Who's the best character, in your opinion, to fish in the ocean?

Character not in the game but I hope might be someday- Walani.

Character in the game already- Wendy or Willow, now hold on let me explain Why,

For Wendy Cookie Cutter will be easy kills with Abigail, but as WILLOW Enraged Bernie can help combat away the TerrorClaw and I would imagine also any potential future sanity creatures as well.

Woodie might be good to go goose, scout around, return to boat then sail knowing what’s coming up ahead..

But my number 1 choice is still Walani because Placeable, pick-up able and replaceable Surfboard.

the three best people for the sea(in my opinion)is Walter,Wendy and willow

Walter because of his slingshot being good to attack enemies from far away

Wendy because of Abigail being really good against EVERYTHING on the ocean

willow because of Bernie being good if your insane 

out of them all i use Wendy the most for ocean related content 

with a +farmplot boat i'd go wormwood. with a no-prep boat i'd say walter. both have ridiculously good defense around sanity drain, neither have diet restrictions and both are naturally inclined to take advantage of sleeping for health so it is a gameplay style not outside of their usual terrestrial play

Willow 

- Logs put in firepit have more value, hence less log consumption.

- Campfire gives her sanity, so there is less fear of going insane.

- Even if you get insane or your crewmember is, Bernie really helps tanking terrorclaws.

- Willow is the safest to travel during summer. Extinguishes fires faster and if the fire gets out of control, she doesn't take any burn damage when using fire pump.

The two characters I would say that are S tier for sailing are:
    Wendy - because Abigail is not limited by the ground. She is able to float off the boat to keep any hostile creatures away, the only issue is the fact that Abigail can get in the way of using anchors or sails or steering if she isnt riled up, and if she is riled up, she could attack sea weeds as you go by and make them attack you.
    Maxwell - Because he can spawn shadow miners that can very easily clear sea stacks
these two are absolutely amazing if paired together, and are the dream team if you need salt 

And four characters I would say are A tier for sailing are:
    Willow - Because BERNIE! can help greatly with terror claws. But being insane will cause Wavey jones to spawn with full power, giving them the ability to remove boat patches and quickly sink your boat. (thats why she is A and not S)
    Winona - Because she is able to craft the trusty tape which can be used as boat patches, and as sewing kits which can be useful out at sea if you are wearing clothes. But she is only A tier because other characters can make sewing kits and boat patches become quite abundant when you go treasure hunting. Its also worth mentioning that she is able to make battle ships with her catapults, but its not the most worthwhile thing to do.
    Walter - Sort of a budget Abigail with how he can use his slingshot to shoot far away hostile mobs or get their attention. But this requires ammo which can be hard to acquire at sea. Another thing he has is that he doesnt lose sanity very easily, meaning there is little risk of wavey jones.
    Wickerbottom - This is because she has no real downside when it comes to sailing. And if she wanted, she is able to use her books on kelp to farm it quickly, or on any hostile mobs nearby to put them to sleep to get away easily.

And two characters I would say to avoid going sailing with are:
    Wolfgang - Mostly because of his quick hunger drain, making it so you need to get more food, and faster sanity loss at night, making wavey spawn more often unless you have a tamo
    Woodie - Because if you arent prepared, then you could transform during a full moon while you were still sailing, making it so you lose complete control of your boat and risking it crashing.

Walter, Wendy and Maxwell. Abigail is such a useful asset when fighting mobs, Maxwells shadow duelists are also wonderful for the same reason and Walter can agro enemies from afar, his slingshot is REALLY helpful for Malbatross when she moves away from your boat and starts to constantly shoot waves at you.

Even if Wormwood can harvest Sea Weeds without being attacked by them, he's still a rather bad choice to fish in the ocean:

• Most ocean dishes are focused on health instead of hunger, making them less useful for Wormwood.
  • During spring he'll suffer from his up to +100% increased hunger drain, but he won't be able to profit from his +20% Movement Speed or the +300% faster grow rate for crops.
  • Due to his sanity penalty from chopping trees he might have a hard time gathering enough boards & boat patches for his boat.

Definitely Wendy. Abigail can kill gnarwails without making a hole on the boat, can support killing malbatross and rockjaws, and even expel those annoying cookie cutters when mining salt. Also Wendy can build sisturn on the boat to maintain your sanity high, since keep your character sane in the ocean is much more important than on the land.

Walter can use slingshot to attack mobs far away but it's way harder to keep sanity high when you're starting to be hit by ocean monsters.

Maxwell could also useful in some situation like eliminate sea stacks and mining salt, but this process can be replaced by weather pains and strident trident. Most of all, the shadow puppets are incontrollable, possibly destroy valuable sea stack group which can be your future sea weed farm.

The most easy-and-profitable characters to go on boat would be Wendy and Willow, but already other people told why they perfect (and they are, I agree), but for me I found some niches where (after dealing with disadvantages, like huge sanity drain and randomness) I found not-bad to go on boat with Woodie. (But also I used a mod "make your map", to turn RoG map into some islands, so this kinda makes him more useful than on casually bare sea).
 - at first he can quickly gather tons of wood for preparation.
 - Weregoose is perfect for scouting at sea, uncovering any black piece of map, and finding deep bass shoals without risking Malbaltross attacking the main boat.
- Weregoose also allows quick travels between boat and land if somebody decides to have base on boat and prefer for some reason to leave it in middle of sea - or for quick travel from land to dummy boat on fishing spot.
- Weremoose is kinda helpful if during jump on land somebody get surprised by hounds AND doesn't have any Wendy or tooth trap field nearby.

From my perspective I would say, Walter is a trap character on sea. One lagg (or slow reaction), one shark, and Walter is nuked. And when he's out of ammo... He's out of ammo.

19 hours ago, Sgt Meph said:

Who do you think is more viable for life on the high seasWho do you think is more viable for life on the high seas

Who do you think is more viable for life on the high seas?

nobody. ocean fishing/travelling in dst are not worth it. 

Maxwell can easily amass many more logs than anyone else can without shenanigans, allowing him the easiest construction of the boat and possible fuel for it. He also has shadow miners that can walk on top of the ocean to clear the sea stacks easily, and effectively has infinite sanity from his 6.7/m passive generation.

Wendy is second place for being by far the best at amassing stingers and silk, two more things that are vital for sailing. Comboing her with Maxwell makes sailing a breeze.

8 hours ago, Duck986 said:

So because you think the ocean isn't worth it, no characters are good at ocean content? That makes no sense.

What are the "rules" of this sea challenge - once the first full moon is over go out to live the high-sea forever? or can you hop on any island on full moons days but have to jump back as soon as Charlie comes back, if it's the latter then here's my guess for The Cookie Boat Challenge tier list:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0800410e6210236b38b24e40c6a1f618.png

22 hours ago, Duck986 said:

that literally doesn't answer the question though. It was who is viable, you said nobody, and said something completely irrelevant. Also, it is just simply untrue that nobody is good on the sea

53 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

that literally doesn't answer the question though. It was who is viable, you said nobody, and said something completely irrelevant. Also, it is just simply untrue that nobody is good on the sea

characters does not have any benefits and drawbacks about fishing (even Wurt, who receive same sanity regen from ocean and freshwater fish). every character requires 100500 hours to catch an ocean fish, every character's boat is slow as heck, every character regenerate the same amount of hunger, health and sanity from eating OF. what can be compared here? 

Archived