minutes ago, chirsg said:

grass plucked has a chance of spawning grass geckos, thus destroying a single tuft. I'd rather get the grass in a day rather than risking a single item that can never be returned once lost because it was left for a little too long

I think I'm missing something here. Do lureplants spawn grass gekkos while they're harvesting grass unloaded?

29 minutes ago, stranger again said:

thats one aggressive comment @Lord Cafemaybe you should calm down?

just because you don't find wicker OP doesn't mean that others will think the same 

also you do need skill to play wolfgang if you told a newbie to play wolfgang they will die 

that just means you're not good at playing wortox because he still (despite him being very OP)needs some skill to play 

And wicker don't need skill? cus is already rare to find wickers main and way harder to find the ones who fight instead of only waiting in the base spamming books(that other survivors grabbed the resources to make) and wortox is OP how? having a unique skill is not OP if you have to put effort to use he has downsides that are annoying(i don't think is annoying) i know a lot of people who says that's to hard to keep him alive because he eat to much, i eat souls 90% of the time i can keep my sanity good and still have souls but like i said there's people who don't so should Klei remove his good power because some people don't know how to play with him? we gonna punish good players to make characters bad to everyone? and wolfgang don't take skill at all you can only die with him if you don't know nothing in this game but new players  struggle with any characters even fighters characters so you can die with anyone but is a fact that players with 20h of game playing with wolf are powerfull enough to beat the main giants without anny hassle. 

Telling the trush is agresive? so i'll not reply  anymore since i can't give my feedback since is agressive to teling the truth.
I'm game developer and i know game design and balacing the game in this way is not heealth for the game. Cheers.

Edit: Agressive is someone rude to others i din't say anything rude about anyone i only said that there's much more OP characters is the game wich need more depth to make fun to their mains(more fun to people who play with them) but this community always asked a nerf for wick not because they wanna fun for wickers main but just because they hate how a farming characters in the hands of good players can do great things.

11 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

Edit: Agressive is someone rude to others i din't say anything rude about anyone i only said that there's much more OP characters is the game wich need more depth to make fun to their mains(more fun to people who play with them) but this community always asked a nerf for wick not because they wanna fun for wickers main but just because they hate how a farming characters in the hands of good players can do great things.

the only nerf the community asked is for a real downside since sleeping is forget after few hours and yes, you are being agressive like every person who has no real arguments

2 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

And wicker don't need skill? cus is already rare to find wickers main and way harder to find the ones who fight instead of only waiting in the base spamming books(that other survivors grabbed the resources to make) .

Does characters picking rate matters ? Then Wendy and Wigfrid is the most op character in the game.

5 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

Telling the trush is agresive? so i'll not reply  anymore since i can't give my feedback since is agressive to teling the truth.
I'm game developer and i know game design and balacing the game in this way is not heealth for the game. Cheers.

You are not telling truth and trying to find reasons to blame klei. If you wanted to make constructive feedback you would not argue with someone for pages.

Making negative comments are not going to help klei.

well one can say you aren't being the definition of aggressive @Lord Cafebut most people on the forums stay calm and collected which you aren't really doing by such words as this

13 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

but hey i got some real good news for you.with the new hotfix update klei said they are working on balancing wicker so you can stop arguing with the air now 

Archived